• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
We like the Marriott Waiohai location, the onsite swimmable beach and the fact you can see the sunset from the resort grounds. The units are nice but as a trader getting a unit with a lagoon or resort view (only once years ago did we get an oceanview) and not the dreaded Brenneke's parking lot view is always a struggle. The Kauai/Lihue resort is not to our liking as it is highrise hotel and the beach is boring.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Yes that is why the deals in Mexico are so much better for those of us who can tolerate the risk - and who know how to negotiate with the timeshare developers. The timeshare developers have offered me a job after I have bought from them - LOL!

WOW HANKMOON!!!! This sound so fabulous. Tell me more. How do I buy?

Will they salute me on their hearts too?

Oh joy. I can sell my Awful Marriott and be treated like a KING in Mexico. Or better yet, a KINGPIN. or a CZAR. Yes that's it, a CZAR.

Perhaps they will hire me too if I only sign up for Vidanta. Hail Vidanta.
upload_2017-10-18_16-51-37.png

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW HANKMOON!!!! This sound so fabulous. Tell me more. How do I buy?

Will they salute me on their hearts too?

Oh joy. I can sell my Awful Marriott and be treated like a KING in Mexico. Or better yet, a KINGPIN. or a CZAR. Yes that's it, a CZAR.

Perhaps they will hire me too if I only sign up for Vidanta. Hail Vidanta.
View attachment 4962

I think you are funny! You are probably happy with your Marriott!

My advice to Vidanta has been to stop letting timeshare owners to exchange into the Grand Luxxe. It is cheapening the brand. A Marriott is equivalent to a Grand Mayan or Grand Bliss, not a Grand Luxxe.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Yes, I am.

Frankly, I would like to exchange to Luxxe sometime....but I can never figure out what it is I might be getting.
Someday, I'll settle that out.

I'll make you a deal: you exchange into an Ocean Front Maui Lahaina Tower 2br/3br during whale season and let me know what you think.
Of course, I'm not sure you'll ever find one.

Someday, I'll hit the Luxxe or the other one with the private chef/butler and let you know my impression. If I can convince my wife to head SOTB.

cheers.

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am.

Frankly, I would like to exchange to Luxxe sometime....but I can never figure out what it is I might be getting.
Someday, I'll settle that out.

I'll make you a deal: you exchange into an Ocean Front Maui Lahaina Tower 2br/3br during whale season and let me know what you think.
Of course, I'm not sure you'll ever find one.

Someday, I'll hit the Luxxe or the other one with the private chef/butler and let you know my impression. If I can convince my wife to head SOTB.

cheers.

The Marriotts in Maui are available for sale on Expedia and TUG and elsewhere. I do not think we would stay at a Marriott in Maui anyway Last time we were in Maui, we stayed at the Grand Wailea. If we go to Maui again, we were considering either Four Seasons or Fairmont Keo Lani. When we go to Hawaii, we always stay at a different resort or condo and it is always 4.5 - 5 star.

We do not do exchanges. We stay where we purchase to guarantee the quality. We would not buy a timeshare in a specific resort in Maui because then we would be stuck unless we did exchanges. We are not the type to ever rent out our timeshare either.

