• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Maui Resort?

baf99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort
Blue Whale
I am planning a two week GPX exchange for next February or March to either Kauai or Maui. GPX is really my only choice for this vacation since I have two expiring weeks. Current availability shows that I would probably have to have a single night hotel in between to do a two island stay, and I have already been to Kauai so spending two weeks on Maui could work out. My sister may come for a week using midweek flights so to avoid having her spend much of her vacation transitioning between lodgings having a single resort stay seems best.

Available timeshares I am finding on Maui are Kahana Beach Resort (studio only), Kahana Villa (1 BR) and Maui Beach Vacation Club (1 BR). If just myself I would probably go for either the Kahana Beach Resort or the Maui Beach Vacation Club. My sister will probably be more comfortable with air conditioning. Does anyone have any thoughts on the comfort of the sofa bed in any of these resorts or of the temperature (probably in March)? Will we possibly have an ocean view in any of these resorts?

I have checked the TUG reviews, but other than KBR the reviews are mostly several years old. Any new info will be helpful.

Thanks.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
First, let me say I'm not familiar with any of these, meaning I haven't stayed in any of them.

Next, how lucky you have a chance to trade into something in March! That is during the prime whale time on Maui. That is the time of year we go and we love it. The weather is generally very nice (I say generally because this year we hit some very odd weather). It doesn't get much warmer than mid-80s during the day, and you may even need a light wrap at night. We generally do not use the a/c during March, just opening the doors and windows and using the ceiling fan is enough.

We own in Kihei, so we're partial to that area so my choice would be the Maui Beach Vacation Club. If it boils down to wanting a/c it looks like this resort doesn't have it, but the Kahana Villa does. As to views, I really don't know. I think they both sit across the street from the ocean, with the Maui Beach Vacation Club there is nothing on the ocean side of the street to block any potential views from the units.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
The KBR 1br's are all oceanfront. I think the reviewers have liked the sofa-beds....think it has 2 baths.

I think the reviewer was @rickandcindy23 so you might ask them some questions...

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The KBR 1br's are all oceanfront. I think the reviewers have liked the sofa-beds....think it has 2 baths.

I think the reviewer was @rickandcindy23 so you might ask them some questions...
I didn't throw that one into the mix because it was a studio. Unless the OP and her sister want to share a bed, I'd go for one of the one-bedroom choices.

baf99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Whale
Thanks for the quick responses. I think the KBR studio does have a sofa bed, but since most reviews describe the studio as small, it could be an obstacle course when both the Murphy bed and sofa bed are open. I would be interested in finding out if someone has tried that and found it to be possible of course. If a 1BR was available I don't think I would have a question. If the Murphy bed was a king it would probably work. But in the post by @rickandcindy23 I see that both the Murphy and sofa beds are queens so we would probably be using both.

While views are nice to have, they aren't essential since mostly we will be out sight seeing.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks for the quick responses. I think the KBR studio does have a sofa bed, but since most reviews describe the studio as small, it could be an obstacle course when both the Murphy bed and sofa bed are open. I would be interested in finding out if someone has tried that and found it to be possible of course. If a 1BR was available I don't think I would have a question. If the Murphy bed was a king it would probably work. But in the post by @rickandcindy23 I see that both the Murphy and sofa beds are queens so we would probably be using both.

While views are nice to have, they aren't essential since mostly we will be out sight seeing.
Have you already seen the floor plans for KBR? It does say the studios have a murphy bed and a fold out sofa. From the floor plan it does look like it would be tight, but they say it can sleep up to four. Dh and I stayed in a studio at the Coronado Beach Resort this past April and they honestly said it would sleep two. There was a sofa, but there was no way it would even fold out when the murphy bed was down.

http://www.kahanabeach.com/suites/

baf99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Whale
Thanks. I had gone to the resort link from GPX but it must have been different because there were no floor plans. This looks like it would be tight but it should work.

I'll check with my sister to see if she has a preference.