• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Points from Developer then top up from resale ?

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation-Village Atalaya-Towers
ok dumb question but I got to ask

Is there any benefit of buying a low amount of points say 60K or something low directly from the developer than buying 400 K resale ?

I wasn't sure if I would get any of the perks from getting directly from the developer then stacking on top points thru resale ?

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Not really. Resale points dont count toward VIP status, and 60k developer points are not enough to attain VIP status.

The budget way to get VIP benefits/status is to make a small purchase (126k) and to use the PIC Plus program to reach VIP status. PIC Plus allows you to enroll two deeded weeks at a resort that trades thru RCI, and those points count towards VIP status.

This article covers the basics of how PIC Plus works.

https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/wyndham_personal_interval_choice_PIC_program.html

It is important to note that their are two different versions of PIC. PIC Plus is permanent and requires a developer purchase. The other program is PIC Express and it has a 5 year term.

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
ok dumb question but I got to ask

Is there any benefit of buying a low amount of points say 60K or something low directly from the developer than buying 400 K resale ?

I wasn't sure if I would get any of the perks from getting directly from the developer then stacking on top points thru resale ?

The only way to “benefit” using the approach you have outlined is to obtain some level of VIP status first via developer points purchases, after which any resale contracts you acquire will then inherit certain VIP benefits.

This is basically what I decided to do. I acquired 210k developer points along with two PIC contracts for 254k each. That gives me a total of 718k points per year or permanent VIP gold status (temp platinum VIP thru sept 2020). I’m in the process of searching for and acquiring a few resale contracts now with low MFs for rental purposes to help recoup overall MFs each year, or to use them for additional points bookings in years when we choose to.

Taking this route will cost you about 25k up front going through telesales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, thanks everyone that is good to know.

So you think you will recover much renting out your resales ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can I do it backwards and get the same benefit you described ?

Own thru resale first , then go buy from developer say 220K like you mention and inherit some benefits ?

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank for the info !! Reading over it now !!

The amount of research I am doing in Wydham is doing my head in....lol.... I can't image if i switched over and starting over and read up on Marriott next.....lol...
Not really. Resale points dont count toward VIP status, and 60k developer points are not enough to attain VIP status.

The budget way to get VIP benefits/status is to make a small purchase (126k) and to use the PIC Plus program to reach VIP status. PIC Plus allows you to enroll two deeded weeks at a resort that trades thru RCI, and those points count towards VIP status.

https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/wyndham_personal_interval_choice_PIC_program.html

It is important to note that their are two different versions of PIC. PIC Plus is permanent and requires a developer purchase. The other program is PIC Express and it has a 5 year term.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Ok, thanks everyone that is good to know.

So you think you will recover much renting out your resales ?

That is the goal yes. I plan to obtain around 800k resale points with MFs around $4.50/1000 and rent out those points at around $7/1000. Taking this approach I will generate $3.50/1000 points revenue or $3.50*800= $2800 which covers the vast majority of my current MFs. Only time will tell how well my plans work out though.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Can I do it backwards and get the same benefit you described ?

Own thru resale first , then go buy from developer say 220K like you mention and inherit some benefits ?

I believe you can however I’m not 100% sure as I only researched my approach thoroughly. Someone else more knowledgeable than I am will come along with an answer soon I’m sure.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is the goal yes. I plan to obtain around 800k resale points with MFs around $4.50/1000 and rent out those points at around $7/1000. Taking this approach I will generate $3.50/1000 points revenue or $3.50*800= $2800 which covers the vast majority of my current MFs. Only time will tell how well my plans work out though.

This is the way I started...
I found I could rent about 80% of my points to pay 100% of my maintenance fees This was without VIP benefits

There are two ways to do this 1) make speculative reservations in advance (with out customers) and then advertise or 2) make reservations at the request of your customer. If you do speculative reservations and set your price on a dollars per 1000 points basis, you may find that you are too expensive to keep any regular customers or you are letting what should be expensive reservations go too cheaply

My approach was to make reservations for high value event weeks or weekends well in advance and then I set my price at slightly less than what I saw these reservations renting for on airbnb or VRBO or craigs list or at the local hotels or redweek

I would also advise finding a speciality. And developa regular clientele Get to know a certain resort or resorts. There are or were folks here on tug that specialized in South Florida in the winter and rented to snowbirds; others knew Las Vegas or Orlando, or Washington DC. or San Francisco. I know a guy that only rented at the Wisconsin Dells, and another that does Daytona, for Bike Week and Race Week. I got to know New Orleans and in particular, the Avenue Plaza Resort. I knew the staff from housekeeping to the doorman to the front desk, all the way up to the manager and his assistant (who really ran the place). They even set me up with a telephone hookup for the HOA meetings. Bottom line, My guests seldom had problems, and if they did, I could always get it worked out on the phone

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

To enroll a PIC week, you need to buy a minimum of 49,000 points per week. So two would require a 98,000 point purchase. I would recommend asking what the price difference is between 98k and 105k, because sometimes, it's not a huge difference depending on what rebates and discounts telesales is offering. You're probably looking at about $15k-$17k.

