TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

When do you plan to retire and first trip

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by Fredflintstone, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I have not drawn a paycheck in the 10+ years since I retired. We have traveled. I took on being chief cook- which is fine as I get to eat what I like. DW and I have had some health challenges that have forced her to slow down, but she's back to helping clients, mostly long term people whose families she has provided legal work to for years.

Life has been very good and we stay active. I walk, sing in a local chorale. DW plays horn in the symphony, paints and makes jewelry. We travel- not as actively as we once did, but still a half dozen or more cruises, TS vacay's a year and a second home if we get bored.

Jim

alwysonvac likes this.
  2. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
    that is the same thing that keeps us working. The day we retire from our jobs is the day our healthcare ends. So hitting 65 will be a banner day.

alwysonvac likes this.
  3. PcflEZFlng

PcflEZFlng TUG Member

Exactly this. After retiring from my full-time job in 2017, largely because of work-related stress, I actually did go back to work part-time last year, for the same employer. I retired *again* in October 2018. The PT work was a nice gig, and it didn't have the stress of the FT job, but even at that, I don't miss it. The volunteer and leisure time that I now enjoy, and not having a boss, is like a dream.

4. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

I will only pay $60 per month to cover our whole family in 2020 in the HSA plan. Our company has 3 plans with the HSA being the least expensive. I’m for sure working now till 65

alwysonvac and mpumilia like this.
  5. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

Once our kids finish college, we could retire and pay for healthcare especially if we sold our home in California and moved to Nevada and lived off of the proceeds. However we love our home, and I still enjoy the intellectual stimulation of my encore job even though it doesn't pay well. Not sure what I would do otherwise. Would still bring my business with me because that could be done anywhere, but would probably travel back to where we live today for meetings...so why move?

Anne&Jim, alwysonvac and mpumilia like this.
  6. MOXJO7282

MOXJO7282 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I'm 55 and hope to retire in 5 years or less from the corporate world. We have a plan that if we can pull it off it will be a life long dream fulfilled and hope it becomes our life in retirement. We have enough Maui weeks, (12) 2BDRM units in the even years and 10 during odd years, and HHI weeks (8) that the plan is to spend 6 weeks in Maui in the winter and 4 weeks in the spring or fall on HHI.

With the Maui weeks we will stay 6 weeks in either a studio or 1BDRM, have friends and family come a few weeks and then rent the rest. The LOs will really bring amazing value when we can use and rent them in this way.

We will look to do the same on HHI for June or Sept. This will be the culmination of why I did what i did with all the Marriotts I've bought over the years now counting 27.

I've had this dream for sometime but lately I've been wondering how I will feel when the time comes.

For those that retired from a rewarding career did you end up missing the energy and successes you had?

Did you feel differently 3 months, 6 months after you retired?

In 5 years I really won't need to work for the money and year after year I become more and more tire of the Corp BS so I dream of the day I don't have to deal with the high pressure but at the same time it has been very good to my family so as much as I want this dream retirement I'm wondering if I will miss what is now a big part of my life where I'm very successful and not want to be retired but only realize this 3 months after I do retire.

Any regrets?

alwysonvac and mpumilia like this.
  7. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX

For my first year of retirement I would have the blues on Sunday evening because psychologically I was gearing up for another week of work. It was nice when those feelings went away.

Do I miss the energy and successes of my career? Yes, but that is more than overridden by the time freedom and ability to not have all the things I wanted to do in my personal life have to be done in the evenings or on the weekends.

NO regrets!

8. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

For the longest time, my identity was my career(s) - I had 2 very successful careers in the last 25 years before my retirement, and I was afraid that I would lose my identity when I retired. It was especially so when some of my closest friends were in top corporate positions and we would get together for dinner once in a while.

I quickly learned that I did not lose my identity when we retired. I am still the same person as I was. For a few months I did miss the recognition and perks that came with my work but those were not enough to want to go back to work. I am very happy to be retired. The other interesting observation in my interactions with other retirees in my community, whether it is golf, cards or volunteering, many of the retirees had similar illustrious careers.

You will enjoy your retirement. It is another phase in life and the sooner you retire the longer the time you get to enjoy the things that do not feel like work.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    alwysonvac, mpumilia and PcflEZFlng like this.
  9. Rolltydr

Rolltydr TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    CWA
    I retired 6 years ago and I have enjoyed it from the minute I walked out of the building for the last time. No regrets whatsoever. My life is more rewarding now than ever. I spend it with my wife and family doing the things we want to do. I don’t miss the pressure at all. I’ve lost weight and got in better shape. My cholesterol is down and I sleep better because I’m not rerunning today in my head or worrying about tomorrow. I know some people retire, don’t like it and then go back to work. I just don’t understand that. I can be very productive on my own. I don’t need a company and a boss for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

geekette, PamMo, coachBoris and 4 others like this.
  10. PcflEZFlng

PcflEZFlng TUG Member

No.
    Nope.
    Absolutely not.

11. itradehilton

itradehilton TUG Member

i'm not ready to retire yet, but my first will be anywhere but home during the beginning of a school year. Just to prove I don't have to be at school.

12. Linda74

Linda74 TUG Member

I retired at 57, two years after my husband. Our first trip was to

13. Linda74

Linda74 TUG Member

I retired at 57, two years after my dear husband. Our first timeshare trip after retirement was to Greece, a week in Rhodes, a week in Crete and some days in Athens. That was followed by season ski passes in Vermont, a trip to Tuscany and a Mediterranean cruise, and our annual two weeks in PV. Two years of living like rock stars....and then out of the blue, my 62 year old husband had terminal cancer, right before our daughter’s wedding. So my advice is: retire when you can and travel your socks off. Life is unpredictable. A few years ago, I met a widowed gentleman who shares my love of travel. We take several trips a year, always PV but Europe often, especially river cruises. Have unloaded two of the timeshares as they just don’t work for me as well anymore...and travel (especially by air) is increasingly unpleasant. But am so thankful for timeshares as they allowed us to travel widely with our children....and really fortunate to have been able to travel well into retirement.

PamMo, Rolltydr, Passepartout and 2 others like this.
  14. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 50,000
    Royal Solaris San Jose del Cavo
    Neither Patti or I have worked a single day since we retired. Patti has several charities with which she is involved - St. Francis Family Shelter, Gardening in the City Park across the Street from our house, and Warming Centers for the Homeless during the Winter. I help with the first two but I do not formally belong.

15. kckaren21

kckaren21 TUG Member

This has been a very interesting and enjoyable thread!

In the healthcare parts of this thread, no one has mentioned medical sharing plans.

I rec’d my first notice that my health insurance was canceled… 75 days earlier. A rude surprise from my husband’s employer! I was not eligible for Obamacare because it was over 60 days since I had had coverage. I scrambled and ended up choosing a medical sharing plan, which is saving me a lot of money. It was recommended by someone I respect, and a good friend has been on a medical sharing plan for several years and had a good experience. I chose a high deductible plan, and since it is not ACA compliant, I don’t get any wellness visits or tests. So, I signed up for a new concept here where I can go to a particular doctor office (and/or call in to a doctor 24/7) at no additional charge (I also got a blood panel and flu shot free).

For the medical sharing plan I pay monthly ~$250 + $150 for the local doctor, and I am saving $100/month for similar coverage to what I paid before.

mpumilia likes this.
  16. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I've never heard of medical sharing.

17. elaine

elaine TUG Member

DH 60 just retired but works 5 days a month at former business, filling in for others, but on his schedule. He's become a maniac for home renov projects. Fine with me. We need 2 kitchen and 5 bathroom renov between our house, retirement home, and now my Moms house! I plan to retire in 2 years at 58. I will probably work a bit on consulting basis.
    On my list: making scrapbooks, online photo albums from shutterfly (never had much time when working with 3 kids-I've got all the photos shoved in a box), reading (I read all day at work--never any real leisure time reading excerpt a few novels), exercising more, learning how to cook (DH is an excellent cook and I never had the time/inclination to learn anything other than basics), and planning out home decor of retirement home (current decor is thrift store and/or beige pieces).
    For travel-a big Europe trip EOY and additional US destinations via trading 2 TS. Thinking Pacific NW, SW FL/Keys, Palm Springs/CA, and Hawaii.

mpumilia and CalGalTraveler like this.
  18. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

It is actually called health sharing. You can search on the internet for more information @Steve Fatula can elaborate as he is on it. I have looked at it and after checking with my doctors about its acceptance or not, I decided to still with regular medical insurance.

Steve Fatula and mpumilia like this.
  19. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I probably never heard of it, or needed to look into it, since I was always covered through my employer, even after retirement, until I reached Medicare age.

20. kckaren21

kckaren21 TUG Member

Google medical sharing plans for more info. Dave Ramsey recommended one, which I chose. I also looked into RV'er insurance and other travel insurance for a portable plan, because we plan to travel a lot. There were more options than I expected!

mpumilia likes this.
  21. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

How is 'medical sharing' different than traditional insurance. With insurance, the premiums collected from healthy subscribers pays the bills of those with claims. Isn't that 'sharing' the risk among a large pool?

geekette likes this.
  22. geekette

geekette Guest

Assume anything you want about me. equating home ins to health ins is loony. not at all the same.

Meanwhile, tell me which insurance plan will cover that pricey treatment and at what cost/month and at what point they quit paying. And then tell me why I should fear devastating illness for myself just because you live in fear?

Next, tell me which people that went bankrupt via med debt that are being bailed out by taxpayers? You assume a lot of motivations that I don't have. It's probably best to speak for yourself vs hurl accusations at people guilty of not thinking of things exactly like you do.

turkel and mpumilia like this.
  23. geekette

geekette Guest

Mary Ann, your new chapter in life is very exciting! I agree, you have no time for a job! Agree, you already have "work" lined up.

mpumilia likes this.
  24. geekette

geekette Guest

Yeah, seems very similar, just smaller pool.

If my ship comes in, I could see going the Concierge route but I don't think that is in the cards for me.

mpumilia likes this.
  25. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

I never assumed anything about you. You projected the questions onto yourself.

It's true that many of those that went bankrupt ended up on public assistance. Sounds like you have an alternative plan to avoid this (Which was the basis of my question: How to avoid bankruptcy/public assistance/wiping out your retirement funds if something catastrophic happens?)

Kaiser covered the more than $1 million for that kid to get well. No hassles. No hidden fees. Honest organization.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019