We like buying into vacation clubs, not timeshares, because you get a choice of many properties, even if it costs more.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I know this is a Hawaii forum but we have been to Hawaii and all the islands at least 8 times. We usually stay at 4 and 5 star resorts equivalent or better than the Marriotts. This year, we decided to explore Mexico and we have decided that Mexico blows Hawaii away for many reasons: better beaches (on Caribbean side), equivalent or better scenery in Puerto Vallarta, much more affordable on both sides, better restaurants, and much nicer resorts/facilities. The 4 and 5 star time shares and vacation clubs in Mexico are on the AAA 4 diamond and 5 diamond lists. They are simply amazing. We were going to buy a Marriott timeshare on TUG but we decided to buy a Grand Luxxe instead. We also own a 2 bedroom lock off with Occidental that allows us to travel all over Mexico as well as Aruba, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic and more and the quality of the First Club 2 bedrooms are better than the Marriotts because we are guaranteed an Ocean View and treated like royalty when we visit. I do not understand why the Mexican timeshares have such a bad reputation. I do know that Vidanta is rated #1 and Occidental is rated #2 as the top Mexican vacation clubs (timeshares). Occidental is the most incredible deal in my opinion since Barcelo bought them. We got so many perks and extra weeks, free days every year and special perks in our membership because we bought a 2 bedroom. We have the choice of 120 properties all over the world with one phone call. Grand Luxxe only has two locations (although Vidanta has 7 locations) but they are planning major expansion of the Grand Luxxe brand. The entry level price for Grand Luxxe is like buying a Marriott in Hawaii right now but you get 3 weeks a year and 2 weeks a year with their trading partner (to travel worldwide) with no mandatory fees. Plus a bunch of other perks. Also, with the trading partners, you can exchange a lower level Vidanta resort if you want or pay a lower exchange fee than a Marriott for trading purposes. The service at both of our Mexican clubs is out of this world as members. At the Marriotts, you are not treated special. It is a 4 star American corporation. At Vidanta, every employee puts their heart across their heart when they greet you, no matter what level resort you are staying at. It is a very nice tradition.
Opinions are great. Living in Texas means Mexico is just a short flight away. We’ve stayed in both the Caribbean and the Pacific side, many resorts. Most people don’t realize how HOT it is twelve months out of the year. I mean stifling heat and humidity. And how hard it is to get a legitimate drink there. Even at the 5 Stars.... And the food. Really?? The all inclusives are mostly mediocre to terrible. There are a few decent restaurants, but very few and those are EXPENSIVE. A friend just got back from a week trip to Cabo, they’ve been going for years. He told me they are done, never again. According to him Cabo has gotten extremely expensive. Mexico compared to Hawaii....?? Really?

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Opinions are great. Living in Texas means Mexico is just a short flight away. We’ve stayed in both the Caribbean and the Pacific side, many resorts. Most people don’t realize how HOT it is twelve months out of the year. I mean stifling heat and humidity. And how hard it is to get a legitimate drink there. Even at the 5 Stars.... And the food. Really?? The all inclusives are mostly mediocre to terrible. There are a few decent restaurants, but very few and those are EXPENSIVE. A friend just got back from a week trip to Cabo, they’ve been going for years. He told me they are done, never again. According to him Cabo has gotten extremely expensive. Mexico compared to Hawaii....?? Really?

Which timeshares in Mexico? I heard the Iberostar is having contaminated alcohol problems. There are many bad timeshares in Mexico, I know. There are also many bad timeshares in the USA. The Manhattan Club just got in trouble for running a scam. In the USA and Hawaii, many of the timeshares are running very old properties and not well maintained.

I grew up in South Florida so the weather in Mexico and Caribbean is no different from Florida. Hawaii is also humid compared to Northern California, where we live now. I love the really hot weather on the Caribbean side of Mexico because I can swim in the water in the hot summer. I tend to be very cold and unless the water is 80+, I will not swim. Hawaii and the Pacific Coast are too cold for me usually. Also Hawaii and the Pacific Coast do not have clear water. I prefer the Caribbean side of Mexico and the islands of the Caribbean for swimming, scuba diving and water clarity. I also love French Polynesia for water clarity as well as their overwater bungalows. But there are no timeshares in French Polynesia (except one rundown timeshare in Moorea). We've been there twice but not on timeshare vacations. I must say, French Polynesia is one of our favorite places in the world.

For some reason, Hawaii just does not have clear calm waters. We were just on the north shore of Oahu and stayed in an oceanfront first floor condo in Turtle Bay. We were very disappointed by the lack of clear water. It was August so the water was as warm as it gets in Hawaii. There was no visibility.

