TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Where to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling & Renting Timeshares' started by chazpbg, Nov 8, 2019.

1. chazpbg

chazpbg TUG Member

Since I now am dealing with fact my RCI points-affiliated resort is filing for bankruptcy, I'm looking for where to buy. I really like my points. But I also don't want to spend a whole lot...

So... where can I get the most bang for the buck? Meaning a resort where the maintenance fees will translate to a hefty amount of points (I generally don't care about staying at the place, I want the points) and the purchase price will be low. Additionally, I want a resort that's relatively stable -- meaning no huge annual increases in fees or assessments or other surprises. Also, a place that ideally won't go bankrupt anytime soon.

Oh, and it wouldn't hurt if it's a place that will do a deedback... just so I have an exit strategy.

Yes, I'm asking for the world. But TUGgers are a smart bunch who know how to scope these things out, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

2. Fredflintstone

Fredflintstone TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Rent only
    Try the bargain basement here on TUG and perhaps EBay. Many times you can get a great place for a buck or even free. Heck, I just saw a Grandview in Vegas 2 bedroom with 121 k RCI points annually for a buck, free transfers AND a 200 Visa Card upon completion on EBay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, The Pines At Aspen East, Oyster Bay
    Hi,
    Do you get any use of the points from your timeshare now? It depends on where you want to own.
    Maybe a RTU or Bi Annual would be better.
    We own fixed weeks at 4 different resorts. Check ads on Marketplace to find a timeshare that might suit your needs.
    Silentg

4. chazpbg

chazpbg TUG Member

I've owned resorts strictly for trading purposes -- I got in and purchased South Africa when that was the way to go. I really just like seeing what I can find with RCI. But do need to check those ads...

Re Grandview: I've seen them pop up a fair bit when I looked about a year ago. I just wonder if that's the kinda place that will be difficult to sell down the road or deedback (the proverbial exit strategy...).

5. Fredflintstone

Resorts Owned:
    Rent only
    I do think grandview would be hard to sell however if you get it for a buck, free transfer and 200 dollar card, you can easily resell it for the same you got it for on EBay. That one I just mentioned sold in less than a day. The maintenance there is low for the points.

Legally_Blonde9 and silentg like this.
  6. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

If you hold out for a Grandview that's already in RCI Points, you won't get it for a buck, but it will hold it's value. We always use a penny a point/MF as a 'good value' point ratio for RCI Points and Grandview consistantly comes in a $.0075ish per point, so that's a LOT of bang for your MF $$! The buildings are concrete, and Las Vegas doesn't have hurricanes or fires, so don't expect assessments. It's a poorly kept secret, but these can be bought, you just have to keep watching places like eBay.

Jim

7. iwanttoflyaway

iwanttoflyaway TUG Member

I've been looking fairly constantly for the kind of Grandview contract mentioned above, and somehow missed that one. Can't find it in completed auctions, either, but the deals are definitely out there. There are also some great deals at Massanutten, but they're less common. Good luck!

Fredflintstone likes this.
  8. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

Check out TimeshareNation.com I see free GrandViews listed there. BTW...I know nothing about the site so do your due diligence.

Fredflintstone and silentg like this.
  9. Fredflintstone

Resorts Owned:
    Rent only
    I just checked now Jim..Here was the results of today’s quick search and I’ve seen better than this often.

IMG_0138.jpg [​IMG]

10. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

OP wants RCI Points. This is fixed week. The bargain is the low MF/point ratio.

11. Fredflintstone

Resorts Owned:
    Rent only
    I’ve seen ones with RCI points ranging from 98000 to 121 k points often for a buck. They are out there. You just need to look and be diligent. That was only a quick search.

I agree. The MF to points value at Grandview are very good.

12. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

If there is a Resort you think you will use year after year, call them and ask if they are holding any foreclosed Weeks they will give you for free. Their incentive is to start getting MFs flowing again on the Week. This worked for me once...

George

13. bobinmich

bobinmich TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    wyndham
    Ebay for resale points.....HANDS DOWN. Bob

14. Fredflintstone

Resorts Owned:
    Rent only
    Clever idea. I know of one case who got a FREE, yes FREE, (I didn’t believe him until he showed me the paperwork) Maui Ocean Club. Yes, it’s a one bedroom pool view. He called up Owner Services and asked if they have any units they want to rid themselves of in inventory. Initially, they said no so he gave them his number in case something pops up. 6 months later they called him. They even covered the transfer costs.

So, if you are lucky, you can get the resort you want for nothing if you don’t care about the view or the number of bedrooms.