One more thing to add, those fixed/float weeks can be bought on eBay and enrolled into PIC Plus for VIP status. That's what I did. I bought a 4 bedroom at Williamsburg plantation on ebay for $28, and enrolled it into PIC plus to get 254,000 points for bookings and VIP. It cannot be a Wyndham resort, and as mentioned, it has to be tradeable in RCI. It cannot be a points interest (RCI points, Disney, etc). Always talk with a telesales rep to verify eligibility before bidding or buying anything.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
This is the way I started...
I found I could rent about 80% of my points to pay 100% of my maintenance fees This was without VIP benefits

There are two ways to do this 1) make speculative reservations in advance (with out customers) and then advertise or 2) make reservations at the request of your customer. If you do speculative reservations and set your price on a dollars per 1000 points basis, you may find that you are too expensive to keep any regular customers or you are letting what should be expensive reservations go too cheaply

My approach was to make reservations for high value event weeks or weekends well in advance and then I set my price at slightly less than what I saw these reservations renting for on airbnb or VRBO or craigs list or at the local hotels or redweek

I would also advise finding a speciality. And developa regular clientele Get to know a certain resort or resorts. There are or were folks here on tug that specialized in South Florida in the winter and rented to snowbirds; others knew Las Vegas or Orlando, or Washington DC. or San Francisco. I know a guy that only rented at the Wisconsin Dells, and another that does Daytona, for Bike Week and Race Week. I got to know New Orleans and in particular, the Avenue Plaza Resort. I knew the staff from housekeeping to the doorman to the front desk, all the way up to the manager and his assistant (who really ran the place). They even set me up with a telephone hookup for the HOA meetings. Bottom line, My guests seldom had problems, and if they did, I could always get it worked out on the phone

Thanks Ron, I agree with your recommendations. What I'm actually doing in the short term is outsourcing the rental component to another rental provider who will guarantee $7/1000 points (minimum). So for now, I don't have any need to actually perform the due diligence and work to handle the rentals myself. Over time, I may end up doing more renting myself. For now, I have another primary career to manage, on top of a rental property business, that require the majority of my productive work time day to day.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ron, I agree with your recommendations. What I'm actually doing in the short term is outsourcing the rental component to another rental provider who will guarantee $7/1000 points (minimum). So for now, I don't have any need to actually perform the due diligence and work to handle the rentals myself. Over time, I may end up doing more renting myself. For now, I have another primary career to manage, on top of a rental property business, that require the majority of my productive work time day to day.

I started in the way I outlined but as I got bigger I outsourced nearly everything.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Almost ... many of us got PRIME time Wyndham Fixed Weeks to rent ... not as points, but as 7 night stays. No $99 guest certificate, no HK fees, no Reservation Transaction fees and no sitting on the phone or internet HOPING to get the reservation you wanted.

VERY HARD to find those great Prime fixed weeks nowadays.

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To enroll a PIC week, you need to buy a minimum of 49,000 points per week. So two would require a 98,000 point purchase. I would recommend asking what the price difference is between 98k and 105k, because sometimes, it's not a huge difference depending on what rebates and discounts telesales is offering. You're probably looking at about $15k-$17k.

One more thing to add, those fixed/float weeks can be bought on eBay and enrolled into PIC Plus for VIP status. That's what I did. I bought a 4 bedroom at Williamsburg plantation on ebay for $28, and enrolled it into PIC plus to get 254,000 points for bookings and VIP. It cannot be a Wyndham resort, and as mentioned, it has to be tradeable in RCI. It cannot be a points interest (RCI points, Disney, etc). Always talk with a telesales rep to verify eligibility before bidding or buying anything.
I am interested in trying this...... Can i call snd arrange such a purchase ?

I also can't find what these VIP points do for me.

And they must be from. Developer, I can't get them from someone else ?

