TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Wyndham survey email

Discussion in 'Wyndham Vacation Resorts' started by scootr5, Nov 8, 2018.

1. scootr5

scootr5 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Quarter House, Wyndham Avenue Plaza - Mardis Gras week, Wyndham points
    Wyndham just emailed me a survey about owner updates. I'm probably not the demographic they're looking for...

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      44.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      93.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      120.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      110.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5.png
      5.png
      File size:
      101.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.png
      6.png
      File size:
      108.4 KB
      Views:
    • 7.png
      7.png
      File size:
      109.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Rich S

Rich S TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Marriott
    I received one too. I filled it out and submitted it. I felt it was my opportunity to let them know that owners should be treated with respect when dealing with their representatives. Updates aren't for everyone, I get that, but I think they can be informative from time to time though.

Just my two cents

HitchHiker71 and Fredflintstone like this.
  3. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Wyndham, Bluegreen, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
    I also received it and submitted my input. My responses are the same as the OP (even my comments were very similar... ask once at checkin and if the answer is no, give keys and leave us alone)

Fredflintstone likes this.
  4. chapjim

chapjim TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham PresRes, Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (4), some others.
    Q5 needs another possible response, a negative response. "Waste of time" is too neutral. Something like "Totally annoying waste of time." Or, "Waste of time and pi$$ed me off."

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  5. bnoble

bnoble TUG Member

I got one, and filled it out with several variations on "Not in a million billion years." My open-form response was:

I am a resale-only purchaser. I do not have any interest in any developer-only perks/additions, including VIP, Club Pass, etc. The pressure and unpleasantness of dealing with the tour pre-qualification step at EVERY SINGLE VACATION I TAKE is incredibly annoying. Other systems that I have vacationed with through RCI exchange do not do this, including Hilton, Disney, and Starwood. Be better.​

6. kaljor

kaljor TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Fairfield Bay
    Wyndham Nashville
    Wyndham CWA
    Just make sure you don't check the box that says "I only go to owner updates for the gift" or they'll eliminate the gifts, but keep the harassment!

7. HitchHiker71

HitchHiker71 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Outer Banks Beach Club I
    Colonies at Williamsburg
    WCA VIP Gold (718k EY)
    I received the same survey email, filled it out last night.

Rich S and Fredflintstone like this.
  8. Fredflintstone

Fredflintstone TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Rent only
    Why can’t they just be honest? I know their argument is no one would attend if you called it a timeshare presentation or upgrade presentation. My response here is you are seen as filthy liars by using the Owners Update excuse. After all, it’s getting pretty old and almost everyone knows your games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HitchHiker71 likes this.
  9. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Unfortunately there are lots of young people who don't know their games. I've warned my adult kids (who are in their 20's.) But there are many who aren't familiar with the timeshare game. I just read the post from the young college student who signed up for a timeshare and after a couple months realized she can't afford it. Shame on them for even targeting college students.

Not to disparage the youth... I don't believe it's their fault that they're ill-prepared to handle that level of lies sold in a happy place... but remember that old saying usually attributed to P. T. Barnum... "There's a sucker born every minute." I wonder if that's in the timeshare seller's handbook?

10. HitchHiker71

HitchHiker71 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Outer Banks Beach Club I
    Colonies at Williamsburg
    WCA VIP Gold (718k EY)
    That's basically what I said in my comments. Stop masking the "update meeting" as anything other than a sales presentation to sell more points 99% of the time. It promotes the predominantly negative reputation Wyndham has earned over time in this regard. It's the definition of insanity really, doing the same thing over and over again yet expecting different results. Wyndham wants their bad public perception issue to diminish, yet they are unwilling to change their behavior to change their reputation issues.

11. bnoble

bnoble TUG Member

I think they expect the same results---selling more points at a healthy pace.

12. Fredflintstone

Resorts Owned:
    Rent only
    Yes, I agree. It’s all about getting more sales. What I think is ballsy here is they are asking for feedback on a system that is dishonest. We all know owner Update is simply trying to sell more. It’s like asking for feedback from a robber on how your experience was when he shook you down for your wallet and jewels. Was the experience 5 ️s?

Rich S likes this.
  13. Rich S

Rich S TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Marriott
    I also agree that it is about getting more sales. I also think that they are in a business to make money. It is our endeavor to save money, so naturally that puts the Developer and resale buyers at opposite ends. I believe every single person who purchased a timeshare from the Developer initially thought it was a good idea, that's why they did it.

