• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What would you do!

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I consider TS a hobby... And have found it so addicting it has got a little expensive lately.

So I think I want to par down my holdings.... Just can’t seem to wrap my head around what I should sell and what I should keep.

While I’m not opposed to renting every now and then if life happens and I can not go, I don’t want to be in the renting business either.

I originally started out with a WM contract. Bought more WM, added some Wyndham. Then RCI Points via the Grandview and finally topped off with a Hyatt Piñon Point, and Coconut Plantation.

The cool thing by getting involved in various systems I have learned a lot and honed in more from what I want from a TS.

I wouldn’t mind my total MF bill for the year if I was retired and could use all my time but the wife and I only get 4 weeks vacation a year and will probably work 7-10 more years arg!

I have 406K Wyndham Points between 2 contracts. Good for at least 2 weeks a year vacation. 39K WM credits good for about 4 weeks of Vacation. 196K RCI Points with the Grandview. (You could easily get 5 weeks, out of this many points.) 3760 Hyatt Points between 2 contracts. 2+ weeks

The Hyatt contracts I like and definately want to keep they are flexible once you understand the system and fairly easy to internally trade, but trade very well in Interval also, and would easily rent to cover MFs plus some.

Wyndham has nice resorts, but not as flexible compared to WM. Plus it seems like I can pretty much get what I want from a VIP cheaper than my MF’s

WM not as nice as Wyndham on a per resort basis, but generally has resorts in places others don’t like city’s and close to National Parks. Where WorldMark shines is flexibility and as use as a trader especially in II. WM can pull all the elite resorts including Hyatt, while Hyatt blocks Hyatt’s from pulling Hyatt’s in II.

Grandview - itself I have never stayed most that do appear to like it. RCI Points are flexible and go far so far I have around 664,000 of them currently... I use 50% of them a year on rental cars the rest for exchange stays. But when stays last minute only cost about 10,000 points or less they are hard to use. Problem with RCI is more fees to use the points... and you can’t rent exchanges if you have more than you can use.

My idea was to sell off (1) Wyndham Account (1) smaller of my two WM accounts and (1) RCI Points account.

What would you guys do???

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I can't offer any specific advice because I'm not familiar with your ts systems, but I feel your pain. I have a spreadsheet showing our usage and even with extending deposits using eplus, I don't think that we can work through our backlog before things expire. We just have too many weeks. I have been selling things along the way and renting some, but we are still overloaded, lol. I am sure that I will figure something out but it's kind of unsettling. Good luck!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I consider TS a hobby... And have found it so addicting it has got a little expensive lately.

So I think I want to par down my holdings.... Just can’t seem to wrap my head around what I should sell and what I should keep.

While I’m not opposed to renting every now and then if life happens and I can not go, I don’t want to be in the renting business either.

I originally started out with a WM contract. Bought more WM, added some Wyndham. Then RCI Points via the Grandview and finally topped off with a Hyatt Piñon Point, and Coconut Plantation.

The cool thing by getting involved in various systems I have learned a lot and honed in more from what I want from a TS.

I wouldn’t mind my total MF bill for the year if I was retired and could use all my time but the wife and I only get 4 weeks vacation a year and will probably work 7-10 more years arg!

I have 406K Wyndham Points between 2 contracts. Good for at least 2 weeks a year vacation. 39K WM credits good for about 4 weeks of Vacation. 196K RCI Points with the Grandview. (You could easily get 5 weeks, out of this many points.) 3760 Hyatt Points between 2 contracts. 2+ weeks

The Hyatt contracts I like and definately want to keep they are flexible once you understand the system and fairly easy to internally trade, but trade very well in Interval also, and would easily rent to cover MFs plus some.

Wyndham has nice resorts, but not as flexible compared to WM. Plus it seems like I can pretty much get what I want from a VIP cheaper than my MF’s

WM not as nice as Wyndham on a per resort basis, but generally has resorts in places others don’t like city’s and close to National Parks. Where WorldMark shines is flexibility and as use as a trader especially in II. WM can pull all the elite resorts including Hyatt, while Hyatt blocks Hyatt’s from pulling Hyatt’s in II.

Grandview - itself I have never stayed most that do appear to like it. RCI Points are flexible and go far so far I have around 664,000 of them currently... I use 50% of them a year on rental cars the rest for exchange stays. But when stays last minute only cost about 10,000 points or less they are hard to use. Problem with RCI is more fees to use the points... and you can’t rent exchanges if you have more than you can use.

My idea was to sell off (1) Wyndham Account (1) smaller of my two WM accounts and (1) RCI Points account.

What would you guys do???
Definitely agree to keep the Hyatts. Making your portfolio smaller by reducing the rest across the board as you have suggested leaves you in the game for each. What I will add, now that you know the systems, and you obviously know what works for you and doesn’t, put some thought do you really want what you will have left? Is it your ideal portfolio of timeshares. If it is you have a good plan, if not, maybe now is the time to get rid of everything but your Hyatt’s and pursue your to hobby to put together the ts portfolio that will be perfect for you. That’s what I have done.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I know nothing about RCI points but wonder if using them for rental cars is an efficient use. It is not for Wyndham points.

As an aside, if RCI (Wyndham) were really interested in enhancing owner value, renting exchanges should be allowed. Unfortunately, things are going the other way. Wyndham spins the changes as enhancements but almost all of them diminish, rather than enhance, value.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I would get rid of the Wyndham properties and keep the Hyatt

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I strongly recommend against using RCI Points for rental cars. Do not pay for a rental car with anything other than a credit card, unless it is a rental of just one day and you will pay directly for the collision damage waiver.

In fact, I recommend against using anything to pay for a rental car except a credit card that comes with primary collision damage waivers for free (best choice for a timeshare owner: Chase Sapphire Reserve), or a credit card that has primary collision damage waivers set up to be added automatically for $20-$25.

So, the first thing I would get rid of is the Grandview RCI Points contract.

I don't own Wyndham, but the system sounds user-unfriendly to me. So, if you can rent less expensively, I'd get rid of the Wyndhams second. But, I thought it had become harder for VIPs to book weeks for cheap. Can anyone briefly summarize what has happened to VIPs booking weeks more cheaply than regular owners, or refer me to a post that has a summary? I'd be very interested in hearing about that.

Selling one Worldmark contract would also work, unless you use a lot of Worldmark credits. You can rent in up to 2x your annual WM credit each year. On the other hand, renting out Worldmark credits is also very easy. So, just keeping your Worldmarks and selling the Grandview and Wyndhams would also work.

Sounds like your Hyatts and one or two Worldmark contracts would be enough for your current timeshare usage.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion only I would hold onto Hyatt’s and WM since you can get four (4) weeks per year with WM.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I think I want to par down my holdings.... Just can’t seem to wrap my head around what I should sell and what I should keep...What would you guys do???

What I did back when I owned 6 TS Weeks and was considering cutting back was to make a conscious effort to divest one a year. The one I chose was a combination of hanging on to the ones I least wanted to get rid of, figuring out which ones I could most easily get rid of and what I could or couldn't get for them. Having the goal of one per year and pretty much sticking with it worked for me...

George

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would start by selling the Grandview RCI points. You're not using them all for TS stays anyway, and anything in RCI you want you can probably get with your Wyndham/Worldmark. Grandview should be pretty saleable as well.

Then see how you're doing going forward. You can always buy another Grandview when you retire.

If that's still too much I would trim either WM or Wyndham, whichever you use less for home resort stays. I think WM is a better trader (II flexibility) but ultimately if you use one for home resort reservations I'd prioritize keeping that.