• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Yellowstone trip...drive a motorhome or fly/rent a motorhome?

J9sling

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are planning our Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip for next summer. I had thought an RV would be a terrific choice to visit those parks. We checked into RV rentals out of Salt Lake (the cheapest, closest place to fly into) and found that the total costs of an RV (rental rates, mileage, unknown gas prices, camp fees) were going to far exceed the cost of staying in hotels in the park. Even thought the RV thing sounded fun I think we'll hold off for another trip where we can be more certain of some of the costs.

I've been researching the pros and cons of RVing in Yellowstone and one thing I had not thought of was the inconvenience of pulling over an RV for those spur-of-the-moment wildlife sightings. The roads in the park are not necessarily very wide so doing so in an RV might be a bit cumbersome. I had also read that the Fishing Bridge RV park was a pretty tight squeeze for the larger RV's and there was not much room for awnings/picnic tables next to the RV.

We're a little bummed about not doing the RV but very excited about staying in the parks.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

bluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will love Yellowstone NP. I have been there more years than not the last 50. We have camped in a tent, camper, trailer, and motorhome. We have stayed inside the park in the lodges and inn at Old Faithful, Mammoth, and Canyon. Last year we camped in the campgrounds in a tent and the best airbed I could find. Last month we stayed at Island Park Village and drove back and forth. Taking different loops each time we entered. Trying to cover the areas we wanted to see wildlife early in the morning and later in the evening. We have also stayed in cabins, and motels outside the park and drove in each day.

I totally agree with the last post that a motorhome is very inconvenient. It is hard to find parking and the roads are narrow and windy, and makes it hard to navigate. And, as stated very hard to pull off and watch and photograph the wildlife.

If you want to camp, rough it and stay in a tent, it really is safe. If you want the Yellowstone atmosphere stay in the park at Old Faithful Inn and at Mammoth and/or Canyon. Have the elk sit outside your window at Mammoth and the Bison wander around Old Faithful.

Take a trip from Canyon and sit at a lookout at Mt. Washburn and see bear, wolf, moose, elk, bison, coyote, and fox all in the same valley and the same morning. (Get there early)

As you can tell I love Yellowstone NP. You will too. You might enjoy even more and for half the cost if you stay inside the park and not rent the motorhome.

geekette

Reaction score
Or take the middle ground and rent a pop-up. More comfortable than a tent, and you don't have to haul it everywhere, plus, you still have kitchen.

geekette

Reaction score
not if you consider the rv your transport.

I wouldn't rent an rv and tow a car - gas mileage would be abysmal.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Denise, I'm a regular Yellowstone visitor, and have a few points for you to consider:

It's a great idea to use a motorhome to travel TO Yellowstone, but I'm against motorhome travel THROUGH the park, simply because it's not set up for the size of a vehicle like that.

Driving in Yellowstone can be tricky due to the twisting, narrow roads, heavy traffic, and animals who may cross the road without warning. Sudden stops and traffic jams are common, often due to nothing more than Bambi standing alongside a roadway, and everyone stopping wherever they can to take a picture. Depending on the size of your motorhome and time of year you'd be traveling there, transiting the park can be pretty treacherous. There are few motorhome-sized turnouts, and some roads are in pretty poor shape. If you were driving in the park and you found a sudden reason to stop, (e.g. the aforementioned Bambi, or a geyser going off, or another "hurry up or we'll miss it" site), you may not find a suitable place to safely park a motorhome right then and there. Your safety has to be your primary concern.

There is only ONE campground in Yellowstone that has RV hookups. (Fishing Bridge Campground, by Yellowstone Lake.) Reservations there are a requirement, and need to be made about a year in advance, if not longer. Unless things have changed in the last year or two, all the other campgrounds inside the park are on a first-come basis, and they fill up fast. But even if they can be reserved ahead of time now, you may or may not find a campsite large enough to accommodate a motorhome. Showers in the park are few and far between, and if you used the one inside the motorhome, you'd need to find a dump station to empty the holding tanks.

Then there is the issue of uprooting the motorhome each day, packing everything up, and driving off to see the park. You'd constantly be packing or unpacking thngs, leveling the RV, and making sure things won't fly around the inside of the motorhome while you're driving. Add in the sheer number of miles driving through Yellowstone requires, and you'd quickly add to the allotted mileage your rental allows.

The thing about motorhomes is it's more about the JOURNEY, not the DESTINATION. (That's why they have an engine - they're designed to be moving.) If you want to see stuff between your home and Yellowstone, too, then I'd say go ahead and rent the RV, and deal with whatever follows. But if your primary concern is seeing the park itself, then here's an option to consider:

Stay in West Yellowstone. It's centrally located, easy to get to, and is closest to the major attractions in the Park. There are several RV parks there, grocery stores, shopping, a cool IMAX theater, and it's walking distance to just about everything in the town. Leave the RV in place, and rent a car there for traveling through the park for the few days you'll be there. (Unless you towed one with you behind the RV, which might be an option.) Regardless of how you do it, use a car to see Yellowstone. You'll be MUCH happier.

