TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

What timeshare brand(s) should I look to purchase if I want European travel options?

Discussion in 'European Timesharing' started by Adventureisoutthere, May 18, 2018.

1. Adventureisoutthere

Adventureisoutthere TUG Member

I want the option to travel to the Caribbean, Hawaii, and Europe and beyond with my timeshare. What brand(s) give the best option for this type of travel? I want to buy resale.

Should I be looking at points? Which points? How many?

Should I be looking for a good trader week?

What exchange company is better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

The best 'fits all' would probably be RCI, if you just want one. But HGVC and Marriott have good presence in Hawaii. Marriott has some nice properties in Spain. You should know that timeshares in general, are not well located for Americans in Europe. Most are in small towns out in the countryside. Europeans LIVE in the major cities, so they want to vacation out in the country. Americans generally want to see European cities. Now, there are exceptions, but not a lot. We have exchanged RCI points into Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy, Germany, and Scotland, but use hotels in the cities.

Jim

BD7 likes this.
  3. Adventureisoutthere

Good to know. I’ve been looking at RCI and II through Wyndham and knowing I would likely need a pretty significant amount of points, it could be my best bet.

I’ve looked at HGVC and not thrilled with their options stateside to be honest.

Marriott is appealing, but from what I’m reading is not great for resales purchases due to ROFR.

Is wyndham then RCI/II a good option?

4. Passepartout

I can't answer that. Not a Wyndham owner. My RCI Points are courtesy of a VRI resort.

5. Adventureisoutthere

What is VRI?

6. Passepartout

Adventureisoutthere likes this.
  7. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Marriott's ROFR is not the main issue here. If you buy a week, you may only use II to trade and trading is like crapshoot. If you buy points, points can book into any Marriott resort through their internal system which you should have no issue booking when booking window opens. Points are expensive and if you are thinking of going to Hawaii, you need to look at something like 5,000 points. You can buy much fewer, like 1,500 points to keep the cost down, and rent one time use points from other owners to get up to the number of points that you need. A 1,500 points purchase in the retail market will cost about $11K, after paying junk fees to Marriott.

RCI and II are merely exchange companies. You need to purchase timeshare with affliliation to whichever exchange company that you want to use. Exchanging requires annual membership and escalating exchange fees. I used to exchange close to 100 percent of my stays and now I own timeshares which have internal points system to book instead.

8. Adventureisoutthere

It’s sounding more like exchanging is a huge pain and a definite added expense to consider. Thank you for the input

9. Passepartout

Exchanging is not an exact science, and in most cases were significantly to timeshare vacation costs. On the scale of cheapest to most costly, it might be fixed week. Every year you go to the same unit in the same resort the same week. It's like a second home. I have one of these and love it. Next would be owning at a resort or system with lots of internally available resorts. You just pick one from inventory and go. Higher cost is it you join an exchange - RCI or II. (About $100/yr) then deposit the week you own, and either put in for (called an ongoing search) where you really want to go, or choose from an online catalog. And pay that exchange co. $300ish more. And it gets worse. They tell you that you can exchange for flights of cruises. The deal here is that your $800-$1000 of MY will get you $300-$400 discount from full retail. Not a good deal at all.

Jim

10. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

I think Marriott Destination Points program is the most flexible and has the most travel options. With the merger with Interval, they now own Westin, Sheraton, and Hyatt. It is speculation but it is possible Marriott Vacation Club might combine the programs, offering even more travel opportunities in the destinations you mention. The downside is Points are expensive and have higher maintenance fees. I think II is heads and shoulders better than RCI - I am a member of both. I do not trade using II or RCI but I have used their Getaways. You can get excellent prices on destinations to fill in where you own timeshares with Getaways. Sometimes the Getaways are available 6-8 months in advance, which is helpful for planning.