We stopped by Marriott Ko Olina and did a timeshare tour, which was pleasant and no pressure at all. The rooms are very nice there but the resort has nothing to do and only two restaurants. There is very little nearby. Sales agents say it is the best Marriott of them all but situated on the wrong island. We had lunch there and it was okay but very expensive, as is everything in Hawaii.

My favorite timeshare resort in Hawaii is the Westin Princeville. We paid to stay there a few years ago and got an ocean view one bedroom for a very reasonable price - about $300 per night plus tax on Expedia. I really enjoyed it because there is a lot to do in Princeville and you get privileges to use the St Regis hotel's beach since it is part of the Westin. Princeville is gorgeous. The Westin is a step above the Marriott in quality.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
@Hankmoon said
We like buying into vacation clubs, not timeshares, because you get a choice of many properties, even if it costs more.

Aaaaah. The Vacation club rears it's ugly head again.
I think I smell a troll. Again.

Enjoy your chat folks. Bye Bye.

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not a troll. I am a full fledged member of TUG and a worldwide traveler. I have a lot of travel experience all over the world on all continents so I like to comment. It's fun! I am new to timeshares and frankly, I do not like most timeshares. I have been to Hawaii at least 7+ times! I work full time yet we travel at least 8 weeks a year out of the country/state and almost every weekend. We are active travelers! I would hope TUG members would value my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, just tune me out.

P.S. USA just stopped travel visas to Turkey. My other favorite place in the world is Istanbul. We stayed at the Ciragan Palace Kempinski on the Bosphorus River a few years ago and I must say it was truly one of the few real 5 star experiences of my life. Other hotels claim to be 5 stars but they are not. Turkey is amazing. It is so sad to me that Americans can no longer travel to Turkey.

I know this is a Hawaii forum but my point in I am not a troll and I hope my opinions will be valued since I have traveled extensively all over the world. I only have a few favorite places in the world. Very few are timeshares, yet I believe some timeshares are excellent.

Last edited:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Which timeshares in Mexico? I heard the Iberostar is having contaminated alcohol problems. There are many bad timeshares in Mexico, I know. There are also many bad timeshares in the USA. The Manhattan Club just got in trouble for running a scam. In the USA and Hawaii, many of the timeshares are running very old properties and not well maintained.

I grew up in South Florida so the weather in Mexico and Caribbean is no different from Florida. Hawaii is also humid compared to Northern California, where we live now. I love the really hot weather on the Caribbean side of Mexico because I can swim in the water in the hot summer. I tend to be very cold and unless the water is 80+, I will not swim. Hawaii and the Pacific Coast are too cold for me usually. Also Hawaii and the Pacific Coast do not have clear water. I prefer the Caribbean side of Mexico and the islands of the Caribbean for swimming, scuba diving and water clarity. I also love French Polynesia for water clarity as well as their overwater bungalows. But there are no timeshares in French Polynesia (except one rundown timeshare in Moorea). We've been there twice but not on timeshare vacations. I must say, French Polynesia is one of our favorite places in the world.

For some reason, Hawaii just does not have clear calm waters. We were just on the north shore of Oahu and stayed in an oceanfront first floor condo in Turtle Bay. We were very disappointed by the lack of clear water. It was August so the water was as warm as it gets in Hawaii. There was no visibility.

We stopped by Marriott Ko Olina and did a timeshare tour, which was pleasant and no pressure at all. The rooms are very nice there but the resort has nothing to do and only two restaurants. There is very little nearby. Sales agents say it is the best Marriott of them all but situated on the wrong island. We had lunch there and it was okay but very expensive, as is everything in Hawaii.

