• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKV Value?

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
One big advantage in owning the large side one bedroom platinum plus Kierland is its rentability. The large side easily rents for ~$2,350 during March; I have been hardpressed to rent the small side (the 67100 unit) for $1,400, and then only as part of a two bedroom rental.

Another advantage of the large side is if you are going to use it yourself; it is larger and nicer (obviously).

The economics of the small side are superior only if you are going to use its StarOptions every year. If you would be using it in Interval, SDO will get you the same trades for a fraction of the cost.

So I am thinking that for my specific case where I am not looking for a rental stream .... only staroptions or to use as an II trader that the 1 bedroom at Bella is the sweet spot. I just paid $395 for a 1 bedroom annual (44,000 points) ... the maintenance fees are $576. Those 44,000 points in WKV maintenance cost would be $396. Considering the upfront cost of acquisition between $3K and $5K (call it $4K) the breakeven point for the two units is 18 years. And every year I use it as a trader in II extends the breakpoint another year.

Also ... the minimal extra cost in maintenance fees ($25) versus SDO with the flexibility of the possible use of staroptions (combining with my 81,000 to go to Hawaii) makes it a winner.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
So I am thinking that for my specific case where I am not looking for a rental stream .... only staroptions or to use as an II trader that the 1 bedroom at Bella is the sweet spot. I just paid $395 for a 1 bedroom annual (44,000 points) ... the maintenance fees are $576. Those 44,000 points in WKV maintenance cost would be $396. Considering the upfront cost of acquisition between $3K and $5K (call it $4K) the breakeven point for the two units is 18 years. And every year I use it as a trader in II extends the breakpoint another year.

Also ... the minimal extra cost in maintenance fees ($25) versus SDO with the flexibility of the possible use of staroptions (combining with my 81,000 to go to Hawaii) makes it a winner.

The only downside to owning in Orlando is the uncertainty in selling the unit, when you’re ready to do so. That said, Bella should be much easier to sell than others in Orlando because it has the staroptions. I think it’s a good decision, assuming 44k is sufficient for use within the network (which would not be for me).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only downside to owning in Orlando is the uncertainty in selling the unit, when you’re ready to do so. That said, Bella should be much easier to sell than others in Orlando because it has the staroptions. I think it’s a good decision, assuming 44k is sufficient for use within the network (which would not be for me).

44,000 is enough for a 1 bedroom in Cancun which is a nice option from Charlotte

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
44,000 is enough for a 1 bedroom in Cancun which is a nice option from Charlotte

That there are nice options with just 44,000 is not the question. It’s not enough for my needs. I won’t go to back to Cancun, for example.

Most who buy end up needing more than they originally thought. I’m very glad I took my time and bought a 148k week rather than a smaller unit.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
That there are nice options with just 44,000 is not the question. It’s not enough for my needs. I won’t go to back to Cancun, for example.

Most who buy end up needing more than they originally thought. I’m very glad I took my time and bought a 148k week rather than a smaller unit.

With the latest additions I am up 290,500

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
With the latest additions I am up 290,500

For some reason I thought the OP had none, so thought my first purchase experience was relevant. But never mind, let’s change focus... so if I was going to add another deed, I doubt I’d add a small 44k week since a) I would never use it in Orlando, b) I would certainly not use it in Cancun, c) it won’t go far in Hawaii, which is where I would use it, and d) I’d rather have another WKV. :)

mikkey12601

Reaction score
I am one of the lucky ones who was able to pick up at Kierland, Platinum, two-bedroom lock off for $12,000. I had “stalked” this property for quite a while and my research led me to believe that the average selling price was approximately $15,000, with a general range of $14,000 - $16,000. It is possible that the prices have come down a bit, but I think $14,000 is much more in the ballpark than $12,000. Just my two cents.
I feel like the prices have come down a bit, and I am not sure why (MF increase a few percent?) Currently on redweek there are two listings for 2 bedroom LO, platinum plus for $10,500 and $12,000

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I feel like the prices have come down a bit, and I am not sure why (MF increase a few percent?) Currently on redweek there are two listings for 2 bedroom LO, platinum plus for $10,500 and $12,000

I saw those also. I suspect the $10.5K listing is a desperation seller; I would jump on that quick.

