TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

When is optimal time to search for II exchange for Hilton Head?

Discussion in 'Exchanging' started by needvaca, Apr 8, 2018.

1. needvaca

needvaca Guest

I'm looking to exchange my summer 2BR Sheraton Broadway Plantation-Myrtle Beach for a 2BR Hilton Head for June 2019- preferably Marriott.
    I've never used II before, but thanks to TUG, I have a vague idea on how it works.
    I will deposit either my 2019 or 2020 week. It seems like this gives me best trading power.
    Do I have a good chance of getting a Marriott Hilton Head (like Grande Ocean or Barony?)

2. mdurette

mdurette TUG Member

It will be hard to find Hilton Head summer by manual searching - you should put in an On Going Search for this as soon as you deposit your week. This would be your best bet to obtain this exchange.

3. chalee94

chalee94 TUG Member

Many summer Hilton Head Marriott owners rent for cash rather than exchange, so your odds are pretty low IMO. Ongoing search combined with stalking the website give you a small chance but Marriott owners will always get first crack at Marriotts (I think the preference period is around 3 weeks) and supply is relatively low compared to demand...

4. 2rebecca

2rebecca TUG Member

If you're willing to accept a resort on the marsh/creek instead of the beach, your odds are pretty good even for the Marriott. If you're just looking for beach front, that might be tough. I've been searching for a resort on the beach at Hilton Head for 2-yrs and haven't seen any of those during the summer months. I put in a request last year, but was match to Westgate Myrtle Beach instead. If you're exchanging a Myrtle Beach summer week, you should have more trading power than me. I just did a manual search and I can see a 2-bedroom (sleeps 6) at Marriott's Harbour Point at Shelter Cove for June 1-8, 2019.

5. vice

vice TUG Member

Virtually no chance of trading your SBP Platinum for a summer Marriott Hilton Head, simply because of Marriott preference that summer week would have to sit around for 3 weeks (or 4, not sure of the exact length of Marriott preference) while all the other Marriott owners pass on a prime summer trade at Hilton Head. It isn't going to happen. I have SBP traders and speak from experience. You have a small but decent chance of putting in an ongoing search for HHI for any brand resort and coming up with a summer week, especially if you deposit one in RCI and one in II and search with both, which is a nice perk of an SBP trader. It may be too close to travel time to do it this year but give it a try for summer 2019.

6. vice

vice TUG Member

2rebecca - What deposit are you using to see the Harbour Point 6/1 availability? I just searched II and didn't see it with any of my Sheraton units. Wondering if I am having a trading power issue, size issue, or if you have Marriott preference. Thanks!

7. 2rebecca

2rebecca TUG Member

No, I don't have Marriott preference. I'm using a 2-bedroom at Tahiti Resort in Las Vegas to search. I would expect a Sheraton to see it, too. Are your Sheraton's 2-bedrooms?

8. vice

vice TUG Member

Thanks for the info. My SBP 2 BR is in the older section with a long season that includes the summer, so it is designated Gold Plus season. That may be the issue. Anyone have a newer 2 BR SBP Platinum they can check and see for the OP to see if it pulls the Harbour Point 6/1 that is currently available to 2rebecca. For what it is worth, I also don't see it available with my SVV 1 BR Platinum or my SDO 1 BR Gold Plus.

9. 2rebecca

2rebecca TUG Member

You are searching 2019, right?

10. hudshut

hudshut TUG Member

vice:
    I posted current availability for Harbour Pointe at Shelter Cove in the Sightings section.​

11. hudshut

hudshut TUG Member

There is virtually no chance at the two resorts you mentioned. (That is a very tough trade for a new II member to be successful with II.) I've been searching that area for several years. You might get a match in early June or late August during flexchange. I would go for the June 1, 2019 that is currently available at Shelter Cove (HPS).

12. vice

vice TUG Member

Hudshut, I agree that summer at GO or Barony will be virtually no chance trade for OP. Thanks for posting Harbour Pointe in sightings section with and w/o Mariott preference. I did notice that you posted a June 22,2019 available under preference. I am under contract for a Shelter Cove Sunset Point Sport week, but I don't own any other Marriott. Do you have any idea if that Sport week would have to trading power to pull the June 22,2019 Harbour Pointe with the Marriott preference?

