• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

World's worst renter

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think (4) wants rental prices to rise. Pretty hard to sell someone who rented a 3 bedroom presidential for $1299/week on making a $40k purchase to get a regular 2 bedroom for $1299/week...

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean walk daytona, Brandon at the falls, and great Smokies lodge
Thank you for all of this thread and hopefully your rentals will return. I have only rented a few times but only to friends who value my timeshares and want to help me pay MF. I never purchased for renting and worried about IRS audits if I did. I still have availability of upgrades and discounts and my MF are low so at least I can continue using my timeshares to pay them. I tell each person to tell the personnel they are very busy and can't take time to have a meal and listen to any sales. So far no one has bothered them until they return home and get calls for future vacations that are headaches since they have to listen and don't have the luxury of a condo in most cases. I look forward to having my website not shared with Voyager and maybe get back on the vacation times versus business of rentals.

Last edited:

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
Yes .. prior to the 'upgrade' and new rules, there was a 'circle of life' symbiotic relationship between 1) VIP owners, 2) rentors, 3) renters and 4) Wyndham sales. This was because VIP owners could get more value for their points than non-VIP owners, rentors could make a buck, renters could get something affordable and Wyndham Sales would get a fresh supply of wide-eyed prospects to visit their sales office. Now I know as a fact that groups 1 and 2 are not getting their value and are extremely upset
As part of group 1, I totally agree and have given up any thoughts of renting Wyndham. Fortunately I found someone that wanted my points.

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As part of group 1, I totally agree and have given up any thoughts of renting Wyndham. Fortunately I found someone that wanted my points.
Group 1 too and still love my resorts and go a few days during value time, use smallest unit and discount then upgrade. Hopefully my charity will get some donations to have my deeds

Baby Jane

Reaction score
Yes .. prior to the 'upgrade' and new rules, there was a 'circle of life' symbiotic relationship between 1) VIP owners, 2) rentors, 3) renters and 4) Wyndham sales. This was because VIP owners could get more value for their points than non-VIP owners, rentors could make a buck, renters could get something affordable and Wyndham Sales would get a fresh supply of wide-eyed prospects to visit their sales office. Now I know as a fact that groups 1 and 2 are not getting their value and are extremely upset, I'm pretty sure group 3 gets less satisfaction and I'll just bet group 4 is thwarted,frustrated and less successful as well. I truly hope this does not spell the "beginning of the end" of Wyndham as a growing / thriving vacation ownership company. It seems they are throwing away the 'secret sauce' that made this formula work so well in the past.

Bob
I am not sure how well renting will go for me but I do know when your booking peak summer spring or fall break what you can rent most weeks for is way cheaper than the open market. I was surrprised to find at least 2 of my friends so far this year have been willing to pay the extra cost.If you try to find even beachfont hotels they are over 200 a night. I am not doing it for profit though I just want to recoupe cost of points we can't use.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
IMHO

I think group 3 are going to be traveling off prime time for the $100 a night or save the money and stay home. Many expect to travel for $100 a night, prime time, (we all see it) and until now have been able to do it on a regular bases. This is drying up.

Group 2 is going to be on a more even playing field without the discounts. Driving prices up to at least an actual cost rental. (no cancel -rebook, only reserve so many touching reservation, etc)

Group 2 will not have to pay for half of group 3s vacation just to get a little help on the MF's , with the new playing field.

Group 3 will find out primetime costs 3 to 4 times (sometimes more) that $100 a night (check what your resort rents that week for directly, I think many would be surprised)

This will actually help resales because being a owner could save you some money when this happens, I predict pretty soon.

Tug's 24 year $100 a night price freeze for last minute vacation request / or plan changing give aways, has enabled this expectation to happen today. I bet 20 years ago Group 3 had to pay a more "at cost" price and I'm sure were offered below the $100 a night price to get them rented out when plans changed.
As I'm sure $100 last minute would still be available today, when asking to go somewhere at prime time the true cost of ownership will appear opening up the eyes of many who think this is a dirt cheap way to travel.

