• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Women's Olympic Snowboard Cross Final

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Did anybody see the final of the women's event in this? I haven't laughed so much in years. :D
For those who didn't see it - one girl was way ahead, the others having either crashed or had other problems along the way. She was so certain that she couldn't be beaten she did a bit of 'showboating' over the final jump and landed flat on her backside. By the time she got up and going again the girl who had been in second place, and a long way back, had passed her and won gold.
That should teach her that you haven't won anything until you cross the finishing line first.
After the event she tried to claim that she hadn't been trying to grab the board. If that is the case, what was she doing? trying to display the manufacturers name to the camera?

MarTN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although I didn't see it, I heard about it. :cool:

I feel bad for the mom of the skater who missed his bus. How many times did she drive him to lessons?

judyjht

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is what she gets for trying to be a smart a--!! She is USA too - too bad. Hope she learned a lesson.

teachingmyown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Like none of us have never done something impulsively that we later <<instantly?>> regretted? (uh, like maybe listening to a timeshare developer's salespitch?!!? :eek: ) I just feel sorry for her that it happened in front of so many cameras.

Detailor

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
teachingmyown said:
Like none of us have never done something impulsively that we later <<instantly?>> regretted? (uh, like maybe listening to a timeshare developer's salespitch?!!? :eek: ) I just feel sorry for her that it happened in front of so many cameras.

Good point!
I'd push that question up a notch to ask how many of us - now, let alone at twenty years old, would dare place ourselves on the world stage to have our every move, success or mistake inspected. Who amongst us, embarrassed and hurt by an innocent act of exuberance, would be brave enough to own up to having made a big mistake. This young lady might have immediately tried to deny, but she later admitted to her error during press conference. Did you happen to see the award ceremony during which she had to listen to the other winner's national anthem and then gave her a big high five? I think any twenty year old who DOESN'T have anything to learn is probably just a fictional character.
Dick Taylor

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
JeffV said:
I am amazed how many are thrilled by anothers mistake.

The mistakes of others I can generally sympathise with. Arrogance I cannot tolerate. This individual was attempting, intentionally or otherwise, to rub the noses of the other competitors in the dirt. "Look, I am so much better than them I even have time to do tricks and still beat them" was the message being sent out.
A few years ago I was watching an international football match (soccer in the USA). The team leading 1-0 with only a couple of minutes of added time remaining started celebrating and waving to their supporters. The other team scored twice in 2 minutes to win the game.
Which team deserved to win? The one that thought they had it sewn up and started showboating or the team that played until the end?

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
JeffV said:
I am amazed how many are thrilled by anothers mistake.

Like "the agony of defeat" guy?

Yes, I saw it. Yes, it was bad judgement.

Anyway, I really like the sport. It's like short track speed skating on a snowboard.

-David

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Icarus said:
Anyway, I really like the sport. It's like short track speed skating on a snowboard.

-David

I agree. It was fantastically exciting. The men's events even more than the womens as the racing was generally closer and they looked to be going even faster.

Incidentally, they showed another part of the interview with her. She started off by saying she was ashamed of herself which I thought was good to admit. She then spoilt it by saying that as she is a freestyler she should have landed it properly. Some people just don't seem to know when to quit :(

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
the NO FEAR generation

It's the NO FEAR generation, and sadly, also the NO BRAIN generation for some. (repeat: for SOME) .They haven't a clue as to what it probably took for the Dad to take this kid skiing all these years, provide her pretty little outfits....the whole family "had that look".....a look of a prosperous family with money and many trips to Aspen, Vail, etc., etc. I'm not judging (well, I guess I sorta am) , but it just appeared that way. I'm sorry for what the girl will carry all her life. She'll regret it, and it's probably soaking in right now to a minor degree. And so will the family.... but her "I'm too cool" arrogance with the showboating has bitten her in her posterior...she didn't realize that she was representing HER COUNTRY, 'scuse me, but instead, thought she was the princess of the snow bunnies, and that this was "about HER" as an individual. Then she tried to lie, but her coach and others knew the truth. Somehow, truth and "rightness" always come around, don't they? I am always proud of those who struggle to achieve, and react to victory with grace and humility. The ground is scattered with the broken dreams of arrogant airheads. You see it in all walks of life and endeavors. It is a sad story. Maybe one of THE greatest sports gaffes in history. jme