My favorite timeshare resort in Hawaii is the Westin Princeville. We paid to stay there a few years ago and got an ocean view one bedroom for a very reasonable price - about $300 per night plus tax on Expedia. I really enjoyed it because there is a lot to do in Princeville and you get privileges to use the St Regis hotel's beach since it is part of the Westin. Princeville is gorgeous. The Westin is a step above the Marriott in quality.
Hard to name all of the Mexican resorts we have stayed at, but all of them served doctored Scotch. Not necessarily poison, but diluted/doctored. We live in Houston, so we know what heat and humidity are. Cancun/Cozumel are unbearably hot and humid. You either stay in the pool or water, or in your room.
We find much more to do on Oahu than Cancun/Cozumel. And the food is much better, and the liquor is legitimate.

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hard to name all of the Mexican resorts we have stayed at, but all of them served doctored Scotch. Not necessarily poison, but diluted/doctored. We live in Houston, so we know what heat and humidity are. Cancun/Cozumel are unbearably hot and humid. You either stay in the pool or water, or in your room.
We find much more to do on Oahu than Cancun/Cozumel. And the food is much better, and the liquor is legitimate.

Interesting. I have not had that experience in Mexico. I have had very positive experiences in Mexico with good food and drinks but we only stay in 4 - 5 star resorts. I have not found it to be that hot. To me, it is equivalent to Miami or San Diego. We were just in Oahu on the North Shore. We never went to Waikiki because that is not our style. We just stayed in Turtle Bay and did a sailing/snorkeling tour and a private horseback riding tour so we could trot and canter. Other than that, we watched the beach from the terrace of our ocean front condo and drank mai tais watching the sun set over the surfers. We decided we will never return to Oahu because it is too crowded for us. The North Shore was isolated in comparison to Waikiki but it was very dry. Oahu looks like it could use more rain.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting. I have not had that experience in Mexico. I have had very positive experiences in Mexico with good food and drinks but we only stay in 4 - 5 star resorts. I have not found it to be that hot. To me, it is equivalent to Miami or San Diego. We were just in Oahu on the North Shore. We never went to Waikiki because that is not our style. We just stayed in Turtle Bay and did a sailing/snorkeling tour and a private horseback riding tour so we could trot and canter. Other than that, we watched the beach from the terrace of our ocean front condo and drank mai tais watching the sun set over the surfers. We decided we will never return to Oahu because it is too crowded for us. The North Shore was isolated in comparison to Waikiki but it was very dry. Oahu looks like it could use more rain.
Turtle Bay is a nice resort, no doubt. We enjoy Oahu because of the variety of beaches, things to do, and the occasional visit to Waikiki. Surprised you haven’t experienced the heat/humidity in Mexico, it’s been miserable every time we’ve gone (except trips to Guadalajara, San Miguel, i.e. the mountains.). We probably won’t return to Mexico because there’s nothing to do there but hang out at the pool, go to the beach, and eat tasteless food and drink weak, diluted drinks. Maybe if we were divers we go back to Cozumel, that’s a quick dive destination from Houston. I think the Caribbean is calling....

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Turtle Bay is a nice resort, no doubt. We enjoy Oahu because of the variety of beaches, things to do, and the occasional visit to Waikiki. Surprised you haven’t experienced the heat/humidity in Mexico, it’s been miserable every time we’ve gone (except trips to Guadalajara, San Miguel, i.e. the mountains.). We probably won’t return to Mexico because there’s nothing to do there but hang out at the pool, go to the beach, and eat tasteless food and drink weak, diluted drinks. Maybe if we were divers we go back to Cozumel, that’s a quick dive destination from Houston. I think the Caribbean is calling....

I have experienced the heat and humidity of Mexico but being from Miami, it is no different. Plus I like the warm water so I prefer to visit Mexico and the Caribbean in May, June and early July before hurricane season. This is when it is warmest and most humid but the ocean is also warmest and I can swim and scuba dive without a wet suit. The heat and humidity in Mexico on the beaches is no different than the Caribbean islands. I do agree that Hawaii is a less humid and hot than Mexico but the water is also cooler and less clear than the Caribbean side of Mexico and the Caribbean islands. The color of the water at the North Beach at Isla de las Mujeres was the same clear green as in Bora Bora, believe it or not.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not a troll. I am a full fledged member of TUG and a worldwide traveler. I have a lot of travel experience all over the world on all continents so I like to comment. It's fun! I am new to timeshares and frankly, I do not like most timeshares. I have been to Hawaii at least 7+ times! I work full time yet we travel at least 8 weeks a year out of the country/state and almost every weekend. We are active travelers! I would hope TUG members would value my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, just tune me out.

