• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Island for 1st Trip?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We are considering a mid May trip in 2019 but have never been before and the more I read the more indecisive I become on which island to choose. We thought about the multi-island cruise but prefer to use our timeshare. We want to use our Worldmark points but can also use Club Pass for Wyndham if there is any availability. I'd like to book WM at the 13 mos. window (coming up soon) then try to switch to Wyndham at 9 mos. In order to book flights early, I probably should only consider the islands which have both. I think that is the Big Island and Kauai only. Or I could just book WM on Maui and stick with that, or try (and possibly miss out) on Oahu using Club Pass. This may be our only trip ever to Hawaii. We also have DVC we could use for Aulani on Oahu at 7 mos. but don't have enough points for a full week. I know if will have to book WM as soon as it's available. Does anyone know what Wyndham availability might be at 9 mos. out?

We have been all over the place in Hawaii. One thing for sure, the Norweigen Cruise Line intinery for Pride of America does a good job of letting a person get a taste of everything. We did this trip a long time ago. We rented cars and went to places we like.

If your going to use Worldmark I would suggest Kona or Kihei. Both resorts are nice. I like Kihei better. The WM Valley Isle in West Maui is really nice and very close to the ocean.

Bill

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
I can't tell you how many times I've described Honolulu and the Waikiki area as Houston with a beach!
Well maybe I'll love it then cause Houston is home for me

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Hawaii-loving Tuggers, am I being delusional in believing that a week on Oahu, based out of Honolulu, could be a great choice if mostly exploring outside of the city?

Based on your personal experiences, would you drop the exchange to HNL and head straight to Maui for two weeks (or Maui and Kauai)? Would you plan to use the exchange for a shortened week on Oahu (experiencing the city area only), then head to Maui for a longer stay?
I think this is great advice. Anyone going to Hawaii for only one time should not miss Oahu, but 3 days is enough. I would suggest a shortened time on Oahu, based in Honolulu, and then a week in Maui (or the Big Island if volcanoes are your thing). No one has the same opinion on where to go. For us, Kauai is a beautiful gem, but nowhere near as compelling for a first time (or only) visit as the other islands.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this is great advice. Anyone going to Hawaii for only one time should not miss Oahu, but 3 days is enough. I would suggest a shortened time on Oahu, based in Honolulu, and then a week in Maui (or the Big Island if volcanoes are your thing). No one has the same opinion on where to go. For us, Kauai is a beautiful gem, but nowhere near as compelling for a first time (or only) visit as the other islands.

We have decided to spend two weeks on Maui. An exchange came through that coordinated with great flights, whale season, a holiday and Valentine's Day. :D We visited the Big Island in 2015, along with Kauai, and loved the visits to each. Maybe next time for Oahu. Big cities, traffic and large crowds cause both of us a bit of anxiety. No need to try to fit square pegs in a round hole, when there's other options. :cool:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We have decided to spend two weeks on Maui. An exchange came through that coordinated with great flights, whale season, a holiday and Valentine's Day. :D We visited the Big Island in 2015, along with Kauai, and loved the visits to each. Maybe next time for Oahu. Big cities, traffic and large crowds cause both of us a bit of anxiety. No need to try to fit square pegs in a round hole, when there's other options. :cool:

Sounds like you scored a nice exchange. I think anyone who has previously visited Hawaii knows what appeals to them, and will decide which island is the one to go back to. The problem with a first time visitor, as the OP is, is how to decide which island is best for a first time visit. Yes, when you break it down, laying on a beach is pretty much the same anywhere. But it's the rest of the experience that comes into play. What do you see when you turn around and face away from the ocean?

I never tire of visiting Oahu, because I know how to get away from the crowds. But each of the other islands are just as interesting, and deserve their own time to explore. My trip next month will be to Maui and the Big Island. Last trip it was Oahu and Kauai. The time before that was Oahu and the Big Island. Changing it up keeps it interesting. For me, that's one of the things I like best about visiting Hawaii - there is always a new variation on a visit to enjoy.

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Just an FYI- when we went to Hawaii for the second time (to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary),we did two islands- Kauai and the Big Island. HOWEVER- because our flights to and from from NY were based in Oahu- on the way back we took a red eye flight, which gave us quite a few hours to spend in Oahu before leaving for home. SO- we did the Pearl Harbor thing then- took a bus from the airport- and then another bus to Honolulu for dinner and browsing around and then back to the airport.