I am confused , I see some saying they got them from eBay and i am seeing I need to get directly from developer

I am reading the link about PIC program, but having a hard time wrapping my ahead sround step by step what i need to do to get there.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert

You really need to do some math on what VIP benefits can do for you before considering spending at least $15-17k to achieve it. The main benefits are discounts and/or upgrades for reservations booked within 60 days of travel, and additional or unlimited credits for things like housekeeping, reservation transactions, and guest certificates. If you have access to the directory, all of the benefits are in there. If most of your travel will be booked further in advance than 60 days, and typically for stays of longer than 4-5 days, it may be difficult to break even on that initial cost.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
"may be difficult" = you may have to work the system to break even... in a literal sense...

checking web-site regularly since we dont have a waitlist or on-going search function

traveling off-season

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)

I am confused , I see some saying they got them from eBay and i am seeing I need to get directly from developer

I am reading the link about PIC program, but having a hard time wrapping my ahead sround step by step what i need to do to get there.

You cannot obtain VIP from resale, unless the seller has their entire Wyndham timeshare embedded in a trust or a LLC in which case I’ve heard unsubstantiated claims that the VIP benefit can transfer with the trust/LLC. I say unsubstantiated because I have never seen a step by step process for this documented here and then been able to observe someone purchase the resale unit and then prove VIP transfer after the fact with my own eyes. I have a fairly high bar for proof of such things.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)

Yes you can contact telesales and arrange a developer points purchase along with a piggyback PIC contract once you identify and purchase the qualifying PIC timeshare.

You may be confusing the fact that most of us source the non-Wyndham timeshare from eBay that we use for the qualifying PIC contract itself. DM me for more details. I just went through this entire process in July 2018 to obtain temp platinum VIP and thru Sept 2020 and permanent gold VIP.

VIP is worth it for us as we do a fair amount of last minute bookings within the 60 day window for our smaller weekend getaways which saves us 50% on points. I try to couple this with the discounts offered under the Deals section which often results in net 69-90% points savings.

For example, Kingsgate in Williamsburg is currently 50% off points now through end of year. I just booked a long weekend Dec 14-16 at Kingsgate for a one bedroom, free VIP instant upgrade to a 2 bedroom, plus my 50% points discount. All that for like 18000 points. I do this regularly now whenever I can find deals like this.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

I’m not a Wyndham sales person so I cannot help you directly. I still talk to my rep who is no longer with the company. I can ask her who you should call.

HitchHiker71 is correct that resale points do not count towards status. The resale comes in with the fixed week that you enroll into PIC Plus (with a purchase of developer points of course). HitchHiker71 and I both bought qualifying fixed weeks on eBay (float weeks work too), and enrolled them into PIC Plus. Every year, we deposit our week into RCI (assuming we don’t want to use it). Once we get confirmation of the deposit, we call Wyndham to do the exchange. They will ask the room number, type, resort name, check in date, etc. All that info is on the deposit confirmation (sent via email). Then you pay $89 for each fixed week deposit (you are allowed up to two), and in exchange, Wyndham gives you points. These points count towards VIP status and can be used for bookings. If you don’t do the exchange, the points count towards VIP but are merely symbolic. You won’t be able to use them for booking until you do the exchange. This is the ONLY way anything resale counts towards VIP and even then it requires a minimum purchase of 49,000 points per PIC week. At last check, a 105,000 points was selling for $16,000 through telesales. That is before any haggling. You can get bonus points as well. Or, if you have existing retail contracts, you can do an equity trade like I did. I bought National Harbor points and exchanged my Patriots place for National Harbor. You cannot do that with resale contracts.

As far as VIP benefits, I would take the suggested advice and read through the directory. If you mainly travel during prime season (summer vacation, major travel Holidays, Hawaii which is mostly prime season all year), you are going to have a tough time getting discounts. Not impossible, but difficult. You would have to work for it by checking every day for new inventory and even then, if you find it, you’ll want to book it immediately before canceling your original reservation because it will be gone within minutes. I’ve had better luck getting discounts and upgrades in high and low seasons. If that works for you, then you can probably do well with that benefit.

I personally like the extended time to deposit points into a future year. I got a new resale contract that hit my account In August. It was 308,000 points. I could have rented them out, sure, but we have a large family vacation in 2020 and it would serve me better to move them to 2020. I wouldn’t have been able to do that without VIP. I also like the unlimited reservation transaction credits. I use that a lot. I cancel and rebook often to get the discount. Book discounted reservation first, before canceling old one. I also like unlimited housekeeping credits because it’s one less thing to keep track of. Eventually we will have the opportunity to use Margaritaville but right now we have 2019 and 2020 already planned. There are a few others that work for me. I was an owner for 10 years before going Gold. I knew by then what benefits I would realistically be able to use. That is something you will want to seriously consider. If you could never get discounts and upgrades, would you still go VIP?

