• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why I love my Chase Sapphire Reserve card and the points and how I use them

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I just booked two lie-flat seats on Hawaiian Airlines, 8/24, SEA-OGG, for 83,946 points without transferring the points to "mileage partners," hoping for seats to come available at 40K points each (rarely do I see those reduced point seats). The seats would have been slightly less than $630 each. You can see the value in those points. $1260=83,946

A huge advantage to this is that I build points and miles with our Hawaiian Airlines FF program when I book using the Chase Sapphire UR portal. Chase allows me to enter a FF# for each airline program, and it remembers the reward number and my TSA Precheck number as well. The sale goes to Hawaiian as an Expedia purchase, giving me the miles and points for the flights.

My Marriott points, however, are a terrible value. I need to book one additional night for 8/30-8/31 at a hotel in the Marriott system because our timeshare weeks don't match up. The one night is $43.98 tax + 50,000 points at the Wailea resort. I could get the room for $534.33 total. That is a value of 1 cent per point.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
My Marriott points, however, are a terrible value. I need to book one additional night for 8/30-8/31 at a hotel in the Marriott system because our timeshare weeks don't match up. The one night is $43.98 tax + 50,000 points at the Wailea resort. I could get the room for $534.33 total. That is a value of 1 cent per point.

This is an incomplete valuation since you don’t value the cost of your points. Sure, it’s one cent per point but you didn’t pay one cent for those points, did you? For example, the Starwood cards offer a minimum of two points for every dollar spent (up to six points per dollar for certain purchases). If you think it cost you one cent per point then very few Marriott redemptions will ever make financial sense.

Also, there’s at least one category 5 hotel on Maui and while it is likely not your first choice, that hotel could be redeemed for your annual free night which is now included with the credit card. Or did you get rid of your Starwood AMEX? This is one of those instances where the $95 annual fee makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Our credit card renews in July. I didn't get a free night, unfortunately, because they didn't start that until after July. So no free night for the SGP credit card so far. Maybe I won't get that free night, since I didn't switch from the SPG Amex? Do they even offer it anymore? We didn't get a new card in the mail.

I have 750,000 points in my Marriott account (250 X 3 points), built mostly with spend on Starwood before the changes of last year. I built some of the points with manufactured spend at a cost of $8.90 per 1,000, because back then a lot of great hotels in SPG were just 7,000 points. So 250,000 points went further and a hotel that cost $150 per night was just 7-8,000 points. I found that to be a great value. So for example, in my MS days, I could get the Swan and Dolphin hotels for 12,000 per night. That was great. Now that hotel costs 50,000 points. I lost value with the changeover to Marriott.

I no longer even know how to value those points, so maybe you can help me with that? I have very little use for hotels, owning enough weeks/points to stay at least 20 weeks per year. We do have kids in their late 30's-early 40's that help us use a lot of our weeks. I will likely cancel the night of 8/30, if I can match to a week on Maui that won't require a night's stay in a hotel room. I would be better off transferring points to an airline, but then I have to search for award seats. It's all such a game.

What I see is $25,000 in Marriott/SPG spend is worth 150,000 points. So I could get 3 hotel nights for that. A spend of 25,000 points in Chase = 75,000 points.

Here is my valuation of Sapphire Reserve (which is super easy to figure out):

3X points on my timeshare maintenance fees, gasoline and restaurants

83,946 points = $27,982 spend, which is equal to $1,259.

The same hotel night that is 50,000 Marriott points (+ $43.98) in Chase points is 31,198 points, including tax. That requires a 10,400 purchase at 3X points with Chase.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Phooey on the value of the points. It's still a win. I hope you enjoy those lie flat seats more than worrying about how much value you got from your points. Don't get over-analytical. Enjoy your travels!

One of the great things about Chase U.R. points is how easy they are to accumulate. Even if you used a big chunk of your U.R. points to book these seats, you'll be able to replenish them.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Phooey on the value of the points. It's still a win. I hope you enjoy those lie flat seats more than worrying about how much value you got from your points. Don't get over-analytical. Enjoy your travels!

One of the great things about Chase U.R. points is how easy they are to accumulate. Even if you used a big chunk of your U.R. points to book these seats, you'll be able to replenish them.
Ahhh... thanks for that! Yes, I can replenish them easily enough. We already have quite a few.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I just purchased a First Class United ticket for IAH to LGA return EWR to IAH using Chase UR. I was going to book coach and pay to upgrade to economy plus. However the ticket plus those extra costs for Priority seats was actually more than the first class ticket straight up. So buying first saved on Baggage fees too. I also get to try the Polaris class seat on the way home instead of the regular Barcalounger first class seats.

It was actually this experience that made me decide to get the AMEX Aspire Card. I live in Houston but don't have status on United. I have LT Plat on AA from my years of living in DFW and AUS. I use AA when it is convenient and cheap enough, and they have a direct from IAH. But United is the direct flight game in town, so I think I will just start using the Aspire Card Airlines Rebate for United. I may actually fly United again.

