• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham timeshare contract misled parents on what they were buying.

Dakota107

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Discovery
I am looking for advice/suggestions. My parents, who are in there 70's, initially bought into the wyndham discovery program and then bought into a contract purchasing entry level points of 84,000 points at Bonnet Creek resort in Sept 2018. So in January of this year my parents urged me to use some points since they still had all these bonus points and discovery points available. So after Dad went through the frustration of booking it for us as a guest...they had 2 different account numbers (Discovery and the actual contract). Fast forward that got fixed we were booked for florida. My parents booked a weekend to Branson Meadows in July for Dad's birthday and in the mean time Wyndham had called and told Dad that in the future 84000 points wouldn't be enough for a weeks vacation, so he decided to get more information while in Branson. Well I have access to there online timeshare site and noticed after Branson that they had more points on there account to the tune of 200,000 points in one use year and 116,000 points in another use year plus bonus contracts and all the sudden they are Silver owners! Not wanting to interfere in what they were doing I didn't say anything. So we went to Florida and Mom & Dad booked a trip to the Sevierville Smoky Mtn resort. In the mean time we sat through a presentation in Florida so I could learn more about what the had because they seemed super confused on how it work and such. Just FYI these salepeople are smooth talkers and very pushy....I knew they would be going in...we spent 3 hours at the presentation even though they knew we were gathering information. Well to make a long story short we decided to try out the Discovery package, but we knew exactly what we got...the 400,000 points to use in 2 yrs, except the payment they told us and the payment from the finance place was double..besides that I know we will buy resale when we are ready. Back to my parents, so they are in Tennessee and attended another presentation because these people are making it out like they are required to attend. The person they get this time, hopefully was honest and trustworthy...I am not sure, but I learned when I finally had a conversation with them last night about expiring point this year we got into this conversation that is a real mess. The lady at the Great Smokies Lodge in Sevierville, TN I think help sort it out and put 2 or 3 contracts together to show what they had. I got into there account to see about reservations for next year and see that now they have 400,000 points on a use year and 116,000 points on another use year. Here is the problem--I finally found out there payment now is $800 a month which they were told was going to be $250 and they never saw the $800 a month figure until they got to Tennessee resort. They are frustrated and have 4 backpacks of papers they have been given...they can't afford that monthly payment and they have points they won't ever use. Is there anything we can do? I am currently trying to locate the current paperwork from the Tennessee stuff but are they just SOL with a cancellation at this point? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea how much this transaction costs initially nor for how long...Dad thinks it is for 15-20 years. That is crazy! Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

Dakota107

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Discovery
To the best of my knowledge I believe the last purchase was Branson in mid july 2019, however Sept 4 2019 there is on there account that says contract trade. Here is a screen shot of that I have attached on their account. Does that help?

Attachments

• wyndham acct.JPG
    wyndham acct.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 36

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
September 4 is almost certainly outside the window in which your parents can rescind the purchase. July definitely is.

At this point, they have a couple of options. One: just stop paying on all of it. Wyndham will (eventually) foreclose. This may result in a credit rating hit. However, at their age, how much money are they expecting to borrow? Maybe there's no reason to care about that.

Two: Use it as purchased.

Unfortunately, "We didn't realize this is what we did" is probably not going to be a useful approach, because they were given paperwork that says this is exactly what they did, and it has their signature on it.

Dakota107

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Discovery
Yes I know it is, and I was afraid there weren't going to be many options. Is there anything they can do?

Dakota107

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Discovery
Thank you for the info:)

Beth B

Reaction score
I am looking for advice/suggestions. My parents, who are in there 70's, initially bought into the wyndham discovery program and then bought into a contract purchasing entry level points of 84,000 points at Bonnet Creek resort in Sept 2018. So in January of this year my parents urged me to use some points since they still had all these bonus points and discovery points available. So after Dad went through the frustration of booking it for us as a guest...they had 2 different account numbers (Discovery and the actual contract). Fast forward that got fixed we were booked for florida. My parents booked a weekend to Branson Meadows in July for Dad's birthday and in the mean time Wyndham had called and told Dad that in the future 84000 points wouldn't be enough for a weeks vacation, so he decided to get more information while in Branson. Well I have access to there online timeshare site and noticed after Branson that they had more points on there account to the tune of 200,000 points in one use year and 116,000 points in another use year plus bonus contracts and all the sudden they are Silver owners! Not wanting to interfere in what they were doing I didn't say anything. So we went to Florida and Mom & Dad booked a trip to the Sevierville Smoky Mtn resort. In the mean time we sat through a presentation in Florida so I could learn more about what the had because they seemed super confused on how it work and such. Just FYI these salepeople are smooth talkers and very pushy....I knew they would be going in...we spent 3 hours at the presentation even though they knew we were gathering information. Well to make a long story short we decided to try out the Discovery package, but we knew exactly what we got...the 400,000 points to use in 2 yrs, except the payment they told us and the payment from the finance place was double..besides that I know we will buy resale when we are ready. Back to my parents, so they are in Tennessee and attended another presentation because these people are making it out like they are required to attend. The person they get this time, hopefully was honest and trustworthy...I am not sure, but I learned when I finally had a conversation with them last night about expiring point this year we got into this conversation that is a real mess. The lady at the Great Smokies Lodge in Sevierville, TN I think help sort it out and put 2 or 3 contracts together to show what they had. I got into there account to see about reservations for next year and see that now they have 400,000 points on a use year and 116,000 points on another use year. Here is the problem--I finally found out there payment now is $800 a month which they were told was going to be $250 and they never saw the $800 a month figure until they got to Tennessee resort. They are frustrated and have 4 backpacks of papers they have been given...they can't afford that monthly payment and they have points they won't ever use. Is there anything we can do? I am currently trying to locate the current paperwork from the Tennessee stuff but are they just SOL with a cancellation at this point? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea how much this transaction costs initially nor for how long...Dad thinks it is for 15-20 years. That is crazy! Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.[/QUOT

Beth B

Reaction score
Don't use this post for advice. They are in bed with the TS

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Since you joined an hour ago you must be referring to yourself? TUG members are certainly not in bed with TS salespeople.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

Did you even read the replies? Certainly nothing there to suggest pro developer.

You have only two posts, both attacking posters as “in bed with TS”. You sound as if you have had a bad experience. Please do share.