• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where to go...where to go

MissDaisy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Sands, Lawrence Welk
We are looking for an interesting locale to visit. We live in South Florida near the beach so an island vacation isn't ideal for us. We love being outdoors, love great restaurants and shopping at local venues.

We were thinking of Traverse City, MI Montreal, Quebed and Carlsbad, CA. They seem to be pretty difficult to trade into during high season.

Any locales to recommend that might be new and interesting? We are willing to go overseas as well - but prefer a higher rated timeshare 80 and above

I have a red week at Lawrence Welk (June) and a red week at Royal Sands(April) to trade.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
What time of year are you looking to travel, or are you open?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When do you want to go? We love the Palm Desert area but it is awfully hot in late spring through early fall.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We are looking for an interesting locale to visit. We live in South Florida near the beach so an island vacation isn't ideal for us. We love being outdoors, love great restaurants and shopping at local venues.

We were thinking of Traverse City, MI Montreal, Quebed and Carlsbad, CA. They seem to be pretty difficult to trade into during high season.

Any locales to recommend that might be new and interesting? We are willing to go overseas as well - but prefer a higher rated timeshare 80 and above

I have a red week at Lawrence Welk (June) and a red week at Royal Sands(April) to trade.
Banner Elk, NC is located in the beautiful NC mountains, great trails from easy to hard. Scenic drives, famous Grandfather Mountain and state parks too. Lots of small surrounfing towns with shopping and good restaurants. Blue Ridge Village is the timeshare I like going to, accomodations are mountainlike decor, to me a solid rating 8 out of 10.

MissDaisy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are retired - so we can travel anytime - but we want to go when the weather is lovely. Panina - thanks for suggesting Banner Elk. We have been all through NC as I used to live there!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We are retired - so we can travel anytime - but we want to go when the weather is lovely. Panina - thanks for suggesting Banner Elk. We have been all through NC as I used to live there!
Another place that would meet your criteria is kennebunk Maine. Favorite timeshare is Main 84 which is a 10.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You would have to check out timeshares, as that might limit you, but my suggestions would be Edinburgh Scotland, or Barcelona. Iirc, Hilton has a presence in Scotland and there at some Marriott linked properties in Barca. It sure wouldn't be 'just another beach'.I

Jim

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I'll put in my recommendation for Sedona, Arizona.
WAZI9-sedona-walking-hiking-tour-6.jpg

It seems to check off all of the OP's boxes:
WAZI9-sedona-walking-hiking-tour-2.jpg

• She loves being outdoors. Sedona has a ton of great hiking trails of varying degrees of terrain and difficulty. They are well-marked, well-maintained, and take you to some of the most breathtaking scenery in the Southwest. This link isn't glamorous, but provides a ton of information.
  • She loves great restaurants. I can highly recommend the following restaurants in Sedona and the surrounding area:
    • Dahl & DeLuca--4.5 stars on TripAdvisor with over 2,500 reviews. The Italian dishes are amazing, the surroundings are special, and the hospitality is first-rate.
    • Mariposa Grill--owned by the same family that owns Dahl & DeLuca, but this is Latin cuisine. Amazing views from the hilltop.
    • Cress on Oak Creek--French cuisine, set above Oak Creek and with wonderful views of the Red Rocks beyond. Be sure to get a table on the deck outside.
    • Wildflower Bread Company--located right next to the Hyatt Pinon Pointe timeshare units, this is a great place for a hearty breakfast
  • She loves shopping at local venues. I highly recommend the truly unique Tlaquepaque Arts & Crafts Village, right in the heart of Sedona. Originally built as an art colony and designed to mimic an Italian village in Tuscany, the Village has a large variety of clothing, crafts, jewelry, and art studios and galleries mixed with some nice restaurants for lunch.
iu
iu

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Sedona is a good suggestion. We did a three week stint in Western Canada seeing Vancouver Island and staying in hotels on a trip through Jasper and down to Banff for another timeshare week. Another year we flew to Denver and visited Yellowstone, Glacier Natl Park and back to a week in Breckenridge. We vacation on Nantucket every June, but usually tack on a week or so somewhere on the way up or back. Examples are the Newport RI area, National Harbor outside Washington DC, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island (a little out of the way, but well worth the extra drive).

If I only had more vacation time from work!

Sheila

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
New Orleans .. anytime but not in the summer. Great food. La Belle Maison (a Wyndham timeshare). It is the newest WYndham resort in NOLA... street car out front but just on the edge of the Quarter. Lots to walk to dining and music.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was going to suggest Sedona also!

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
Here's another vote for Sedona..............Another great vacation was So. Dakota, (Only 1 timeshare though - in Lead - close to Mt. Rushmore though.) Anywhere out west is beautiful country!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Here's another vote for Sedona..............Another great vacation was So. Dakota, (Only 1 timeshare though - in Lead - close to Mt. Rushmore though.) Anywhere out west is beautiful country!

I want to go to South Dakota, but no non stop flights from NY that I can tell!:(

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I agree with Sedona.

Tahoe fits the bill as well.

Napa Valley.

Aspen, Vail or Breckinridge.

Park City.

Cynic

Reaction score
French Lick, IN also meets your criteria. Old RCI employee fav for weekend getaways and easy to get RID/GC strata. Mountains, caves, hiking etc. Also dining, gambling, and activities. It's actually popular among honeymooners.

Last edited:

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
I want to go to South Dakota, but no non stop flights from NY that I can tell!:(

We flew out of PVD going to Rapid City SD - stopped in Chicago I think! I don't think I could find a nonstop either - if I could've, I would've - believe me!!!

MissDaisy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'll put in my recommendation for Sedona, Arizona.
WAZI9-sedona-walking-hiking-tour-6.jpg

It seems to check off all of the OP's boxes:
WAZI9-sedona-walking-hiking-tour-2.jpg

• She loves being outdoors. Sedona has a ton of great hiking trails of varying degrees of terrain and difficulty. They are well-marked, well-maintained, and take you to some of the most breathtaking scenery in the Southwest. This link isn't glamorous, but provides a ton of information.
  • She loves great restaurants. I can highly recommend the following restaurants in Sedona and the surrounding area:
    • Dahl & DeLuca--4.5 stars on TripAdvisor with over 2,500 reviews. The Italian dishes are amazing, the surroundings are special, and the hospitality is first-rate.
    • Mariposa Grill--owned by the same family that owns Dahl & DeLuca, but this is Latin cuisine. Amazing views from the hilltop.
    • Cress on Oak Creek--French cuisine, set above Oak Creek and with wonderful views of the Red Rocks beyond. Be sure to get a table on the deck outside.
    • Wildflower Bread Company--located right next to the Hyatt Pinon Pointe timeshare units, this is a great place for a hearty breakfast
  • She loves shopping at local venues. I highly recommend the truly unique Tlaquepaque Arts & Crafts Village, right in the heart of Sedona. Originally built as an art colony and designed to mimic an Italian village in Tuscany, the Village has a large variety of clothing, crafts, jewelry, and art studios and galleries mixed with some nice restaurants for lunch.
iu
iu
Beautiful photos and a very thoughtful response.. thank you!!

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in FL also. In Nov we did a TS week in New Orleans and really enjoyed it.