• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When do you plan to retire and first trip

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Almost everyone I know who has retired go on their dream trip shortly afterwards.

In my case, I do plan to retire by 62. It could be later or earlier depending on how I feel about working. Currently, I love what I do but also want to ensure I get in some healthy retirement years to travel too. I have had some friends that retire late and then get sick and die shortly after. I really don’t want that to be me. I know...not my choice.

My first trip? Well, it’s not really the first trip there but it’s where I want to spend the winters. In Canada, the winters can wear you down along with the shorter daylight hours. When I was a kid, it didn’t bother me....not anymore. I think what has sustained me to keep surviving the winters here is that I go to the Sunny States often. Without that, I think I would be a basket case.

So, I plan to buy a condo in Puerto Vallarta in Old Town and then stay there for 4 months or more per year. Why Puerto Vallarta? The people are wonderful and THE COST OF LIVING is very affordable. Also, health care is affordable. Not to mention, I can get a direct flight there from where I live so I can see my kids easily and they can visit easily too.

My first pick frankly is Hawaii. I love the place but refuse to pay the crazy prices. The cost of living is just nuts. I know, I can afford it but I was raised very poor and I think the stinginess from childhood never left me. I can’t get the cost conscience out of my being.

So,

1. When do you plan to retire if all goes to plan?
2. Where will be your first trip? Is it a dream vacation or just a place you love? Do you plan to live there one day? If you do, why?

Here’s the Melacon in PV.

ccc4c1788a13bb1e8d8185a12455eaa7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
12 yrs ago at 51 and We went to Boston a month later. I was dealing with a mother at the end of her life so the first real trip was skiing at MRG about 1month after she passed.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I retired at 62- 10 years ago, but have been traveling since I was a teen. The DW did too. Our parents must've had itchy feet and passed them off to us. We utilize the several TS weeks and points we have, and only now are some seemingly more trouble than they are worth. We cruise 2-3 times a year and have a second home. I can't begin to count how many 'Trips-of-a-Lifetime' we've taken. Not usually luxurious, because our parents, all were 'children of the Depression', but there was always money to travel. The DW does what you do for work, and finds it rewarding, so she has cut back on office commitments to allow for the travel. It works for us, and probably will for you too.

I can't fault your choice of Puerto Vallarta. Nice place. I similarly 'adopted' Mazatlan about 40 years ago, and most winters spend some time there. We don't own there, but have some favorite haunts.

Enjoy your retirement. Stay active and keep your brain engaged and you will.

Jim

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I retired 16 years ago at 53 yo..Quite young, but couldn't refuse offer.....We considered becoming "snow birds" in Florida..But realized we wouldn't be able to vacation several times per year in different areas; which we love.. (we're not rich)
But when we travel, it's gotta be hot, sunny and on beach..

Whatever you choose will be fantastic I'm sure ....Good Luck

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Retired on a 15 Jan day. Three days later, I was in Steamboat Springs with a season ski pass, moved into a rented place to live and was skiing on the mountain. Eventually bought three time shares that I used for 12 weeks every year.

Wash, rinse, repeat annually and the 23rd time coming up in January 2020.

Go for it, my favorite warm weather place is PV. I usually head there for a week after the ski season ends.

Cheers

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We retired in 2012. No "dream" trip, but we do travel more, and for longer periods, than we did before we were retired.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If it goes as planned, I'll retire 60 days from today. (This may be delayed until the first few months of next year, but for sure by the end of March.) I have a couple of short trips planned (Holiday Weekend in Las Vegas, Valentines weekend in Vancouver, BC.) The first "official" trip as a retiree will be three weeks in Hawaii next Summer. I am SO ready!

Dave

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
No big trips for DH who retired at 60, but still fills in for others at small business 5 days a month. Next year, planning a European cruise, then meeting friends in Italy for 10 days. We enjoy Europe. It's in our comfort zone and the countries are so varied that we can mix it up.
Winter 2021, I hope to cobble together 4 weeks of various Carib/S. Fl timeshares. We have a PT retirement home with endless renovation projects to keep him busy for at least 5+ years!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Retired at 65 and traveled extensively for about 10 years mostly using the 6 TS Weeks I owned. A couple of TIA Events (mini strokes) resulted in me curtailing travel around age 75. I think I had a good run and the TS Weeks are long gone...

George

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we retired, me at 53, the first thing we did was get on a weeklong cruise to Alaska. Up to that point we were tied to our business which required reliable internet and be contactable at all times and as well as no more than 3 hours of timezone away.

