TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Would you retro NOW?

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by DannyTS, Jul 31, 2019.

1. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

We only own resale Vistana weeks, both voluntary and mandatory. Despite the repeated threats made by the sales people in the past year, the minimum to retro a contract has come down to about $10,000. We have the option to do that and be 3 star elite or for about double retro more, give back some, you know the drill... and be 4 star elite.

One one hand IF the overlay never comes or IF it is disappointing for the voluntary resale owners and especially for the voluntary AND mandatory resale owners, maybe it is not a bad thing to do it now. I am thinking Marriott may realign the sales strategies once there is more clarity with the new programs. On the other hand my strong feeling is that there is going to be enrollment offered so I would just waste $$ and feel completely stupid after that.

I think I will do nothing but it itches me a little bit to be honest. What would you do?

2. cubigbird

cubigbird Tug Review Crew Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay
    Go in with the end in mind. Do you have a specific plan in mind that you would eventually accomplish and actually use? If so, it might be worth it. Don't just retro to retro. Currently, the most valuable benefit of 3 star elite is the extended SO banking deadline and 4 star elite is the waitlist, but as we have seen the waitlist isn’t perfect and hasn’t always worked. I wouldn’t do it for elite status. If you currently have no plan, I would wait.

3. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

Maybe try and see if they will guarantee free enrollment in any MVC offer within the next 5 years or something? Obviously would need to be I writing...

4. echino

echino TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Piñon Pointe
    Hyatt Coconut Plantation
    Hyatt Windward Pointe
    Harborside at Atlantis
    Westin Ka'anapali
    Westin St. John
    Marriott Canyon Villas
    Marriott St. Kitts
    Marriott Ko Olina
    No!

CPNY likes this.
  5. vacationtime1

vacationtime1 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MAW & MKW (Kauai)
    WKORV-OFC (Maui)
    WKV x4 (Scottsdale)
    The only thing certain about a retro at this point is the expense.

Vistana status is of questionable value at best (is it really worth $10,000 for the privilege of banking SO's two months later than you could otherwise?) and even that is likely to change. The future is enrolling in the Marriott DC -- something that is unlikely to be free.

Save your money for something with value.

SteelerGal and CalGalTraveler like this.
  6. Ken555

Ken555 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    Absolutely not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. sjsharkie

sjsharkie TUG Member

No.

You are better off buying mandatory if you want to make a gamble now (before changes are made). While I do believe Marriott can change the VSE program at any time, others have commented that since mandatory is defined within the CCRs, it is unlikely.

I personally do not believe the programs will combine. Overlay, maybe, but it will be at a cost -- and there is a chance it will only apply to mandatory properties.

Anyway, for the cost, retro (to me) is not worth it.

-ryan

8. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

At one of the owners updates they suggested that only the elite owners would be allowed to exchange the Options into DC points. I know that was pure speculation, this was last fall and they knew even less at that time than they know now so I do not put too much weight on that. Still, it stuck in my mind as one of the unlikely but still possible scenarios.

9. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

it seems that everybody confirms that it is not a good use of our money. Known cost, unknown benefits

CPNY likes this.
  10. mjm1

mjm1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Desert Springs Villas I, Ko Olina (EOY), Maui Ocean Club- Lahaina Villas, Newport Coast Villas, Destination Club Points;
    Westin Kierland Villas- Annual & EOY;
    HGVC at Flamingo
    That sounds like a sales ploy to get a sale. I’m still a believer that MVC will allow enrollment similar to what they allowed for MVC weeks owners. Their goal will be to get as many Vistana weeks enrolled so the enrolled owners can access and try an overlay program and then ultimately try to sell DC points to them.

So, I wouldn’t spend the money currently. Wait and see how things develop.

Best regards.

Mike

vacationtime1 and SteelerGal like this.
  11. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Harborside Resort at Atlantis
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella

12. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    I’d only retro a resale week if you had a week that was worth an extremely high amount of star options, and if you use star options to stay in Vistana. Don’t hold off or purchase because of “what ifs”. If you’re only reason for a retro purchase is to beat the deadline of a new program, it’s not worth it, because you just don’t know. Only buy and retro if you want the usage of those star options. Everyone will have their own opinions on the matter, but in the end it’s your money and your timeshare usage. Don’t worry about elite status, that’s not worth tens of thousands of dollars or hundreds of thousands of dollars

13. jackball

jackball Guest

Sorry for the newbie question, but what does “DC” stand for?

