• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to see on Oahu once you think you've seen it all !!!

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We lived on Oahu long ago for two years in the 60's and have gone back about 20 times over the years. Each trip we try to see one or two new things. They're almost always some new buildings. On our last trip we saw the home which we had never seen before that is valued at over $1 billion dollars. The home was built in the 30s By Doris Duke with a seemingly unlimited budget. Is it Open only through the Honolulu museum but is a very worthwhile tour. We are getting close to ending or long flight travel journeys as we are approaching 80 and travel becomes more difficult. We are going to Oahu in December for two weeks and would like to see others post the back roads of Oahu. We own the right to use four weeks on Oahu and this will be our last usage.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
That's a great question. The first thing that came to mind is to revisit a few of your favorite venues that you haven't seen in a while, or just a number of your all-time favorites. You could call it "cgeidl's Greatest Hits on Oahu."

Whatever you choose to do, have a wonderful time.

Best regards.

Mike

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Book a tour with Oahu Photography Tours. They'll show you some great things you may not have considered seeing on your own. And they do the driving. ;)

Incidentally, I also lived on Oahu in the 1960's. What part of the island were you on?

Dave

cgeidl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We lived above the airport near the Navy/Marine golf course in a concrete block Navy Home.Not fancy but fun,Dave.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
In the 60's we lived in the Military Housing in Ewa Beach area. It was a great place for kids - beaches, woods, Pearl Harbor, a lagoon at the end of the road, ferries to Hickam area, etc.

somewhereoutthere

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You may have already been there, but if you are interested in the history of the islands, we really liked going to the sugar plantation village in Waipahu: http://www.hawaiiplantationvillage.org/

We were the only ones there, so we had a private tour with guide who grew up on a sugar plantation. It was very interesting to see the different housing each of the immigrant cultures had, and to think about those various cultures coming together in Hawaii to work on the sugar plantations.

It is not touristy at all. We got the sense that very few people go, and that mostly they cater to local children on school field trips. We went with a friend who is a local.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
If you've never been there, go to the Puʻu ʻUalakaʻa State Wayside Park on Round Top Dr. There's a spectacular 180 degree view from the airport to Diamond Head.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
New things on Oahu include International Market Place with lots of great places to eat on the top level. They also have an upscale food court on the first level and Kuhio St side that has several good place to get some food. If you like music, check out Blue Note that is a dinner jazz club right above Dukes. Ala Moana Mall added a section on the Eva end called Japan Village with a Japanese Food Court on the ground floor. Overall, really nice landscaping on the main level and nice place to walk around in the new section of the mall.

Check out Kailua town and how it has changed. Lots of new development and also has lots more tourist walking around. We just had an excellent lunch (fresh fish cooked Chinese style) at Buzzes next to Kailua Beach. After that, took a drive through Lanikai that has been through an incredible amount of growth with beautiful new homes.

The west side of the island with the Marriott Resorts keeps changing and getting bigger and better. Parking is difficult out there, so you might have to book a lunch at one of the hotels like the Disney Resort, Aulani and pay to park. After that, walk the sidewalks around the Lagoons.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
We lived on Oahu long ago for two years in the 60's and have gone back about 20 times over the years.

I hope this last usage will be just as memorable as your other trips to Oahu.

We also like doing something new when we visit Oahu. We enjoyed the private tour of Doris Duke's Islamic-style mansion as well.

Here are some items from my to do list.

Moana Surfrider Hotel tour - http://www.moana-surfrider.com/propertyoverview/hotelhistory
The Moana Hotel opened on March 11, 1901 as Waikīkī's first hotel. Affectionately called "The First Lady of Waikīkī," this iconic resort embraces true Hawaiian hospitality. Today the Moana Surfrider continues to perpetuate Hawaiian hospitality and the island's deep rooted heritage as a Westin Resort & Spa. Please join us for a historical tour every Monday and Wednesday at 11am in the Historical Room on the 2nd floor of the Banyan Wing as we step back into yesteryear with the "First Lady of Waikiki. Self-guided tour brochures are also available near the Historical Room

Royal Hawaiian Hotel tour -http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxur...ail.html?propertyID=376&activityId=1004410870
On Tuesdays and Thursdays at 1pm, guests meet at the Royal Hawaiian Bakery to begin a guided tour of our iconic resort. Learn about unique and historic hotel artifacts and the cultural importance of the resort’s sacred grounds from the days of the Hawaiian Monarchy.