After the Alaska cruise, we took transatlantic cruises, Europe and Southeast Asia land tours and cruises.

Three years later we are back to mainly timesharing in North America resorts. We also rejoined the country club here and we are both playing lots of golf.

Life is good.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I retired from a 8:15 - 5pm job on paper ( more liked working 7:00AM to 6pm) Eighteen (18) years ago and our first trip was a Trans Atlantic cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton, England on the Celebrity Century Cruise ship.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I retired on 2/29/2008, and next February 29th, I'll be celebrating my 3rd anniversary. I took the last week off, so we would be in Hawaii on the 29th. I invited all my friends and coworkers to celebrate my retirement, and even offered to buy free drinks, but nobody except DW showed up for the party at the Royal Hawaiian's Mai Tai Bar.

2007-03-01 21-16-16_9.jpg

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We retired at 58.75. That was about 7 years ago. Our first trip was a month in San Jose del Cabo. Our 1 to 2 week trips have become 3 weeks to a month about twice a year with a bunch of 1 week trips scattered during the year. No cruising for us. Patti gets sea sick on a Dock. About 21 months ago we spent 4 weeks in New Zealand and Australia (Rotorua, Pahia in Bay of Islands, Hobart Tasmania, and Sydney). This February we are going back to Australia (Hobart for 2 weeks and Melbourne for 1 week). Next September we are spending 3 weeks on Kaua'i (2 weeks in Poipu and 1 week in Kapa'a).

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We weren't sure how we would "take" to retirement, so we planned travel from Day One so we wouldn't have second thoughts about, "Was it the right decision to retire early?" Like others in this thread, we love Puerto Vallarta, so headed down there for awhile, then on to Sedona to look for a home (didn't find it), then off to Vietnam for a couple of months. We haven't looked back. There is always a new place we want to explore, or a favorite spot we want to revisit and share with family and friends.

I have a brother who died in his early fifties. He and his wife had a wonderful retirement plan, that never happened. I count my blessings EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
All these posts are awesome. All of you went to the next chapter in life with grace and style. Thank you for sharing.

Funny, I am 55 now and really have changed my thoughts. I used to be all career, now I’m all family. I used to be all about acquiring stuff, now I don’t care about that. Heck, I used to be terrified of death. Now I see it as a progression of life. I wonder if my changing thoughts are just natural aging. I am unsure.

I look forward to 62 or sooner. Yup, maybe be a copycat and celebrate in some bar in Hawaii.

Aren’t memories priceless?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Unfortunately we have pets. This cuts into long term trips because the $25 per day for our House/Per Sitter cuts into travel funds. We were down to 1 old cat but then 18 months ago we made the mistake of visiting the Willamette Humane Society. Patti brought home a cat and I brought home Felix (a large GSP). Felix is a pure joy and the first pet I have actually missed when we travel. Almost every day we go for a 1.5 mile walk in a dog park that has open fields, high grass, and trails in the woods.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I retired at 55. We had five timeshare weeks planned in the Carolinas that fall, but hurricane warnings cut it to four. then we went on a five month trip, combo of time shares and rentals to Arkansas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. When we returned home we spent two weeks in Hawaii and then went to Wisconsin Dells for about four months. Spent a month in Missouri and Arkansas in timeshares then did three months in Arizona and California. Back to Illinois and then Wisconsin Dells again. Left in September, and spent 12 weeks New Orleans, Biloxi, and Florida. Then two more long trips to Florida where we finally settled. Then our timeshare trips were mostly on the way up and back between Florida and Wisconsin, u til we started flying back and forth. Now we don’t travel much, my biggest regret.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I've been retired for over a year (I am 63), but hubby(65) doesn't retire until 12/31. We never looked at retirement as the time to take a trip(s). We took trips as we lived our lives all along. Sure- I have a short list of places we have not been yet that we might like to visit (like Italy), but they are on the back burner for now.

We did go to Cape Cod for a week through an exchange BEFORE my last week of work. Hubby will be on "vacation" for XMAS week which will technically be his last week employed, but we will just be spending a few days in our future home state to be with our son, and it is possible we could be closing on our new home shortly thereafter.

We look at retirement as simply not working for an employer and no longer receiving a paycheck.

For retirement we are focusing on the new area where we will be living, downsizing, simplicity, and the lifestyle we want. We are concerned about the long winters where we are headed, though we have weathered them (pardon the pun) all our lives here in NY. It is, however, a place we have vacationed for years (and been to in all seasons) and closer to another state that we have vacationed in as well. We have timeshares in both places. Closer to drive to, which is nice as we get older, and we could exchange any of the three weeks to go elsewhere if we want.

