• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Your opinion: Nice RCI resorts within walking distance of a SW Florida beach?

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Looking for ideas for resort exchanges during relative high season. It's nearly impossible to trade into Sanibel/Captiva via RCI. We don't need high-end finishes or lots of organized activities. 2BRs are best but a comfortable 1BR could work - no studios.

We especially appreciate these features:
  • southwest Florida, SOUTH of Tampa/Clearwater, which is much too congested for our taste
  • within WALKING distance of a swimming beach on the Gulf
  • UPDATED, well-maintained, clean rooms
  • CLEAN pool, hot tub, lounge seating available
  • free parking
  • no more than one flight of stairs required to reach the room, or have an elevator
What are your resort recommendations? TIA! :hi:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We own at Calini Beach Resort in Siesta Key, just outside Sarasota. Short walk to the beach from our timeshare. Beach is on property but timeshare is set back, so you are not walking on the street. I see them on RCI. We have ours booked thru 2020. On exchanges.
It’s a nice resort. There are others right near Sarasota Sands is very close by too.
Silentg

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I think anything south of Tampa in SW FL prime time will be a difficult trade. You will need a high rci tpu value to get it if it becomes available.

Gulf Tides, longboat key would meet your criteria.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think more important than even high tpu's would be an early search. I think for every one unit deposited that meets your criteria there are probably 10-20 or more RCI members looking for such a place. The fact that RCI doesn't value those types of more modest smaller resorts means that owners aren't going to be tempted to deposit for the measly 17-25 tpu's that RCI is probably offering. Many such resorts also help their owners rent those fairly prime time units.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Eagle's Nest, Marco Island, would be a good one to try.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are four on Marco on south collier blvd. There are a few in Bradenton beach, and on longboat key, siesta key, ones on lido key are older. Two on Vanderbilt beach may or may not be updated. You need to read the tug reviews and make a list and start a search

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My daughters and I stayed at Indian Shores one year in June. Walking distance to a beach, had a pool, units were spacious.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for ideas for resort exchanges during relative high season. It's nearly impossible to trade into Sanibel/Captiva via RCI. We don't need high-end finishes or lots of organized activities. 2BRs are best but a comfortable 1BR could work - no studios.

We especially appreciate these features:
  • southwest Florida, SOUTH of Tampa/Clearwater, which is much too congested for our taste
  • within WALKING distance of a swimming beach on the Gulf
  • UPDATED, well-maintained, clean rooms
  • CLEAN pool, hot tub, lounge seating available
  • free parking
  • no more than one flight of stairs required to reach the room, or have an elevator
What are your resort recommendations? TIA! :hi:

Family member owns a few winter weeks at Tropical Sands Resort in Fort Myers Beach, at the southern (quiet) end of the island. We have stayed there; the place meets your above identified criteria, but I don't know what your idea of "congested" might be; Fort Myers Beach is plenty busy during the winter.

All Tropical Sands Resort units (around 40 in total, iirc) are identical; all are very spacious 2BR units. That being said however, in my observation and experience demand seems to consistently exceed supply during Snowbird season throughout most all of coastal SW FL (not just Sanibel / Captiva), so I suspect that your odds of "exchanging in" to your identified geographic area and time frame might be quite slim. I know that my family never deposits for exchange when unable to use their intervals --- rentals evidently always quickly and easily command 150+% of their maintenance fee amount.

Last edited:

Lisa P

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Siesta Key sounds nice, we like the Sarasota area away from the in-town high rises and traffic. Thanks Silentg.

Panina & tschwa2, I agree, this is a tough trade region. We have flexibility of travel dates, request well in advance, and we don't worry about TPUs with Wyndham points. But it's still a tough trade. Just don't want to trade into one that requires a drive to the beach or a run-down property.

Cindy & rapmarks, we stayed at Charter Club on Marco Island many years ago and walked past Eagle's Nest, both very nice. We've visited my mother when she's wintered in Bradenton Beach but just for a couple days - fly down, fly back, just to check in on her. I don't know which specific resorts are located directly on the beach in the region.

Luanne, we had not considered Indian Shores because of its proximity to the city of Tampa. Is the beach very busy?

theo, Tropical Sands sounds nice, thanks. We would be delighted with an exchange between early December and early April. Our idea of congested is a more urban setting with lots of concrete, tall buildings, loud traffic, and crowded beaches. In SC, Myrtle Beach feels more congested and Hilton Head Island feels less so. In FL, Daytona Beach is more, St. Augustine is less. Since we've never been there, how does Fort Myers Beach compare?

