• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why Do Cooks Love the Instant Pot? I Bought One to Find Out

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Why Do Cooks Love the Instant Pot? I Bought One to Find Out
By Melissa Clark/ Food/ A Good Appetite/ The New York Times/ nytimes.com

"People have fallen in love with their Instant Pots.

They may like their blenders, cherish their slow cookers and need their food processors.

But the Instant Pot — a device that combines an electric pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker and yogurt maker in one handy unit — sends even mild-mannered cooks into fits of passion.

You find the “L” word over and over in the 15,000 or so product reviews on Amazon. And if you click over to Instant Pot’s Facebook community page, you’ll find more than 360,000 members sharing their undying affection alongside their recipes for chili. (A typical post: “I’m having an affair. My husband said he wished he would have never given me the Instant Pot for Christmas.”)

If you’re a cook and got through last year without bumping into people who couldn’t stop talking about their Instant Pots — or any of the other multifunctional electric pressure cookers on the market (Breville and Cuisinart both make versions) — then you won’t have to wait much longer...."

01APPE6-blog427.jpg

The Instant Pot combines an electric pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker and yogurt maker in one unit. Credit Karsten Moran for The New York Times

Richard

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a different brand of electric pressure cooker (an Elite Maximatic) and I do indeed love it. I use it almost every day. Do you have one?

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I have a different brand of electric pressure cooker (an Elite Maximatic) and I do indeed love it. I use it almost every day. Do you have one?
I was going to buy one for myself as a Christmas present but my wife persuaded me to change my mind. We don't have room to store it on the counter nor in the closet and she didn't think I would use it enough to make it worthwhile.

I am intrigued by the concept though.

Richard

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Is there an optimal number of small appliances on a countertop per square foot?

Here's a list of the 10 most popular from www.overstock.com ...
  • Coffee maker. I'd include a coffee grinder.
  • Toasters and toaster ovens.
  • Blender.
  • Rice cooker.
  • Food processor.
  • Mixer.
  • Electric grill.
  • Slow cooker.
An Instant Pot could substitute for 2 of those.

------------------------
A vignette from the Mary Tyler Moore show:
Mary: Do you need to wash a pot you only used to boil water?
Rhoda: I don't know. I only use paper pots.
------------------------

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dunno. Cook's illustrated couldn't recommend ANY electric pressure cooker. For a food processor, I use a 10" chef's knife. The rice cooker is plastic and goes in the microwave. The slow cooker is- well, a slow cooker. I think this is a gadget I can live without. But if someone has a particular food that can't be prepared (at least as well) otherwise, I'm all ears.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
No...of course there's nothing you can ONLY make in a pressure cooker. But it's much more useful than a slow cooker, so if you already have a slow cooker, an electric pressure cooker takes the place of that but can do more. We have a very small kitchen, and I keep the pressure cooker and the coffee maker and the toaster out, and that's it.

Stovetop pressure cookers do give you more control and more pressure. But electric pressure cookers let you set the cooking time and walk away, or turn your attention to making something else on the stove.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stovetop pressure cookers do give you more control and more pressure. But electric pressure cookers let you set the cooking time and walk away, or turn your attention to making something else on the stove.
I bought a stovetop pressure cooker about 10 years ago for the sole purpose of cooking tamales in a reasonable amount of time (15 minutes per batch versus an hour steaming on the stove -- huge time savings). Now I use the pressure cooker about 5 times per week (sometimes 3 times in the same day) for soup stocks (cannot be beat for this in terms of time), rice, beans, chuck pot roasts, pulled-pork roasts, soups, literally dozens of uses. Peel and coarse chop potatoes, then into the pressure cooker for 15 minutes, then whip in a Kitchen Aid Mixer -- done 45 minutes before boiling the potatoes on the stove.

So easy to clean, I have never put it in the dishwasher, but it could go there, and that is the biggest difference between it and an electric cooker of some kind, which could not tolerate even water immersion for cleaning.

There is a learning curve with stovetop pressure cookers versus push-button electrics. That is probably the main advantage that the electrics have.

Any type of pressure cooking beats regular stovetop cooking by a light year.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
My son and DIL love their Instant Pot so much they now own 2 or 3 of them. They brought one with them on our trip to the Big Island. They gave us one for Christmas. We use it about twice a week.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
As much as I love to cook and appreciate kitchen tools, I've never heard of the Instant Pot!
We do have an electric pressure cooker, but we don't use it all that much--and we use stove-top pressure cookers for canning.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
So easy to clean, I have never put it in the dishwasher, but it could go there, and that is the biggest difference between it and an electric cooker of some kind, which could not tolerate even water immersion for cleaning.

