• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What would you do with 300K Hilton Honors points?

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a Marriott timeshare owner and know that system pretty well.

There is a travel package with Marriott that allows you to purchase a hotel certificate and airline miles. I thought Hilton had something similar but I couldn't find anything on their website.

Not sure what we'll do with these points so I thought I'd get ideas here.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have about 2.5M HHonors points (don't ask...). We tend to use them for pricier hotels and pay for the less expensive stays.

Cheers.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
The better/nicer Hilton resorts/hotels will be 80,000pts per night. So, 300K will get you less than 4 nights.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed. We've used them for just those sorts of hotels. But sometimes 3 nights at a place like that can be worth it :)

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Grand Wailea, Maui
Conrad London, NYC or other NYC properties
Waldorf Cavalieri Rome
Conrad Bora Bora
Waldorf Beverly Hills or Bev hilton

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Recently spent 5 nights at the Hilton Buffalo Thunder Resort in Santa Fe, NM, for 192,000 HHONORS points. Next year we will spend five nights at the Rome Cavalieri for 320,000 HHONORS points. This will be followed by a nine day Greek Island cruise paid with HGVC points.

Last June we redeemed Bonvoy points for a 5 night stay at the St. Regis in Kauai. This past January we redeemed Bonvoy points for a 5 night stay at the Westin Riverfront Resort in Avon, Co.

I enjoy both systems. However, I think the Hilton system offers more flexibility whereas the Bonvoy system offers more destinations. I think the HGVC point system is far superior to the MVC point system. I have no intention of converting my MVC weeks into points.

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
The better/nicer Hilton resorts/hotels will be 80,000pts per night. So, 300K will get you less than 4 nights.

Waldorfs all day, all the time. We stayed at the one in Orlando for a free weekend night (Aspire perk). Oh, mylanta! I’ve ruined all other hotels for my wife now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
We each have an Aspire card since they pay us $50 to have it and give us the free night :)

Cheers.
Do you have 2 completely separate Aspire accounts, or is your wife's a second card on your account?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought I read on Hilton Honors site that they also offer 5th night free when redeeming for 4? I am an infrequent Hilton guest but I am also sitting on about 360K Hilton points currently. I have their Surpass card which gets free breakfast for Gold. I have yet to stay at a Hilton since acquiring the Surpass card.

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
I thought I read on Hilton Honors site that they also offer 5th night free when redeeming for 4? I am an infrequent Hilton guest but I am also sitting on about 360K Hilton points currently. I have their Surpass card which gets free breakfast for Gold. I have yet to stay at a Hilton since acquiring the Surpass card.

Correct. You could get 5 nights for the price of 4 when you redeem for consecutive nights. We used 240k points at the Hilton Gaslamp in San Diego last July. 5 nights would have run us for about $2400. For reals you could get 5 nights (for the price of 4) as a standard reward at nearly any locale. Dream big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pennygodwin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club, Kohala Suites, HGVC Flamingo, WorldMark, Marriott (manage), Orange Lake (manage), HGVC, Las Vegas (manage)
I'm a Marriott timeshare owner and know that system pretty well.

There is a travel package with Marriott that allows you to purchase a hotel certificate and airline miles. I thought Hilton had something similar but I couldn't find anything on their website.

Not sure what we'll do with these points so I thought I'd get ideas here.
I'd stay at the Hilton Waikola on the Big Island - book 5 nights. With Hilton points you pay for 4 (with points) and get the 5th one for free! You can easily do that with 300,000 points.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
We each have an Aspire card since they pay us $50 to have it and give us the free night :)

Cheers.
I have two aspire cards now and wife has one. Waiting for another upgrade offer so wife can go from the amex hilton no AF card to the surpass for 150k points. Then hopefully will get another offer to upgrade her surpass to aspire.

I applied for the no AF hilton amex. The application page said thay I would not be able to get the 90k bonus even though i have never had the amex honors card.

I waited till i received the email for my free weekend night due to 15k spend on ascend. Then upgraded ascend to aspire for 150k hh points. When the prorated AF for Aspire got charged, I got an email the following week for free weekend night for having aspire card. For $150 prorated AF, I received 150k hh points, $250 hilton resort credit, $250 airline credit and a free weekend night certificate.

Now we will make $150 annually and get 3 free weekend night certificates for having aspire card. Plus get 14x points from paying annual MF, hgvc booking fees and paying for TAT taxes at hawaii HGVC timeshare stays.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have 2 completely separate Aspire accounts, or is your wife's a second card on your account?

Two accounts. And she has the primary account, so I could be the second on hers :)

She handles the Hilton and Hyatt (Hyatt for primary spend). I do Bonvoy, Amex Plat and CSR. We both get Hilton status. She earns Hyatt, I get Bonvoy.

We realized that it made sense for me to get my own Aspire card since we make money and get a free night. It lives in a drawer and I don't use it, but it's an investment :)

Cheers.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

Cheers.

How do they pay you $50 to have the card? We both have Surpass cards. I moved all of DH's points to my HH account with the intention of closing his card. I'm trying to simplify cards.

Is the Ascend the same as the Surpass? I've looked on the website and only see 3 personal cards. No AF, Surpass and Aspire.

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do they pay you $50 to have the card? We both have Surpass cards. I moved all of DH's points to my HH account with the intention of closing his card. I'm trying to simplify cards.

Is the Ascend the same as the Surpass? I've looked on the website and only see 3 personal cards. No AF, Surpass and Aspire.

Yes, WAY back (well like 2+ years ago?) Surpass got renamed to Ascend. And then they just recently renamed it back to Surpass again.

Aspire is the $450 AF card.
However, it gives a $250 Air travel credit (which if you play it right you can use it for plane tickets at least on Delta--see Flyertalk for the credit card section in the Amex/Membership Rewards sub-forum).

That brings the AF down to $200.
Then if you pay your MF (depending on where your HGVC is located at), that will typically trigger the $250 Resort Credit (there's a thread here about which locations trigger - HGV Flamingo and I think BLVD locations trigger it among others).

so now, you're being "paid" $50 for the card.

And then toss in the free weekend Certificate and you come out way ahead, IMO.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, WAY back (well like 2+ years ago?) Surpass got renamed to Ascend. And then they just recently renamed it back to Surpass again.

Aspire is the $450 AF card.
However, it gives a $250 Air travel credit (which if you play it right you can use it for plane tickets at least on Delta--see Flyertalk for the credit card section in the Amex/Membership Rewards sub-forum).

That brings the AF down to $200.
Then if you pay your MF (depending on where your HGVC is located at), that will typically trigger the $250 Resort Credit (there's a thread here about which locations trigger - HGV Flamingo and I think BLVD locations trigger it among others).

so now, you're being "paid" $50 for the card.

And then toss in the free weekend Certificate and you come out way ahead, IMO.

Yup. In addition to Delta, there are some things that work on AS as well (also fee the Flyertalk discussion on that). So, we make $50 right off the top. The weekend nights we're using at the Conrad London are about $300 each, we now we're up $350 on the card :)

I personally pay about $2100 in credit card membership fees annually (and mrs. brp is maybe something line $700 or so), and we get back more in value (cash and other considerations) than we pay.

Cheers.

hgvcowner88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
HGVC Tuscany Village
HGVC Boulevard
We're using 210,000 HHonors points to stay at a Waldorf Astoria in downtown New Orleans on the weekend before Mardi Gras (Mardi Gras is Tuesday officially). The stay is 3 nights at 70,000 a night instead of $425 a night.