• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Who can tell me about Resorts West Vacation Club?

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have been owners at The Ridge Tahoe for what seems like forever. We own a 2BR winter week in the Naegle buildings. We bought this (resale, yay!) about 20 years ago or so when we liked to ski. Now DW likes it warm, and we haven't been into skiing for quite a while. For the last 10 years or so, we just rent out our ski week on eBay. So we've spent very little time at The Ridge, and I've mostly ignored the quarterly newsletters, some of which probably described the point-based Vacation Club system.

We spent last weekend at The Ridge on bonus time, and had a great time. While there, we decided that it might be nice to convert to points and be able to use the time in the summer. We've also discussed (a) trading our week for a summer week, if we could find someone so disposed, or (b) selling the week (which I wanted to do 4 years ago before the market crashed, when we could have gotten more than a few bucks for it, but DW vetoed :ignore: ). But I digress.

Anyway, we didn't want to sit through a sales presentation. BTDT.

Can anyone out there - (a) give a synopsis of how the point system works, (b) give me the real skinny on whether it works (or do you end up giving up your desirable week and find out you can only get the undesirable properties like Ridge Crest), and (c) tell me how much it would cost to do a conversion?

I know there are some knowledgeable TUGgers out there that can give me the real facts, as opposed to what will come out of the mouth of a salesperson. Thanks.

-Bob

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Searching indicates it's an affiliation of three of the "Ridge Properties" being pooled into a mini system

http://www.ridgetahoeresort.com/family_of_resorts.html

I cannot see any value in putting additional cash into the property to convert to points - You might consider exchanging through an dindependent if you can reserve a prime ski week or RCI/II

No additional sunk costs

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It is hard to imagine a less valuable item than an extra cost, multi resort system with only a handful of resorts. Anything less than 50 isn't even worthy of being called a system as there just isn't any real meat of internal choice which is what you are actually paying for. And I assume they are attaching to RCI or II as additional inventory source but we can all do that - hardly worth a big sign up cost.

Sounds like one to avoid IMO.

jfk123

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did attend the sales presentation. I hesitated to respond to you as I'm not sure how accurate my information is - but I will try. The salesman would not give us anything in writing. For example, to get one week in the Tower building (Naegle probably the same points) would cost $10,000, lose our week, and pay almost double maintenance, fees- about $1500. I guess you can come several times. Someone else may have better details. I never ran into any owners that have converted. It made no sense at all to us and the salesman couldn't wait to get rid of us.

Joan

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
  • The salesman would not give us anything in writing.
  • to get one week in the Tower building (Naegle probably the same points) would cost $10,000,
  • lose our week,
  • pay almost double maintenance, fees- about $1500.
Joan

A year in II will cost you $ 89 +139 for an exchange You could do 43 exchanges for what your up front cost is, not to mention the savings in a "FEES" -

I see Ridge Units availale almost year round . . . . If it doesn't work for you don't renew . . .

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Pay more to save - and where are the savings?

A year in II will cost you $ 89 +139 for an exchange You could do 43 exchanges for what your up front cost is, not to mention the savings in a "FEES" -

I see Ridge Units availale almost year round . . . . If it doesn't work for you don't renew . . .

Don't you love how they are going to"save" you money on fees, etc by you spending far more with them to get basically nothing? I don't know how they do it with a straight face. Anyone that thinks it through should see it's a no win game except for THEM!

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
They Shift Their Consciences Into Neutral -- If They Even Have Consciences.

I don't know how they do it with a straight face.
When they get dressed for work, they make sure their skivvies & their shoes are way too tight.

That way, they're so uncomfortable that they can't even crack a smile -- thus making sure they keep a straight face constantly no matter how comical the shuck & jive they spin in front of the customers.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I know that it's a small "system". I came into it thinking that if they would convert my week to points for a couple hundred bucks, it might be worth it for the additional flexibility. I was afraid that it might be $thousands, at which point it may be better to sell, even for next to nothing. I *did* ask their sales office about selling it. Their response was that we'd net just over $1000, but it may take 12 months or longer to sell it.

We did attend the sales presentation. I hesitated to respond to you as I'm not sure how accurate my information is - but I will try. The salesman would not give us anything in writing. For example, to get one week in the Tower building (Naegle probably the same points) would cost $10,000, lose our week, and pay almost double maintenance, fees- about $1500. I guess you can come several times. Someone else may have better details. I never ran into any owners that have converted. It made no sense at all to us and the salesman couldn't wait to get rid of us.