Halekulani Hotel tour - https://www.halekulani.com/hotel/waikiki-legacy/tours & https://www.halekulani.com/blog/discover-history-and-heritage-halekulani
The complimentary Legacy Tour runs twice a week, on Tuesdays and Saturdays at 8:00 a.m. Please contact our Concierge to secure your place in an upcoming tour. On our 45-minute complimentary tour, our own historian, Hi’inani, will take you through the grounds of our resort and give you insight into our rich past. Learn about the native Hawaiians and their role in shaping Halekulani. Hear about the royal history of the coconut grove, the healing waters of the property and the original owners whose home was named “house befitting heaven.”

AIA Architectural Walking Tour - http://www.aiahonolulu.org/
Our AIA architectural walking tours are a great way to explore the historic downtown of Honolulu through the eyes of an architect or architectural historian. Each tour provides architectural and historical insights about the fascinating buildings in Honolulu’s downtown and Capitol District.

I generally search for ideas from the various websites such as

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We lived on Oahu long ago for two years in the 60's and have gone back about 20 times over the years. Each trip we try to see one or two new things. They're almost always some new buildings. On our last trip we saw the home which we had never seen before that is valued at over $1 billion dollars. The home was built in the 30s By Doris Duke with a seemingly unlimited budget. Is it Open only through the Honolulu museum but is a very worthwhile tour. We are getting close to ending or long flight travel journeys as we are approaching 80 and travel becomes more difficult. We are going to Oahu in December for two weeks and would like to see others post the back roads of Oahu. We own the right to use four weeks on Oahu and this will be our last usage.

Due to your age you may not want to do some of these things but these are my thoughts: Hike up Diamond Head. An 87 year old woman was up there when we were there in April. Polynesian cultural center has a new show and the villages are always entertaining. Kakaako is building up constantly with new buildings, stores, restaurants, and there is excellent graffiti art all over many of the buildings in the area; best to see it by walking but can be done by car since the area is quite large. Royal Hawaiian Band Concert on Fridays at noon at the Iolani Palace downtown. Sail Boat ride from Waikiki Beach, there are a number of boats to choose from. Submarine ride from the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Fireworks at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Friday Nights at 7:45. Also, on Friday and Saturday nights at 8:00 at the Hilton Hawaiian Village listen the Jerry Santos and his group Olomana for Hawaiian Music. Take in a Luau. The waves are starting to get big in December so a trip to the North Shore beaches would be great. A stop at Haleiwa town on the North Shore. Finally, you mention that you have two weeks booked. If this was my last trip to Hawaii I wouldn't come back until Spring or never. At the very least extend your stay the other 2 weeks you have in timeshares. If it is too late to book those weeks then I have two other choices. Give up on the idea of this being your last trip and start planning on staying 4-6 weeks next fall/winter, or if you have the money spend it on a rental or a hotel and stay for another 3 months or so. You have shown a love for Hawaii like we have, go with your heart and have a great LONG TIME.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We took my wifes parents to Oahu when they were in their early 80's. The one thing they really enjoyed was a late lunch and picnic. We went to the Rainbow Drive In and picked up the bbq ahi plates and shoyu chicken plates then went to Kapiolani Park. We sat under a huge banyan tree, had lunch and people watched. Thinking back, I really enjoyed this too.

Bill

cgeidl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your wonderful suggestions Tuggers. We will do several things we have not done before including the three historical tours at the hotels.May also visit the sugar plantation although we have done this on other islands. We like the plate lunches especially at the South Shore Grill. We probably will do Diamond Head again.Many great memories and it is always great to just breathe in the fresh air.The people of Hawaii are more generous than any other place we have visited.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We lived above the airport near the Navy/Marine golf course in a concrete block Navy Home.Not fancy but fun,Dave.

Sorry, I forgot to mention: I was a teenager then. I lived in Kailua, where I attended high school, and also lived in Honolulu off Wyllie Street near Alewa Heights. I worked in several places at Ala Moana Center, in Downtown Honolulu off Fort Street for awhile, and at several places around Kailua. Then the Draft was looming, so I joined the Navy, and left Hawaii. The rest is history, but it got under my skin - I've made dozens of trips back to the Islands since, and I'm doing it again next Spring. I never tire of being there. ;)

Dave

zora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never say never:
May 1 is Lei day; each elementary school has a May Day program at the end of April/beginning May that is so precious.
Memorial Day at Punchbowl. If you’ve never gone its something that should be experienced. Every grave has a plumeria lei and there’s a ceremony with veterans from WWII and every war after that.
The zoo has a concert every Wednesday through the summer.
Fourth of July parade in Kailua, very local.
The ukulele festival is usually the third weekend in July at the Kapiolani bandstand.
Hawaii five-O starts its season every fall with the first show on the beach at Waikiki.
And of course there’s University of Hawaii sports. Tailgating at football games is sometimes more fun than watching the game. Wahine volleyball, men’s volleyball, basketball...
You can rent a wheelchair from CR Newton (they will deliver) if that will make life easier.
Suzanne.