TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Wiring money for rental?

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling & Renting Timeshares' started by Fishcoley, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Fishcoley

Fishcoley Guest

I have read posts that Western Union transfers are a big risk in renting. Just wondering if this is an opinion or the norm.

Do any of you request direct bank transfers?

Here is what the renter explained to me....

“ I'm sorry, I do not use paypal. I have been receiving payment through bank and there has not been any problem. I understand your concern but you dont have to be weary, that is why I sent my original reservation confirmation to you so that you can verify my legitimacy. Tug do suggest paypal if the renter could not verify the reservation or when the owner could not provide the confirmation letter for the week.”

2. grab

grab TUG Member

Not knowing the renter in question I would be weary. Maybe it would be ok but probably not worth the risk.

I do accept Zelle transfers and will pay that way if I know who I am dealing with but almost everybody pays me via PayPal.

I had one person request payment for a purchase by me depositing money in their bank account. It might have been legit but I didn’t risk it.

Do you have a contract in addition to the confirmation? Any insight to who the person is?

TUGBrian likes this.
  3. tschwa2

tschwa2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    Bank transfers give zero protection for the person renting. The same would apply to Western Union. There is no way to prove that the person that you are talking to is the owner even if they can produce the original reservation unless they are also providing a copy of their ID and even that they might obtain through identity theft. I would offer to pay an additional 4% to cover the paypal fees but for anything over $200 or some amount that I would be comfortable risky if it were a good deal, I would not pay through bank transfer. I have accepted bank transfers through google pay and Zelle but I would never insist on it from someone renting from me.

TUGBrian likes this.
  4. breezez

breezez TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark 39K
    Wyndham 406K
    RCI Points 196K
    I would never wire money, I would agree to pay by PayPal, initially a deposit say $100-$150 and pay remaining balance once they send reservation to me in my name. This provides them funds for guest certificate fee and protects bulk of your funds till you see reservation. You also have Paypal and Credit Card Protection this way.

Wire, once you hit send it’s gone, and you have little recourse if it was a scam.

Steve Fatula and TUGBrian like this.
  5. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

TUGBrian likes this.
  6. Fishcoley

Fishcoley Guest

Thank you all! Not one person thinks this is an okay option so far. Thanks.

I do have a contract, original reservation and have called to confirm the reservation and his ownership. All looks great. Obviously, I’m here though so I must not feel confident about it. I can find zero presence of this person online or social media and the wire is to his “accountant” under another name. I’m justifying this because maybe he is mature of age and doesn’t have an online presence. I won’t do it......

TUGBrian likes this.
  7. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Zelle and other types of services don't offer much more protection against fraud either. They are not much different than wiring money. There is no buyer protection with Zelle.
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/16/z...-out-the-hard-way-theres-no-fraud-protection/

It also doesn't look look like you can "technically" use PayPal for the sale or rental of timeshare intervals. This is only from the FAQ, nothing in their T&C stipulate anything about timeshare purchase or rentals.
    https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp...cy-regarding-the-sale-of-real-property-faq799

Using a credit card with PayPal is a good option, as you can fall back on the credit card protections in the event of an issue where the renter does not deliver what was promised.

TUGBrian and Fishcoley like this.
  8. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

This is a huge red flag: the wire is to his “accountant” under another name.

hudshut, Free2Roam, theo and 3 others like this.
  9. sue1947

sue1947 TUG Member

Also, the misuse of the word "weary" instead of the correct "wary". Wouldn't touch this one with a ten foot pole.

Anne&Jim, klpca and TUGBrian like this.
  10. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    My guess is that many well educated Americans misuse this word. Just like if the renter said "don't worry, you won't loose your money".

Of course, I wouldn't proceed either.

TUGBrian likes this.
  11. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
    Lots of typos/grammar issues:
    - wire to accountant
    - "I have been receiving payment through ____ bank" (lack of or misplaced articles (the) is typical for non-native English speakers/writers)
    - "Tug do suggest paypal if the renter could not verify"

My opinion is don't do it.

12. echino

echino TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Piñon Pointe,
    Harborside Resort at Atlantis
    I am not a native English speaker, and I had my fair share of potential renters responding to my ads run away when they learn my "scary" real name.

Any timeshare sale or rental transaction involves some trust on both sides as it's impossible to completely eliminate risk for everyone.

Fishcoley likes this.
  13. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

I would decline this opportunity, because of the numerous red flags. Ultimately if you send someone cash via wire you have no recourse if they scam you.

14. Fishcoley

Fishcoley Guest

Thank you for your sage advice. I called the seller and after a discussion, he agreed to setup a PayPal account to proceed. Whew!!! I offered to pay a little more to cover fees. Thanks for this reccomendation.
    With his willingness to modify payment method, wouldn’t this be a moderately safe transaction even with the grammar issues & accountant?? Does that change the other flags? The contract also stated that the $$ would be paid to his accountant/trust and the reservation is under his trust name as well.
    Thanks for your patience & guidance with this today!

15. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    There has to be other similar rentals available out there?

16. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
    Just to clarify, did the renter originally want Western Union?

17. Fishcoley

Fishcoley Guest

He gave me his bank name, account and routing number to transfer funds to.

18. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

so many red flags on this...even with paypal you are still at such high risk of this being a scam given all the red flags above.

there is no way I would have gone forward with this rental transaction. it is almost certainly a scam.

Steve Fatula likes this.
  19. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

didnt you mention above he didnt even give you that...but instead wanted you to wire the money to a 3rd party?

the red flags just dont get any redder than this.

20. theo

theo TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Just curious if the infamous "Samuel Kaplan" has returned as the alleged third party "accountant". :ponder:
    Run (don't just walk) away from this transaction.

Jan M. likes this.
  21. Jan M.

Jan M. TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
    RCI Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach
    I wouldn't consider renting from anyone who refused to take payment through PayPal.

When paying someone for something through PayPal always pay with a credit card linked to your PayPal account, not your balance, your bank account nor your debit card. Paying with a credit card linked to your account gives you an additional layer of protection in addition to PayPal. People here on TUG have said that PayPal won't stand behind timeshare rentals. I know for a fact through personal experience that they don't have a choice when you file a dispute with your credit card company.

TUGBrian likes this.
  22. heathpack

heathpack Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt High Sierra
    Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
    Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
    Sheraton Broadway Plantation
    Or “leery”.

TUGBrian likes this.
  23. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

I recommend that you share the owner's name and email address here - we may recognize it.

TUGBrian likes this.
  24. Fishcoley

Fishcoley Guest

Well folks...you sniffed this one out. The PayPal link he gave me(he didn’t set one up himself after all) is to yet a “different” 3rd party. Upon searching her name, there are reports of vacation scams with her as a partner in it. Where can I “out” this duo?

25. Fishcoley

Fishcoley Guest

Bo Jun, Tug listing 201634
    Email: home4rrest1@gmail.com
    Accomplices: Mavis Chaote(accountant), Donna Waddell(trusted friend with PayPal account)
    Update: Was able to identify a real person with this name and called him. He is the actual timeshare owner and this person online is impersonating him.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018