I guess I have had way too much freaky luck at finding bizarre ticket sales, that I forgot what real airline ticket pricing was like. My $125 one way IAH to KOA and my rountrip LAX to Fiji at $263 are NOT normal ticket prices.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Our credit card renews in July. I didn't get a free night, unfortunately, because they didn't start that until after July. So no free night for the SGP credit card so far. Maybe I won't get that free night, since I didn't switch from the SPG Amex? Do they even offer it anymore? We didn't get a new card in the mail.

Yes, it's a new benefit since the transition to Marriott for the SPG AMEX.

I have 750,000 points in my Marriott account (250 X 3 points), built mostly with spend on Starwood before the changes of last year. I built some of the points with manufactured spend at a cost of $8.90 per 1,000, because back then a lot of great hotels in SPG were just 7,000 points. So 250,000 points went further and a hotel that cost $150 per night was just 7-8,000 points. I found that to be a great value. So for example, in my MS days, I could get the Swan and Dolphin hotels for 12,000 per night. That was great. Now that hotel costs 50,000 points. I lost value with the changeover to Marriott.

I think we all lost value with the switch. The trick now is to make it as beneficial as possible, and I believe there still is value to be found.

I no longer even know how to value those points, so maybe you can help me with that? I have very little use for hotels, owning enough weeks/points to stay at least 20 weeks per year. We do have kids in their late 30's-early 40's that help us use a lot of our weeks. I will likely cancel the night of 8/30, if I can match to a week on Maui that won't require a night's stay in a hotel room. I would be better off transferring points to an airline, but then I have to search for award seats. It's all such a game.

It *is* a game! That's exactly it! So if you play it as well as you did previously, you'll find it likely work out well for you.

What I see is $25,000 in Marriott/SPG spend is worth 150,000 points. So I could get 3 hotel nights for that. A spend of 25,000 points in Chase = 75,000 points.

Marriott points do not equal Chase points. All points are not the same.

Here is my valuation of Sapphire Reserve (which is super easy to figure out):

3X points on my timeshare maintenance fees, gasoline and restaurants

83,946 points = $27,982 spend, which is equal to $1,259.

The same hotel night that is 50,000 Marriott points (+ $43.98) in Chase points is 31,198 points, including tax. That requires a 10,400 purchase at 3X points with Chase.

I calculate earning Marriott points at 2 per $ spent on the credit card, since that's the base rate. Most of my current spend is higher (4x at restaurants and the odd purchase at a hotel, plus annual MF at 6x). So... this makes $25,000 on cc worth only 50,000 points (not 150,000).

If I understand Chase correctly, each point is worth 1.5% when used at their travel site. The key is earning more than one point per $, and they have some programs that allow that, but I believe most spend is just one point (of course 3x points at restaurants and travel, so that would be worth 4.5%...which is typically higher than the valuation of Marriott awards so could be a better use than the SPG Amex for those expenses).

I created a spreadsheet to track if it's worth using points or not quite simply for each of the hotel programs I track. This allowed me to see quickly that my five night stay in Melbourne next year would be best using points rather than the cash rate of $1334, and my redemption value (at just two points per $) is 3.81%. I also track the cash&points option since sometimes that's a better value (I've found that is much better at Radisson than Marriott, FWIW). I've also got a five night stay in Paris later this year with points at a value of 2.58%, again based at two points per $. This means that my real value is actually much higher since the bulk of my Marriott points were converted from SPG at 3:1, and I'm earning more than two points per $ on average now because my spend has changed.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I've looked at booking flights for cash through the UR portal, but every time they've been more expensive than booking on United's site. (I only fly United since I have status.) I don't have nearly as many points as you, Cindy; and I primarily use them for free car rentals.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've looked at booking flights for cash through the UR portal, but every time they've been more expensive than booking on United's site. (I only fly United since I have status.) I don't have nearly as many points as you, Cindy; and I primarily use them for free car rentals.

I am surprised by that. But the sweet spot is via Reserve card access as you use less points as you get a 50% bonus on points usage for travel. I have seen the same price on orbitz, Airline specific website and in the portal.

I booked United first class last week and Fiji Airways a few months back. Both were the same price. Make sure you compare fare classes to. I don't want to book Basic Economy and 90% of the time C UR portal prices out other options even though it doesn't initially show that price.

We should try some price comparisons some time. I wonder if it is your city pair or what else could be the issue.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I am surprised by that. But the sweet spot is via Reserve card access as you use less points as you get a 50% bonus on points usage for travel. I have seen the same price on orbitz, Airline specific website and in the portal.

I booked United first class last week and Fiji Airways a few months back. Both were the same price. Make sure you compare fare classes to. I don't want to book Basic Economy and 90% of the time C UR portal prices out other options even though it doesn't initially show that price.

We should try some price comparisons some time. I wonder if it is your city pair or what else could be the issue.

I’m curious...what Fiji route and class did you book, and how many points for it? I recently used Alaska miles for Fiji business class from LA to Melbourne for 55,000.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m curious...what Fiji route and class did you book, and how many points for it? I recently used Alaska miles for Fiji business class from LA to Melbourne for 55,000.

