• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

OLD/Closed General Discussion Thread: C-19/Hawaii. Will Hawaii re-open Oct. 15th? (+ NEW POLL)

When do you think Hawaii will re-open? (End 14 day quarantine.)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
So the data is in now. 7-Day moving average new cases is down to 109.6. Percent positive steady at 2.2%. Hawaii is still leading the Country with an Rt of 0.82. Appears to not be much of a Labor Day bump. That bodes well for Oct. 15 sticking.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
No...but the whole family would have to quarantine (or return to the mainland). I don't see Hawaiians separating children from their parents.

Are you kidding did you get that officially? Of course they wouldn't arrest the baby! They can't get the baby tested but the parents have tested negative. So you you are saying that they would need to quarantine for 14 days or return to the mainland? For months, and I am sure that the practice will continue in the future, people have been returning to Hawaii from the Continental United States to a dwelling with other people. The traveller needs to quarantine but the rest of the household doesn't. So the parents that tested negative must quaratine because their baby came from the Continental United States and can't be tested?

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Are you kidding did you get that officially? Of course they wouldn't arrest the baby! They can't get the baby tested but the parents have tested negative. So you you are saying that they would need to quarantine for 14 days or return to the mainland? For months, and I am sure that the practice will continue in the future, people have been returning to Hawaii from the Continental United States to a dwelling with other people. The traveller needs to quarantine but the rest of the household doesn't. So the parents that tested negative must quaratine because their baby came from the Continental United States and can't be tested?
1600485302686.png

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
. . .

I have a feeling, however, that when they get to the details, it won't be 72 hours. It'll be 3 days. If you arrive on 8/24 you need to have been tested no earlier than 8/21. To do otherwise would be getting into issues of minutes or seconds even. Imagine you're standing in line, next up, and the person in front of you is struggling with their English and your 72 hours runs while standing there. I don't imagine that's a problem they want to deal with.

I think you'll have to arrive not later than the 3rd day after the sample was collected without regard to whether the sample was collected at 10:00am or 2:00pm.

The State Department of Health has changed their FAQ to indicate "three days" instead of "72 hours".

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 10.26.38 PM.png

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There had been discussion about 72 hours and would it be exactly 72 hours. The Hawaii State Department of Health has changed the language to "three days" as in "Evidence of a negative COVID-19 test result must be provided upon arrival to the Hawaiian Islands. For this option, the State of Hawai‘i is requiring all travelers to Hawai‘i to take an FDA-authorized NAAT test from a CLIA certified laboratory no earlier than three days before your flight arrival date."

So it would appear as long as one's flight is not delayed to the fourth day one should not be concerned if arrival in Hawaii is 80 hours after taking the test.

My personal situation regarding upcoming trip to Hawaii (on Oct 5) reminds me of the "farmer, fox, chicken, grain" riddle. If I depart SFO on 10/04, should I get a test then? I would still be planning to quarantine 10/04 to 10/15. But, 'what if' I was struck by a false positive reading? Perhaps it's better for me to forego the test and quarantine until 10/18 as already planned?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
My personal situation regarding upcoming trip to Hawaii (on Oct 5) reminds me of the "farmer, fox, chicken, grain" riddle. If I depart SFO on 10/04, should I get a test then? I would still be planning to quarantine 10/04 to 10/15. But, 'what if' I was struck by a false positive reading? Perhaps it's better for me to forego the test and quarantine until 10/18 as already planned?

The way the previous quarantines that were to expire (but didn't) worked was you would have no choice but to quarantine for the full 14 days if you arrived prior to the expiration of the quarantine order. Therefore if you arrived October 14 you would be required to quarantine until October 28 regardless if you had proof of a negative test.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The way the previous quarantines that were to expire (but didn't) worked was you would have no choice but to quarantine for the full 14 days if you arrived prior to the expiration of the quarantine order. Therefore if you arrived October 14 you would be required to quarantine until October 28 regardless if you had proof of a negative test.
Thank you for this information.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
The State Department of Health has changed their FAQ to indicate "three days" instead of "72 hours".

View attachment 26721
This definitely changes the calculus quite a bit. Assume you are going to Hawaii on Thursday. You can be tested early Monday, and schedule your flight for the afternoon Thursday. That gives you 24 hours, 48 hours, even 72 hours to get test results BEFORE you even head to the airport. In most cases that ought to be enough. It also means you can schedule another test for, say, Tuesday morning and probably have that result back too, virtually eliminating the false positive risks.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
SEVENTY-ONE Tuggers have responded to the poll - awesome!

(And even better no one has acted like a jackass in this new thread!!!) ;)

Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Reporting 77 new cases. Seems the Labor Day bump was 160. It rose to that and now steadily declining. Lt. Gov. says he‘s looking for not over 150/day on average, and Hawaii is now well below that for the last 14 days. The remaining test then is the reopening, first within the Islands, then with travelers. It does show, however, that the ability to control the virus is entirely in the hands of the residents (and visitors eventually).

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I spent time calling both Kaiser and CVS, in regards to COVID-19 testing, since we were hoping to obtain the test for a trip in Nov/Dec 2020.

