• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Yosemite Roads...how exciting?

Steve

Reaction score
I have a family member who is afraid of heights...particularly mountain roads with cliffs and drop offs. She was quite uncomfortable on some of the roads around Lake Tahoe on our recent trip...especially the Emerald Bay area.

We're thinking about visiting Yosemite, and I am hoping that some of you can advise me on the roads. What is the best route to take? I know to avoid Tioga Pass and the east entrance. I have been to Yosemite once before, but it was 17 years ago, and it's a little hard to remember. I read somewhere that the south entrance was the best and most forested. Any suggestions? Are all the roads dramatic...or is there a mellow route into Yosemite Valley?

Thanks,

Steve

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
At this point you only have 2 choices coming from the West. Hwy. 140 through Mariposa has been blocked for months due to a major landslide and it isn't expected to be cleared in the near future. I don't think any part of the road into Yosemite has the switch backs like the road near Emerald Bay, but the Sierras are full of high mountain passes with no guard rails. If you are going to drive into high elevations, I don't know how you avoid heights??? Maybe she would benefit from seeing her Dr. for some medication for the drive.
http://www.thedesktop.com/scenic/images/miscellaneous/Yosemite_map_lg.gif

Lee B

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was in Yosemite a couple weeks ago. From the SF Bay Area, the route is 120. It is windy in parts, and I guess a scardy would find it troublesome, but my sister is fussy about being knocked around and she didn't complain.

In the park itself, they had an electric sign that said 140 was open for traffic both ways. If you can use 140, it would be the best for your needs, I think (I know nothing about route 40). It's called the All Weather Highway because it comes in next to the Merced River, which carved Yosemite. So you are in the lowest possible elevations going into Yosemite Valley.

Investigate using the Internet or call either the park service or the Curry Company vendor that provides housing inside the valley. They will know the status of 140 for your travel dates.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Last edited:

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trip West tidbit

Yosemite yesterday.
All roads open.
No way without highup drop-offs.
That's part of the great ride.
Blindfold might help her!!!
BTW, Bridlefalls had a little water. Yosemite Falls had none.
What a BIG BUMMER

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My recollections/reactions from my one trip there:

The road from the south is forested, and I thought it was a bit dull actually - for the first 2/3 or 3/4 maybe. Then close to the valley it gets much prettier, and more dramatic (and high), there's an overlook where everyone stops for photo opps. I was glad we weren't staying in Fish Camp area, because for me more than 1 or 2 drives to the valley from there would have been tedious.

140, if you can get there, was much more scenic the whole way IMO, but not scary. We stayed in a motel near El Portal, and I was glad for the choice because the drive was so beautiful.

From Yosemite we proceeded to Tahoe and were advised to cut back over to the interstate rather than the scenic mountain road that looks much faster on the map but was purportedly very slo-o-o-www and windy, so we did.