TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

What was your DriversED car?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by DrQ, May 8, 2019.

1. OldGuy

OldGuy Guest

Resorts Owned:
    some
    Remember your instructor?

Mine was our girls basketball and boys baseball coach, Mr. Brown.

At the end, Highway Patrol came out and we had our driving tests, and got our license. I made a point of emphasizing stuff during the test, like using the turn signal when I pulled out of the parking space to start the test. At the end, he told me I scored 99%, because I did not signal when I pulled out of the parking space.

:confused:

Then, when you see how people drive today, stuff like not turning from the inside lane to the inside lane (remember "wide turn"), or tailgating, not to mention just plain driving 90 mph, what difference does it make?

:D

2. sdbrier

sdbrier TUG Member

Technically it was a ‘79 Chevy Caprice Classic, but my training started around age ten in our 2 1/2 ton grain trucks. Put on many miles in the fields and country roads looking through the steering wheel.

PigsDad likes this.
  3. Timeshare Von

Timeshare Von TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
    Lifetime in Hawaii (floating 1-52 annual week)
    1973 Ford Galaxy 500 I believe . . . talk about a lead sled! It was Fairfax County . . . summer of 1974.

DrQ likes this.
  4. rapmarks

rapmarks TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

I just found out that at the schools nearby in Wisconsin, students have to pay for drivers ed, and it is about $800.

5. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed), Inverness by the Sea
    That has been the case for us for the last 15 years. When I was growing up, the coaches also taught Drivers Ed and the vehicles were donated by local dealerships for a year or two.

controller1 likes this.
  6. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 14.4K Points.
    I took drivers ed in summer school, never missed a class because I enjoyed the air conditioned trailer the driving simulator was in. As I recall the console, steering wheel and pedals were Dodge. I enjoyed the simulator movies, having to watch every parked car for a door to open or a kid to pop out chasing a ball. They also made us watch the scare movies, Signal 30, Red Asphalt, Mechanized Death.

When we finally got to drive a car it was a big Ford 4 door sedan. I think we were all terrified of merging on to the highway.

My first car was a 59 Chevy ragtop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DrQ likes this.
  7. PigsDad

PigsDad TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
    Driver's ED is not part of any school around here. I'm surprised that it is included in any school these days. It is all private companies, and they charge anywhere from $400-$700 when our daughter took her training a couple of years ago.

Kurt

Timeshare Von likes this.
  8. Timeshare Von

Timeshare Von TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
    Lifetime in Hawaii (floating 1-52 annual week)
    Actually now thinking about . . . it was probably a Grand Torino, not a Galaxie 500.

DrQ likes this.
  9. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed), Inverness by the Sea
    Our was the Cross-Country coach. We lived on the edge of farming country and he would tell us to be especially careful around farm machinery on the road. He would accuse them of being seriously lacking of intellect. He told us of his uncle "stumpy" who lost several fingers on one hand by clearing a jam on a running corn picker. :eek: I didn't think much of it until I met a fishing guide who was a farmer with a prosthetic leg. He did the fishing guide job for extra money. I found out that he had lost his leg clearing a jam from a hay baler :rolleyes:.

10. OldGuy

OldGuy Guest

Resorts Owned:
    some
    You don't have to tell this Iowa boy about missing appendages from farm equipment!!!!

I hated track, and I can imagine how much more I would have hated cross country. I guess I needed a ball, any sort of ball, to hold my interest. Hitting, kicking, throwing, catching, shooting, or dribbling had to be involved.

11. bobpark56

bobpark56 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista, Westin Lagunamar, Westin St John, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, DRI (Hawaii & US Collections)
    I learned to drive on a gray Ford Tractor...while getting paid 35 cents an hour by the farmer who employed me (circa 1949). Moving up to my mother's 1938 Hudson Terraplane (3-on-the-floor) in 1951 for the 12-mile drive to High School was then a cinch.