• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why Your Cable Company Might Be Happy to See You Stop Subscribing to Its TV Service

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Why Your Cable Company Might Be Happy to See You Stop Subscribing to Its TV Service
By Rob Pegoraro/ Special for USA Today/ Tech/ USA Today/ usatoday.com

"The steady march of TV cord cutting – plus continued inflation in programming costs – has led some smaller cable operators to stop fighting this trend. But if yours invites you to dump its TV service and switch to online streaming, its internet rates may hide a surprise that will be painful to you and profitable to your internet provider.

Data caps limiting how much you can download per month are an unpleasant reality at too many providers, but small cable services can be significantly less generous with them. Those same companies also have the hardest time keeping programming costs in check and increasingly lose money on video.

"(A)mong smaller cable operators, it has become commonplace to stop even trying to preserve the video subscriber base," a MoffettNathanson Research study observed. That note called out two second-tier firms, Cable One and Mediacom, as being particularly at peace with seeing their video subscribers quit...."

MotleyFool-TMOT-c2c61fdf-cable-tv.jpg

Cord-cutting has continued to accelerate. (Photo: Getty Images)

Richard

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My avartar picture is my 2nd home. CableTV is expensive weekend luxury ... but there has been NO local TV reception for years. Except now there digital TV service via my new digital antenna and digital TV has me picking up several stations ... the 69.1, 69.2, 69.3 stations with commericals plus multiple non-commerical public channels. No ABC, NBC or CBS stations but it is a 2nd home ... and this broadcast TV service, really is close to being in a foreign country.

I heard about these broadcasts stations are partial supported by the "Emergency Broadcast System" ... cable is not free service.

And my DVD player is still a very important part of my living room. But at least I have a weather channel now and some local news on TV. Just need to get another digital antenna for my bedroom.

The only thing MORE expensive than Cable TV in the area ... internet service.