P.S. USA just stopped travel visas to Turkey. My other favorite place in the world is Istanbul. We stayed at the Ciragan Palace Kempinski on the Bosphorus River a few years ago and I must say it was truly one of the few real 5 star experiences of my life. Other hotels claim to be 5 stars but they are not. Turkey is amazing. It is so sad to me that Americans can no longer travel to Turkey.

I know this is a Hawaii forum but my point in I am not a troll and I hope my opinions will be valued since I have traveled extensively all over the world. I only have a few favorite places in the world. Very few are timeshares, yet I believe some timeshares are excellent.
I'm not picking on you but let me say that you sound like someone new to timesharing. Further you sound like someone that's fairly new to timesharing, went to a sales tour and bought retail and believed much of what you were told by the sales staff. The amount of knowledge and experience here is amazing but anything you can bring to the table that's extra would be a great addition. I've been in timesharing for 20 years, travel almost as much as you over a number of timeshares and timeshare systems though my experiences are more US, MX and Caribbean based. Others here have a different knowledge base, often that's more than mine in many areas and likely less in some areas. And we all bring different expectations and personal situations. Timesharing in general and TUG specifically is a bit of a community. Members are quite commonly willing to go out of their way to help others, esp others within the community or thinking of joining.

Previously you mentioned exchange restrictions and it seems you believe them to be good for the members. Exchange restrictions are only aimed at and good for the developer/retail sales and either hurt the members or are at best neutral. Based on your stated travel accommodation expectations, I think most everyone here would have suggested you not buy a timeshare at all. Few timeshares will meet your expectations and it's likely even those that do now won't over time. And the likely expense to play in that circle will be dramatic long term. Most of us are OK with a limited amount of obligate compromise within timeshares up to a point like no housekeeping. And most of us are interested in savings and added value. In general timeshare people are either more resort or more location driven though on a continuum. Clearly you're a resort person, most aren't quite as far to the resort side as you are. I'd venture to say that for someone who feels the purpose built HI Marriott's (as an example) are not up to their resorts standards likely should not plan on traveling using timeshares because they are setting themselves up for disappointment. MX has a lot of great resorts that are easy to exchange into and have very low trade power for a reason.

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not picking on you but let me say that you sound like someone new to timesharing. Further you sound like someone that's fairly new to timesharing, went to a sales tour and bought retail and believed much of what you were told by the sales staff. The amount of knowledge and experience here is amazing but anything you can bring to the table that's extra would be a great addition. I've been in timesharing for 20 years, travel almost as much as you over a number of timeshares and timeshare systems though my experiences are more US, MX and Caribbean based. Others here have a different knowledge base, often that's more than mine in many areas and likely less in some areas. And we all bring different expectations and personal situations. Timesharing in general and TUG specifically is a bit of a community. Members are quite commonly willing to go out of their way to help others, esp others within the community or thinking of joining.

Previously you mentioned exchange restrictions and it seems you believe them to be good for the members. Exchange restrictions are only aimed at and good for the developer/retail sales and either hurt the members or are at best neutral. Based on your stated travel accommodation expectations, I think most everyone here would have suggested you not buy a timeshare at all. Few timeshares will meet your expectations and it's likely even those that do now won't over time. And the likely expense to play in that circle will be dramatic long term. Most of us are OK with a limited amount of obligate compromise within timeshares up to a point like no housekeeping. And most of us are interested in savings and added value. In general timeshare people are either more resort or more location driven though on a continuum. Clearly you're a resort person, most aren't quite as far to the resort side as you are. I'd venture to say that for someone who feels the purpose built HI Marriott's (as an example) are not up to their resorts standards likely should not plan on traveling using timeshares because they are setting themselves up for disappointment. MX has a lot of great resorts that are easy to exchange into and have very low trade power for a reason.

