• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Williamsburg in April - Which location? What points to see?

shawnielauer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra Lodge
We are traveling in late April out to Baltimore for a wedding and thought to take in Williamsburg for a week while there. There a few helpful threads about Williamsburg choices regarding Wydham resorts (folks recommend Govenor's Green out of the three), but that does not seem to be a choice through II for my dates. My current choices are:
Kings Creek Plantation
Marriott Manor Club Fords Colony
The Colonies @ Williamsburg
Estates of Kings Creek
Townes @ Kings Creek
Williamsburg Plantation

We have one 13 year old (homeschooled) and want to give him the historic experience of Jamestown & Williamsburg. He also loves lazy rivers and great kid-frieindly pools, but not sure what is open or available in April there.

Any help about resort choices and things to choose within a week's time would be appreciated.

Thanks much!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Years ago we stayed at Powhatan Plantation in April, so can't help you with the resorts you listed. The resort was very nice.

Our son loved Williamsburg. We did the ghost tour also. And he really was fascinated with the Jamestown dig that was going on at the time.

We hit Busch Gardens for a day and that was fun and we also took a trip down to Virginia Beach and walked the boardwalk.

hjsweet2002

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never have been to those places. We stay at Governor Green for Feb School Break. The historical triangle is great. You can get tickets T the Visitor Center. Historical Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown are great to visit. Enjoy your trip

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at King's Creek in May. It was entirely suitable. I don't remember a lazy river- and it may be a bit early for the outdoor pools. Colonial Williamsburg is just made for kids in that 11-13 age area, with the live reinactors that kids can talk to in 17th Century character. Kids will also enjoy Jamestown with it's active archaeology going on. Yorktown may or may not make the final battles of the Revolution come alive, and if he gets too overloaded with history, there is Busch Garden with it's multiple roller coasters a short distance away. In the weeks and days prior to your visit, go to www.history.org and see the daily schedule of activities, and outline what you may want to see and participate in. Don't miss the talks by Thomas Jefferson or Patrick Henry.

Jim

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Lots to see and do in the history-rich Williamsburg area.

Let me add: Jefferson's Monticello and the campus of the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. UVA and the College of William and Mary (in Wmsburg) are two of the top public universities in the country and may be of interest to your young scholar. In the other direction, Norfolk's waterfront and US Naval Station are worth visiting. Virginia Beach is another half hour beyond Norfolk.

Since you know your dates, post a Wish ad on www.tug2.com.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
While you have probably already considered this, be sure to look at the daily activity fees charged at the locations you mentioned in the OP. I mention this because my first experience with mandatory activity fees was at one of the Williamsburg resorts (I can't remember which one). If all other factors are close, a location without an activity fee might tip the scales to one location or another.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
While you have probably already considered this, be sure to look at the daily activity fees charged at the locations you mentioned in the OP. I mention this because my first experience with mandatory activity fees was at one of the Williamsburg resorts (I can't remember which one). If all other factors are close, a location without an activity fee might tip the scales to one location or another.

Wyndham Kingsgate has a mandatory "amenities fee" or something like that. It supposedly covers the cost of the game room, a lot of arcade-type video games. I'm not sure what the fee is. It was $6/day but may have gone up.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Wyndham Kingsgate has a mandatory "amenities fee" or something like that. It supposedly covers the cost of the game room, a lot of arcade-type video games. I'm not sure what the fee is. It was $6/day but may have gone up.

That is the resort we stayed at - I just looked back at my previous reviews and found that as well.
I was able to get the resort to waive the fee since we were there for a military graduation but that may have just been my lucky day.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I believe the Colonies have a small lazy river but it is outdoor and will not be open that time of year. Williamsburg indoor pools are nothing special at any of the resorts. Again the Colonies have a slight edge but only very slight. They do (along with Williamburg Plantation) charge a weekly resort fee. It is either $25 or $50. Marriott Manor Club is going to have the nicest units especially if you get a dedicated 2 BR in the original section. They also have a nice schedule of year round activities most of which are free.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Busch Gardens is open on weekends in April. A little early for Water Country, which is next door. Colonial Williamsburg is worth a full day of your time. The Cheese Shoppe is a good spot for a lunch break, but it can be crowded - even off-season. Jamestown is actually 2 different attractions: Jamestown Settlement is a living history museum which was created by the state of Virginia. A lot of exhibits indoors, and 3 main areas to tour (by the James River) outdoors. Jamestown Settlement is the actual location of the archaeological dig that is continuing to discover the real history of the first settlers. It is a NPS site, and has reconstructed buildings in the setting that the settlers lived. Two separate attractions with 2 separate admissions. Yorktown Battlefield is at the other end of the Colonial Parkway, which runs from Jamestown, underneath Williamsburg, to Yorktown. The ranger tour at Yorktown is amazing. It gives true life as to how the Americans outfoxed and outgunned a superior British force. The beginning of the end of the Revolutionary War. In addition to the Battlefield tour, there is the Yorktown Victory Center (brand new) which chronicles the entire Revolutionary War, and many of the important battle locations. If you want to expose your young one to a academic setting, The College of William & Mary is on the border of Colonial Williamsburg. Our daughter went there, and now works there - and loves it.