2 Coach RT tickets $395.25 Each ticket.

Used a total of 52,700 which is the equivalent of $527 in Cash Back Value.
So $263.50 per ticket in Cash Back Value.

upload_2019-6-24_21-34-19.png

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I also like my Chase Sapphire Reserve card and find great use for the points which accumulate fast at 3x spend for dining and travel, when needing to book flights without airline points. I’ve found the airline prices very competitive on UR and the customer service reps are professional, helpful and friendly. They also offer a 24 hour free change/ cancellation for flights booked. Once, I save several hundred dollars when the flight priced changed the following day.

I use Amex Platinum for Reward points and their Premium international airline program. They have the most flexible array of airline partners to transfer points to (except for United) and it’s done seamlessly and quickly when trying to book these reward seats quickly.
The premium International airline program offers contracted premium seats (premium economy and higher) pricing to members on many partner airlines. We booked business class seats (on Delta) from NY to Israel for this September at a savings of $600 per ticket vs. the best available published pricing of any Airline flying the route non-stop.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fiji Airways Biz product is not great on most of their planes. Most, if not all, are NOT lie flat, they are angled. I hate angled.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Fiji Airways Biz product is not great on most of their planes. Most, if not all, are NOT lie flat, they are angled. I had angled.

They are about to get new A350s with an all new modern business class. It will be on the Nadi-LA and SF routes. For LA the new planes will be six days a week...and of course I’m going on the A330 on the seventh day... but for me, it does not matter at all. I don’t sleep on planes, and rarely use it flat. The best business seat I’ve had in years was on an old Qantas 747. They may not go flat, but they’re wider than the new seats and more comfortable. I find the lie flat seats too confining, but of course they’re fantastic compared to coach. Incidentally, this is why I bought a couple premium econ seats for later this year to Europe, since I’m hoping they’ll be my new favorite (especially when I pay cash).

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
2 Coach RT tickets $395.25 Each ticket.

Used a total of 52,700 which is the equivalent of $527 in Cash Back Value.
So $263.50 per ticket in Cash Back Value.

View attachment 12569

That’s a great rate. It was much more expensive for business to Melbourne.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

I am also very surprised by that as the prices have always been the same. However I have not booked UAL since the change to Expedia. Historically you can call it in if you dont see it online.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That’s a great rate. It was much more expensive for business to Melbourne.

The original ticket was $266 and the rest was taxes. Not even sure I am paying for my portion of the fuel on an 11 hour flight.

Paid for bulkhead seats, which I just noticed they managed to take my money but throw us out of. I guess I better make a phone call, I need that bulk head seat.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
BTW...I descibed on another thread that a benefit of CSR is flexibility. We booked $1000+ of activities on Maui with CSR points. Activities for a family can add up!

FYI...Just found a great benefit of the Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) that the hotel cards don't have. We booked our family of 4 on two tours: 1) a snorkel cruise and 2) sunrise bike ride down Haleakala. This would have cost $1000+ but we were able to use the "Things to do" tab on the Chase portal and book the snorkel cruise at 1.5 cents per point. The bike ride we booked direct and got 1 cent per point back on the credit card. No cash outlay. Can also apply points plus cash if desired.

Here's the kicker if you have both Aspire/Lux and CSR: 1) Book ANY activity or cabanas at the hotel paying with the Hilton Card (or SPG Lux card if at Westin) for cash plus earn extra CC points; 2) then apply the cash back option on the CSR to offset cost (you don't need to match against a specific travel item like the Barclays card) i.e. you don't have to use the CSR to pay. The extra points gain from Hotel CC makes the return higher than 1 cent cash rebate on the CSR (but haven't calculated exactly how much).

Nice to have these tours for free. These tours can add up especially if you have a family.

Last year we booked via the chase portal a free guided bicycle tour of DC while visiting the HGVC District for our family which I highly recommend.

Last edited:

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Whew I spent about 168,000 points on airfare last night using the CSR card. 2 R/T tix from Madison WI to Cancun in October (about $645 each if paid with cash) and 2 R/T tix from Madison to St Thomas in February (about $636 cash). Pretty much wiped out our CSR points, but hey what good are they if you don't use them! One thing I didn't like about the Chase site was the inability to choose our seats through the Chase site. After I booked I went on the airline website and chose our seats. Both sets of flights it randomly picked AWFUL seats for us. The Cancun flight I can almost understand, there were very few non-premium seats left. But the St Thomas flights were almost empty and the system still put us in non-adjoining seats and both of us in middle seats. I rectified the situation relatively easily.

I assume that since I used the CSR card that the travel insurance will still be activated?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Travel insurance applied if you used points in the past because you were using the card to pay. May be worth calling to confirm now that they use Expedia but should work.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Because I cannot seem to equate Marriott points on any logical level for value, I cannot use the American Express card anymore. I will take the free night each year. I can always use one free night somewhere.