TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Why was SVN split into 2 "vacation clubs" Westin and Sheraton?

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by btoby61, Aug 12, 2018 at 10:28 PM.

1. btoby61

btoby61 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    SRV, HICV
    I have not noticed any difference in how the internal exchange system operates. Is it a marketing effort to uplift the Westin properties for developer sales? :shrug:. I am just curious if there was reason anyone may know of..

Thanks! B

2. tschwa2

tschwa2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    My guess is because the blended MF's for the Westin Club is higher but you can still sell the points at a higher price point with the higher MF"s based on the higher luxury of the Westin brand. The Sheraton blended MF's are pretty high too but you can discount the sale price on the points to get someone in the door and roped in as an owner or upgraded owner.

3. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

They are trying to segment the market to increase their sales/profits.

4. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    The split is really only for marketing purposes anyway. Though now that they have the two separate flex products, they can distinguish the products more. They also have a few properties that don't carry either the Westin or Sheraton brands. Think Vistana's Beach Club. Though it is included in the Sheraton Flex portfolio. I am not sure if this is because Vistana hasn't been one to push the HOAs at these properties to do the upgrades needed to bring them up to brand standards to carry the name. Perhaps once MVC takes over, they will make that push.

btoby61 likes this.
  5. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Don't forget that there is also Aventuras Flex, comprising the ones in Mexico (Lagunamar - Cancun and Cabo). Sales folks said when Costa Rica timeshare comes on board, it will also be added to Aventuras.

6. gravitar

gravitar TUG Member

I have owned since 2005 and there have been 2 distinct segments going back at least this far.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

7. vacationtime1

vacationtime1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MAW & MKW (Kauai)
    WKORV-OF (Maui)
    WKV x3 (Scottsdale)
    I had thought the same, until they put a high end ski property into the Sheraton trust and started construction at the Sheraton Kauai property (which logically will go into the Sheraton trust).

Starwood/Vistana has made a mishmash of their system: voluntary properties, mandatory properties, HomeOptions (Nanea), Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Florida Club. I honestly believe their planning department is incompetent -- but I love their Hawaii resorts.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 2:11 PM
  8. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

The more confusion they can create the more money they will make...

George

9. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    I thought Florida Club was part of the Marriott Vacation Club, not Vistana?

GrayFal likes this.
  10. cubigbird

cubigbird Tug Review Crew Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay
    I don’t believe Vistana owns any properties in Costa Rica. To my knowledge no Starwood hotels were spun off or sold to Vistana in the timeshare spin-off transaction .

My guess since it came from sales that it’s just fluff. Costa Rica would be nice, but it’s wishful thinking.

Back to the OP question, I can see a reason to have multiple vacation programs would be to continue ownership churn / future sales and a reason to get folks to “upgrade” again, pay huge money again and create one gigantic combined points program, bringing all together, given lack of brand new inventory historically. Secondly, It also gives sales an immediate opportunity to sell one program against another and trying to get people to switch back and forth. I remember talking to someone by the pool recently that owns Sheraton Flex and in her update they tried to sell her on trading in and “upgrading” / switching to Aventuras for a nice hefty cost. Fortunately she declined it, but those pitches are happening.....as previously stated, it’s totally for marketing purposes.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 3:44 PM
  11. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    I believe you hit the nail on the head when you said that it is just sales fluff!

In ILG's most recent 10-K it does not show any Vistana property holdings in Costa Rica. So if there is a Costa Rica timeshare in the future it is several years into the future.

vacationtime1 likes this.
  12. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

The SVN was originally cobbled together with resorts that they bought from other companies. Most of them were designated as "Sheraton" resorts.

When Starwood started building their own SVN resorts from the ground up, the new properties were designated as "Westin Resorts." I think this is because they were the new, top tier resorts in the SVN, and they were a notch above the Sheraton resorts.

That's my theory - YMMV.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 6:27 PM
    Ken555, Sunshine10 and Helios like this.
  13. Helios

Helios TUG Member

Perhaps at the beginning (creating mandatory resorts), but caught up and made brilliant moves for the shareholders and the sales forces...The churning is simply brilliant.

14. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    This seems to be the case, at least for most properties. However, the Westin St John was one of the original properties that they bought, if not the first? And it carries the Westin Name. All of the old Vistana properties have either Sheraton or no brand attached. Any hotel conversions seem to be Sheratons also.

15. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

Yes, that's why I said "most," I think Starwood viewed WSJ as a resort that belonged in the top tier.

Most recently, they have deviated from this with the 3 newest resorts in Mexico that they bought from someone else, but that may have been an ILG decision.

16. Helios

Helios TUG Member

I think this is very true.

In CR they manage the condos by the Westin Playa Conchal. Could those be added to the network like the AZ property that joined for a while and then left.

17. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Maui Ocean Club, Hawaii
    Marriott's Barony Beach Club, Hilton Head
    Marriott Destination Club Trust Points
    HGVC at Sea World
    My perception is it has nothing to do really with who bought them or developed them, but it's just like Starwood designated certain hotels as Sheraton and others as Westin. The two brands were always positioned differently and targeted at different demographics. Sheraton was always viewed as a nice, upscale, full-service hotel brand, but Westin was always targeted at least a notch or two above Sheraton and was known for more luxury. So, the properties they wanted to price higher and target toward a more affluent tier they designated as Westin.

18. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    I think it matters who owns the property. Like Los Cabos, Sheraton Kauai, and the Westin Cancun. Those were spunoff with the timeshare division. So Vistana actually owned the property. Who actually owns the Westin Playa Conchal? Probably some investor that had Starwood manage the property for them. Starwood managed a lot of properties around the world.

19. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

When I attended an owners' update at Westin Mission Hills, the salesperson asked if I had heard of Aventuras and I said yes and it comprised current and future Mexico timeshare. She said in a condescending manner and said "It is not just timeshare in Mexico. Costa Rica will be in it when it comes onboard." I said whatever.

20. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    The Westin Vacation Club and Sheraton Vacation Club names have existed for quite a while -
    well before the the name change of this forum to VSE.