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
theo, Tropical Sands sounds nice, thanks. We would be delighted with an exchange between early December and early April. Our idea of congested is a more urban setting with lots of concrete, tall buildings, loud traffic, and crowded beaches. In SC, Myrtle Beach feels more congested and Hilton Head Island feels less so. In FL, Daytona Beach is more, St. Augustine is less. Since we've never been there, how does Fort Myers Beach compare?

I can't and won't make comparisons, having been to HHI and / or Myrtle Beach only once each, both visits quite a few years ago --- and Daytona Beach and / or St. Augustine not at all. I'll instead just try to objectively and very generally "describe" Fort Myers Beach (aka Estero Island):

It's about 5 miles long and about 1/2 mile wide, a barrier island with a combination of residential neighborhoods, high rise condos and non-high rise rental properties which are timeshare resorts and motels, for the most part. The Gulf of Mexico is on one side of the island, Estero Bay on the other.

The northern end of FMB (The Pier, Times Square, Matanzas Pass) is usually quite congested and frankly (IMnsHO) also quite tacky --- T shirt / trinket / tourist shops, more than a few bars --- a Hooters, several pubs, two liquor stores. Public beach at Times Square / Pier has the only public (metered, iirc) beach parking available on Estero Island and is accordingly usually very crowded. Many (too many?) drunken college Spring Break "students" grace the northern end of FMB with their inebriated presence during a few weeks (mostly weeks 9, 10) in March each year. Many seem to lodge at a huge place called Lani Kai, if not staying in Mommy and Daddy's condo or timeshare. They are generally harmless --- just immature, too loud, a bit obnoxious and "not ready for prime time".

The southern end of Estero Island is much quieter. No public parking available, so the beach there is never too crowded. There is a small strip mall called Santini Plaza with some shops and several restaurants, a hardware store, a very mediocre quality ice cream shoppe, but no Tshirt / trinket / souvenir joints. Vehicle traffic anywhere on Fort Myers Beach is frankly a nightmare in "high season" at any time of day except early morning. That horrendous traffic situation is currently exacerbated further by a multi-year sewer and drainage installation project, moving in segments from north to south on Estero Blvd.

That's all I can tell you. I like Tropical Sands and the southern end of FMB, but chances of exchanging in anytime during the winter months are slim to none. With the exception of an excellent restaurant called Fresh Catch Bistro and / or an occasional visit to water-surrounded, County run Bowditch Park, we don't go out of our way to spend much time at the northern end of FMB. Publix grocery store is about in the middle of the island on Estero Blvd. Trolley runs up and down Estero Blvd, but the trolley obviously moves at the very same pace (i.e., slowly or not at all) as all the rest of the vehicle traffic.

Hope this limited bit of random info helps you a little. If not, I gladly offer a 110% refund of what you have paid me for the input. :D

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I hardly ever see anything like that available on RCI. I don't think the owners deposit their weeks - they use them.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think tropical sands is a good walk, especially if you are slepping beach equipment, cross a busy street, walk through the buildings then a walk around the lagoon. We did walk down a couple blocks and cut through the holiday inn building a couple of times. There is windward passage and several resorts that were rather dumpy when we looked, and we Looked hard because my daughter wanted her wedding on that beach and insisted wedding, lodging, and food be in same place. Bradenton beach has smugglers. Cove, resort 66 and via Roma, just go to tug reviews. Also I see some rentals of resort 66 this December on Facebook, bluegreen condos for rent. They are one bedroom.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Luanne, we had not considered Indian Shores because of its proximity to the city of Tampa. Is the beach very busy?
We were there in June to get my younger dd settled into college in St. Petersburg. We really didn't spend much time at the beach. I went over one morning for about an hour, and it wasn't crowded at all.

fox4mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please check my ad here on TUG. Lighthouse Resort and Club on Sanibel, Gold Crown, week 18 at a very low price.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think tropical sands is a good walk, especially if you are slepping beach equipment, cross a busy street, walk through the buildings then a walk around the lagoon. We did walk down a couple blocks and cut through the holiday inn building a couple of times.

I'm guessing it's been a while since you were there. You're right about having to cross Estero Blvd to utilize the (private, deeded, fence-bordered) owners' right of way to the shore, but it is not necessary to walk anywhere near as far as the Holiday Inn property in order to traverse or circumvent the lagoon.

