• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to buy?

katman81

Reaction score
Hello,

So my wife and I are finally at a point where real vacations are in our future. Family members have Worldmark timeshares currently and seem to like them for the most part. However they go to the same place all the time (Hawaii and Oregon coast). We are looking for something more expansive since we want to travel across the states and definitely overseas too.

We have done the sales presentations numerous times (just for the cheap vacation). Have said a firm no each and every time. And we are going to another one in Vegas next month for Holiday Inn Vacation Club (I have ZERO intention of buying it but it was a cheap Vegas trip). We have used the "sales pitch/strong arming" to our advantage and kept them at their 1-2 hour spiel to get our reimbursement every time. I did sales for years so dealing with the hard sale approach is second nature.

RCI points is most likely the route we will go since they have airfare in it as well but we want to get all the info before we join the membership club.

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?
Lake Tahoe or Napa Valley would likely be a go to for us since it is so close, however we want to travel abroad every year too.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
Probably visit home resort half the time.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
I guess this one is the gray area for us. But I would say our top 5 would be New York and down to DC, Ireland, Scotland, Europe, Israel.

4) How many people do you usually travel with?
2-4 (wife and I and another couple from time to time.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
Travel dates are fairly open at this time but could be more constrained once kids come into the picture.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
We are meticulous planners so this would be easy.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
Aside from the occassional weekend getaway we would vacation for 1-2 weeks at a time.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
I dont need a 5 start resort but we also want to have a decent place to relax after exploring.

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
Not looking to pay retail for a Timeshare is about the only limit. We have entertained the idea of buying a house/villa in certain areas where we may travel often.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
I would like to keep the maintenance fees below $2k/year, preferably below $1k but I know that is a bit of a unicorn.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
Very.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
Yup, fully understand that this is like owning property. You have to pay taxes on property so maintenance fees and minor taxes on this is expected.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Timeshares are good for certain kinds of vacations -- Hawaii and Oregon Coast, for example (and Orlando, Palm Springs, Hilton Head, etc.). Not so good for others (European capitals). If you're going to be traveling a lot, consider using timeshares for only the vacations where there are timeshares that work for your travel plans and use hotels (or rentals) for the others. That will allow you to buy something that works really well all of the time rather than something that will be only mediocre all of the time.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Buy a timeshare weeks(s) that will get you into Tahoe or Napa. Use it like you would use a second home- your home resort. Maybe a resale fixed week (or points) in the RCI system that you could exchange occasionally to go around the USA, including the East Coast. Buy prime time and at a decent resort so it has good trading power.

For Europe or Israel- rent.

I am a big believer in owning where you want to go most often and within driving distance, so no airfare always needed. Then- the added bonus is you can still exchange it to go elsewhere- either through RCI or other exchange companies.

PS- Using RCI points for airfare is not generally a good idea.