The West Entrance to the park is right there, and it's a 14 mile drive to Madison Junction. A right turn takes you toward Old Faithful and the southern park of the park. A left turn takes you north, toward the Norris Geyser Basin, Mammoth Hot Springs, and other scenic points. At the end of the day, you can drive back to West Yellowstone, and your RV is set up and waiting for you. Easy to deal with, and a MAJOR headache reducer.

Yellowstone is a must-see for everyone, and I can't get enough of the place. Your kids will love it, and so will you. But you need to think and plan ahead, or it can be a very dissatisfying experience.

Food for thought. :)

Dave

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Thank you for all the tips and insight.

We are still mulling over our choices. Years ago, when we were dating, we flew into Jackson Hole, rented a car, and met my DH's family at what he calls the Bear Tooth. His parents had the motorhome, got a campsite for a week or so, and brought tents for the rest of us. There were four sets of people/families/dogs sleeping in tents and his parents were in the motorhome. We took cars to visit parts of the park, and used the Bear Tooth as our home base. I fondly remember the stars at night :) . I less fondly remember the gobs of mosquitoes at sunset :eek: .

I think he wants to replicate something like that, with perhaps his mom meeting us at the campsite with her car. It's possible the whole gang would show up (his side of the family) if we wanted them to.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thank you for all the tips and insight.

We are still mulling over our choices. Years ago, when we were dating, we flew into Jackson Hole, rented a car, and met my DH's family at what he calls the Bear Tooth. His parents had the motorhome, got a campsite for a week or so, and brought tents for the rest of us. There were four sets of people/families/dogs sleeping in tents and his parents were in the motorhome. We took cars to visit parts of the park, and used the Bear Tooth as our home base. I fondly remember the stars at night :) . I less fondly remember the gobs of mosquitoes at sunset :eek: .

I think he wants to replicate something like that, with perhaps his mom meeting us at the campsite with her car. It's possible the whole gang would show up (his side of the family) if we wanted them to.

That's a MUCH better way to go. It sounds VERY doable. And if the family can get there ahead of you, they can stake out the best spots. Bear Tooth Highway is in the northeast part of the park. It's beautiful there.

Have a fun time. It's SO worth it. :)

Dave

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
$210 gas
$192 mileage fees
$1050 (150/day for 7 days)
$200 bedding
$100 pots/pans/dishes
$105 airport parking fees
$1600 estimated RT airfare for 4 = $3502 for a Fly/Drive trip

Wow :eek: , that's expensive no matter how we slice it! Is there a cheaper way to go?

I'm surprised that the rental rate doesn't include bedding or kitchen utensils. I would pack my own and save $300 off the top. One pot, one pan, and a few essentials would work for me along with paper plates, plastic cutlery & cups.

Another option to price out could be a 14 day driving trip combining car/RV. That would save the airport parking and airfare but you would have to add motel cost (or camping) en route in addition to gas. Plenty of sights to see along the way...

My preference would be an all car-driving trip and to stay in hotels, but that's just me ;)

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We saw more "critters" on the stretch of road between West Yellowstone and Madison Junction than the total for all the other loops we took. Early morning or at twilight was incredible. Eagles, moose, 500 bison with babies, elk in velvet, mule deer, coyote, black bear. Never saw a grizley of wolves--excuse for another trip.

By the way, more people are injured by buffalo than any other animal in the park. Bulls are 6 feet tall at the shoulder, can run 37 mph, and weigh 2000#--thats a lota bull and you better show some respect--they have even tipped over smaller cars when irritated. :D

Be aware too that traveling a road in both directions will give you two entirely different perspectives--almost like traveling an entirely different road. What you see also depends on the time of day.

Sterling

Ckwik

Reaction score
Just returned from Camping Yellowstone...Beautiful!

Our family of 5 just returned from 5 nights camping in Yellowstone. The kids are 11, 9, & 7. I made my reservations on June 19th for us to camp (Tent) from July 3rd to July 8th at Bridge Bay. I was quite surprised the campground only appeared completely full 2 of those nights. They take reservations for several campgrounds in the Park now.
We drove from San Diego (5am) to Provo, spent the night at a Best Western, then drove to the park, a mere 7 hour drive. Yes, they warn you about the bears, but we did not see or hear any. The staff are very aggressive about bear warnings because, frankly most people need repetition to get the point. We have an F-150 with a shell on it. All food stays in the back (covered) unless we are eating. If one of the kids spills food all over their pants, they know those clothes don't go into the tent.
The park was crowded, but not intolerable, I would suggest arriving at Old Faithful early in the morning. We enjoyed seeing all the wildlife, but yes, there are stupid people out there just asking to get trampled. It was a great trip and 5 nights gave us plenty of time to see the sights without having to rush.
An R.V. has some benefits, but I agree that those roads are not meant for the park, we saw at least one accident a day, people just get distracted.

We spent 3 nights at the HGVC in Vegas on the way back, we are considering a timeshare, but it would have to be somewhere like Lake Tahoe or Mammoth Lakes for us to be truly interested, and I'm still too nervous to lay my money down.