• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which US resorts charge [EXCHANGERS] mandatory resort fees when you exchange in to them?

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
I'd like to know which resorts charge Exchange Guests additional mandatory fees at check-in.

This is not about mandatory AI (all-inclusive) resorts, which are designated as such on exchange company websites. It's possible to select or de-select these pretty easily. But other, individual mandatory fees charged by resorts to exchange guests are less obvious. They require opening the actual resort description and looking for Fee information.

Please share what you know about mandatory resort fees charged to timeshare exchange guests on arrival. Here are some examples:

Wyndham Vacation Resorts At National Harbor, Oxon Hill, MD: self-parking $20/day/car
Wyndham Kingsgate, Williamsburg, VA: resort fee $6/day/unit
Wyndham Smugglers Notch, Smugglers Notch, VT: resort fee $10-$50/unit (per unit size)

Thanks for sharing, Tuggers! :thumbup:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We have exchanged to VV in Weston, FL. They charge $25.00 resort fee. They have activities and charge for them too. One time we were there and they had a cook out, because it rained just after they cooked the food. It was complimentary since lot of the families went back inside.
We also had ice cream sundaes $4.00 and Bingo was $5.00.
We are going there again soon.
Silentg

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think most Vacation village timeshares have the $25 per week fee:
Vacation Village at Parkway
Grandview
The Colonies in Williamsburg
Williamsburg Plantation
Vacation Village at Weston
Cliffs at Peace Canyon
Mizner Place at Weston
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Vacation Village in the Berkshires

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Hilton has recently added daily resort fees to most of their resorts.
Diamond has resort fees at many resorts.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think DVC (Disney) is now doing this as well:
weekly usage fee is 190.00 U.S. dollars.
  • Mandatory due at check-in At DVC resort

I'm trying to get a list of which HGVC resorts charge the daily fee now. Not all due, but RCI's website isn't being nice to me right now.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Manhattan Club
Grand Pacific resorts

And various resorts also charge a housekeeping fee for RCI Points Reservations.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm appalled that one of my resorts on the Outer Banks started charging a $125 cleaning fee for RCI exchange guests. What?!!! I'm not talking about for a partial RCI Points stay cleaning fee. Any and all exchangers will be charged this fee at check-in. This resort has had ultra low maintenance fees forever. I guess they are still trying to keep the maintenance fees ridiculously low and add new income by saddling exchangers with this obnoxious cleaning fee. The resort is Ocean Pines in Duck.

The former Gold Key Resorts (now Diamond Resorts) in Virginia Beach and Kitty Hawk, NC have daily amenity fees for exchangers. They vary by resort. I had a welcome surprise when I checked in as an exchanger in March at the Kitty Hawk resort (Beachwoods). The $25 daily amenity fee was waived since I am an owner at Beachwoods. This is a new initiative.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Grand Summit at Sunday River in Maine charges a housekeeping fee to all RCI reservations...weeks/points both. It ranges from $201 for a studio to $261 for a 3BR. You can not opt out. (I do not usually have housekeeping come in when we are timesharing. Still had to pay the fee.) We will never go back.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Out of curiosity, were these all disclosed prior to you making a reservation?

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hilton Grand Vacations Club At Tuscany Village
Resort ID: 6309
8122 Arrezzo Way
Orlando, FL 32821
USA

$25 per day amenities charge. It was on the RCI website.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score

Re: Ocean Pines in Duck, NC: The policy changed after a reservation was made and I was notified by RCI that this fee would be charged. This was an RCI Points Home Week reservation. I contacted the resort and was told that it would not be charged to me since it was my Home Week. It is now disclosed by RCI, as are the Diamond Resorts daily amenity fees. As long as it is disclosed, I'm cool with it. It's my decision at the point whether I'm willing to accept the added fees. Not disclosed; then that's not acceptable.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The policy changed after my reservation was made. The only way out was to cancel the reservation. We chose to go and make the best of it...but as I said, we will never return. I don't mind a modest resort or activities fee...but over $200 for housekeeping that I wasn't using was over the top. It was the HOA's decision to pass those fees on to the exchangers. :/