As owners we are not cheap. We work hard to save ourselves a few dollars.

What I have learned here is that I can travel anywhere in the world as a renter without being a owner. More than not save money doing so. With very little hassle.
My highest expectation would be to get to travel, at owners cost.
If I were able to do this I would feel I got a good deal. Is this not why we bought, we feel our cost is a good deal.

All Group1, group2, and the new Group3 could be happy.

Old $100 night Group3 prime time would be unhappy. This group does not shop Redweek

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes .. prior to the 'upgrade' and new rules, there was a 'circle of life' symbiotic relationship between 1) VIP owners, 2) rentors, 3) renters and 4) Wyndham sales. This was because VIP owners could get more value for their points than non-VIP owners, rentors could make a buck, renters could get something affordable and Wyndham Sales would get a fresh supply of wide-eyed prospects to visit their sales office. Now I know as a fact that groups 1 and 2 are not getting their value and are extremely upset, I'm pretty sure group 3 gets less satisfaction and I'll just bet group 4 is thwarted,frustrated and less successful as well. I truly hope this does not spell the "beginning of the end" of Wyndham as a growing / thriving vacation ownership company. It seems they are throwing away the 'secret sauce' that made this formula work so well in the past.

Bob
This was not a "circle of life" it was a half-circle of profitability for VIP renters who could book-cancel-rebook-upgrade the same reservation to the detriment of owners willing to book that same reservation at the same booking window for full points.

Voyager does not mean the "beginning of the end" for this secret sauce scam; it means the end of this scam.

It won't make one difference to the sales department. They can still sell the concept of "50% VIP discounts mean twice as many reservations" (and that is what was presented at my last "update". It just won't be 13-month reservations rebooked 11 months later).

Last edited:

Baby Jane

Reaction score
This was not a "circle of life" it was a half-circle of profitability for VIP renters who could book-cancel-rebook-upgrade the same reservation to the detriment of owners willing to book that same reservation at the same booking window for full points.

Voyager does not mean the "beginning of the end" for this secret sauce scam; it means the end of this scam.

It won't make one difference to the sales department. They can still sell the concept of "50% VIP discounts mean twice as many reservations" (and that is what was presented at my last "update". It just won't be 13-month reservations rebooked 11 months later).[/QU

When we bought they sold us on cancel rebook and renting. As stated before we never have done it for profit just trying to recoupe maintenance on what we do not currently use. When we retire we hope to use all those weeks ourselves but were hoping it would stretch to truly get that 50% discount. Not sure if it will work or not.

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

It won't make one difference to the sales department. They can still sell the concept of "50% VIP discounts mean twice as many reservations" (and that is what was presented at my last "update". It just won't be 13-month reservations rebooked 11 months later).
Interesting sales pitch. Where was this?

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
. As stated before we never have done it for profit just trying to recoupe maintenance on what we do not currently use. When we retire we hope to use all those weeks ourselves but were hoping it would stretch to truly get that 50% discount. Not sure if it will work or not.
We are in the same place. No big deal if we can’t rent out at a profit. Right now it appears we only get the 50% discount on ‘leftovers’. That makes the sales pitch technically true but actually baseless.

The pendulum may swing .. they used to tout that most of their sales were to repeat customers. I agree they should have rules that prevent ‘mass profiting’ through renting but they should re-arrange things to restore more VIP value. The restrictions on guest certificates would have been enough to curtail the large scale renting.

Bob

Baby Jane

Reaction score
We are in the same place. No big deal if we can’t rent out at a profit. Right now it appears we only get the 50% discount on ‘leftovers’. That makes the sales pitch technically true but actually baseless.

The pendulum may swing .. they used to tout that most of their sales were to repeat customers. I agree they should have rules that prevent ‘mass profiting’ through renting but they should re-arrange things to restore more VIP value. The restrictions on guest certificates would have been enough to curtail the large scale renting.

Bob
Due to the location we used to live most of my friends like smokey mountains and for that I dont book if its not discounted.