• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORV North - Ocean Front -- How good was your view?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We are thinking about purchasing WKORVN-OF. As many of you have pointed out, some units categorized as ocean front should not have been -- such as the units in Building 5 on the ground floor behind the restaurant, units 8x01, and probably others. Our concern is that we would pay for ocean front but be assigned one of these lesser units.

So, our question of WKORVN-OF owners is when you reserved at the 12 month mark, have you always been assigned an excellent unit or did you ever get a not-so-good unit? Also, how far in advance did you make your reservations when you were assigned less-than-excellent units?

Our alternative would be to buy another WKORV-OF (center) unit. But there are things we like better at North, and we would like to pursue that unless we have reason to the contrary.

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
We go the first two weeks in Feb., which is a fairly slow time. Have always been in Building 8 (which we request) and on 3rd or higher floor.

Greg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Frankly, the OF view at WKORV is so far superior to the OF view at WKORVN, that it is a no brainer for me. The WKORV OF units are full ocean front - square to the ocean. OF, could mean "ocean glimpse" at WKORVN.

Last edited:

work2travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called my reservation in at the 12 month mark but not at 5am PST. We got to stay at 5403/04 (July 2008) and 8509/10 ( August 2009). Both lock-offs have angled balconies with incredible, sweeping, ocean front views.! Can't wait to go back.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
After I bought at north, I was very dismayed to find out how WKORV-N classified "ocean front." However, for all my worries, I've gotten great views:
5603/04 and 5201. Of course, I called 12 months out. I'm not sure if dropping one side at the last minute or not booking the entire 2 bdrm villa negatively affected my view the 2nd time (as I was one villa back from the front and the 2nd floor vs. 6th floor facing the ocean), but I have to admit it was still a very nice view.

OF center villas are definitely sweet views, and owning one would remove all the uncertainty of what you're going to get. There's something to be said for that.

That being said, you might have more luck negotiating a great deal if you could open up your options to a general OF designation on either side. Even though there are some better OF units than others, I'd personally be happy in any of the OF rooms (except perhaps the first floor). The view is better from the top floor, but the lower floor had its benefits because I didn't have to climb 6 flights of stairs each time I returned to my room.

So, if I were you, I'd contact lots of OF owners from both sides on various sites (Redweek, MyResortNetwork, SellMyTimeshareNow) and ask if they are willing to negotiate on price. That's what I did when I decided to buy and I ended up paying what one real estate agent called an "unheard of" bargain.

Good luck!

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
vacationtime1 -

Good luck. Keep me posted on your search. I'm on hold with my OFC trade...the seller is going to wait until MF bills are out.

MON2REY

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed in our OF villa each of the past three years and have always called at exactly 12 months out. In March '08 we took the entire unit since we had friends from Australia with us. We got units 5415/16 and were very disappointed because we were the farthest from the beach, the trees at the time blocked our view and the studio was next to the stairway so the doors banged at night. In May '09 we split the unit and stayed two weeks. We got units 5605/06 which were outstanding. This year in May we requested a low (first) floor since we were having our grandbaby, son and pregnant DIL with us. We were given 5107/08 which, when they told us the room numbers, we were pleased. However, when we got to the rooms we saw that they had put a tent-type roof over the restaurant BBQ area which nearly totally blocked our view. I asked to be moved and, after several minutes of research, was told that there were other better view rooms available but not together; most were splitting the lockoffs. We decided to stay where we were; the villa was very convenient to the pools and beach, just not much of a view. In 2011 we're going for two weeks in January. We'll see what we get.

Carmen0470

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to say that view obviously is important. and Ocean front or view is better, but in my case, with 2 elementary age children, I also requested first floor in Building 5, I can't remember exactly the number but i think it was 5108, and 5109, I was the second one from the end. If i would've been one more down, I wouldve had one more down, then i would've had the restaurant. For us, it worked out great. we only used the lanai to get in and out of apartment, when the girls wanted to go to the pool first, i was able to sit in my lanai and watch them before sitting in the hot sun, by the pool.
If we walked through the halls, it took forever and a day. I would walk out of my lanai every am, and walk straight to the beach and walk. I have beautiful sunset view pics from my lanai. At least for me, was perfect, on the first floor.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Go to this post:
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=937584&postcount=11

for photos of our views from our Building 8, 3rd floor room in Feb. of 2010. Since then, it appears that they have trimmed back the trees even more.

Greg

Greg--

Your photos are still accurate (or were as of two days ago when we checked out of WKORV). The trees are trimmed in front of WKORV and WKORVN which opens up the view considerably; the trimming ends as of the north lot line of WKORVN.