This all said, my first year of retirement has been almost nothing but work (though we did have a nice trip to Utah this past Sept. - which was almost exactly a year after my retirement) and going into the New Year there will be more work for me and my husband to attain what we want. Once we move we do not anticipate any big trips for at least two years as we settle into our new home (which will still need a bit of work). We want to get to know our neighbors, participate in activities, pursue our hobbies, enjoy the area around us, etc.

In other words our priority is getting back into living in our own home again and starting the next phase of our lives so we can eventually really feel retired. We need to do this work now while we still can because we ain't getting any younger. Then we maybe will think about a bucket list type trip again. Or maybe not. Who knows?

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I've been retired for over a year (I am 63), but hubby(65) doesn't retire until 12/31. We never looked at retirement as the time to take a trip(s). We took trips as we lived our lives all along. Sure- I have a short list of places we have not been yet that we might like to visit (like Italy), but it is on the back burner for now.

We did go to Cape Cod for a week through an exchange BEFORE my last week of work. Hubby will be on "vacation" for XMAS week which will technically be his last week employed, but we will just be spending a few days in our future home state to be with our son, and it is possible we could be closing on our new home shortly thereafter.

We look at retirement as simply not working for an employer and no longer receiving a paycheck.

For retirement we are focusing on the new area where we will be living, downsizing, simplicity, and the lifestyle we want. We are concerned about the long winters where we are headed, though we have weathered them (pardon the pun) all our lives here in NY. It is, however, a place we have vacationed for years (and been to in all seasons) and closer to another state that we have vacationed in as well. We have timeshares in both places. Closer to drive to, which is nice as we get older, and we could exchange any of the three weeks to go elsewhere if we want.

This all said, my first year of retirement has been almost nothing but work (though we did have a nice trip to Utah this past Sept. - which was almost exactly a year after my retirement) and going into the New Year there will be more work for me and my husband to attain what we want. Once we move we do not anticipate any big trips for at least two years as we settle into our new home (which will still need a bit of work). We want to get to know our neighbors, participate in activities, pursue our hobbies, enjoy the area around us, etc.

In other words our priority is getting back into living in our own home again and starting the next phase of our lives so we can eventually really feel retired. We need to do this work now while we still can because we ain't getting any younger. Then we maybe will think about a bucket list type trip again. Or maybe not. Who knows?

Knowing a bit of your past from your posts, you were kind of pushed into retirement because of workplace challenges.

Everything you are planning is a Awesome as well. I am sure the next chapter will go well for you.

I have come to learn a simple life is a good thing. I made mine complicated with career at all costs and regretted that when my parents passed away as well as other loved ones. It was then that I realized I was chasing the wrong dream. The money I made didn’t matter as much anymore but the freedom to live how I want did.

Vacationing to me used to be trying to maintain my sanity and recharge for the next work challenges. I used to stay at 5 star resorts. Now, I cherish the simplicity of being in a shack on the beach, grilling fish on the campfire, watching the stars glisten in the sky and have wonderful conversations with friends and family. One can vacation simply and have the best memories ever.

I think we are brain washed to work harder, rat race up, make more money and buy stuff....as I get older my wisdom finally came to the fore and all that matters is the people and environment we cherish.

Saying that, your simple life thinking will produce a wonderful life. You don’t need to be rich to do that.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I am in my mid - late 50s and my DH just turned 60. What is retirement? Not sure when we will retire. It looks like we will slow down the pace but keep our fingers in the pie. We both work although I have been curtailing projects at my business and working part-time in a new encore career which doesn't pay as well but has intrinsic rewards. After the kids graduate from college perhaps we will retire - or not. I would like flexibility to travel more. My job now has flexibility, his doesn't.

Last edited:

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Retired at 62 in 2013 but had to wait for my wife to retire 2 years later. She's 5 years younger and wanted to see how my retirement went. We've traveled throughout the USA,Canada, and Mexico for the past 30 years. We saved Europe until 2 years ago. We also have taken about 15 cruises.
Europe has always been her dream vacation so we have several more trips planned for different parts of Europe.
I love to travel but always like coming back home. We both love the area we live in and so far we have been lucky enough to have our son still able to afford to live in the area. I guess our next two trips we'd both really enjoy is a cruise with our granddaughter and taking her to Hawaii. We've taken both our kids there several times.
Bart