The $12.5K is a broker who prices to sell quickly; we have seen him multiple times in the past.

Once these are gone (and they will go fast), the listing prices will revert to where they were.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score

I believe the $10.5k listing is pending as I had made an offer and that was the response

djohn06

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Hilton Head, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk and AKV
Vistana SBP and SVV
Harborside
WKV & WKORN
Bluegreen Harbor Lights
Wyndam Waikiki Beachwalk
Wyndam Great Smokey Mountains
Quarterhouse New Orleans
Laguna Surf
Marriott Monarch
Not the same as what the OP was Looking for but this is a good comparison.

I was patiently looking a for a good deal on a WKV platinum 1 bedroom (81k SO yearly) summer of 2018. By good deal I was hoping to pay 5k max. In the process of looking for an annual, I purchased an even year 81k SO for $2,250, and a small WKV 1 bedroom 67k SO platinum odd year for $2,150. I already had 2 other SVV contracts so these 2 had no impact on the $195 club fee.

So I kind of got what I wanted.

Last edited:

djohn06

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana SBP and SVV
Harborside
WKV & WKORN
Bluegreen Harbor Lights
Wyndam Waikiki Beachwalk
Quarterhouse New Orleans
Laguna Surf
Marriott Monarch

For those not interested in renting, this is a good strategy. I did not realize Bella had such a low maint fee on a 1 bedroom. I could buy two of them to get above 81k and that would put the maint fee at $1,152. Not bad.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those not interested in renting, this is a good strategy. I did not realize Bella had such a low maint fee on a 1 bedroom. I could buy two of them to get above 81k and that would put the maint fee at $1,152. Not bad.

The Bella 1 bedroom is such a winner I just bought another odd and even Bella 1bed platinum for $195 each. I am not interested in waiting 18 years for the WKV to be a better option.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The Bella 1 bedroom is such a winner I just bought another odd and even Bella 1bed platinum for $195 each. I am not interested in waiting 18 years for the WKV to be a better option.

Bella deed for $195 would be a great buy.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
18 years?
I bought WKV resale in 2007 for $10K that is now worth ~$7K (~$3K loss)

However, since 2007, I have rented for an average profit of ~$1200 per year (~$14K over 12 years).

$14,000 - $3000 = $11,000 gain
since 2007, and still have the WKV villa worth ~$7K if I were to sell (nope...).

Renting the Plat+ WKV villa has been relatively easy. In fact, currently I get contacted to rent these out from StayPC well in advance (a very smooth transaction).

This is a huge advantage of WKV over SVV-Bella. The only downside is the upfront cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Our experience is similar to David's. We bought a WKV 1bd Plat+ several years ago for $7,250. We have rented it every year except one (exchanged into WKORV); our overall rental profit is >$8K.

We bought this interval to use, but renting has been so profitable -- and we have too many units anyway -- that this secondary use has been useful, to say the least. We average a 18% ROI on our $7,250 "investment".

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
18 years?
I bought WKV resale in 2007 for $10K that is now worth ~$7K (~$3K loss)

However, since 2007, I have rented for an average profit of ~$1200 per year (~$14K over 12 years).

$14,000 - $3000 = $11,000 gain
since 2007, and still have the WKV villa worth ~$7K if I were to sell (nope...).

Renting the Plat+ WKV villa has been relatively easy. In fact, currently I get contacted to rent these out from StayPC well in advance (a very smooth transaction).

This is a huge advantage of WKV over SVV-Bella. The only downside is the upfront cost.

