• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham points contracts

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
$5,000 total until you get to use the 2019 points, or $5,000 total for 2016, 2017, and 2018 (the stripped years)?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Ron's Christmas Layaway Timeshare -

$5,000 total until you get to use the 2019 points, or $5,000 total for 2016, 2017, and 2018 (the stripped years)?

see my added - in post 25

Layaway Timeshare - for a future Christmas

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I saw it, but post #23 says $10K.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw it, but post #23 says $10K.

Says $10/K or $10 per thousand points. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

The cost before first use of points would be about $3,000 if you credit pool and use in the beginning of 2018.

steve_solo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain how points are pulled in from the future by using the credit pool?
I have taken points I knew I couldn't use in a use year and added them to the credit pool for future use. There might have been a small fee.
Also, is it possible Canterbury's low MF is just a developer's "bait and switch" trick and they will rise to full rate over next few years?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you! So the MF for 2016, 2017, and 2018 would be about $5,000?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain how points are pulled in from the future by using the credit pool?
I have taken points I knew I couldn't use in a use year and added them to the credit pool for future use. There might have been a small fee.
Also, is it possible Canterbury's low MF is just a developer's "bait and switch" trick and they will rise to full rate over next few years?

You put 100,000 2017 points into the pool. Then you reserve at Bonnet Creek. The reservation uses 2016 points that someone pooled last year (or this year if they are VIP). in 2017, someone uses the 100,000 points you deposited to make a reservation.

I don't know if it actually happens, but Wyndham pool rules have a caveat that pool points may only be used to the extent they are available in the pool. What this means is that if you pool your 2017 points with the hope that you can reserve something this year, but the pool is empty, you are left with pooled points and no ability to make a 2016 reservation unless and until VIPs make current-year deposits.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! So the MF for 2016, 2017, and 2018 would be about $5,000?

Yes, ma'am. For half of 2016 and all of 2017 and 2018.

And again, it's a great deal for someone who doesn't have $5K liquid to invest, but does have $200 a month to spend and can wait a couple years before seeing any benefit of the points. Definitely a longer term strategy than someone seeking a free timeshare with free 2016 use.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
AND - it comes with Ron's secret sauce

Yes, ma'am. For half of 2016 and all of 2017 and 2018.

And again, it's a great deal for someone who doesn't have $5K liquid to invest, but does have $200 a month to spend and can wait a couple years before seeing any benefit of the points. Definitely a longer term strategy than someone seeking a free timeshare with free 2016 use.

and will Ron deliver the Suite deed in a Santa Suit - when this sweet deal ,
Christmas Layaway Timeshare has points to use ?

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
and will Ron deliver the Suite deed in a Santa Suit - when this
Christmas Layaway Timeshare has points to use ?

The deed would already be in your name after about 3 months. Just no usable points attached to it for a year and a half.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can Ron, or another Wyndham points expert please clarify this for me?

The new owner will have to pay the maintenance fees on these contracts for the rest of 2016, 2017 and 2018, but they won't get any points until the 2019 points are available - correct?

How much will the maintenance fees be for 2016, 2017 and 2018 (total)?

I answered that in my original post

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the Canterbury, for example, buyer would be responsible for about half of 2016 by the time transfer is complete, so 2.5 years. $4*500=2,000 for 2.5 years would be about $5K plus MF increases. First year of actual use could be in 1.5 years if the buyer credit pools.

So $10/K spread over 2.5 years isn't a bad deal.

No

if you credit pool the first use can be Jan 2017

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
No

if you credit pool the first use can be Jan 2017

Yep you're right. You can credit pool two years out. I just did it last month, and made a mistake in my above post.

So ~6 months of MF before your first possible use.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points Chart - Wyndham Canterbury San Francisco
Weeks 1-52
1 BR 300,000 per week
2 BR Deluxe 400,000 per week
1 BR Presidential 400,000 per week
2 BR Presidential 500,000 per week
3 BRPresidential 625,000 per week

Unless someone was VIP Gold or Platinum (to get the discount) the cost to stay at this resort seems high to me. Points used to stay elsewhere would be more cost efficient.