1) Kaiser states you must be a member, and members need to get approval first,
2) CVS stated they do not have details About this partnership at this time but will come October 15th

so, at this time we have no Information on obtaining an acceptable Covid-19 test. I have reached out to my primary care physician to see if they can assist, but not optimistic on getting this test nor any details. We are not members of Kaiser, so my only way at this time is thru CVS, once available, however, the website indicates no location within at least 100 miles, here in Oregon.

if My information from CVS and Kaiser is correct, there may not be many people from state of Oregon going to Hawaii.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spent time calling both Kaiser and CVS, in regards to COVID-19 testing, since we were hoping to obtain the test for a trip in Nov/Dec 2020.

1) Kaiser states you must be a member, and members need to get approval first,
2) CVS stated they do not have details About this partnership at this time but will come October 15th

so, at this time we have no Information on obtaining an acceptable Covid-19 test. I have reached out to my primary care physician to see if they can assist, but not optimistic on getting this test nor any details. We are not members of Kaiser, so my only way at this time is thru CVS, once available, however, the website indicates no location within at least 100 miles, here in Oregon.

if My information from CVS and Kaiser is correct, there may not be many people from state of Oregon going to Hawaii.

Suggestion: Contact the Department of Health for the State of Oregon, explain you situation, and they may be able to guide you.

Additionally, the State's web site for the Health Department may have this information posted......

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Also the Hawaii state information says that as long as the labs meet certain qualifications you can use another location other than CVS or Kaiser. https://www.gohawaii.com/safe-travels
  • What types of COVID-19 tests are accepted and where can I get a test? Results from any FDA-authorized NAAT test, processed by a CLIA certified lab taken within 72 hours of arrival. Current approved trusted testing partners are: CVS and Kaiser Permanente.
I realize that that will be unnerving to use someone other than CVS or Kaiser but it is another alternative. Quest Diagnostics also seems to meet the qualifications. I'm personally hoping that CVS gets their act together soon, but I am going to set up an appointment at Quest as a back up.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
It would have been great if all the information was available when they announced the new date, but the details have always seem like they are still in process...

If your not traveling until Nov, there should be plenty of time for it all to get settled and published. Or at least i hope so,,,

Some of the Hawaii State officials mentioned the possibility of getting Kaiser to test non-members but that was supposed to negotiated at a later time.. Personably I think CVS will be your best bet assuming you live near a CVS that offers testing.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Son and his Father-in-Law got tested at an Urgent Care Center. You might start checking with those in your neighborhood...

George
I thought the state wanted the tests to be within specified systems so that officials could verify?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes this is correct. Waiver for quarantine as i understand it applies of you arrive from.Oct 15th not prior.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
So how would this work for those out-of-country travelers? No CVS in Canada and trying to guess when you will get your test result back is like playing the lottery (you're told anywhere from 1-8 days now!)

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I thought the state wanted the tests to be within specified systems so that officials could verify?

See post #3 above and the link to the safe travels page. I believe that it indicates that as long as the lab meets the stated qualifications their test results will be accepted. Do you read it that way too?

For Canadians it looks like the FDA authorized facility requirement may make it difficult to comply.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So how would this work for those out-of-country travelers? No CVS in Canada and trying to guess when you will get your test result back is like playing the lottery (you're told anywhere from 1-8 days now!)

Well since the US has a travel ban with Canada and Hawaii is a us state would it not follow that Canadians can't go to Hawaii??? or is it just the Border crossingsl that are closed.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Well since the US has a travel ban with Canada and Hawaii is a us state would it not follow that Canadians can't go to Hawaii??? or is it just the Border crossingsl that are closed.
Only land and maritime borders are affected by the “ban”. Canadians can travel to the US by air.

Canada still has a 14 day quarantine for anyone returning and bans non-Canadians and non-residents from entering Canada by any mode of travel.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
See post #3 above and the link to the safe travels page. I believe that it indicates that as long as the lab meets the stated qualifications their test results will be accepted. Do you read it that way too?

For Canadians it looks like the FDA authorized facility requirement may make it difficult to comply.
Its confusing because in that same paragraph it talks abour trusted partners and names CVS and Kaiser as being approved at this time.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
Also the Hawaii state information says that as long as the labs meet certain qualifications you can use another location other than CVS or Kaiser. https://www.gohawaii.com/safe-travels
  • What types of COVID-19 tests are accepted and where can I get a test? Results from any FDA-authorized NAAT test, processed by a CLIA certified lab taken within 72 hours of arrival. Current approved trusted testing partners are: CVS and Kaiser Permanente.
I realize that that will be unnerving to use someone other than CVS or Kaiser but it is another alternative. Quest Diagnostics also seems to meet the qualifications. I'm personally hoping that CVS gets their act together soon, but I am going to set up an appointment at Quest as a back up.

Most any legit lab is CLIA certified, its the fed gov't standards and required for reimbursement of Medicare. You could call your local health dept or local lab and they should know the current turn around time for COVID tests and where to get one. My lab non emergent testing is getting done within 48 hours, DM me if you're in Michigan and I can give you some leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.