My husband and I had been to Oahu once before for our honeymoon (along with the 3 other main islands) and already had been to Pearl Harbor- but this time- we had our son with us and wanted him to see it.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
My personal favorite is the Big Island. I love what others do not. I think all the lava fields are really interesting, understanding the age and history of the flows, and how they actually flowed down and built up the islands. The active flank of Kilauea in Volcanoes National Park is also fascinating. Land is actually expanding and being added to the island.

The massive Mauna Loa, which make up the bulk of the 5 volcanoes that formed the Big Island. Both it and Mauna Kea are both nearly 14,000 ft high. Those high peaks basically create a desert on one side of the island and a much more lush environment on the other side.

Since the Volcanoes here are the youngest of all of the island, you can see how island building is created, and how as you move to Maui, it next youngest neighbor, you can even see the differences between the Haleakala and the West Maui which are heavily eroded.

I am a diver, and I find the diving and snorkeling the best off the big island. This make it my top pick of all of the islands. I would rather spend my day under water than actually at the beach itself. The Big island has some rather unique beaches, but it is not a beach mecca like its neighbors. It is just too young of an island to have had time to accumulate as much sand and beach as the others islands.

But each island is unique and has its own appeal. A lot of people LOVE Maui. While I like Maui, I dislike that there is lots of tourists,. Oahu I like for a couple of days at most, as their is a lot of new history there, but I have spent nearly 2.5 weeks there over the last 20 year period. Kauai is rugged and laid back. Which has a different appeal.

I have visited Hawaii 7 times and have spent over 11 weeks there over all of the major islands. You just have to figure out what fits into your sweet spot.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
One thing I used do is take a cruise or package tour to an area I hadn’t visited previously. It was a easy way to sample various areas to decide where to visit for a longer time. Since I’ve been to most places I want to go, I no longer use cruises/tours to explore.

So.......one might take an inter-island cruise to see which island matches what they like.

Cheers

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
We went to Hawaii for the first time last Summer. I chose Maui for our week stay and then booked two days on Oahu. We enjoyed Maui but we really loved Oahu.

One thing to consider is that Hawaii is the most remote place on earth. It's literally the farthest land mass from any other land mass in the world. So, while Oahu is very populated and it might feel too busy for a relaxing vacation, for us it was the right balance between feeling like we 'got away from it all' but still felt connected to regular modern life. Also, if you go to Oahu, explore the whole island. Don't feel like you have to stay in the big city. For us, also, Oahu had more of an international vibe whereas Maui felt VERY American.

Whatever you decide, please take these safety recommendation very seriously:
http://www.hawaiibeachsafety.com/

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone has their favorite. Best thing to know is that all are great. Also don't assume this will be your only trip. We made our only trip, for me reluctantly, in 2010, to the Big Island. We've only been back six times for a total over 9 weeks and the next in November-December.

We have been to the Big Island, Kauai, Oahu and for the first time we will be going to Maui. I've become a bit of a Hawaii vacation junky, and am always asking friends and relatives about their favorite island. I'd say overwhelmingly the say Maui. In fact most of them have never been to another island. I think for TS Maui probably offers the most options for access to the best beaches.

Although we bought at the Kona Coast Resort, Shell Vacations Club prior to Wyndham buying Shell, we often split our stays on the BI between TS and VRBO rental on South Kohala Coast. Most BI timeshares are in the Kailua-Kona area, which doesn't have much in the way of beaches or great snorkeling. We still like it though.

Oahu is way more than Honolulu and Waikiki. We stayed on the North Shore there, but will be staying the last four nights on the next trip at Shell's TS on Waikiki.

Kauai has many TS possibilities and is breathtakingly beautiful.

We look forward to Maui, and expect it to match our other experiences. The one option that I think makes the least sense, is a cruise. At least for most people. It's like a tour, you are always on a schedule, plus you can't really enjoy the islands.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I think the best variety for you for a first trip would be Kauai and The Big Island. Do both. Or The Big Island and Maui would be the second choice.

I have been to all of the islands- but second trip we did Kauai and The Big Island- and we took a red eye back home to NY- which allowed us some layover time in Oahu to go see Pearl harbor and Honolulu- since the main flights go out of there anyway.