After the fact, when they found out they could have purchased the same timeshare for thousands of dollars less, the Developer became the bad guy. At this point, it appears to me that it is a game of cat and mouse. The Developer wants to sell points or weeks at a premium and those of who now know want to purchase points or weeks at a fraction of the cost. We go resale, they institute ROFR, effectively throwing a monkey wrench into the great deal you came across.

Attending these "Owner Updates" or "Sales Presentations" provides us with more information on the tactics they are using or untruths they are saying. Plus, they reward us to do it! The information may not influence us anymore, but it can provide us with the knowledge, to prepare our family and friends when they are tempted by the slick talking salesperson. I wish someone who had been through the presentations and then bought resale had informed me of what to watch out for prior to me buying my first timeshare.

14. bnoble

bnoble TUG Member

I don't recall hearing a single case of Wyndham exercising this.

15. cbyrne1174

cbyrne1174 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Smoky Mountains 130,000 Biennial odd
    Wyndham Royal Garden 126,000 Biennial Even
    I told them nobody in there right mind would pay developer prices unless they were rich or ignorant of the resale market. If they would offer benefits at a lower buy in cost like DVC does, I would definitely pay developer prices at around $12,000 so I wouldn't have to pay housekeeping fees and had access to Wordmark and Margaritaville. They should offer no housekeeping fees with any direct purchase and I would for sure buy it because I like having 2 night stays in Orlando.

16. plpgma

plpgma TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Palm-Aire
    Hmmm...I haven't received any survey from Wyndham -- at least not yet. Of course, I've gotten into the habit of routinely deleting Wyndham correspondence (unless the subject denotes an obvious message of importance) -- so maybe I did get the survey after all!?

17. Rich S

Rich S TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Marriott
    I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. When I referenced ROFR, I was speaking of Developers in general, not just Wyndham specifically. As those of us who have fortunately learned the benefits of resale, there are a number of people who have purchased more than just Wyndham properties. There are a number of Developers who have ROFR written into the contracts which can potentially kill a great resale buy.

That's what I meant by cat and mouse. In most cases you can't give your timeshare back to the Developer if you no longer want to pay the maintenance fees, but if you find someone who wants it and provide them with what they consider a great deal, the Developer then can swoop in and take it.

You can look all over the TUG website and see where prospective buyers are bummed out because a Developer has exercised their ROFR. A closer look will reveal the very same Developer has refused to take back a similar unit.

My opinion is hearing what they are selling /saying provides me with more information to use to my benefit.

18. CruiseGuy

CruiseGuy TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Panama City Beach, Bonnet Creek, and Royal Vista
    I got the survey too. My response wasn't very nice.

19. paxsarah

paxsarah TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Pagosa, Wyndham at The Cottages & Ocean Blvd
    Me either, but I’ve never been to an update/sales meeting ever, so I wonder if they figure my opinion is irrelevant to their needs.

20. plpgma

plpgma TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Palm-Aire
    I hadn't considered that component -- We have never attended an 'update' either so maybe we, too, are not considered relevant. If so, long live irrelevancy!

paxsarah likes this.
  21. Fredflintstone

Resorts Owned:
    Rent only
    I have no problem with anyone making money as long as it’s an honest deal. We all gotta make a living. However, when lying is involved with trying to close a sale, I draw the line there.

Rich S likes this.
  22. CruiseGuy

CruiseGuy TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Panama City Beach, Bonnet Creek, and Royal Vista
    I've never been to an update either, yet I received the survey. They are relentless in trying to get me to attend though. We'll see what my next check-in is like in a week, because I recently asked Wyndham to put me on their DNC and DNG lists. The calls have stopped, but I haven't visited a resort since making the request.

HitchHiker71 likes this.
  23. Crafty71

Crafty71 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort (Wyndham); DVC Old Key West
    O-K...I know DNC is "Do Not Call"...what is DNG...? Do Not Grope...?

Just curious...

24. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I'm guessing here... Do Not Gift?

25. Rich S

Rich S TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Marriott
    I agree with you. I think this is what really turns most against the sales people. Explaining the pros and cons of timeshare ownership is one thing, lying to close a sale is definitely violating the trust of the customer and reflects poorly on the Developer.