Last edited:

Detailor

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
jme said:
Maybe one of THE greatest sports gaffes in history. jme
How does this error in judgement match up, say, to Ron Artest going into the stands to attack an idiot fan? How about Juan Marichal beating John Roseboro over the head with a bat? Kermit Washington punching out Rudy Tomjanovich when Rudy T. was trying to break up an on-court fight?
This girl made a mistake that at least hurt no one else either figuratively or literally. For us to guess what her motivation for hotdogging was (arrogance or celebration?) is nothing short of ludicrous.
Dick Taylor

jwq387

TUG Member
Reaction score
women's snowboard cross

jme said:
It's the NO FEAR generation, and sadly, also the NO BRAIN generation for some. (repeat: for SOME) .They haven't a clue as to what it probably took for the Dad to take this kid skiing all these years, provide her pretty little outfits....the whole family "had that look".....a look of a prosperous family with money and many trips to Aspen, Vail, etc., etc. I'm not judging (well, I guess I sorta am) , but it just appeared that way. I'm sorry for what the girl will carry all her life. She'll regret it, and it's probably soaking in right now to a minor degree. And so will the family.... but her "I'm too cool" arrogance with the showboating has bitten her in her posterior...she didn't realize that she was representing HER COUNTRY, 'scuse me, but instead, thought she was the princess of the snow bunnies, and that this was "about HER" as an individual. Then she tried to lie, but her coach and others knew the truth. Somehow, truth and "rightness" always come around, don't they? I am always proud of those who struggle to achieve, and react to victory with grace and humility. The ground is scattered with the broken dreams of arrogant airheads. You see it in all walks of life and endeavors. It is a sad story. Maybe one of THE greatest sports gaffes in history. jme
That was so bitter. She made an error in judgement. It cost her the gold. Everybody needs to get over it. That's why we in Cleveland are so proud of Lebron James, probably one of the most mature 21 year old superstars ever. He speaks like a guy who has been in the NBA for 10 years. He gets it. Ms. Jacobellus(sp?) unfortunately doesn't get IT.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
A typical 20-year-old mistake.

I applaud the younger generation for bringing some finally-interesting-and-entertaining events to the Winter Olympics~~~Whether they screw it or up or not, they are fun to watch and they look like they are having fun doing them.

The standard sarcastic line in our house whenever the all-too-often ice skating show comes on TV is, "You can't get enough ice skating!" :cool:

I was ice-skated out about Dorothy Hamill time.

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you are making way too much of it! So much analyzing about her mind-set.

Listen, she's 20, she was thrilled, and she did something she's probably done 1000 times without mishap. this time - well, it just didn't work.

At least when she fell - there was a reason! Lots of competitors hit the snow for seemingly no reason at all.

She still won the silver. She's really the only one who lost. Yes, she represented the US - but her over-exuverance was not detrimental to our country.

At least she admitted her mistake and apologized! Unlike other people who represent the US.......

Gadabout

Reaction score
I saw it replayed several times last night, and until they slowed it down to a snail's pace, it didn't look like anything that special or out of the ordinary--it wasn't as if she'd tried to twist around in the air or do a flip or something like that.

And in the greater scheme of things, it's not as bad as Kwan trying to get on the team (I think she *knew* she was in no condition to skate at a truly competitive level when she applied for that medical bye), or Johnny Wier and his attitude, or Bode Miller and his issues, or even when you cringe at people dragging their country's (including ours) flags around like they are rags....

chris5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Detailor said:
How does this error in judgement match up, say, to Ron Artest going into the stands to attack an idiot fan? How about Juan Marichal beating John Roseboro over the head with a bat? Kermit Washington punching out Rudy Tomjanovich when Rudy T. was trying to break up an on-court fight?
This girl made a mistake that at least hurt no one else either figuratively or literally. For us to guess what her motivation for hotdogging was (arrogance or celebration?) is nothing short of ludicrous.
Dick Taylor

