• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wife taking over Wyndham timeshare points from Mother in Law

Rigger

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham at Waikiki Beach walk
Hello all:

This is my first post, although I have been using the TUG resources in researching this timeshare company. MIL owns 156,000 points at Wyndham at Waikiki Beach Walk. This gives her a one bedroom for one week during weeks 1-4, 35-39, and 44-50. We are in the process of transferring to my wife and her sister.

156,000 points were deposited April 1, 2019 and I would like to use them for a week at the home resort this fall or next winter. I understand that we can book up to 13 months in advance but I am confused as I would like to take advantage of early booking at that resort. 13 months from now extends this into 2020. But the points expire April 1, 2020, unless deposited in RCI. Are we too late to book using these points during the 13 to 10 month advance period? Or do we use up the points in 2019 when we book 13 months in advance, which now appears to be only for weeks 1 - 4 of 2020? How does that work for the fall of 2019? Do we have any priority now? And is it important to book exactly on the 13 month day prior to the booking date? Is there a mad booking rush at that time?

I would really appreciate some help with this.

Thanks;
Rigger

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have priority for the period 13 -10 mths before the weeks you are able to book at full value to viz. 1-4, 35-39, and 44-50. You need the points in the account to be able to take advantage of the advance booking. Wyndham shows points in the account for use in the current and the the following two use years. Points are used in the period that coincides for the period of the reservation. ie. reservation in fall of 2020 will use points from the use year the reservation falls in. If your points are by use year April 2020 - March 2021 and the reservation is in Oct 2020 then the use year April 2020 -March 2021 points will be used for the reservation.

Since this would be your first experience booking and it seems important to you I would do any future reservations as close to the 13 month advance reservation period as possible until you get a feeling for how availability falls.

For any reservations in 2019 and early 2020 any priority periods would not apply, you could check availability though and have your MIL book with a guest certificate if there are times available and those are what you want. There seems to be availability from Jan 2020 until June 2020 now.

Last edited:

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The ARP window is currently open for 3/17-6/17 in 2020. You only have about two weeks left to use your points that expire 3/31/20 for ARP. However, they can still be used for SRP and ERP until that date. You have the option of depositing unused points to a future year, but these points lose ARP benefits (plus the deadline to deposit them forward varies by your VIP status).

Points need to be booked within the time that they are valid, but you don’t need to wait for your use year to begin to book them. Wyndham typically deposits points to your account for use 2 years prior to their validity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
For most dates, you don't need priority to book Waikiki Beach Walk or other Wyndham Hawaiian resorts. At 10 months or less there can be good availability.

The problem is that it takes more points to book a full week in other time periods, but you could book six days.

For example, currently Sunday February 16 - Saturday February 22 is available for 141,000 points.

We have stayed at Wyndham Royal Gardens three times for weeks 13 or 14 where it's considered high season and the weekly rate is 154,000 points. It's a studio with no stove-top cooking, but we do get a requested nice lanai on the east side with canal and distant ocean views and a nice tropical pool area. There is good availability there.

Last edited:

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
I think there is some construction at beach walk. The Wyndham website should indicate the dates. You might want to chose another property if construction is going on when you want to travel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rigger

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you everyone. So for next year's points which deposit April 1 2020 when should we book the home resort for the January 2021 dates (weeks 1-4)? Can we book before the points deposit? Which should cost the 154,000 points we would receive (sorry I was wrong above - its 154,000 points). (The construction should end August 2019 but thanks for the heads up).

A feature that I find annoying is trying to search for a full week. When you click on a date that indicates "limited availability" you only have a choice of one or two more days to check out. Does this mean there are limited units available or that there are limited dates (i.e. less than a week). Is there a way to search such that you get results only for the full weeks available at a specific resort, for a unit type? Or the number of days that match your available points? Without choosing a specific start day? Or perhaps only show start dates that could give you a full week if chosen.

Thanks;
Rigger

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
December 2019 for January 2021.
Your points deposit has to be made in the first 3 months of your use year for non VIPs
When searching the system it is only letting you go out 2-3 days because thats all that is currently available for a continuous stay on one reservation. It will light up to 14 straight days if all 14 are available.
I think your asking for to much on your search questions but somebody might be able to help.
If you look at February for Waikiki it was wide open the other day when I checked. Go to February & play around with it a little to see what you can do

Rigger

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Braindead. So for a January 2021 booking which points would apply? Would it be the points from Wyndmark of April 2020? or 2019 (i.e. the current points)?

Rigger

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Braindead. So for a January 2021 booking which points would apply? Would it be the points from Wyndham of April 2020? or 2019 (i.e. the current points)?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Braindead. So for a January 2021 booking which points would apply? Would it be the points from Wyndmark of April 2020? or 2019 (i.e. the current points)?
With April 1, 2020 for the start of the use year & ending March 31, 2021
Use year is based on the ending date so you will be using 2021 points.
On the website home page towards the bottom right select “My Points” then you can select the use year box to see different use years points
Points used for a reservation are based on the start date of the reservation not the date you make the reservation
If you’d make a reservation for say April 15, 2021 you would be using 2022 points

Last edited: