• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Your opinion: Nice SW Florida resorts within 30 mins of Fort Myers - Summer months

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I a copying the idea by another member but wondering if any suggestion change when looking for summer months (school out). We would also like to be close to Ft. Myers near family. I have not had any luck with random RCI searches, but I have not made an ongoing search yet.

We need:
  • 2-3 bedroom (sleeps 6)
  • near swimming beach on the Gulf
  • UPDATED, well-maintained, clean rooms
  • CLEAN pool, hot tub, lounge seating available
  • free parking

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Random, spot-check searching for SW FL is virtually useless IMO. Enter an ongoing search now for summer dates in 2018 and 2019 that could work for you, for a few resorts and modify/expand the search as you learn of more resorts and acceptable dates. Next August, enter an ongoing search for summer 2020. You can always cancel a search later if you don't need it. Sorry I can't help with resorts.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go to www.vrbo.com We rented a 3-brdm house in Naples (with in-ground pool) 2-3 years ago. On golf course.. It was called Lely Resorts . About half hour from Ft Myers..
FYI...This not a t/s....

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Which part of fort Myers? It is pretty spread out. Two timeshares on Vanderbilt beach in Naples are decent. I would consider that a half hour from fort myers

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Random, spot-check searching for SW FL is virtually useless IMO. Enter an ongoing search now for summer dates in 2018 and 2019 that could work for you, for a few resorts and modify/expand the search as you learn of more resorts and acceptable dates. Next August, enter an ongoing search for summer 2020. You can always cancel a search later if you don't need it. Sorry I can't help with resorts.
I believe you are correct because i feel like i have just wasted my time. I thought since I was not looking for winter season it would be easier. I was wrong. LOL

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
One problem is you have asked for updated rooms. There are a lot of places that have not been updated. We just stayed at Via Roma near Bradenton beach. I would not call updated at all, but it was on the beach. I live near fort Myers so I don't trade into the fort Myers resorts. Everyone who lives here leaves for a few months if they can, and you would think there would be lots of availability.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I've lost interest in the Ft Myers Beach and Sanibel areas since all the trouble from brown water releases from Lake Okeechobee.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I just did a search for SW Florida and 9 resorts came up just on Ft Myers Beach, there were a total of 19 available resorts.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
When I look at RCI weeks and narrow the SW FL search to only a 2BR+, with check-in between June 15 - August 19, 2018, I only see one option in Fort Myers Beach: Tropical Sands #0721 and the unit is a 2BR 6/6 with twin beds in the 2nd BR (so you'd need to have 2 on the LR sleeper sofa). Having never been there, I can't comment on the place itself. HTH.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tropical sands is roomy, has a nice pool. It is across the street from beach side, but there is a lagoon and to get to the beach you must walk around the lagoon. I have no idea if the resort has been updated.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Lagoon.JPG

It's a long walk to the beach from Tropical Sands

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I look at RCI weeks and narrow the SW FL search to only a 2BR+, with check-in between June 15 - August 19, 2018, I only see one option in Fort Myers Beach: Tropical Sands #0721 and the unit is a 2BR 6/6 with twin beds in the 2nd BR (so you'd need to have 2 on the LR sleeper sofa). Having never been there, I can't comment on the place itself.

Stayed at Tropical sands for a week earlier this year. All units (around 40 in total) are identical. All are 2BR and spacious (about 1300 square feet).

That being said, there is very little about the place that could be accurately described as "updated". New flooring was apparently installed recently --- dark, fake wood vinyl replaced the former carpeting. Other than that unimpressive "update", although the place is clean and reasonably well maintained, it is of early 1980's construction and the tired unit interiors certainly reflect that fact.

We enjoyed our stay and appreciated the unexpectedly ample amount of space. Washer and dryer inside each unit. King size bed and attached master bath. Second bedroom is much smaller, with two twin beds and a second bathroom nearby which, although clean, obviously has not seen any noteworthy changes since the place was first constructed nearly forty years ago.

As previously noted, there is indeed some walking required to reach the beach. Whether it's a "long" walk is subjective; we certainly didn't think so.
In any case, the small number of people on the beach once we got there made that walk entirely worthwhile for us. YMMV.

P.S. One additional note: I don't know if "exchanges" into TSR identify a specific available unit in advance, but be advised that all units there with either the letter "D" or "K" (1D, 3K, etc.), regardless of which one of the (3) levels the unit is on, are somewhat "tucked behind the wall" of their adjoining building. Sitting in the screened lanai of those "D" and "K" units certainly provides shade and privacy, but the only "view" from those "D" and "K" lanais is primarily one of the nearby adjoining wall. Then again, the only "view" from any unit on the TSR property is only of the pool area anyhow, since high rise condos across the street completely obscure any view of the Gulf. We liked the place anyhow and we certainly enjoyed our stay. As always, to each their own. YMMV.

Last edited: