TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

When do you plan to retire and first trip

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by Fredflintstone, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Desert Springs Villas II 2BR
    Playa Andaluza Silver Seafront 2BR
    Destinations Points
    Yep, you were one of them (we'll be @ DSV Jan30-Feb14, you?). At Marco, met Steven Ting and Superchief (Bill). Met others as well.

I do get overly passionate about being cheap at times. Ok, most of the time. And I do like to think out of the box many times. But I try not to unless someone asks something, lol.

Ok, I'll edit to state we found VacationForever (love that name on so many levels) to be a very intelligent person on a wide variety of topics. We enjoyed meeting you guys. No clue if you guys have the same anything quite honestly, and couldn't care less. It's about people. SuperChief was very good to talk to and informative on some timeshare issues, and Steven we had a little less time with, but, he was super nice and generous too. Thanks Steven!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    VacationForever and mpumilia like this.
  2. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

We will be at DSV immediately after Thanksgiving for 2 weeks. We just decided that we would like to be there again around the same time frame when you will be there. We are late in making the decision and there are no 2BR available at DSV. We have gone ahead and try Shadow Ridge and it is in mid-Jan. We will do an ePlus if another 2BR pops up towards the end of January.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Fredflintstone likes this.
  3. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Destinations Points
    It's quite possible more will come up, wouldn't give up yet. We're actually at Shadow Ridge the first 4 nights. That would be great if we could meet again!

4. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Destinations Points
    There's SOME reason (at least for us) to stay at home at least sometimes. People we know who live here, relatives, hobbies that necessitate being here, and some others come to mind. But yeah, it's not awful! We built our home to be what we always wanted, and our final home. It has features we greatly enjoy and would be very difficult to replicate like our home theater room (not name only....). Not for everyone for sure, and I doubt the things we have done with our home would make it easy to sell. But that's ok, don't care. I enjoy working outside on the property, which again is not what everyone wants to do but it is me.

But I get the meaning here. It was enjoyable traveling wide and far this year. But since we didn't really stay anywhere for too long, it was also hard, the constant traveling. That's likely different than what you are saying. We have an even dozen resorts this year, most widely separated. We enjoy the non US traveling while we still can.

mpumilia and Fredflintstone like this.
  5. Brett

Brett Guest

I'm a real person too !

I was pointing out that the differences between religious health sharing ministries and health insurance are not simply "profit" vs "non-profit" differences. And equating it to timeshares - I'm not sure about that analogy.
    But if you think that is a personal bias I am sorry - but yes, I suppose we can all agree that everyone needs to be vigilant

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  6. tomt73

tomt73 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Lake Placid Club Lodges, Las Brisas de Santa Fe.

mpumilia and DaveNW like this.
  7. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

One of our properties was my old construction yard. The goat heads took over the entire acre. The EPA will not let me burn these so I planted grass. I use a riding lawn mower on this property and figured out how to leave patterns. Just stripes for now but I think I could make anything if I used a combination of the riding mower, walk behind mower and weed eater. I haven't been bored enough to try this yet, lol.

I actually felt I was working harder in retirement than in real life but the reality is when you start at 10 am and quit at 2 pm things take longer to complete.

Bill

8. senorak

senorak TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I recently retired from teaching, (after the '18-19 school year), in June. My husband and I had a "summer vacation" planned for San Francisco soon after the school year ended. (It would be his first trip there in over 30 years. I try to get there at least once a year.) I didn't really consider that my "retirement trip" bc for me, it was still the traditional "summer break". My first official retirement trip was taken the end of August/beginning of Sept, (when the first official start of the '19-20 school year began). I was very emotional not be "going back to work" after more than 33 years of teaching. So....when a last minute exchange to my favorite city of San Francisco popped up, I booked it! I went alone, (as DH is still working full time). As I had hoped....visiting my favorite city, (when less crowded), was just what I needed.
    I visited the "Legion of Honor" museum, which I hadn't been to in years. Being a French/Spanish teacher, this was perfect, since many of the works of art are from those artists. Plus, the views from the walk along the "Land's End" trail were just spectacular!!! Yes, I still teared up when I passed local schools, (especially my "favorite spot" in Mission Dolores Park), but I enjoyed visiting the city at a time when in the past, I had been unable to do so....due to working.
    I do plan to travel more often, (other than summer/holiday breaks), but as others have posted.....my husband is still working FT, and we have 3 dogs. ***I also should mention that not only did I retire.....but we became true "empty nesters" as our oldest married, (he had been living w/ fiancee/wife for several years), youngest graduated college & moved out to work in Philly, and our daughter who had lived at home since graduating college 2 years ago, moved in with her boyfriend. These are all very positive events.....but I'm still trying to adjust to my "new normal".***

Deb

presley, MULTIZ321, mpumilia and 3 others like this.
  9. mas

mas TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts Owned:
    MAR BeachPlace;
    Cypress Harbour;
    Ocean Watch;
    Canyon Villas;
    I retired in Jan. 2008, I am 67 and so is my wife. I am somewhat of a bike (non motorized) enthusiast and am a member of a senior bike club in our area. I have done quite a few bike trips with a company called VBT mostly in Europe but world wide. My wife is not a bike enthusiast and not a fan of long plane rides. Having said that I did manage to talk her into coming with me on the current trip to China with another travel company called OAT ( overseas adventure travel). We are currently in Shanghai where the sun is shining brightly and the temp is a comfortable 70 degrees. I already have two more OAT trips planned, one for Nepal-Bhutan and the other for Egypt-Jordan. Gotta do these things while you still can ☺. We are fortunate that we are both physically and financially able to afford these types of trips.

We use our timeshares to winter in Phoenix/California and Florida. Life in retirement is good!

PamMo, jd2601, Steve Fatula and 3 others like this.
  10. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Glad you are well! We have been on a few OAT trips as well, and they ae probably our favorite group travel trips- though like all in this genre, you can only go at the pace of the slowest guest. Anymore that's likely to be US.

Later. . . . Jim

11. joestein

joestein TUG Member

Having all those weeks to live in Hawaii sounds great. Isn't the maintenance a bit overwhelming? How does paying the maintenance compare with owning a 2nd residence. I am thinking that there is little to no investment in the TS, but the annual maintenance might be higher in cost than owning a condo. Of course with the condo there is an intial investment but also an exit value. Very curious.

Joe

Fredflintstone and mpumilia like this.
  12. jd2601

jd2601 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

"I have done quite a few bike trips with a company called VBT mostly in Europe but world wide."

I have done the VBT bicycle tours also. I really enjoyed their tours. I have only done the US tours mainly in Vermont. They do a great job!

13. pittle

pittle Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Luxxe
    Buganvilias Sky Suites
    Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
    When I retired December 31, 2001, we moved to our condo at the Lake of the Ozarks, but on February 1 - we flew to Acapulco and spent a month at the Mayan Palace there. It was an awesome escape from the cold in central Missouri. We had often done 2 weeks in February before retirement, but the month was awesome! For the next 6 years we went to one of the Mayan Palace or Grand Mayans for the month of February. In 2007, we moved to AZ and did go to Mazatlan in February 2008, but the temps there were pretty much the same as the ones in Phoenix, so we now go somewhere cooler in the summer and do 2-3 weeks in Puerto Vallarta in November. Our family loves to go for Thanksgiving there.

14. BigRedOne

BigRedOne Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I'm retireing at the end of the year and have a cruise out of New Orleans booked. Then I'll start the next chapter in my life at age 66.

15. bluehende

bluehende TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

We owned a beach house. By beach house we mean a house a couple miles back. Entrance and exit costs and values are hard to quantify. You lose the time value of the cash used for the house and hope the increase in value is better than other investments. With closing costs both ways that would be a crap shoot. Look at our house. If it were on the beach I would have beaten the markets by a little. Where we were the markets beat it over 30 yrs easily. Our house had well septic and cheap taxes. With this we certainly owned for far less than maintenance fees would have been. However my timeshare has never called me to tell me I have a branch sticking out of the roof or the house has been broken into (a real problem with seasonal homes). My best guess is that if you enjoy tinkering around the house then having 2 is worth it. To me those are chores so spend the money and enjoy your time at your timeshares with no stress.

There are 100 other factors that may or may not apply to you. My parents moved into the house so we are happy with our decision. When they passed it became more of a burden.

16. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
    I totally get the delaying retirement. I’m monitoring my investments and if I don’t hit my number that I need I might have to stay till 66.

17. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
    your post is inspiring me to figure out how I can save more so I can retire at 65 as life is a gift an no one knows when that gift goes alway.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

18. Makai Guy

Makai Guy Administrator

Resorts Owned:
    Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
    So true. I'm now of an age where the end of life is no longer such an abstract concept.

19. Passepartout

True indeed. That vow we took, 'til death do us part', has deeper meaning, like, which.of us will spend some time alone? It's all a little discomforting. Not something to dwell on, but to be prepared for to the extent possible.

20. Rolltydr

Rolltydr TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    CWA
    Jason Isbell has a great song “If we were Vampires” about that very subject. If you haven’t heard it, I highly recommend it. It’s a great song about love.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21. Passepartout

One of my VERY favorites! Here it is from Austin City Limits:
    Tears running down my cheeks. Listen to it with a loved one.

Jim

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Anne&Jim, Fredflintstone and Rolltydr like this.
  22. geekette

geekette Guest

I definitely like the work hours better!

23. BarbmC

BarbmC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Ocean Club Platinum 2BR
    Marriott Vacation Club points owner
    Next year I will turn 60 - hoping to retire at 65, my husband is 10 years older than me - and I'd like us to travel while we still can! On the list, Hawaii (I was there 35 years ago on my honeymoon with my ex husband) Europe - including a river cruise, Panama Canal Cruise, Alaska Cruise with my kids and grandkids. I could go on and on - hoping that I can retire then :)

Fredflintstone and mpumilia like this.
  24. Fredflintstone

Fredflintstone TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Rent only
    Personally, Joe, I think buying a condo is better IF that’s the place you want to be at. Yes, Hawaii is super expensive in many areas, but there are a few gems left that are still affordable. As an example @slip bought a beautiful condo on Molokai and actually lives on Oahu after making a job transfer from WI. He, in my opinion bought right. Just for fun, I looked at what the rent is on Molokai on Airbnb and it averages to 120 a night so slip could rent it out if he ever wanted to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slip likes this.
  25. Passepartout

BarbmC, I'd hope that you can perhaps fulfill at least some of those Bucket List items before you retire. You don't say, but when you are 65 and dealing with all those 'age 65' items, retirement, Medicare and all, that 75 y.o. guy you want to share your travels with may be slowing down. Only you know your exact situation, but my teeny tiny bit of advice is. . . DON'T WAIT! You won't regret it.

Jim

Anne&Jim, turkel and Fredflintstone like this.