• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Yosemite | II resorts | Week 12 (Tiogo Pass prob closed)

Helen_Colorado

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi -
Our family of four would like to visit Yosemite, using an II trade, in Week 12 (spring break).
Everything I've read suggests that if you can't get over Tiogo pass, which usually doesn't open until April, that you really can't visit Yosemite from the resorts that I've found on II in the area.

Here's what I have looked at:
Worldmark Bass Lake
Worldmark Angels Camp
Mountain Retreat (Arnold)
Heidelberg Inn

They aren't even really that close, but a good base for exploration then tacking on a couple of self-pay days somewhere in the park or on the other side made it seem reasonable (we'll be driving).

So - are there other options that anyone knows of in II that are on the other side of Tiogo Pass from the resorts listed above?

I'll look in summer, too, but I don't think I have enough trading power.

Thanks!

DianneL

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tioga Pass

We were at Yosemite a few years ago. Traveled from Lake Tahoe and spent a few days at Yosemite. We traveled mid-May and Tioga had just opened that week. We are going to be at Worldmark Bass Lake in a few weeks and plan to visit Yosemite again from there.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Hi -
Our family of four would like to visit Yosemite, using an II trade, in Week 12 (spring break).
Everything I've read suggests that if you can't get over Tiogo pass, which usually doesn't open until April, that you really can't visit Yosemite from the resorts that I've found on II in the area.

Here's what I have looked at:
Worldmark Bass Lake
Worldmark Angels Camp
Mountain Retreat (Arnold)
Heidelberg Inn

They aren't even really that close, but a good base for exploration then tacking on a couple of self-pay days somewhere in the park or on the other side made it seem reasonable (we'll be driving).

So - are there other options that anyone knows of in II that are on the other side of Tiogo Pass from the resorts listed above?

I'll look in summer, too, but I don't think I have enough trading power.

Thanks!

The only resort listed that would involve Tioga Pass is Heidelberg Inn. Heidelberg is at June Lake east of the Sierras and the other three are west of the Sierras. Any of the others would work for Yosemite in the spring. In March, Bass Lake is the best option.

Tioga Pass is the east entrance to Yosemite via the high country through Toulumne Meadows. That whole area won't melt out until much later and will likely be closed during your stay unless the winter weather is weird. It's a beautiful area, but doesn't fit your timeframe so take it off your list. In March, your focus will be on the Valley for the waterfalls or the Sequoia groves both of which are on the west side of the pass and accessed via the Central Valley.
Bass Lake is half an hour from the Mariposa Grove of Sequoias and a hour and a half from the valley through the park or 2 hours going around if the road is closed. Angels Camp is possible, but 3 hours plus to the Valley so you would be better off with a private rental.

Sue

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can recommend Worldmark Bass Lake. Yes, it isn't right at Yosemite, but the drive isn't bad, and the resort (and communities of Bass Lake and Oakhurst) is quite nice.

Jim

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
This area doesn't have a lot of timeshare intimately close. So, perhaps consider just renting a hotel room. Lee Vining is one area and Mariposa is another good area.

BTW, Sequoia is also close by and is equally beautiful.

If you are staying at the north end, consider going to Bodie National Park. It is an old gold mining town that is being preserved in an "arrested state of decay". It is worth going to (including the 5 miles of washboard road).

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can recommend Worldmark Bass Lake. Yes, it isn't right at Yosemite, but the drive isn't bad, and the resort (and communities of Bass Lake and Oakhurst) is quite nice.

Jim

Drive is about an hour and a half, and goes nowhere near Tioga.

At least one of the days you are going to drive to Mariposa Grove anyway, and that's on the way.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
When we go to Yosemite in late winter (usually April) we rent an RV in Clovis and drive in. It's easy to reserve a campsite with a few months notice. At least you are out of the weather. Usually it's cold at night but not too bad during the day, although one year it got down to the 20's at night and that was uncomfortable. (There's a noise curfew at night so you can't use your generator). This is a pretty cost effective way to stay in the valley.

I guess you could use Bass Lake as a base but you will appreciate the park so much more if you stay in the valley. I can't recommend it enough. If camping isn't your thing there are rooms in the valley but they're pricey. You may also want to consider a rental in Yosemite West, but again, you'll be commuting to the valley every day.

Btw, Tioga Rd. usually opens in late June. Obviously it's been earlier the past few years because of the drought. We've even seen it open after July 4th.

Helen_Colorado

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yosemite ... thanks!

Thanks everyone.
We're thinking spring break may not be the best time to try to combine both Yosemite and a timeshare we have access to - we've got to change our timing or our travel approach!

saabman

Reaction score
FYI –– The Mariposa Grove of Sequoias is closed for a restoration project until approximately spring 2017.

re: Tioga Road –– opened this year May 4; 2014 May 11th. In 2011 it didn't open until June 18th.

Come early to see the waterfalls. Come in Sept and they'll be all dried up but still great hiking opportunities.