Yes I agree with you. I am not a traditional timeshare person and I am new to timesharing. I do not like the quality of most timeshares and do not exchange. I am an RCI and SFX member but will not exchange. I will occasionally purchase through a sale if something I like comes up. Yes, you are correct we have purchased our timeshares from the developers. We tried twice to purchase through TUG and we got burned the first time by the seller who lied to us. The second time, we came close to buying a Marriott trader but then decided buying to exchange would not be a fit for me since I would not be happy with the exchanging process. Plus, in the end, Marriott maintenance fees are not that cheap. You do save a little on the upfront fees by buying resale, but you do not save anything after that and you do not get any developer perks on the resale market.

The problem with buying a Marriott or Westin in Hawaii on the resale market if you want ocean view is you have to pay about $10,000+ and there are high MFs annually and can only go to that one specific resort. If you exchange, anything you exchange for is worth less. I know you can usually get the extra coupon for an extra free week but it must be used within a year and it has restrictions, I have heard.

I think buying a specific resort on the resale market is perfect for someone who has identified their favorite place and they want to visit it again and again. I think buying a trader is perfect for someone who is flexible and does not care so much about what resort or place they go. Traders are perfect for value oriented travelers.

I think exchange restrictions are good for those of us who paid a lot of money to buy into an expensive vacation clubs. I think exchanging should be "like for like." That is generally the policy of the exchange companies.

Last edited:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As you say above, we bought fixed week/units at Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch (San Antonio) and Hyatt Mainstreet Station (Breckenridge) because we want to go to these resorts every year at the same time with kids/grandkids. And we like Hyatt quality. We bought Marriott in Oahu because we want to go EOY, wanted OV. We have Wyndham points for the various locations (such as Flagstaff, Sedona, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Taos, San Antonio Riverwalk, New Orleans, Orlando, Washington DC, etc.) that we like to go to occasionally but at varied times. We sacrifice Hyatt/Westin/Marriott quality with Wyndham, but like the locations. We would never buy a TS in Mexico, because the all inclusive packages out of Houston (including air fare) are so cheap: sometimes less than $100/night/person (flight, food and room.). But as I said before, poor food, weak/doctored/fake drinks, and basically nothing to do there.
All of our Hyatt/Marriott/Wyndham TS provide us 2 or 3 BR units (w/kitchen) for less than we use to pay for one hotel room, which is extremely cost effective (and time effective, no waiting in lines for every meal, etc.) when traveling with family/friends.
We purchased all of these TS resale thanks to TUG, so we have a very small “investment” in all of these TS’s. We are exactly the perfect TS Owners you described above.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Well, I decided to reply against my better judgment.

I value the opinions of other Tuggers. I mean no personal offense to you.
If all that you have posted here is truly your opinion and not just another timeshare presentation for Vidanta, then you're entitled to your opinions.
I certainly do not agree with most of your statements, and I won't attack the Mexican violence/political situation in this forum. It's in the news; enough said.
As a matter of fact, I hope to visit the Luxxe or one of the similar high-end units, they look nice.

As for your remarks about Vidanta.... You said it best: 'they offered me a job...' and it sounds like you accepted. The misleading promises and promotions made by timeshare sales staff everywhere (not just SOTB) are the stuff of legends. Unlimited use of 5 star resorts... No mandatory fees, free upgrades, exchange anywhere anytime anyplace with just one phone call..... All the stuff of dreams and nonsense. Not all your words, but they've often been repeated here and elsewhere. My friends recently bought into one such "Vacation Club" in Mexico. Call it what it really is: Timeshare. I didn't have the heart to explain to them that what they purchased is now worth ZERO dollars or pesos and could have been achieved for much less money--or no money at all except for actual usage fees. Promises, promises.

