• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When to Use Your Oven's Convection Function

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I have an older GE range with a convection setting. In their infinite wisdom (said with irony since you can't hear me) the engineers decided to automatically lower the oven temperature 25 degrees below the setting the user chooses—without telling owners that happens. As the article mentions most sources recommend that you lower the temperature by 25 degrees when baking a conventional recipe on the convection setting. So if you follow that advice on my GE, you end up with a temp that's actually 50 degrees lower. I found out only because I had a GE tech out to check the thermostat on my oven when I first got it.

I also find that my oven has a huge swing in actual temps. I think it’s part of the tactics to achieve the energy efficiency goals. The thermostat allows the temp to cool like 75 degrees or more from the actual setting before the heating coil kicks in again. That can really cause problems when you're trying to bake a cake or pans of cookies, in terms of brownness or baking time. I suspect it’s an issue with many ovens that have high energy efficiency ratings.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I got a new LG double-oven gas range a few months ago. I thought I was being so clever, and modern, and making things convenient, but in practice, I'm not so sure.

The oven temps say they're right, (tested a couple of different times, to make sure things were accurate.) No matter the setting, the upper oven always burns the bottom of anything baked in it. Pizza, cakes, casseroles - doesn't seem to matter. It's like it has a hot spot, or something. The lower oven works awesome, convection or otherwise.

I still haven't figured out the trick to making the upper oven work right. Putting the rack as high as it can go, and cooking for less time, may be the trick, but then I need to check the internal temp on anything baked, to ensure it's done. Pizza is my biggest challenge. Papa Murphy's is a family favorite, but so far, we can only successfully bake it in the lower oven. Not really what I was planning to do.

Ain't tecknawlegee grate? ;)

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
In our former home I only used it once. LOL! I really don't see what the big deal is. We had a double oven and being it is just the two of us we only ever used the little top oven.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a new LG double-oven gas range a few months ago. I thought I was being so clever, and modern, and making things convenient, but in practice, I'm not so sure.

The oven temps say they're right, (tested a couple of different times, to make sure things were accurate.) No matter the setting, the upper oven always burns the bottom of anything baked in it. Pizza, cakes, casseroles - doesn't seem to matter. It's like it has a hot spot, or something. The lower oven works awesome, convection or otherwise.

I still haven't figured out the trick to making the upper oven work right. Putting the rack as high as it can go, and cooking for less time, may be the trick, but then I need to check the internal temp on anything baked, to ensure it's done. Pizza is my biggest challenge. Papa Murphy's is a family favorite, but so far, we can only successfully bake it in the lower oven. Not really what I was planning to do.

Dave
We have GE Profile double oven and don't have the same issue. We also always select convection. We love how the heat is always even. Our previous home in California had Kitchen Aid double oven and also worked as expected. We don't use regular setting for roast or bake, just convection roast or bake.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We inherited a Kitchenaid Superba double oven. I had to get up outta my chair to confirm it has the convection option. Never used it. I'm not even sure I've used the lower oven more than twice. We simply don't cook more than a handful of times a year. Yesterday I tried to give Mom, who still cooks every day, seven cans of tomato sauce that were "best by" January 2018. "Are the cans bulging?" What the heck, Mom, of course they aren't! After more hemming and hawing on her part I said NEVER MIND! So I made a big pot of spaghetti sauce, but I still have six cans of tomato sauce left because the recipe called for two of my "old moldy" tomato paste cans. We'll eat spaghetti all week and be happy; Mom shudders at serving leftovers unless it is meat loaf sandwiches for lunch the next day. This is why we finally came to our senses and gave up our Costco membership. But we rejected a retirement community that only had tiny counter top convection ovens. I don't often cook, but by God when I do I want to be able to bake a pan of lasagna or four loaves of date nut bread!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We inherited a Kitchenaid Superba double oven. I had to get up outta my chair to confirm it has the convection option. Never used it. I'm not even sure I've used the lower oven more than twice. We simply don't cook more than a handful of times a year. Yesterday I tried to give Mom, who still cooks every day, seven cans of tomato sauce that were "best by" January 2018. "Are the cans bulging?" What the heck, Mom, of course they aren't! After more hemming and hawing on her part I said NEVER MIND! So I made a big pot of spaghetti sauce, but I still have six cans of tomato sauce left because the recipe called for two of my "old moldy" tomato paste cans. We'll eat spaghetti all week and be happy; Mom shudders at serving leftovers unless it is meat loaf sandwiches for lunch the next day. This is why we finally came to our senses and gave up our Costco membership. But we rejected a retirement community that only had tiny counter top convection ovens. I don't often cook, but by God when I do I want to be able to bake a pan of lasagna or four loaves of date nut bread!
We toss all food items that are expired. I wouldn't use them if I were you.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We toss all food items that are expired. I wouldn't use them if I were you.

Some things are actually still good way pass their expiration date. Information can be found on line about them. But I do think tomatoes in a can have shorter life pass the date than other canned goods

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We have GE Monogram double oven 16 years old now. Oven takes 20 minutes or more to preheat so we turn on convection to get it to preheat faster then turn to bake.