14. vacationtime1

Resorts Owned:
    MAW & MKW (Kauai)
    WKORV-OFC (Maui)
    WKV x4 (Scottsdale)
    Marriott's Destination Club (which is sometimes referred to as Marriott Vacation Club = MVC).

15. jackball

jackball Guest

Thanks. So DC=MVC?

16. vacationtime1

Resorts Owned:
    MAW & MKW (Kauai)
    WKORV-OFC (Maui)
    WKV x4 (Scottsdale)
    They may be different legal entities, but at least for my purposes, they are interchangeable.

17. duke

duke TUG Member

Five Star Elite is all that matters.
    If the benefits work for you then calculate it out.

18. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    DC is a type of ownership program, vacation ownership interest within MVC, using points to book. You can also own the older typical type of vacation ownership interest, a unit type within a deeded week at a specific resort. Also referred to as “weeks ownership”

From what I’ve learned here is Weeks can be enrolled into the DC program. Essentially your week ownership is enrolled and assigned a point value in the DC program. You can either use your week ownership or utilize the point valuation within the DC program and book at other resorts. It seems that MVC did things backwards imo and now the enrolled week ownership into the DC program is similar to the Vistana and HGVC network way of ownership usage. Ideally it all depends on what you own and where you want to go

19. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

No. I honestly don't understand the value of Elite. I thought that Elite would get priority view but I learned that reservation timestamp trumps elite. I thought Elite would get faster check-in through dedicated check-in. We were pulled to elite desk to mitigate line. We don't bank our SO's so banking deadline doesn't matter.

Plus too many unknowns about MVC.

Save your money for an MVC overlay and even then you might want to save your money!

20. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    I'm 5-Star Elite (discovered TUG too late!). The biggest benefit that I use most is the early check-in of 2:00 pm and the late check-out of 12:00 noon. In the last three years I've only once been denied use of the late check-out of noon and then they allowed 11:00 a.m. That was our most recent stay at Westin Riverfront. Since they only have 34 1-bedroom premium villas, the number of units doesn't give them much flexibility since they tend to be full most of the year with exception of the true shoulder months of April/May and October/November.

21. duke

duke TUG Member

The benefit of 5 Star Elite is with the hotels (which now there are alot more).

22. jabberwocky

jabberwocky TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVR, SDO (EOYE), WKORV-N (EOYO), Westin Flex (EOYO)
    I'm finding this to be an interesting thread as I'm currently considering doing a retro for our SDO EOY true platinum (worth 148,100 EOY). At our last presentation in March they offered to take our SVR fixed/floating week 51 (developer purchase worth 81,000) +$11k and give us 81,000 Sheraton Flex options. Obviously this was going nowhere as I couldn't justify paying $400 more in MF for something that I already own and is superior to Sheraton Flex.

It did get me to thinking that the Westin Flex EOY purchase might be a good fit with our portfolio to pair with our WKORV-N EOY OF week as we could then add a day or two to our Hawaii vacation and possible take advantage of better flights etc.

Has anyone run across the pricing for Westin Flex EOY? Last quoted price for Westin Flex annual I saw was $0.37/option - but this was awhile ago and I imagine there is a small premium for EOY. I'm thinking if I could pick up a 30k contract for $11k that would give us more options as well as retro in our existing unit.

I'm wondering for the $10k minimum that is now being quoted here. Is that just the new cash portion that has to come in (i.e., the minimum is $20k but only $10k is cash - the other can be trade-in) or is it just a straight $10k purchase with no $20k min?

23. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    I assume you are saying that Bonvoy Platinum, which is awarded to Vistana 5-Star Elite, is worth a lot more. Perhaps, but since the loyalty program merger in August 2018, the Platinum benefits have been greatly devalued and the hotels now seem to have immunity when they refuse to follow the T&C of the Bonvoy program. Unlike Starwood under the SPG program, when a complaint is lodged with Marriott the usual answer is "it is subject to hotel participation".

24. Markus

Markus TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WLR, WSJ, WKV, WDW, VSE 5*
    If your voluntary week is a platinum week, I would consider it. Think of the StarOptions that you would be able to use elsewhere. Also the ability to convert to Bonvoy points. I know others have said not a good deal, but I disagree, if you own a low MF week, and use the points in Europe, there is value. I just think that the flexibility you will have will be worthwhile.

I had an update last week at Riverfront and they were saying that its too complicated to combine the programs, mostly because of the fact that deeds are involved. I think that Marriott may only decide to optimize the sales channels and processes and not try to combine. Essentially if they are making money from a subsidiary, that may be fine, and good enough.

Markus

25. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

all my weeks are platinum