Norfolk or Virginia Beach? If you don't like traffic, I would go west to a plantation or Monticello. I-64 is under construction and much of it is an ongoing mess. Plus you have the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, which can be backed up for hours. Not my cup of tea....

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Busch Gardens is open on weekends in April. A little early for Water Country, which is next door. Colonial Williamsburg is worth a full day of your time. The Cheese Shoppe is a good spot for a lunch break, but it can be crowded - even off-season. Jamestown is actually 2 different attractions: Jamestown Settlement is a living history museum which was created by the state of Virginia. A lot of exhibits indoors, and 3 main areas to tour (by the James River) outdoors. Jamestown Settlement is the actual location of the archaeological dig that is continuing to discover the real history of the first settlers. It is a NPS site, and has reconstructed buildings in the setting that the settlers lived. Two separate attractions with 2 separate admissions. Yorktown Battlefield is at the other end of the Colonial Parkway, which runs from Jamestown, underneath Williamsburg, to Yorktown. The ranger tour at Yorktown is amazing. It gives true life as to how the Americans outfoxed and outgunned a superior British force. The beginning of the end of the Revolutionary War. In addition to the Battlefield tour, there is the Yorktown Victory Center (brand new) which chronicles the entire Revolutionary War, and many of the important battle locations. If you want to expose your young one to a academic setting, The College of William & Mary is on the border of Colonial Williamsburg. Our daughter went there, and now works there - and loves it.

Norfolk or Virginia Beach? If you don't like traffic, I would go west to a plantation or Monticello. I-64 is under construction and much of it is an ongoing mess. Plus you have the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, which can be backed up for hours. Not my cup of tea....

I remember when the HR Bridge Tunnel was a single tube -- one lane each way. Didn't take much to clog things big time!

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, I helped my daughter and family move from Virginia Beach to Williamsburg three years ago. Five trips in an Odyssey with 250K miles on it. Couldn't use the A/C - in July. I hate that road. Always backed up.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, I helped my daughter and family move from Virginia Beach to Williamsburg three years ago. Five trips in an Odyssey with 250K miles on it. Couldn't use the A/C - in July. I hate that road. Always backed up.
There is a time for renting a U-Haul. This is one of them.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW, my son-in-law's father had a good size trailer. After his first trip, he said he was not going back to VB. That left the burden on someone who gave a crap. Hence, 4 more trips. The major items were moved by a moving company that my daughter knew - for free. At 69 y/o - I think I know what I am doing......

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott Manor Club right now 11-04.2018, does charge an activity fee.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've stayed numerous times at the Marriott Fords Colony, and also in late April. I would highly recommend it.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a Cottage at King's Creek, and I think it's very nice, although we haven't been there for a few years. It's a little detached house. If you can get a 3br there, that's great--it's a 2br/1br lockoff. The 1brs are very small, but if you have the whole house, it works out well if you have kids or parents with you. The other King's Creek units I've seen are also quite large and comfortable. The indoor pool is supposed to be one of the best in Williamsburg. It's big!

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott Manor Club at Fords Colony is one of the nicest timeshares we’ve stayed in. Units are huge and beautiful. We’ve also stayed at all the Wyndhams in Williamsburg...they are OK, but none are nearly as nice as the Marriott ( and I’m a Wyndham owner! )

Reactions: jme

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Marriott's Manor Club at Ford's Colony is the class of the resorts in the area. In fact, it's one of the nicest and most beautiful of all of Marriott's properties. We've stayed there twice (even decided to buy there) and also at three other area timeshares (renting), but Manor Club is far and away the best.
I'd also highly recommend driving to Monticello---it's one of this nation's top attractions-----amazing and unforgettable. We go every time we're in Williamsburg because its so great. Also like visiting Shirley and Berkeley plantations....a nice ride through the countryside, and both quite historic. Water Country and Busch Gardens are always fun, if open.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a Cottage at King's Creek, and I think it's very nice, although we haven't been there for a few years. It's a little detached house. If you can get a 3br there, that's great--it's a 2br/1br lockoff. The 1brs are very small, but if you have the whole house, it works out well if you have kids or parents with you. The other King's Creek units I've seen are also quite large and comfortable. The indoor pool is supposed to be one of the best in Williamsburg. It's big!