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
The policy changed after my reservation was made. The only way out was to cancel the reservation. We chose to go and make the best of it...but as I said, we will never return. I don't mind a modest resort or activities fee...but over $200 for housekeeping that I wasn't using was over the top. It was the HOA's decision to pass those fees on to the exchangers. :/

They will usually honor the terms at the time the reservation is made, its important to print the original reservation document.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They will usually honor the terms at the time the reservation is made, its important to print the original reservation document.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Umm...NOPE. This made sense to those of us who are reasonable, thinking folk. :) But not to the Grand Summit! Believe you me, I went with every piece of paper I had....I'm no novice. Worked my way up to the top of the house. "It's a decision made by the HOA. I can not help you." Fine. We won't go back. Other fish in the sea!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
DRI (Diamond) charged us $70 ($80.78 including tax) in resort fees, and put a hold on a CC for $200 (?) for 'incidentals or damage' at Santa Fe, NM recently.

Jim

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes...this was posted AFTER my reservation was made. It's been a couple of years since we've been. I'd made the reservation almost 2 years in advance, and the policy changed in the mean time. The resort would not honor what was in effect at the time my reservation was made. No worries.

Lisa P

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
In Fees...
Yes...this was posted AFTER my reservation was made... the policy changed in the mean time. The resort would not honor what was in effect at the time my reservation was made. No worries.
Sorry to disagree but I could not say "no worries". Once the exchange is confirmed, the contract is set. If RCI contacted us prior to check-in to say that we were now going to be subject to a new fee $xyz, I'd be very, very upset. Unless RCI had an exceptional alternative resort available at the last minute, we could be forced into either paying the fee or cancelling the trip for which possible purchase airfare and for which we had already gotten approved time off from work. This is so unacceptable! Shame on that Diamond resort!!!!

Last edited:

Lisa P

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Grand Summit at Sunday River in Maine charges a housekeeping fee to all RCI reservations...weeks/points both. It ranges from $201 for a studio to $261 for a 3BR. You can not opt out. (I do not usually have housekeeping come in when we are timesharing. Still had to pay the fee.) We will never go back.
That sounds steep for a timeshare. Is this for daily, hotel-style housekeeping service?

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry to disagree but I could not say "no worries". Once the exchange is confirmed, the contract is set. If RCI contacted us prior to check-in to say that we were now going to be subject to a new fee $xyz, I'd be very, very upset. Unless RCI had an exceptional alternative resort available at the last minute, we could be forced into either paying the fee or cancelling the trip for which possible purchase airfare and for which we had already gotten approved time off from work. This is so unacceptable! Shame on that Diamond resort!!!!
It's a Boyne resort...not Diamond. And yes, back when this all happened, I did all of the things you mentioned, both for several months before checking in, and then once we got there. I got nowhere. I had to decide to continue to be upset, let it ruin my vacation, or to pay this once, and then let my future dollars talk. We'll never spend another cent on that particular place. There was no other alternative of a place to stay. It was a summer-in-Maine reservation, and it was a sleeps 8 unit. Those are hard to come by, especially within 6 months. I'm over it!

Yes, it is for daily hotel-style housekeeping....use it or not, still have to pay.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Do you think they are charging fees because owners are not paying maintenance fees?

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes...this was posted AFTER my reservation was made. It's been a couple of years since we've been. I'd made the reservation almost 2 years in advance, and the policy changed in the mean time. The resort would not honor what was in effect at the time my reservation was made. No worries.
I was answering to bbodb1 question but I miss-read his/her question. I read "where" but he/she wrote "were".
Sorry

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There was a time where when you exchanged, you were exchanging what you owned for what the other person owned. You get what they pay for and they get what you pay for. It hasn't been this way for a long time. Exchanging is now just another way to make a reservation at a different resort. No guaranty you will actually get the same amenities that the owner pays for.