• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

woman loses 412,000 dollars to upfront fee timeshare resale scam

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
The margins aren't quite as big as you suggest, though they are still there.

You aren't including employer payroll taxes, which are probably going to tack on another 10% or so on top of payroll. Then, depending on how the business is structured and operates (C Corp, S Corp, LLC) if she isn't on payroll she will also be paying Self-Employment tax, which is going to take about another 15% off of her income.

+++++

Then there will be other general costs. If they have a physical office, there is rent for the office. There are office support costs - admin staff, accounting, human resources. If those aren't done in house (with office staff) then those will need to be contracted out. Business liability insurance will also need to be paid. Since medical services is a high risk field, I would expect that liability insurance is going to be between 5% and 10% of gross revenue, depending on deductibles. (I'm a self-employed professional engineer operating in significantly lower risk areas, and I pay about 4%.)

Off the top of my head, I would expect it costs her a minimum of $50,000 per year to keep the doors open.

I estimated $100k/yr for rent, utilities, and overhead. I forgot about insurance. But at about 10 percent, then her rent, utilities, overhead, and insurance would run $150k/yr. That means her salary is possibly $150k/yr.

PandasDaddy

Reaction score
Anyway, I live in Denver and get these calls non-stop from these companies. I am so sick and tired of the calls. When I have my grandkids, I just answer and leave the phone off of the hook. I just want the phone to STOP RINGING.
With all due respect, You have 21k posts and have been here for 14 years.

Give them either the close the phone in their face or have some fun:
Your honey is in vacation and is the only one handling the family finances.
His/Her phone number is:
-local FBI office number
-local sheriff number
-Fort Knox
-Secret Service
-Your least favorite charity
-your local senator office
-confirmed numbers of Nigerian princess

You are an expert at Timesharing; since you think different than the herd, why not have some fun in life.
If time is scarse, don't let them wait yours. close the phone.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, you are making a lot of assumptions about this lady.

Anyway, I live in Denver and get these calls non-stop from these companies. I am so sick and tired of the calls. When I have my grandkids, I just answer and leave the phone off of the hook. I just want the phone to STOP RINGING.

Use nomorobo (if you can, not all providers are supported)
On top of that I've also got a digitone device:
https://digitone.com/

The only complaint I have about the digitone is that if you want to block by name or wildcards (ie: Block all 800 numbers) is that you have to do some funky things with the phone (like dial various codes or something). But at least they have the Youtube videos now.

Now if only stuff worked for the cell phone (there is a nomorobo for cell phone, but it just puts them to Voicemail, so they leave messages). The one at home just hangs up on them (haha). Same with DigitOne. Buh-bye! mwaahaaahaa

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I had a friend that was so sick of telemarketers calling for new roof. Carpets cleaned. Siding etc

So he had them all come out and give bids
They would drive up to a huge log home. Copper roof. Imported tile and wood floors

They’d all be upset and ask why he would waste their time

His answer? You wasted mine first

Not as easily done with TS but maybe somehow run with it

Have them tell all they have to offer

Then say, sorry. I had to set the phone down to check something, can you explain from such and such point again?

Keep doing it until they block your number

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Now if only stuff worked for the cell phone (there is a nomorobo for cell phone, but it just puts them to Voicemail, so they leave messages).

I have nomorobo for my iPhone on AT&T, and when I get a call from an unidentified number, I make it go directly to voice mail. If they leave a message that's clearly spam, I report it to nomorobo, and then they block the number. I also tell my phone to block the number, and then I delete it from my list of recent calls. If they don't leave a message, I just delete the number from my recent call list.

Of course, that doesn't mean I don't get a call from the same spammer later, using a different number....

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Then say, sorry. I had to set the phone down to check something, can you explain from such and such point again?

Keep doing it until they block your number
Or you could get an Answer Bot - see how long they stay on the line after the call is redirected to the answer bot service.

jonreyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a rep. tell me he could get me $15k for my timeshare. I told him that if he could get me my original $9k that I paid for the timeshare, he could keep the rest as his commission. He told me that he wasn't able to do that and hung up.
If you pay upfront money for someone to sell your timeshare, they have no incentive to sell your unit. They already got paid.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Guy called and wanted to buy my timeshare for $15000. I told him to hold on for a few minutes while I bought nine more on eBay for $1 each and then he could send me a check for $1.5 Million. For some strange reason, he hung up on me and never called back.

Cheers

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Guy called and wanted to buy my timeshare for $15000. I told him to hold on for a few minutes while I bought nine more on eBay for $1 each and then he could send me a check for $1.5 Million. For some strange reason, he hung up on me and never called back.

Cheers

So close!!