As far as ROI, I consider my lodging savings as part of that. My first purchase was in 2008 for $15k. I made up for that upfront costs three times over, in lodging savings compared to cash. Sure, I could rent from an owner but we often get more then one room. I’d have to find someone willing to book two or three rooms or find multi owners willing to book me a room at the same resort at the same time. Then, they often charge $6 to $8 per 1,000. Since I travel mainly during prime, I likely won’t get any discounts. So for example, we booked three rooms in Orlando last year for 270,000 points each. Total 810,000 points. I got a resale contract for $1 and credit pooled the points. At $8 per 1,000, that’s $6480. My maintenance fees for that amount of points would be $3,823. I saved $2,657 by not renting from someone else. We take about three vacations a year. That was the big one. Normally we only get one big room. We save at least another $1,000 there each. So In one year, we saved almost $5,000. It will take me four years to make up for the upfront cost of my second purchase, in the form of lodging savings. That doesn’t include the $1,200 in maintenance fees I saved from the changes I made. After that I still have Gold VIP.

As far as the changes, when I made my purchase, I added a PIC, traded in old contract for National Harbor and I’m going to dump my higher maintenance fee contract. So I’l have the same amount of points but paying $1,200 a year less because the maintenance fees on the fixed weeks are cheaper then points and National Harbor is cheaper then Patriots place.

Yes, I could put that money into an IRA and continue making money on it, but the same can be said for other optional things. Like vacations in general. Lets throw out vacations altogether. When you add on travel expensive, attraction tickets, food, souvenirs, etc, it can get pretty expensive. Instead, stay at home and go to some local cheaper places. We can take the money we save and put it in an IRA. We can cut out going out to eat, going to the movies, etc and put all that money into an IRA. Also, let’s buy a decent used car for $10,000 instead of the $25,000 new car and put that money into an IRA. There are a lot of optional things we could cut out to save money, but we chose not to because we want vacations. We want that new car. What you chose to do with your money is your choice. Everyone has their own opinion but at the end of the day, you do what you feel is right for you and your family. A timeshare is an entertainment expense. My family enjoys it and have a lot of fond memories that are worth their weight in gold. Plus I wiII make very good use of it and the purchase gave me the opportunity to reduce my over all costs and go VIP gold.

If you are going to buy retail to get VIP through PIC Plus, make very sure you can use enough of the benefits to make it worth it, to you. If you cannot use the benefits, you might as well go resale and save a ton of money.

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

VIP is worth it for us as we do a fair amount of last minute bookings within the 60 day window for our smaller weekend getaways which saves us 50% on points. I try to couple this with the discounts offered under the Deals section which often results in net 69-90% points savings.

Are there ever any last minute bookings over seas or these mainly Wyndham last minute books ?

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are there ever any last minute bookings over seas or these mainly Wyndham last minute books ?

The VIP discount is for last minute bookings but only for Wyndham resorts (inside 30-60 days depending on VIP status). Currently there are limited overseas resorts - none in Europe. Wyndham accounts come with a "free" RCI membership, and you can save points with last minute bookings thru the RCI exchange - which has more options in Europe - but you then have the $239+ exchange fee. You do not need to be a VIP member to use the RCI Express discount:

Snip20181113_1.png

Last edited:

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for that RCI express chart.... Haven't seen that yet !

Good to know

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
The VIP discount is for last minute bookings but only for Wyndham resorts (inside 30-60 days depending on VIP status). Currently there are limited overseas resorts - none in Europe. Wyndham accounts come with a "free" RCI membership, and you can save points with last minute bookings thru the RCI exchange - which has more options in Europe - but you then have the $239+ exchange fee. You do not need to be a VIP member to use the RCI Express discount:

View attachment 9019

What he said!

The VIP benefits only apply to Wyndham owned/managed resorts basically. With 220 resorts we don’t find it difficult to take advantage of the VIP benefits like this, but we also don’t travel much to Europe either since it’s much more expensive as a general rule. I’m sure we will take advantage of RCI bookings at some point as well, just haven’t gone down that road yet.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

View attachment 9019

The discount for VIP is 60 days for everyone. You are thinking of the upgrade window which varies by VIP status. It's 60 days, 45 days, and 30 days for Platinum, Gold, and Silver respectively.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The discount for VIP is 60 days for everyone. You are thinking of the upgrade window which varies by VIP status. It's 60 days, 45 days, and 30 days for Platinum, Gold, and Silver respectively.

Actually I consider both reduced pts and the upgrade as my "VIP discount". :D