2rebecca, Thanks for pointing out dates, I thought I had my search parameters extended to the end of 2019 but I was only through April 2019. After retesting I am pulling the June 1, 2019 Harbour Point with 1 BR SDO Gold Plus, 1 BR SVV Platinum but my 2 BR SBP Gold Plus is still not pulling it.

Thanks to all for posting, this info is very useful to me and should help the OP as well.

13. dougp26364

dougp26364 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

In general I’ve found very few destinations that are impossible to trade into, but it does happen. My receipt for success has been 1. Deposit as early as possible 2. Put my request in as early as possible 3. Give II as much flexibility as possible.

As mentioned HHI is very popular in the summer. What doesn’t get mentioned is owners trying to maximize trade power when trading out of HHI will invariably try to reserve the most difficult weeks for the highest trade power. As an example I’ve never as an owner been able to snag a week at Grand Loge on peak 7 for a July week, but I have been able to reserve a June week and trade back into July. This because summer week owners would jump on July weeks to maximize trade power.
    The thing about HHI is a lot of owners understand that, if they don’t want to use their week, they can rent it for more than their MF’s. Thus making high demand weeks even tougher to get on an exchange.

14. lisa3635

lisa3635 TUG Member

The last 2 summers I have sucessfully trades into Barony and Monarch with worldmark for July. My Barony exchange came through 4 months before checkin. My Monarch exchange was confirmed within 45 days of checkin. Both cams through with ongoing searches. I’d set up a search, you never know.

15. tschwa2

tschwa2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    I think early June at Barony with a good non Marriott wouldn't be a stretch. You probably wouldn't get the ocean front buildings. You would get the garden view ones with the big pool about 3-5 minute walk to the beach or they will take you in a golf cart. For float Marriott weeks the absolute earliest owners can deposit is 13 months for multiweek owners booking consecutive or concurrently or 12 months for everyone else. The older fixed week non beach HHI week can get deposited 24 months in advance. So if you have a chance for a shelter cove week now it is difficult to say whether you should pass it up and continue with an ongoing search that has a 50% chance of matching 6 months to 14 days in advance or take what you know you can get now, add eplus and hope for a manual exchange later on down the line.

vice likes this.
  16. Saintsfanfl

Saintsfanfl TUG Member

I’ve gotten Harbour Point using a non-Marriott and recently got Monarch using a Marriott. In both cases it was about 16 months out into fixed week deposits that owners can put in II before the standard 12 or 13+ months. It increases the chances because fewer people have searches out that far.

The big 3 is possible but you need high power that is a Marriott while searching the full range. Using a non-Marriott is possible but it requires high power combined with someone cancelling or retrading after the preference period lapses. This is possible but not likely with an exchange that rare.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  17. needvaca

needvaca Guest

Thanks all. Sounds like Marriott beachfront is very unlikely for me. Shelter Cove looks nice, but I'm not ready to commit yet and may end up doing 2020.
    Besides inland (which I'm considering), do you recommend any 2nd tier beachfront timeshares available through II?
    I don't need as nice as Marriott, but don't want bad 1970's polyester bedspreads.

18. hjtug

hjtug TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

You might want to include a search for Surfwatch. Probably no more likely than the others, but much more oceanfront than most others. Also maybe consider including search for Monarch. It is oceanfront and maybe a little easier to get than other oceanfront Marriotts. Do you use e-plus? If you will consider an off-oceanfront Marriott you can include some in your search and, if you reserve one, continue searching with e-plus for another Marriott that you would prefer.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  19. Keep Traveling

Keep Traveling TUG Member

Thanks I was about to get the 6/1 Hilton Head week.
    KT

20. Saintsfanfl

Saintsfanfl TUG Member

I got Monarch a couple weeks ago with a 2BR Marriott OGS. I can say that I have had an OGS with a 2BR Marriott for over two years and never matched Barony, GO, or Surfwatch for a late June to end of July week.

I also have the OGS with a high powered 4BR non-M deposit. I have seen a Crystal Shores unit with this deposit but still never matched HHI on the OGS.

21. sail27bill

sail27bill TUG Member

June is very high demand. I have seen non oceanfront Marriotts with my platinum Vistana Villages unit for June, but not oceanfront ones. I have gotten Surfwatch in August from using both my harborside and Vistana Villages units (surfwatch is considered oceanfront), but no June or July weeks and I deposited over a year in advance for each and requested only oceanfront Marriotts for the whole summer range. So it may be doable, but just hard and the waiting game will be tough. I would try putting in an ongoing search as soon as possible and good luck!