Electric pressure cookers have an insert pot. You put the food in the insert pot, cook, and then you can lift out the whole insert for serving (for example, if you want to pour the soup into a tureen) and washing. You can put them in the dishwasher, too! I bought two stainless steel inserts for my cheapie electric pressure cooker, so now I can make (for example) soup in one pot and then rice in the other.

You never need to wash the main part of the electric pressure cooker, so it doesn't matter that you can't put it in water. It's like...I guess it's like removable grill plates on an electric grill, or the pitcher on a blender. You only need to wash the business part of it! :)

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
As much as I love to cook and appreciate kitchen tools, I've never heard of the Instant Pot!
We do have an electric pressure cooker, but we don't use it all that much--and we use stove-top pressure cookers for canning.

I think using a stove-top pressure cooker for canning is safer. You need the higher pressure.

willowglener

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love my Instant Pot. I use it for cooking rice, beans, quinoa, stocks, soups, ribs (tender in 25 mins, then throw them on the grill), stews, and recently creme brûlée. I love not having to watch it. I can just plug it in, set it up, and go to work.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I received one from my daughters for my birthday. I'm still learning, but it is a pretty nifty gadget. I first heard about it when I followed Skinnytaste on facebook - she uses it frequently and includes directions for using it in many of her recipes. I gave one to my mom for Christmas and she is delighted. She has only used it to make soups but is quite impressed.

It is supposed to be able to replace a slow cooker, a rice cooker, and a pressure cooker although I have only used the pressure cooking feature. My favorite thing to cook in it so far is pork chops - it has a saute setting so you can brown them right in the pot, then deglaze the pot and add the liquid to finish pressure cooking them in about 15 minutes. I also tried pressure cooking a whole chicken - it worked fine but I would only do that if I was planning on shredding the chicken because it was so tender, but it was nice to not heat the whole kitchen by using the oven, and it cooked quickly (45 min +/-).

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received one from my daughters for my birthday. I'm still learning, but it is a pretty nifty gadget. I first heard about it when I followed Skinnytaste on facebook - she uses it frequently and includes directions for using it in many of her recipes. I gave one to my mom for Christmas and she is delighted. She has only used it to make soups but is quite impressed.

It is supposed to be able to replace a slow cooker, a rice cooker, and a pressure cooker although I have only used the pressure cooking feature. My favorite thing to cook in it so far is pork chops - it has a saute setting so you can brown them right in the pot, then deglaze the pot and add the liquid to finish pressure cooking them in about 15 minutes. I also tried pressure cooking a whole chicken - it worked fine but I would only do that if I was planning on shredding the chicken because it was so tender, but it was nice to not heat the whole kitchen by using the oven, and it cooked quickly (45 min +/-).

Have you ever made ribs? That's very rewarding! You cook them in the pressure cooker and then brush on the sauce and brown them under the broiler. So fast and the ribs are really good!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No but I can't wait to try!
Have you ever made ribs? That's very rewarding! You cook them in the pressure cooker and then brush on the sauce and brown them under the broiler. So fast and the ribs are really good!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have our coffee maker on the counter and the Kitchen Aid (too heavy to move!). The rest live in the cabinets in the kitchen. We don't have a rice cooker, an electric grill or a toaster oven.

Btw, not on the list, but an immersion blender is my favorite gadget. I think that everyone should have one.

Is there an optimal number of small appliances on a countertop per square foot?

Here's a list of the 10 most popular from www.overstock.com ...
  • Coffee maker. I'd include a coffee grinder.
  • Toasters and toaster ovens.
  • Blender.
  • Rice cooker.
  • Food processor.
  • Mixer.
  • Electric grill.
  • Slow cooker.
An Instant Pot could substitute for 2 of those.

------------------------
A vignette from the Mary Tyler Moore show:
Mary: Do you need to wash a pot you only used to boil water?
Rhoda: I don't know. I only use paper pots.
------------------------

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Count me as one who loves the InstantPot! I use mine almost everyday to cook rice, soup, meat (use pressure cook settings), congee, yougurt, and even the Chinese fermented sweet rice (Jiuniang). This the appliance that I use most often.
I recently also got into Sous-Vide, which is another story :)

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Count me as one who loves the InstantPot! I use mine almost everyday to cook rice, soup, meat (use pressure cook settings), congee, yougurt, and even the Chinese fermented sweet rice (Jiuniang). This the appliance that I use most often.
I recently also got into Sous-Vide, which is another story :)

Is there a sous-vide attachment for the Instant Pot? What does it do?

Also, macaroni and cheese! Super easy and very creamy and yummy.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in... just purchased one on Amazon for $129. Hopefully not too big for the counter space. :)

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

Mine isn't an Instant Pot, and I think it has higher pressure than an Instant Pot, but I do chicken soup in 24 minutes with natural release.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't think The 5 Qt have yougurt function, is this important to you?