TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Why Hawaii is trying to ban a common sunscreen

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by RNCollins, May 10, 2017.

1. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    Being faired-skin and somewhat large who spends all vacations in the tropics (and a wife who loves to sunbathe), I find wearing the UA HeatGear water shirts SPF50) to be fantastic and a vacation saver - and also cost-savings as the cost of any sunscreen that doesn't have to cover my torso easily pays for these comfortable shirts (wet or dry).

Hey Wait! I am a Scientist to!!! LOL

and @AbelowDS - while I dislike the selling of Fear, and using non-clinical studies to make grandiose claims, I respectfully disagree with some of your arguments regarding the balance between environment protection and public health. But... that may just be me.

[Picture attached to this post removed at DavidnRobin's request - mg]

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2017
  2. geoand

geoand TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

There are countless alternatives. I wear a skull cap and a shorty wetsuit and never get burned. The other benefit is that I am wearing a good flotation device. I'm 220 lb. and the shorty wetsuit keeps me floating.

3. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 50,000
    Royal Solaris San Jose del Cavo
    Patti and I wear ankle to wrist "skins." When we first started wearing them there was basically one choice - single piece and black. This made it difficult for visiting the bathroom. Now Patti has several attractive colorful two piece sets. I also wear a skull cap made of material like a wetsuit. Patti loves it because one side is a bright lime green. I wear this side out and she can always find me.

4. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    I wear a skull cap as well - great for sun protection while snorkeling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. fillde

fillde TUG Member

Not sure why the picture is included in this discussion. Are you advocating an end to capitalism? And isn't that considered political?

[Picture attached to DavidnRobin's original post removed at DavidnRobin's request - mg]

6. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    Political? "End of Capitalism " I implied this?
    That's how you see it? Really? I don't get it...
    Interesting...
    perhaps try in context to my reply to AbelowDS (thus the '@') with a tinge of humor.

Otherwise... well...
    E=mc^2

[Picture attached to DavidnRobin's original post removed at DavidnRobin's request - mg]

7. fillde

fillde TUG Member

Hint. Hint. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand......

8. Tamaradarann

Tamaradarann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
    We use Banana Boat Sport Sunscreen that has 3% Avobenzone in it. Is this one of the chemicals that they are thinking about banning?

As far as protective clothing, my husband had a melanoma cyst cut from his arm last year. It was a very small stage zero melanoma, but the cut was very deep and wide. He would use sunscreen but it does wear off, and it is difficult to cover the entire body all the time when you out at the beach. The doctor advised him to cover up with clothing as the best protection. He started doing that now, but to be reasonably protected you still need to put sunblock on your face, hands, and legs if you are wearing swim trucks with a long sleeve rash guard, and hat.

9. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Perhaps they were referring to the sign someone was holding behind you?

10. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    OMG - I didn't check all the signs!
    Mod please delete!
    LOL

11. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

Done (Dave you anarchist! ;) )

For future reference, you can click EDIT and then just remove the link to the picture.

12. x3 skier

x3 skier Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

The file is still attached to the post #26 and can be read, if it matters. :D

Cheers

[Now removed - mg]

13. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

Hmmm - can't see a way to delete the attached file - will bump it up the food chain.

14. VegasBella

VegasBella TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Carlsbad Inn
    Avenue Plaza
    Riviera Beach & Spa
    So I tried to find out more about this proposed ban and it sounds like it would really just impact the sunscreens sold in Hawaii, not the sunscreens brought in by tourists. But it's possible they would go through luggage and remove the banned sunscreens, though that seems like a lot of work. I just bought myself some special reef-safe sunscreen for our trip :)

AbelowDS likes this.
  15. BJRSanDiego

BJRSanDiego TUG Member

Interestingly, zinc has some toxicity to plants. It is sold in roll form by Home Deport to prevent moss and mildew from growing on a person's roof.http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-F...ss-and-Mildew-Preventer-Strip-NMM50/100004640

16. AbelowDS

AbelowDS TUG Member

I like this. Personally, I would like to keep Moss and mildew off of my body. Just another readonly people are more important than the environment in this case.

(Am I starting another wave of debate with this comment? Am I joking or not...?)

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

17. AbelowDS

AbelowDS TUG Member

Sorry...autocorrect... "...another reason..."

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

18. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    I was kidding... I guess LOL did not properly relay sarcasm. I need to work on that....That claim that I was promoting 'Down with Capitalism' based off a small sign in the crowd is like a hammer looking for a nail. Why not focus on the cute kid with the 'Children 4 Education' poster? Or my adorable wife flashing her 'hippie' peace signs?
    Or is it political to be for education, science or peace? ;)

My point was that 'Scientists' can have different views/opinions - in fact it is imperative that they do for proper vetting (thus reason why scientific papers need to be peered reviewed). As long as Facts are considered (and not 'it is a fact I feel that way') - I am okay with differing opinions. In fact as a Scientist - I seek these out (or did up until 2 weeks ago...).

Peace... oops. I mean good luck... oops, I mean good science :D

@AbelowDS - the point about the sun shirts is that they offer better protect than sunscreens without the potential for harm (except the shirts are synthtic ;)). However, it is a fact that common sunscreen protection products are harmful to coral (algae) AND these levels can be measured in the water around the coral. I do think that coral bleaching due to water temperatures rising (fact) is likely a greater risk. But life is not black/white, and discounting one over the other is dangerous (scientifically).

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    AbelowDS likes this.
  19. fillde

fillde TUG Member

I'd like to add my 2 scoops, oops, I meant 2 cents. I observed a sign that was pretty obvious, advocating a different form of government we currently have. I didn't believe this was the correct forum to espouse that opinion. The moderators agreed.

So let's move on.

20. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Perhaps you should have reported the post instead? Your post pointing out the infraction is just as much an infraction as the original post, no?

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  21. BJRSanDiego

BJRSanDiego TUG Member

The zinc basically kills plant organisms that create chlorophyll through photosynthesis. This occurs at a fairly low PPM level. Inhibiting photosynthesis in the ocean doesn't sound like a terribly good idea.

Zinc along with an oil on the skin probably isn't a high risk to humans.

My purpose of posting was just to point out that even the alternatives (zinc ointment) may not be without its own set of unique problems.

AbelowDS likes this.