That said, I haven't seen the shoreline (or changes thereto) since Hurricane Irma last month. Family members (without us) will be there next in March, 2018.

OP: There is also a VRI-managed timeshare resort on FMB called Mariners Boat House, located diagonally across Estero Blvd (on the Gulf side) from Tropical Sands. All I know about Mariners is that weeks there are "Friday to Friday" (unusual for that area); I dunno anything at all about their unit sizes. :shrug:

Last edited:

Lisa P

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Wow, theo, great info, exactly what I need. Thanks!

Actually, thank you to all posters... this is a very useful discussion. :thumbup: I really appreciate your thoughts! :clap:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
If you locate Tropical Sands and Mariner's Boathouse on Google Earth, you will clearly see their proximity to what we have always called the stinky lagoon from back in the JLB days. You can see what it takes to get to the beach -
Lagoon.JPG

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you locate Tropical Sands and Mariner's Boathouse on Google Earth, you will clearly see their proximity to what we have always called the stinky lagoon from back in the JLB days.

It is neither my place nor my intent to defend either property mentioned above, but what you refer to as the "stinky lagoon", the county and state identify as "critical wildlife habitat", frequented by many native and migrating birds which routinely feed there. We spent a week at Tropical Sands in March of last year and neither saw nor smelled anything "stinky" about the lagoon; perhaps that description was accurate in bygone days of yesteryear; I do not know :shrug:.
I also don't know how current that (undated) Google Earth satellite photo above might be, nor if there may be significant shoreline changes created by Hurricane Irma last month. In any event, we'd surely agree that no one can just walk out the doors of either property (add Caribbean Beach Club too, right next door to Mariners Boat House) and stick their toes directly into the Gulf of Mexico.

All of that aside, there are also several other Gulf front timeshare properties on FMB located north of the aforementioned "lagoon", but still well south of the congestion and chaos of the Pier / Times Square area. Right off the top of my head, those properties include Island Towers, Kahlua Beach Club, Sea Watch (which is a HGVC property), Lahaina Inn and Estero Beach Club. I don't know anything about exchange company affiliations or unit sizes at any one of those places, but all would surely be difficult to "trade into" anytime during the winter months / Snowbird season.

There are a handful of other timeshare properties on FMB, but I personally would not even consider staying anywhere (in a timeshare or any other lodging) north of the Publix grocery store, which is located about "mid-island". YMMV.

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I'll assume they are looking for a nice beach to swim from, not a critical wildlife refuge. I'm just pointing out these resorts are clearly not right on the beach.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll assume they are looking for a nice beach to swim from, not a critical wildlife refuge. I'm just pointing out these resorts are clearly not right on the beach.

I make no assumptions, but will note that OP specifically identified (quote) "within WALKING distance of a swimming beach on the Gulf" as a criterion.
I merely offered some specific options and observations fulfilling that (...and all the other) criteria which the OP identified, based upon my own first hand experience at FMB earlier this year (and in numerous previous years). I am not peddling or disparaging any particular properties there --- just describing.

Btw, we enjoyed swimming from the very nice and completely uncrowded beach right on the other side of the "lagoon". We walked from Tropical Sands.
As always, to each their own. :shrug:

You've mentioned "back in the JLB days". Wasn't JLB the guy who managed to get himself permanently booted off TUG?
I don't recall (or care) how or why, but that was certainly a noteworthy and seemingly very difficult accomplishment.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would pick tropical sands over mariners boathouse or Caribbean beach house, with the understanding that it is a ten to fifteen minute walk to the beach, carrying anything you want to bring, and no facilities on the beach, If I were exchanging for a beach vacation, I would not pick these resorts as my first choice. The Bonita beach club which is on the bay side is across the street from the beach, but there is a restroom on that beach. It is not a fancy resort either. Exactly what is walking distance to the beach? A beach with chairs. Restroom, refreshments, I wouldn't mind walking a way. That is a busy street and occasionally a pedestrian is struck by a car crossing it.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
One other comment about the Boathouse - It's called that for a reason. The rooms are very small, similar to what you see on a boat, and the furniture resembles what you would find on a boat. The rooms are small, the bunkbeds are small, the kitchen and dining area is tiny. If you ever spent time on a sailboat you might really appreciate this place