TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

What's the best Credit Card payback card vs benefits available ?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by Tank, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Tank

Tank TUG Member

Looking for a new credit card that can give the most bang for my buck

Could be travel benefits, hotel stays, miles

Why do you like your card, and what advantage perk do you get?

I use the IHG Chase card now earning points for hotel stays.
    Like everything else they are making cuts costing lots of points for me and it's time to look for another card

Dave

2. presley

presley TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

If you travel a couple times every year, the Chase that costs $450./year is likely your best bet. You get a $300. travel credit each year. There's lots of other stuff, but I don't use that card, so you'll want to look it up. They have a lower cost card for $95./year which is good if you are scared of the $450/ one, but if you travel a lot and/or fly at least once per year, the more expensive card is probably better.

I use the $450./year Hilton American express. It gives one free weekend hotel night per year, a $200. resort credit each year and when you charge $60K in a calendar year, you get an extra free weekend night. If you charge that much, you are also earning hotel points, so you come out with a lot more than just the 2 free weekend nights each year.

I also like my double cash back Citibank MC. I get 2% cash back on everything that I charge to the card. It adds up pretty quickly and I just take the cash back as a payment credit on the card and that covers stuff like a plane ticket or a chunk of a cruise, or Disneyland annual passes. I like the freedom of cash back because I just want to do what I want to do and not choose between offerings put up by a credit card.

Tank likes this.
  3. Rolltydr

Rolltydr TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    CWA
    I love my citi cashback card. I deposit the cashback monthly into a holiday club account and we use that money to pay for a December trip every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpumilia and Tank like this.
  4. CO skier

CO skier TUG Member

I have the IHG Mastercard. $49 annual fee with automatic Platinum status. A free night is awarded annually, and I spend these on nights that would otherwise cost $250-300, usually in Moab, Springdale, UT, or the Desert Resort in Las Vegas. I charge my hotel stays to the IHG card to earn 5X bonus points.

I charge most everything else, including daily expenses, to my Discover Card. I have used this card for 35 years, because I have never found a better deal than the 2% cash back, plus the 5% cash back specials that change from time to time.

I never carry a credit card balance, so that is why this system works for me. For someone who does carry a balance, finding the absolute lowest interest rate card would be the best deal.

eta: I just looked at my Discover Card statements. It looks like the 2% cash back has changed to 1% somewhere in the last 35 years. I think I might be in the market for a new, better deal.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Tank likes this.
  5. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Our current favorite is Chase Sapphire Reserve and the built-in travel insurance and primary collision coverage for rental car are more than enough to cover the $150 balance of the $450 fee in which $300 of that is refunded for travel charges. 3 points per $1 spent and it is worth 1.5 cents per point when used to purchase travel through their portal.

We may kill this card down the line as we do less international travel and focus on timeshare travel only.

Tank likes this.
  6. Kozman

Kozman TUG Member

Sam's club Mastercard. 5% back on all gas stations, 3% on travel, 1% other charges.

Tank and pittle like this.
  7. Tank

Tank TUG Member

Thanks for the replies.

Thru the HIVC timeshare system they partnered with the IHG in 2009 when they became HICV and went to the point system. When we make reservations , or pretty much all transactions even MF payment to HICV we would earn the
    5 to 1 points to IHG if we used our card since 2009 this has happened.
    May of 2019 this ended. Chase or IHG says nothing changed. The Chase description has not changed on the statement.

The IHG card is needed with our system to transfer points when needed at a 4 to 5 ratio. I can't get rid of it.
    It was an important perk with our system

By the way they push the new card , it has a higher Annual fee $99 but instead of the 5to1 ratio it gives you a 10 to 1 on IHG stays.
    Yes I was paid the 10 to 1 on all timeshare transactions / reservations

8. mpumilia

mpumilia TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    Not for travel but I like American Express Blue. 6% on groceries; 3% on gas and 1% everything else. Each year I cash in as a credit on my card.

VacationForever likes this.