• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's the deal with Vacation Village?

KenK

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I remember them telling everyone on the tour how much they paid per acre. It wasn't much...even most workers in the US could have afforded the price...but the cost to keep it up, and make it homesteadable was probably similiar to someone giving away a great yacht (for free) but the reciever not being able to aford the up keep.

That Hugh Birch was given to the city to be used as a park for the general public. If the city ever tries to sell any part of this gigantic beachfront property, the enire estate goes to Hugh Burchs' University.....I don't remember which one...maybe Indiania??? I do know the minute the city proposes anything like this....they will grab that land.

Meet her? Well, I should say saw her. She was on a porch, near the pond...we were on a tour, which I don't think was supposed to be run when she was in 'her' house.

Note two pix of Bonnet House...the pond area:

http://homepage.mac.com/kekouri/PhotoAlbum3.html

cluemeister

TUG Member
Reaction score
Inclusive golf?

Hey Ken,

You mentioned that you thought some of the original Bonaventure buyers had free golf included with their purchase. I see on their website that the golf is now "discounted".

Is it remotely possible that someone could buy a resale unit from an owner that had golf included and keep that feature? That would be a great loophole!

cluemeister

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not that one, this one

Ken,

It was not that one. It is an annual wk 5 2BR for $520. I think it's a non L/O. Here's the auction:

VVB Ebay Auction

I don't mind owning at VVB, but because I didn't do adequate research, I didn't realize there was a difference between Vacation Village at Bonaventure in Weston and Vacation Village at Weston. That's why I'm concerned about the room quality.

Others have said you can get a Weston unit for similar money to VVB, but I haven't seen that except for fall weeks, something I have no interest in.

It was late at night when I bid, there were already 23 bids, so I figured I would get sniped. I forgot my #1 rule for ebay. Don't bid unless you're ready to buy! Oh well, worse things could happen!

KenK

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't think you messed up. I never see that time of year available on any of the sites.

I really don't think you will be un happy. Espically for that price....and where in the US can you stay at a golf resort in a 2 bed 2 bath unit for the yearly maint fee you will be paying. (I think it also trades via II...)

And it is close enough to plenty of places, including the beach...

mafinster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village @ Parkway
I own VVC @ Parkway but wanted to experience the Disney thing. I am beyond excited that I did an ongoing search & got to exchange for DVC Saratoga Springs. I received my confirmation, and I'm in heaven.
Then I read something way down at the bottom of the confirmation, that there is a regional restriction to an exchange if you own an Orlando resort or a resort within 30 miles of Disneyworld.
Now, I already got my welcome email from Disney, already ordered my wristbands & park passes. No mention from anyone about this being cancelled. Should I worry? Is this restriction from VVC or DVC? Does anyone have any experience with this? Trip is in October.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
DVC arranged for this restriction when they contracted with RCI to handle their external exchanges. DVC had a similar restriction years ago when they traded via II. You may want to have a back up plan in place, just in case. It's a real thing. JMHO. Sorry.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We have stayed at VV in Weston and Mizner Place in Weston also. Have not stayed at Buenventre yet, of the two we prefer VV in Weston.
The reason there is so much availability is because there are so many buildings and units to choose from.
We stay here because our son lives in the area and we can visit and enjoy the resort.
Silentg

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
This is a very old thread, 13 years old, which was brought back to life by mafinster because he/she is doubting an exchange received with VVP to DVC Saratoga Springs.

Relax, mafinster, and hope your week at SSR does not get cancelled. As Lisa P said, make sure you have a backup for that week, just in case. Is the week coming up soon?

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Not that one, this one

Ken,

It was not that one. It is an annual wk 5 2BR for $520. I think it's a non L/O. Here's the auction:

VVB Ebay Auction

I don't mind owning at VVB, but because I didn't do adequate research, I didn't realize there was a difference between Vacation Village at Bonaventure in Weston and Vacation Village at Weston. That's why I'm concerned about the room quality.

Others have said you can get a Weston unit for similar money to VVB, but I haven't seen that except for fall weeks, something I have no interest in.

It was late at night when I bid, there were already 23 bids, so I figured I would get sniped. I forgot my #1 rule for ebay. Don't bid unless you're ready to buy! Oh well, worse things could happen!
VVB is pet friendly too

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, the thread I posted 13 years ago is active again!

I own VVC @ Parkway but wanted to experience the Disney thing. I am beyond excited that I did an ongoing search & got to exchange for DVC Saratoga Springs. I received my confirmation, and I'm in heaven.
Then I read something way down at the bottom of the confirmation, that there is a regional restriction to an exchange if you own an Orlando resort or a resort within 30 miles of Disneyworld.
Now, I already got my welcome email from Disney, already ordered my wristbands & park passes. No mention from anyone about this being cancelled. Should I worry? Is this restriction from VVC or DVC? Does anyone have any experience with this? Trip is in October.
Mafinster, the best place to ask would be on the Exchange board. Yes, RCI may cancel trades that violate the Orlando-area restriction for Disney, but I have no experience with this. I fact, I only register my Orlando weeks with II, not RCI, to avoid exactly this problem. Someone on the exchange board may be better able to tell you if RCI has been canceling exchanges lately and if so, how long it takes them to inform exchangers. This problem occurs with any Orlando-area weeks in RCI, not just VVP. If your Disney confirmation is canceled, I'd say there's a 100% chance that Disney will know you are not staying onsite and cancel all your onsite privileges. If Disney didn't do this, they'd have constant problems with people booking to get onsite privileges, then canceling.