Joan

Joan, that sounds like they wanted to sell you an additional week, not convert your existing one. Is that correct? I understand the sales-critters making that attempt, but did you ask about just converting your existing week? Any idea what it would cost?

-Bob

jfk123

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, he was not trying to sell us another week. In fact, they only sell points now. As we own three weeks in the Tower Building and one week at the Ridge View, we mentioned that we would like all four weeks in the Tower Building. He was just using this as an example of how much it would cost to own enough points ($10,000) to have a week in the Tower Building. He also said that we would have weeks, and weeks of timeshare usage with the points program. I really didn't understand how that was possible. Hopefully, someone can give you a more detailed explanation. There must be someone on Tug who has converted. Again, it was $10,000 plus giving up our week. I just don't get It.

cobblover

Reaction score
My wife and I have been owners at The Ridge Tahoe for what seems like forever. We own a 2BR winter week in the Naegle buildings. We bought this (resale, yay!) about 20 years ago or so when we liked to ski. Now DW likes it warm, and we haven't been into skiing for quite a while. For the last 10 years or so, we just rent out our ski week on eBay. So we've spent very little time at The Ridge, and I've mostly ignored the quarterly newsletters, some of which probably described the point-based Vacation Club system.

We spent last weekend at The Ridge on bonus time, and had a great time. While there, we decided that it might be nice to convert to points and be able to use the time in the summer. We've also discussed (a) trading our week for a summer week, if we could find someone so disposed, or (b) selling the week (which I wanted to do 4 years ago before the market crashed, when we could have gotten more than a few bucks for it, but DW vetoed :ignore: ). But I digress.

Can anyone out there - (a) give a synopsis of how the point system works, (b) give me the real skinny on whether it works (or do you end up giving up your desirable week and find out you can only get the undesirable properties like Ridge Crest), and (c) tell me how much it would cost to do a conversion?

I know there are some knowledgeable TUGgers out there that can give me the real facts, as opposed to what will come out of the mouth of a salesperson. Thanks.

-Bob
Trying to find answers about our legacy Resorts West points too. Did you keep your weeks? Convert to points? on this too. And now, trying to decide how far our points would go if we convert to the Holiday Inn point system. I can say that my aunt who owns legacy weeks in naegle, purchased more points, but kept her legacy weeks as they were now too and came across your question. I do have some insight from my aunt. She owns legacy weeks, and bought more points.

-Bob
Do you still own the ridge legacy weeks? My family owns resorts west points, and I am now trying to determine if it is worth converting to Holiday Inn points. Curious if you still own.

cobblover

Reaction score
No, he was not trying to sell us another week. In fact, they only sell points now. As we own three weeks in the Tower Building and one week at the Ridge View, we mentioned that we would like all four weeks in the Tower Building. He was just using this as an example of how much it would cost to own enough points ($10,000) to have a week in the Tower Building. He also said that we would have weeks, and weeks of timeshare usage with the points program. I really didn't understand how that was possible. Hopefully, someone can give you a more detailed explanation. There must be someone on Tug who has converted. Again, it was $10,000 plus giving up our week. I just don't get It.
Do you still own resorts west? We have their points and are now trying to decide if it is worth converting to holiday inn points. curious if others have done that and found it beneficial.

cobblover

Reaction score

Joan
Do you still own resorts west? We are now trying to decide if it is worth converting our points to the new holiday inn system and of course they want $ to do that too. Wondering if anyone found it beneficial at all.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying to find answers about our legacy Resorts West points too. Did you keep your weeks? Convert to points? on this too. And now, trying to decide how far our points would go if we convert to the Holiday Inn point system. I can say that my aunt who owns legacy weeks in naegle, purchased more points, but kept her legacy weeks as they were now too and came across your question. I do have some insight from my aunt. She owns legacy weeks, and bought more points.

Do you still own the ridge legacy weeks? My family owns resorts west points, and I am now trying to determine if it is worth converting to Holiday Inn points. Curious if you still own.

No, we eventually took them up on their offer to resell it for us, for about $1000. Which was true, as far as it goes -- we netted $1094 (I just looked it up). The catch, of course, is that we had to keep up-to-date on maint fees, which were north of $1k per year. IIRC, we ended up paying two years of MFs - it took that long to sell. So net negative, though IIRC we did rent it out for at least one of those years. So my rusty memory is that we essentially got rid of it for free.