• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's happened to Resort Villas@ Welk Resorts Inventory

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Welk website confirms the switch over to RCI as primary exchange company. Seems like 2018 is somewhat of a transition year (at least with regard to Welk covering owner's II costs). See FAQs at bottom of page.

https://welkresorts.com/own/rci/

Yes, they are switching to RCI. But some owners will continue to exchange through ii and/or will be dual affiliated. That is why about eight of the older Marriotts (e.g., Desert Springs Villas I) are semi-dual affiliated. Most inventory goes to ii but some shows up in RCI. Interestingly, the RCI listing calls the resort "Desert Springs Villas I" and has dropped the Marriott part from the name.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We attended a sales presentation at Welk San Diego on the day they officially announced their affiliation with RCI. Welk owners will be able to exchange through both RCI and II, but Welk ownership will now include paid membership to RCI only. If owner wishes to exchange within II also, they will be on their own to pay for the II membership and register their Welk unit(s).

hjtug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Due to some plans of our Southern CA family it became very unlikely that we would book at Welk San Diego this spring for a visit. However, I kept searching in II for a Resort Villa 2 bedroom for March to see whether exchange or getaway availability might show up in spite of Welk's shifting to RCI. Nothing appeared until today when exchanges showed up for March and April. Also some accommodation certificate availability for March. Perhaps the resort has found that rentals and RCI exchanges have not been meeting their needs.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes! Welk now exchange only thru RCI, no more Getaways .:bawl:

vikingsholm

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Due to some plans of our Southern CA family it became very unlikely that we would book at Welk San Diego this spring for a visit. However, I kept searching in II for a Resort Villa 2 bedroom for March to see whether exchange or getaway availability might show up in spite of Welk's shifting to RCI. Nothing appeared until today when exchanges showed up for March and April. Also some accommodation certificate availability for March. Perhaps the resort has found that rentals and RCI exchanges have not been meeting their needs.
I noticed that too. Can't figure out what's going on with Welk, thought they were moving out of II almost exclusively to RCI.
I hope they continue to use both. I will trade for them within II, but they require too many TPUs IMO for their RCI trades.

dannybaker

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have owned welk for over 15 years, we bought there because we could trade with both II AND RCI.
Welk has paid our II dues for as long as I can remember as part of ownership. Last month that changed and we can still trade with II we just have to pay a II fee.We already have a II account with Marriott but will need to open another account to use II with welk weeks.

hjtug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Duplicate post removed.

Last edited:

hjtug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes! Welk now exchange only thru RCI, no more Getaways .:bawl:
Some getaways and exchanges have shown up again in II. The getaways are expensive for the 2 bedroom villas - over $1000.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welk just signed on with RCI. They've transferred II Points ownerships into RCI Points. They're also offering and encouraging Weeks owners to deposit with RCI.
Also, Welk has an exclusive contract with RCI to trade into 20 of the top-rated resorts in RCI. I don't know all the details, but reading between the lines... inventory is tied up because there's a changeover. And, since it's RCI, filters and mini-systems are getting first priority over this inventory.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Welk in Escondido as week owner in the Villas and just came back from staying at our unit. We were told while there that Welk would only trade thru RCI. That is whom we've always used in the past even though I know they used to be duel affiliated.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
We own at Welk in Escondido as week owner in the Villas and just came back from staying at our unit. We were told while there that Welk would only trade thru RCI. That is whom we've always used in the past even though I know they used to be duel affiliated.
From what I've read from other Welk owners, I believe that Welk will endorse/prefer RCI but will also continue to trade through ii. But if an owner wants to use ii, they need to buy their own annual membership. Their RCI membership is paid through the MF. When someone who works at the timeshare or sells them, and tells you something, you can assume that they may not be telling the complete truth.

People assume that Marriott ownly trades through ii, but the truth is that there are some older units (like Desert Springs Villas I) that still exchange through RCI.