Now, on to to my experience with VVP at Parkway. I decided to give it a try, but it really didn't suit me and I haven't been back.

Problem 1: Noise. I have to rest a lot during the day due to illness, so I really appreciate a resort that's quiet during the day. Here's what I said in 2006:
I like shady pools, but I still see drawbacks with having buildings around the pool. There will be no privacy for swimmers, and it will be noisy for anyone staying in the units that face the pool -- in fact, I just came across a VVP review complaining about this...
Right. So, I request a quiet location in VVP and they gave me -- a room facing the pool. Noisy, as expected. Also, there was noise from the unit above me.

Problem 2: Crowded pool with cloudy water.
There seemed to be too many guests for the pool facilities to handle. I love swimming and sometimes don't even go to the parks. So, this was a problem. I wasn't sure the cloudiness meant the pool was dirty, but I can't risk coming down with something. I stayed out of the pool the whole trip.

Problem 3: Scary parking situation. My theme park strategy is to visit the parks at the end of the day. I always feel better later in the day, and I can avoid the hot sun and the crowds. But, this meant there was no parking near my room when I got back. It was my very first solo trip to Disney and I had to park in a dark, deserted parking structure, then walk alone past a construction site to get to my room. Yikes! I never encountered anyone at all while returning to my room, but I felt unsafe.

Obviously, my Disney vacationing style is different from almost everyone else's, but this resort just didn't fit me. So, now I usually stay at another, very large resort -- the original Sheraton Vistana. Seven pool complexes, lots of spacious grounds and amenities, parking right by my room, and quiet. Ahhhhh.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Wow, the thread I posted 13 years ago is active again!

Mafinster, the best place to ask would be on the Exchange board. Yes, RCI may cancel trades that violate the Orlando-area restriction for Disney, but I have no experience with this. I fact, I only register my Orlando weeks with II, not RCI, to avoid exactly this problem. Someone on the exchange board may be better able to tell you if RCI has been canceling exchanges lately and if so, how long it takes them to inform exchangers. This problem occurs with any Orlando-area weeks in RCI, not just VVP. If your Disney confirmation is canceled, I'd say there's a 100% chance that Disney will know you are not staying onsite and cancel all your onsite privileges. If Disney didn't do this, they'd have constant problems with people booking to get onsite privileges, then canceling.

Now, on to to my experience with VVP at Parkway. I decided to give it a try, but it really didn't suit me and I haven't been back.

Problem 1: Noise. I have to rest a lot during the day due to illness, so I really appreciate a resort that's quiet during the day. Here's what I said in 2006:

Right. So, I request a quiet location in VVP and they gave me -- a room facing the pool. Noisy, as expected. Also, there was noise from the unit above me.

Problem 2: Crowded pool with cloudy water.
There seemed to be too many guests for the pool facilities to handle. I love swimming and sometimes don't even go to the parks. So, this was a problem. I wasn't sure the cloudiness meant the pool was dirty, but I can't risk coming down with something. I stayed out of the pool the whole trip.

Problem 3: Scary parking situation. My theme park strategy is to visit the parks at the end of the day. I always feel better later in the day, and I can avoid the hot sun and the crowds. But, this meant there was no parking near my room when I got back. It was my very first solo trip to Disney and I had to park in a dark, deserted parking structure, then walk alone past a construction site to get to my room. Yikes! I never encountered anyone at all while returning to my room, but I felt unsafe.

Obviously, my Disney vacationing style is different from almost everyone else's, but this resort just didn't fit me. So, now I usually stay at another, very large resort -- the original Sheraton Vistana. Seven pool complexes, lots of spacious grounds and amenities, parking right by my room, and quiet. Ahhhhh.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We have owned RCI points at the Misner Place Vacation Village Property since 2006. When we went to Disney with our Daughter, Son-in Law, and 2 Grandchildren we stayed in a 2 BR at the Vacation Village Parkway and enjoyed it very much. Since we had a car to get to and from Disney it satisfied our needs. However, over the years we have been looking more and more for properties that are located so that we don't need a car on vacation. The Vacation Village Properties are located so that you do need a car. Therefore, they have become less desirable for us. For instance we like to go to Las Vegas and stay on or near the center of the strip without a car. The Vacation Village Las Vegas properties are in the middle of no where! In addition, we have vacationed in Honolulu, Miami South Beach, New Orleans, San Diego, San Francisco, New York City without a car for over 1000 nights.

However, the Misner Place Vacation Village Property is a GREAT TRADER. We recently used the points to get 2 weeks in Maui at the Kaanapali Beach Club Resort on the Ocean.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We've stayed at VVP at least four times over the last several years. Most recently for three weeks this Spring. Our granddaughters ages 3 and 7 love the resort as do my husband and I for the girls. We always ask for buildings 1-6 as that is where the playground is. With younger kids it is so convenient to be able to walk out the door and have the pool, picnic tables, grills and playground right there. Our granddaughters really enjoy the face painting, snow cones, games, activities and movie nights by the pool that are all free (included in the $30 activities fee). There are different water features for the girls at the different pools so we go to all the pools.

We are also Wyndham owners and the girls have been to Star Island, Bonnet Creek and Reunion in addition to Saratoga Springs and Disney's Animal Kingdom Kidani Village in a savanna view unit. We go to Orlando with our granddaughters three or four times a year and that they ask to go back to VVP with us in agreement speaks well of the resort.