I think the point that was being made was that it was the biggest mistake of showboating that anyone could recall. An article in the sports section of the Washington Post actually rated it as the worst one, displacing the Leon Lett showboating mistake a few decades ago (Lett scooped up a fumble in the Super Bowl, ran 75 yards for what appeared to be a likely TD, and then celebrated before he got to the end zone by waving the ball around -- only to get it knocked out by an opposing team player running behind him). There were a few other showboating mistakes in the article, but Jacobellis's mistake at this Olympics will live in infamy. I bet for many years afterwards, coaches and teachers will be using this as a good example of "premature celebration."
BTW, who cares what was her motivation for showboating? It was just plain stupid, and I'm sure this mistake has done more for us all, than the Gold Medal she would have won -- but I'm sure she wished she hadn't learned this lesson on such a grand scale.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
my point was

My point was that "it's never over 'til it's over"....that's the seriousness of sports. She was snowboarding FOR HER COUNTRY before herself. Maybe she thought it was the other way around (I think so). One should be AT the Olympics knowing all this, and celebrate AFTER the victory. That's when celebrations are done. An expensive lesson for sure. she has forever branded herself with a "mistake of childhood"....whatever! I do also think that Bode Miller is imploding because of the same general "gaze at oneself", and Johnny Weir is just off the charts....more like Johnny WIERD. He's a great talent, but ....get this....misses a bus???? Be there on time, buddy....he allowed a 20 minutes' delay to "rob him of his aura and inner peace"....WHAT?????? Back to Bode....regarding his pre-Olympics statement that he skiied drunk, one might question whether he's doing it now. If not, and this is how he performs sober, imagine where he'd be "in the trees" if he were drunk! He might even take off and land somehwere in the Mediterranean Sea. I guess this is what makes the Olympics such a wonderful and unpredictable series of events ...a true soap opera of sports! Each time seems to outdo the previous one. Thank goodness for hardship stories which end in victory and happiness, like the Russian ice skater Plushenko , who had to leave home at age 11 , live away from his family, and now comes back to win gold and will forever have no need for money! He said his father had to collect bottles to make a living "way back when". What a great story. NOW, compare that to the snowboarder's story (Jacobellis). Sorta different, huh???? That's the reason for my scathing remarks about her. He gets it...she doesn't. Somewhere she forgot the whole reason for why she was there. Duty, honor, country....like the Marines. Then party. WAY down the list. (One sidenote: if I were the gold medal winner in that event, I would have given up the gold, given it back to Jacobellis after reviewing why it happened....knowing that the girl beat her outright. Beat her badly! Beat her butt! I couldn't live with myself knowing how I truly won. Yep, she did win, but did she? I couldn't go around saying "I'm the best"...in reality , Jacobellis beat her rear end off, and should take the gold.....but that's just me. I'm honest and that's whatv I would have done myself....and it would be the right thing to do, in my opinion. It would make that gold medal winner MUCH more of a hero. Yes, she won it fair and square, according to the rules..."whoever crosses the finish line first wins", BUT....there's always a "but"...To me, that gold medal will always be tainted. Anyway, I do feel sorry for Jacobellis....out of the goodness of my heart, she was terrific. I can only pray that she comes back and wins GOLD next time. I'll bet she does. jme

Bruce W

TUG Member
Reaction score
A local sportswriter summed it by saying, we all will forget about in a week or so, but, Lindsay Jacobellis will forever be known for it. He said her obituary in 50-70 years will always say she was leading the Olympics in 2006 and fell because of showboating, or something to that effect.

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
jme said:
(One sidenote: if I were the gold medal winner in that event, I would have given up the gold, given it back to Jacobellis after reviewing why it happened....knowing that the girl beat her outright. Beat her badly! Beat her butt! I couldn't live with myself knowing how I truly won. Yep, she did win, but did she? I couldn't go around saying "I'm the best"...in reality , Jacobellis beat her rear end off, and should take the gold.....but that's just me. I'm honest and that's whatv I would have done myself....and it would be the right thing to do, in my opinion. It would make that gold medal winner MUCH more of a hero. Yes, she won it fair and square, according to the rules..."whoever crosses the finish line first wins", BUT....there's always a "but"...To me, that gold medal will always be tainted.