Maintenance fees of $4 per 1,000 pts is VERY GOOD!
The waiting period to get the points (unless you use the credit pool needs to be considered. Long term versus short term usage.

Cynthia T. :)

The points to stay here are very high which is why the maintenance fee rate is so low

As I said in another post the best use of this is for stays at the legacy resorts off season

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The urban resorts ALL seem to have a HIGH point cost to reserve .. it makes SELLING the resort easy ... ie:
Look these MFs per 1,000 points is CHEAP ... look how much a place in Vegas will cost up to stay; Or Hawaii. And dang, Wyndham sales gets the resort SOLD.

Yes, Platinum VIPs owning at other resorts, still see a decent value when using the 50% discount and unit upgrade.

I spoke to one of the Canterbury salesmen last week They love it that so much of this place is occupied every night my guests of owners. (Customers of the megarenters) here's how they sell it:

"you probably paid $200-$300 a night to rent from one of our platinum owners. Become a platinum owner yourself and you can stay here for just $600 a week and at the other Wyndham resorts for less than that"

They conveniently forget to mention that it takes over 150k to become a platinum owner

Last edited:

asreiter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at resale prices for a few months and if I didn't need points for vacation next year I would be all over that Canterbury contract.....it's an amazing deal really

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at resale prices for a few months and if I didn't need points for vacation next year I would be all over that Canterbury contract.....it's an amazing deal really

Remember you can get to 500000 points in jan 2017. It then becomes a question of availability

What I would do for a buyer is make their reservation in my account now and then in January we could coordinate a cancel and re book

Last edited:

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am amazed noone has just asked to take over your business and learn your special sauce... or what the cost of that would be...

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep you're right. You can credit pool two years out. I just did it last month, and made a mistake in my above post.

So ~6 months of MF before your first possible use.

And because these are not January use years, the first use for the 2019 points if you do not credit pool, is april 2018 and 10 months ahead of that means you will be able to make that April 2018 reservation in June 2017. About a year into your ownership. And that's without credit pooling

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am amazed noone has just asked to take over your business and learn your special sauce... or what the cost of that would be...

I'm not ready to give it all up. In 5 years (age 75) I want to be down to a relatively small account. It took me 5 years to build up what I have. I'll take 5 years to unwind it. I'm happy to show anyone interested in what I'm doing. I can think of at least a couple of guys, that have already taken some of what I've learned and made it their own but I don't thing I have anything that can't be easily duplicated. This ain't rocket science

And looking back I can thank Tug and especially Linda and Jim and Rick and Cindy and another Jim and Mike and another Mike and others that I forget their names but not their help and advice and let's not forget the Wyndham owner care people Diana and Kate and Cole and Travis and others that put up with my crap on almost a daily basis and are nothing but sweet and kind and helpful in spite of it

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Ron - thank you for sharing on TUG

I'm not ready to give it all up. In 5 years (age 75) I want to be down to a relatively small account. It took me 5 years to build up what I have. I'll take 5 years to unwind it. I'm happy to show anyone interested in what I'm doing. I can think of at least a couple of guys, that have already taken some of what I've learned and made it their own but I don't thing I have anything that can't be easily duplicated. This ain't rocket science

And looking back I can thank Tug and especially Linda and Jim and Rick and Cindy and another Jim and Mike and another Mike and others that I forget their names but not their help and advice and let's not forget the Wyndham owner care people Diana and Kate and Cole and Travis and others that put up with my crap on almost a daily basis and are nothing but sweet and kind and helpful in spite of it

I have learned a lot about Wyndham - and if someday in retirement I ever buy a contract like the Canterbury contract listed in this post it will be because of all the great information shared on TUG by you and others .

I am sure you could run your business without helping others learn , but it is nice to witness when I get my daily TUG fix.

.Same thanks to many others on TUG , Mods, and members and including some who have moved on to the big TS in the sky .

And don't forget - Ron has a million point contract posted as well

Last edited:

Kokanee1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tug is awesome and Ron is my hero.

Recently retired and not at all interested in creating a Wyndham rental empire.
Very much interested in exploring more timeshare vacations. Very much interested in more Wyndham points. Thank you Ron for the knowledge you've shared with us timeshare newbies on Tug. PM your way.

Cathy