So, let me summarize.

You post in the "US Hawaii Timesharing" forum: Which Marriott is best?
You then proceed to denigrate ALL US timeshares and specifically those in Hawaii...with a very special shout-out to Marriott and Maui and Oahu.
You then profess your complete contempt for most timeshares and the exchange process and ownership and, well, you get the picture

You then proceed to exorbitantly praise Mexican resorts...again, with a very special shout-out to Vidanta, Vidanta, Vidanta. It sounds like a stockholders meeting.
You then extoll the virtues of "Vacation Clubs" Otherwise known as TIMESHARES
You then extoll the virtues of "Trading Partners" and 'one phone call' reservations anywhere in the world. Otherwise known as EXCHANGING

Finally, your comments about the many perks and gifts and free hotel rooms for 25 years and royal treatment from the local 'hands over hearts club' (that's a bit creepy for me) is straight from the salesman's lips. Or Salesperson or staff or whatever. I hope it works out for you....many have discovered the hype and hoopla to be nothing more than that.

Perhaps you should shift your posting to the Mexican Timesharing thread, maybe your words will land on more fertile ground.

I've gotten quite a chuckle from reading your comments. Now perhaps it's time to head to the turquoise waters of the Baja or Yucatan or where ever you may find them in the global empire that is Vidanta
(insert evil empire music here, roll credits)

;)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think exchange restrictions are good for those of us who paid a lot of money to buy into an expensive high-end 5 star residence club like Grand Luxxe. I think exchanging should be "like for like." That is generally the policy of the exchange companies. Unfortunately, Grand Luxxe is making some mistakes right now and dumping too much inventory into the exchanges to try to make membership sales. Grand Luxxe owners are angry at Vidanta for doing this and trying to get them to stop.

I think you will learn very quickly that people who paid alot of money to the developers can get the same product, minus a few perks, in the resale market as well as through exchanges. As an owner who bought from the developer, you hate to see the expensive product that you paid for can be found for an exchange fees by owners of other products.

Developers have to drop inventory into exchange companies because 1) developers are holding on to too much unsold inventory and those can become money generator when potential buyers picked up these exchanges 2) owners want to exchange into something else.

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I decided to reply against my better judgment.

I value the opinions of other Tuggers. I mean no personal offense to you.
If all that you have posted here is truly your opinion and not just another timeshare presentation for Vidanta, then you're entitled to your opinions.
I certainly do not agree with most of your statements, and I won't attack the Mexican violence/political situation in this forum. It's in the news; enough said.
As a matter of fact, I hope to visit the Luxxe or one of the similar high-end units, they look nice.

As for your remarks about Vidanta.... You said it best: 'they offered me a job...' and it sounds like you accepted. The misleading promises and promotions made by timeshare sales staff everywhere (not just SOTB) are the stuff of legends. Unlimited use of 5 star resorts... No mandatory fees, free upgrades, exchange anywhere anytime anyplace with just one phone call..... All the stuff of dreams and nonsense. Not all your words, but they've often been repeated here and elsewhere. My friends recently bought into one such "Vacation Club" in Mexico. Call it what it really is: Timeshare. I didn't have the heart to explain to them that what they purchased is now worth ZERO dollars or pesos and could have been achieved for much less money--or no money at all except for actual usage fees. Promises, promises.

So, let me summarize.