Sometimes cook items with convection like cookies. Never took time to understand.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some things are actually still good way pass their expiration date. Information can be found on line about them. But I do think tomatoes in a can have shorter life pass the date than other canned goods
There are a few exceptions, like refrigerated eggs are good a week after best by date .

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never use the convection feature on the Viking dual fuel. DW is the baker, so she does to achieve more even results. My beef with this oven is it takes FOREVER to preheat.

Heck, if I disposed of food when the 'use by' date is history, I'd dump half my pantry (well, not half, but some). I wouldn't worry much about 'well aged' tomato sauce. In the end, my nose is the final arbitor, and it's pretty fussy. (IMO) there is good evidence that those dates- especially 'best by', are more marketing than advisory.

Jim

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
There are a few exceptions, like refrigerated eggs are good a week after best by date .

Heck, unless we're on an egg kick like we are now (just bought 18 instead of a dozen), God only knows how old our eggs are because the carton gets tossed as soon as they go in the egg "divots" in the fridge. As long as they look and smell fine we eat them.

ETA we had to stop buying the single serving quiche at Trader Joe's. They'd of course look just fine coming out of the freezer, but put them in the microwave and peeeee yewwww! When it got so we were having to get our money back about 30% of the time we just gave up. Apparently the egg and other contents made them real susceptible to spoiling if left out while they were stocking shelves. Have never had an issue with the appetizer size.

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I never use the convection feature on the Viking dual fuel. DW is the baker, so she does to achieve more even results. My beef with this oven is it takes FOREVER to preheat.

Heck, if I disposed of food when the 'use by' date is history, I'd dump half my pantry (well, not half, but some). I wouldn't worry much about 'well aged' tomato sauce. In the end, my nose is the final arbitor, and it's pretty fussy. (IMO) there is good evidence that those dates- especially 'best by', are more marketing than advisory.

Jim

I go on plain yogurt kicks when our tree is putting out way more fruit than we can eat -- apple, yogurt, walnuts, raisins Oh My! This past April I had a big unopened carton of Mountain High yogurt that was best by some date 7 months prior. Took it out to toss it, then peeled back the inner plastic so I could dump it down the drain. Hmm, looks and smells fine, tasted it and yeah it was a bit "cheesy", but heck it's fermented milk. I enjoyed it for breakfast the next week.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I go on plain yogurt kicks when our tree is putting out way more fruit than we can eat -- apple, yogurt, walnuts, raisins Oh My! This past April I had a big unopened carton of Mountain High yogurt that was best by some date 7 months prior. Took it out to toss it, then peeled back the inner plastic so I could dump it down the drain. Hmm, looks and smells fine, tasted it and yeah it was a bit "cheesy", but heck it's fermented milk. I enjoyed it for breakfast the next week.
Sorry. That is gross.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Y'know, what'd'ya have when Sour Cream goes bad? It's already SOUR Cream!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bottled water has expiration dates. Would you toss those as well?

Kurt
I typically drink them before they get anywhere close to expiration. The answer is yes. I figure that plastic does leach into the water and it is unsafe when it is past expiration. Same as if we forget to take bottled water out of a warm car, we throw them out.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave

We bought a GE double oven range when we redid our kitchen. We haven't had any problems with either oven. We use the top oven 95%, unless we are cooking 2 different items or need the convection, opening and closing the top oven is so much more convenient than bending over for the bottom.

Joe

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jim

I made French toast on Sunday for my kids and I. They don't use syrup, but I do. That is when I noticed it expired in 2017. I needed syrup, so I used it anyway. I am still breathing.

However, I will buy syrup to replace it next week (if I remember).

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I worked for a food company and many of the dates actually say “best when used by.” What often happens with products is that their quality starts to diminish, not that they become unsafe. For example, a cracker may start to taste bad because the oils used to make it get rancid. (That's a taste I'm especially sensitive to, while my husband often doesn't notice it.). Or a cake mix may not rise as high because the leavening has lost some of its strength or the chocolate flavor fades. The manufacturer is trying to protect itself from consumer complaints when people are unsatisfied because the item doesn't taste as good as it should have because it's gotten too old.

There are certainly items that become unsafe if kept too long, like meats, because any bacteria on them start to multiply over time. And of course, visible signs of mold or spoilage are the other big clue! And I suspect leftovers from home cooked meals not refrigerated quickly, kept too long in the refrigerator and then not heated sufficiently to kill off bacteria (especially because of the uneven heating in a microwave) are far more dangerous than an outdated box or can!

That said, I often toss items when they are way beyond their expiration date because I don't want to go to the effort to cook a dish only to find its taste isn't what I'd hoped because of an outdated ingredient.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I made French toast on Sunday for my kids and I. They don't use syrup, but I do. That is when I noticed it expired in 2017. I needed syrup, so I used it anyway. I am still breathing.

However, I will buy syrup to replace it next week (if I remember).

If it is real syrup- and not the high fructose fake stuff- keep syrup in the fridge and it will last indefinitely.