The winner is the first, or quickest, over the finishing line not the one that was leading 100 yards before it. Use the analogy of a marathon runner leading the race and collapsing 100 yards before the finish. Should the person who was second at that stage and goes on to win say "No, you were ahead of me earlier in the race, you have the gold medal"?
Even in the snowboard final others had crashed earlier. How do we know one of them wouldn't have won if they had stayed on their feet?
Bode Miller might have won the downhill if he hadn't made mistakes. Why not give him the gold for that?
The Brits would have won the 2 man bobsleigh if they hadn't made mistakes and been beaten by 12 other teams. Oh, it's our gold after all.
I have heard some daft arguments in my time, but that one takes the prize :confused: :confused:

chris5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keitht said:
I have heard some daft arguments in my time, but that one takes the prize :confused: :confused:

That was funny! I always thought it was "daff" instead of daft. I thought it was short for "daffy" as in "daffy duck", a simple-minded cartoon character from the Looney Tunes shows.

It's daffy in my mind to diminish the luster of a gold medal properly awarded to the athlete who won the race, irrespective of whether another athlete "lost" the gold medal and placed second or third! It was like that Austrialian speed skater the last Olympics who crossed the finish line first after everyone else crashed in front of him -- and he came from last place.

I think it's really stretching matters to say that Jacobellis disgraced the USA by her showing in this event; she didn't cheat, she didn't lie, she gave it her best and she just made a stupid mistake. She wears her nation's colors but she and other athletes represent themselves first, not their country -- I thought that was what the Olympic spirit was supposed to showcase, not the medal counting, nationalistic stuff most of us get caught into.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

delete please

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Keitht said:
Bode Miller might have won the downhill if he hadn't made mistakes. Why not give him the gold for that?
The Brits would have won the 2 man bobsleigh if they hadn't made mistakes and been beaten by 12 other teams. Oh, it's our gold after all.

Answer to quote: Yep, and the Brits didn't have a 10 second lead in the last few yards , with the back guy jumping out of the bobsleigh to celebrate too early, either. They lost because they were , let's say, technically deficient. Not so Jacobellis. She lost because she "jumped out of the bobsleigh" celebrating too early. BIG difference. The Brits were trying to the end, Jacobellis was not. Again, BIG difference. She was not a shame toward her country...she just forgot about it, and the true task at hand, and was showing off. *******Final suggestion: Like the biathlon where the cross-country skiers stop and shoot rifles, I think that the bobsleigh SHOULD have a halfway point at which everyone jumps out and the riders throw darts, like in the pubs....that would allow the Brits to be much more competitive. Anything else would simply be "daft". jme ;)

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
jme said:
Final suggestion: Like the biathlon where the cross-country skiers stop and shoot rifles, I think that the bobsleigh SHOULD have a halfway point at which everyone jumps out and the riders throw darts, like in the pubs....that would allow the Brits to be much more competitive. Anything else would simply be "daft". jme ;)

I think that is a brilliant idea :D The only problem I can see is the Brits would look for the bar instead of the dartboard :rolleyes:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Cheers!

Keith, All I can really add is....Cheers !!! jme

Gadabout

Reaction score
chris5 said:
It's daffy in my mind to diminish the luster of a gold medal properly awarded to the athlete who won the race, irrespective of whether another athlete "lost" the gold medal and placed second or third! It was like that Austrialian speed skater the last Olympics who crossed the finish line first after everyone else crashed in front of him -- and he came from last place.

I think it's really stretching matters to say that Jacobellis disgraced the USA by her showing in this event; she didn't cheat, she didn't lie, she gave it her best and she just made a stupid mistake. She wears her nation's colors but she and other athletes represent themselves first, not their country -- I thought that was what the Olympic spirit was supposed to showcase, not the medal counting, nationalistic stuff most of us get caught into.

It's no different when the first place winner would get DQ'd in swimming for say, flutter kicking during the breaststroke, or not touching the wall, or whatever, and some slower swimmer would actually win. Attention to detail.

The Olympics should be about the athletes. Although what I find most amusing is when a lot of these people say they're so proud of representing their country, yet it seems in a majority of the cases they live and train in the USA. I mean, if you applied the standard residency requirements that any school district does for sports team eligibilty, most of these people would not qualify as representing their country, so the medals tally would be quite different. (the above is just an observation, nothing more).