• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which would you go to ? Marriott Crystal Shores or HGVC Surf Club

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have a choice of the two. I own at Surf Club but now have a match/hold on Interval same dates for Crystal Shores.

Which would you chose to go to in Marco Island?

Beach front, 2 bedroom at hgvc surf club

Or

Unknown view ( could be no water view) , 3 br at Marriott’s Crystal Shores

Thinking the experience might be a one time chance for Crystal Shores so giving up my Surf Club view might be worth it. What do you think? :ponder:

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
With all due respect to your Surf Club view, you should try CS just for the resort experience. Granted beach front view is beach front view but comparing resorts SC cannot match CS. With the three bedroom you may just end up with ocean front at CS (not sure what size units are in the new section that sits further back in the resort).

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
With all due respect to your Surf Club view, you should try CS just for the resort experience. Granted beach front view is beach front view but comparing resorts SC cannot match CS. With the three bedroom you may just end up with ocean front at CS (not sure what size units are in the new section that sits further back in the resort).

Agree- this is a no brainer to me.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I would go for the Marriott. It's one of Marriott's newest resorts.

What time of year did you get your match? I would be enthusiastic to go to that resort sometime!

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am really big on view and the non-marriott unit is high quality
But you will have surf club next year
As long as I had a good use for the Surf Club I would take a chance on the Marriott view and go for it.
If I didn't have a good use for my surf club I would stick with it
Good problem to have

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I would vote for the Marriott resort. I am not sure where the 3BR units are located, but if you get one in the new section you will love it. We stayed in the old section and toured the new units when they first opened. They are beautiful.

As you say it may be a one time shot. As Yogi Berra said “when you come to the fork in the road, take it.” Another thought. Make the trade and you will see the room code on your II confirmation. Then call the resort and ask where the unit is located and what view you have. I don’t know if we have the II room codes in a list on TUG yet, but that would be another place to check. If it doesn’t seem like a good place, cancel the trade and keep your unit. You have 24 hours.

Let us know what you decide.

Best regards.

Mike

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would go for the Marriott. It's one of Marriott's newest resorts.

What time of year did you get your match? I would be enthusiastic to go to that resort sometime!
Got it in December during our daughters winter school break. She is bringing a friend so the extra bedroom is a big plus. I love my water views, usually don’t care about anything else but this is tempting.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am really big on view and the non-marriott unit is high quality
But you will have surf club next year
As long as I had a good use for the Surf Club I would take a chance on the Marriott view and go for it.
If I didn't have a good use for my surf club I would stick with it
Good problem to have
Always use for Surf Club. I can deposit the points in hgvc to use or use then to trade for Dvc or do a direct trade in Interval. With interval I would get a high end trade. Lots of choices.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would vote for the Marriott resort. I am not sure where the 3BR units are located, but if you get one in the new section you will love it. We stayed in the old section and toured the new units when they first opened. They are beautiful.

As you say it may be a one time shot. As Yogi Berra said “when you come to the fork in the road, take it.” Another thought. Make the trade and you will see the room code on your II confirmation. Then call the resort and ask where the unit is located and what view you have. I don’t know if we have the II room codes in a list on TUG yet, but that would be another place to check. If it doesn’t seem like a good place, cancel the trade and keep your unit. You have 24 hours.

Best regards.

Mike
If the room code is like other Marriots it is waterfront but I know from years of experience it means nothing. They can and are highly likely to change it.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Best regards.

Mike

It looks like some of the II room codes are included in the Marriott sticky thread.

Marriott.com shows the following three bedroom types that can be reserved:
  • Penthouse, Gulf front
  • 3rd - 5th floor, Poolside
  • 6th - 15th floor, Poolside,
  • 3rd - 5th floor, Island side
  • 6th - 15th floor, Island side

The TUG Marriott Sticky thread shows:
  • TBOF....Crystal Shores..............Gulf Front.........2BR unit.
  • TBBV....Crystal Shores..............Gulf Front.........3BR Penthouse unit.
  • TWOS....Crystal Shores..............Gulf Side..........2BR unit.
  • TBOV....Crystal Shores..............Gulf View..........2BR unit.
  • TOBT....Crystal Shores..............6-15 FL............2BR unit.
  • TOGA....Crystal Shores..............3-5 FL.............2BR unit.
  • TOBR....Crystal Shores..............Island Side........2BR unit.
  • THBR....Crystal Shores..............Poolside 6-15 FL...3BR unit.
  • THVI....Crystal Shores..............Poolside 3-5 FL....3BR unit.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There are only two 3BR gulf front penthouse units. I would expect that 99.9% of all 3BR units deposited in II are going to be the poolside units. The 3BR PH would likely have to come from an owner deposit where the poolside are coming from unsold inventory that Marriott is sitting on. Some of these pool views still have good views of the gulf though.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
As a fellow Surf Club owner, I would opt for CS in this case as the resort looks beautiful and you will always have the Surf Club for other years.

Kurt

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Take the CS week while you can. It is really only available now because they recently expanded. It may not stay this way for future years.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It looks like some of the II room codes are included in the Marriott sticky thread.

Marriott.com shows the following three bedroom types that can be reserved:
  • Penthouse, Gulf front
  • 3rd - 5th floor, Poolside
  • 6th - 15th floor, Poolside,
  • 3rd - 5th floor, Island side
  • 6th - 15th floor, Island side

The TUG Marriott Sticky thread shows:
  • TBOF....Crystal Shores..............Gulf Front.........2BR unit.
  • TBBV....Crystal Shores..............Gulf Front.........3BR Penthouse unit.
  • TWOS....Crystal Shores..............Gulf Side..........2BR unit.
  • TBOV....Crystal Shores..............Gulf View..........2BR unit.
  • TOBT....Crystal Shores..............6-15 FL............2BR unit.
  • TOGA....Crystal Shores..............3-5 FL.............2BR unit.
  • TOBR....Crystal Shores..............Island Side........2BR unit.
  • THBR....Crystal Shores..............Poolside 6-15 FL...3BR unit.
  • THVI....Crystal Shores..............Poolside 3-5 FL....3BR unit.
Mine shows TBBV, I should know only be so lucky and get it.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you everyone for all your input. After all these years I never ventured to crystal shores just for a peek.

As a family we read all your advice and will be going to crystal shores for the experience.

Now the big decision is where to deposit my unit, in hgvc or interval?

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
Mine shows TBBV, I should know only be so lucky and get it.

I believe you will get it as assigned. However, you may get spoiled!

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deposit it in rci. I have an ongoing search in. Or I can come visit you at crystal shores

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Deposit it in rci. I have an ongoing search in. Or I can come visit you at crystal shores
RCI directly doesn’t give me enough tpu’s. If I put it in hgvc it will never get to RCI. I am leaning toward Inteval as it will give me a good trade foe a winter 2020 week.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I saw the deposits of that resort, but we cannot go in December, we already have Hilton SeaWorld for 12/1-12/8, and that is too much time away from home during Christmas, according to Rick, which is too bad. Rick decorates our house for the holidays, not all that un-similar to Clark Griswold's crazy decorations. :)