You post in the "US Hawaii Timesharing" forum: Which Marriott is best?
You then proceed to denigrate ALL US timeshares and specifically those in Hawaii...with a very special shout-out to Marriott and Maui and Oahu.
You then profess your complete contempt for most timeshares and the exchange process and ownership and, well, you get the picture

You then proceed to exorbitantly praise Mexican resorts...again, with a very special shout-out to Vidanta, Vidanta, Vidanta. It sounds like a stockholders meeting.
You then extoll the virtues of "Vacation Clubs" Otherwise known as TIMESHARES
You then extoll the virtues of "Trading Partners" and 'one phone call' reservations anywhere in the world. Otherwise known as EXCHANGING

Finally, your comments about the many perks and gifts and free hotel rooms for 25 years and royal treatment from the local 'hands over hearts club' (that's a bit creepy for me) is straight from the salesman's lips. Or Salesperson or staff or whatever. I hope it works out for you....many have discovered the hype and hoopla to be nothing more than that.

Perhaps you should shift your posting to the Mexican Timesharing thread, maybe your words will land on more fertile ground.

I've gotten quite a chuckle from reading your comments. Now perhaps it's time to head to the turquoise waters of the Baja or Yucatan or where ever you may find them in the global empire that is Vidanta
(insert evil empire music here, roll credits)

;)

I was joking about the job. I would never work for a timeshare company! They do have sleazy sales tactics. I agree with you. I went back and edited out as many of the Vidanta comments as I could so I don't sound like a promoter. Unfortunately, it was too late to edit some of my earlier posts. (The perks I received were true but I took it out since no one believes me. I will keep it as my secret.)

I still do think Hawaii is over-rated and expensive for what you get. I think French Polynesia (Bora Bora, Moorea, Tahaa, Tahiti) is a better value for the money than Hawaii and much more beautiful - overwater bungalows, clear water, less crowded, exotic culture, good food, etc. On RCI, folks can exchange or purchase a week on a Tradewinds cruise in Tahiti. I would highly recommend exchanging or trading for something in French Polynesia. We will one day do the Tradewinds cruise of French Polynesia. On the exchanges, the Tradewinds cruise is the only resort of quality in French Polynesia that I have seen so far. However, there are other places to stay in French Polynesia if one is not too picky. There is a place in Moorea that is a timeshare that is very basic in quality and it's in an excellent location that folks could exchange for.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Oh, please don't edit your posts based on my postings.
I really enjoy seeing the 'that was then....this is now' version of the postings.

Also, I agree that much of HI is overbuilt, touristy and has a high occupancy, thus wear. (I'm talking to you Oahu)
Yes, the islands a 'little' bit further west in the pond are certainly nice, but it's not practical for some of us east-coasters to dawdle in Bora Bora etc...

Anyway...my Falcon 2000 F2K timeshare jet is in the shop this month and I don't think Southwest is announcing service from Burbank to Fa'a'ā International anytime soon. So for now, I'll just have to make do with Ka'anapali beach.

Peace be unto you...

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

IMHO, the weather in the Riviera Maya is not the same as San Diego. and that's coming from someone who lives in San Diego. Maybe we get close to the same temperature during a rare day in the Summer, but not nowhere near the same humidity.
But getting back to the subject: favorite Marriott TS in Hawaii? The Marriott Maui Ocean Club!

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO, the weather in the Riviera Maya is not the same as San Diego. and that's coming from someone who lives in San Diego. Maybe we get close to the same temperature during a rare day in the Summer, but not nowhere near the same humidity.
But getting back to the subject: favorite Marriott TS in Hawaii? The Marriott Maui Ocean Club!

Riviera Maya is identical to Miami, where I have lived. I do not know San Diego so I should not have commented. I live in Northern California. No humidity up here.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Riviera Maya is identical to Miami, where I have lived. I do not know San Diego so I should not have commented. I live in Northern California. No humidity up here.
We will just have to agree to disagree on the assertion that the weather in “Riviera Maya is identical to Miami...”. The weather on Mexican coasts is unbearably hot and humid, much more so than on the Gulf Coast or the Atlantic Coast. It is oppressively hot and humid, down there, and I am used to heat and humidity living in Houston. And good luck finding air conditioning anywhere but your room or some (not all) of the restaurants. IMHO.