The math was only regarding the staroption/MF ratio not as a rental stream:

I just paid $395 for a Bella 1 bedroom annual (44,000 points) ... the maintenance fees are $576. Those 44,000 points in WKV maintenance cost would be $396. Considering the upfront cost of acquisition between $3K and $5K (call it $4K) the breakeven point for the two units is 18 years. And every year I use it as a trader in II extends the breakpoint another year.

For 44,000 points the SVV annual cost is $180 more expensive than what those same points would be at WKV. If it costs me $4000 to buy versus $395 then it would take me 20 years to make up that cost .... $3605/$180 = 20.03 years.

Now as a straight rental property ... I might need to consider that

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
I saw those also. I suspect the $10.5K listing is a desperation seller; I would jump on that quick.

The $12.5K is a broker who prices to sell quickly; we have seen him multiple times in the past.

Once these are gone (and they will go fast), the listing prices will revert to where they were.
Once the buy backs get more aggressive prices will increase

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The math was only regarding the staroption/MF ratio not as a rental stream:

I just paid $395 for a Bella 1 bedroom annual (44,000 points) ... the maintenance fees are $576. Those 44,000 points in WKV maintenance cost would be $396. Considering the upfront cost of acquisition between $3K and $5K (call it $4K) the breakeven point for the two units is 18 years. And every year I use it as a trader in II extends the breakpoint another year.

For 44,000 points the SVV annual cost is $180 more expensive than what those same points would be at WKV. If it costs me $4000 to buy versus $395 then it would take me 20 years to make up that cost .... $3605/$180 = 20.03 years.

Now as a straight rental property ... I might need to consider that

I understood that part of math - but all aspects should be considered because just purchase cost recapture and MFs is an incomplete valuation (as shown by also looking at ease of renting, and rent over MFs) as these aspects are quite important. This goes to the upfront and long-term costs as well.

And it goes beyond Rentability -another important one is Location (Buy where you would want to go).
For us - WKV covers this aspect as it is an excellent resort on it’s own, and we can drive there if needed (e.g. VSN is dissolved, Renting is not feasible anymore, etc.).

Number of VOIs (SOs) also plays a roll. Not dissimilar to the value of SPs (BonVoy Points) based on the number already owned. The value of SOs is tied to the need and ability to use those SOs.

Also, disposable income plays a roll. Less disposable income would support Bella over WKV.

Certainly not a ‘One Size fits All’ scenario.

I am not saying WKV is better than Bella - just that the extrapolation out to the future years based on a single factor that has uncertainty and high potential for variability is too one-dimensional.

Adding the Rental factor substantially deceases those differences causes the cost-recapture valuation calculation to collapse (as discussed).

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Bella deed for $195 would be a great buy.

For an EOY 1BR, it is about the going price. I paid $199 (closing costs only) for a Key West 1BR EOY a few years ago off the Bargain Deals forum.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
For an EOY 1BR, it is about the going price. I paid $199 (closing costs only) for a Key West 1BR EOY a few years ago off the Bargain Deals forum.

I thought he found an annual for $195. Was it EOY?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I thought he found an annual for $195. Was it EOY?

It seems it was two EOY, for $195 each.

djohn06

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana SBP and SVV
Harborside
WKV & WKORN
Bluegreen Harbor Lights
Wyndam Waikiki Beachwalk
Quarterhouse New Orleans
Laguna Surf
Marriott Monarch
Just received acceptance on an even year Kierland 67k platinum small one bedroom for $2,400.

Sell pays all closing and transfer fees. No reimbursement on maint fees for 2019 either.

After 2 rentals I will definitely recoup the $2,400 I spent purchasing it.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Just received acceptance on an even year Kierland 67k platinum small one bedroom for $2,400.

Sell pays all closing and transfer fees. No reimbursement on maint fees for 2019 either.

After 2 rentals I will definitely recoup the $2,400 I spent purchasing it.

Great deal! Where’d you find it?