I just love Kings Creek, my favorite non Marriott. Not because it's terribly fancy, more because much of it (cottages and Estates) look like you are in a housing subdivision. I just like that feeling. The indoor pool is pretty big, hot tubs are pretty hot, and I just like that area. Right next door to the water park, not a bad location. We intend to go every year or two. Last trip, we had 2 others staying with us (friends) from the area, and, we all had our own bedrooms. I've only done the Estates, but, cottages are on my list. Does the 2BR side really connect to the 1BR side with an internal lockoff style door?

Reactions: jme

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I just love Kings Creek, my favorite non Marriott. Not because it's terribly fancy, more because much of it (cottages and Estates) look like you are in a housing subdivision. I just like that feeling. The indoor pool is pretty big, hot tubs are pretty hot, and I just like that area. Right next door to the water park, not a bad location. We intend to go every year or two. Last trip, we had 2 others staying with us (friends) from the area, and, we all had our own bedrooms. I've only done the Estates, but, cottages are on my list. Does the 2BR side really connect to the 1BR side with an internal lockoff style door?

Favorite is Marriott Manor Club....there's nothing like it.

However, I do have to wholeheartedly agree with Steve here about King's Creek....we stayed there twice on rentals within the last 7-8 years, and I love the layout of the property and the layout of the units. I especially love the extra little room off the master suite....
sort of a sitting room with TV and sofa, and it connects to the master BR by double French doors....really beautiful, and a great room to watch TV quietly if your spouse is, for instance, reading a book elsewhere. No other resort has a perk like that, and I keep thinking about that room a lot.

We went in Fall, and the resort had lots of beautiful maple trees and other hardwoods, and they were gorgeous. All of Williamsburg is beautiful in Fall, but King's Creek is especially nice. We would stay there every time if last-minute and Manor Club was full.

As for things to do, a lot will be listed here by TUG members, and wherever you stay (it doesn't matter regarding activities and sights), do these things. One of our favorites is visiting Monticello in Charlottesville...a 2 hour drive from Williamsburg, but an experience of a lifetime and well worth the effort. It can be done in a half day. In summer, Busch Gardens and Water Country are great. Shirley and Berkeley Plantations are awesome to visit anytime, especially in Fall, and the drives are fairly short......both very historic. Colonial Williamsburg is a must.....the Jamestown site is interesting historically, but rather boring to see, imho.

Shopping is great in Williamsburg.....the Outlet Mall is average, but "New Town" is awesome....a very short drive from Colonial Williamsburg. Lots of great shops, restaurants, and a nice movie theater.

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

Wow, so glad you like it! We love Williamsburg. Yes, the Cottages all have an internal door that connects the 2br side to the 1br side. When we got it, we thought we might take my MIL on vacation with us sometime. But she didn't want to go, so when our kids got older, we got the 1br side and they got the big 2br side. It's great for families!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, so glad you like it! We love Williamsburg. Yes, the Cottages all have an internal door that connects the 2br side to the 1br side. When we got it, we thought we might take my MIL on vacation with us sometime. But she didn't want to go, so when our kids got older, we got the 1br side and they got the big 2br side. It's great for families!

Maybe you can answer me this then - On the 1BR side, is there a hottub or anything like it? How 'bout on the 2BR side? How many baths? Have you stayed in the estates, and if so, how do they compare?

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can answer me this then - On the 1BR side, is there a hottub or anything like it? How 'bout on the 2BR side? How many baths? Have you stayed in the estates, and if so, how do they compare?

The 1br sides are really small. I don't remember anything fancy or extra about them except that I think the bedroom has a king bed. Bathroom is just an ordinary bathroom. The living room is combined with the kitchen on the 1br side...it's pretty miserable, which is why it's nice to be able to go over to the 2br side and sit in a real living room and cook in a real kitchen.

I haven't stayed at the Estates...I think we toured the Townes when they were being built. One of them has an extra little TV room in the 2brs that can serve as an extra small bedroom in a pinch. I remember the Townes looking even nicer than the Cottages!