• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What time of year for Poipu? Which resorts?

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
DH and I have decided we'd like to visit Kauai again. We've stayed a week at KBV and another week at Bali Hai, so this time we'd like to stay in or near Poipu. I know the rainy season is different for the south side from the north, so which months would offer the best weather for the Poipu area? And which resorts would you recommend we list in our OGS (RCI weeks), once we decide when we want to go? (I'll be reading reviews, but I'd love to read your individual thoughts too.)

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Unless it's changed, rainy season is Winter, same as whale season. We we there two weeks in December, and it rained 11 days. Saw whales the second week.

Lawaii Beach Resort (even in the DCB ;)) or EVR, now The Point at Poipu.

- - - - - -

I saw a guy at the golf course yesterday with a "Makai Course" (Princeville) head cover. We had a great talk. He and his wife own some sort of equity vacation program where they stay in multi-million dollar homes. Sorta timeshare on steroids.

This might be it: https://equityestatesfund.com/

Last edited:

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
When does winter end ? Would you still call march winter-rainy season.

My first choice would be
Marriott Waiohai
Sheraton Kauai Resort Villas -smaller hotel conversion but still good location. I really liked the location back when it was 100% hotel

next up
Lawai Beach Resort- not crazy about across the street from beach but a lot of people like it

Point at Poipu- not on the beach

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Kauai is rainiest from November through March and especially from December to March. The north shore is quite rainy, receiving up to 45 inches of rain per year. The east shore is less rainy, receiving up to 30 inches of rain per year. The south shore is even less rainy, with Poipu receiving up to 20 inches per year.

http://www.kauaivacationsecrets.com/kauai-weather/

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Poipu gets much less rain than the north and east shores, even in winter. We've been there several times in winter and have never had more than the passing tropical shower, with sun returning 15 minutes later. Winter is our preferred time to go, but the April-October months would be the driest, but as I said, don't base your rain expectations for Poipu on what you might expect up in Princeville or over in Kapa'a. We were at Marriott Waiohai this past February for a week and we had sun every day - one or two days were more partly cloudy or a little more, but the weather was great.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Lawai Beach Resort- not crazy about across the street from beach but a lot of people like it

Great for DIY amateur snorkeling.

We purchased disposable underwater cameras and got some decent fishy pictures.

But, then, that was back when cameras had what they called film, and you took it to WalMart to get it developed.

:cool:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Great for DIY amateur snorkeling.

We purchased disposable underwater cameras and got some decent fishy pictures.

But, then, that was back when cameras had what they called film, and you took it to WalMart to get it developed.

You can still get underwater digital cameras...they're just not disposable...

20190611_Tahiti_6110302.jpg
20190611_Tahiti_6110240.jpg

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
A little know factoid is that the first building to be rebuilt after Iniki, was the Banyan at the Lawai Beach Resort, so we were told The materials were already there, and, of course, after Iniki hit there was so much devastation that it took a long time just to get materials for rebuilding anything. After Iniki hit, Poipu resort guests were evacuated by charter boats.

http://www.drgeorgepc.com/HurricaneIniki.html

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have spent time on Kauai during every season. Our last trips to Kauai was January. We had a dry beautiful week in Poipu area and a dry beautiful week in Princeville. The worse storm to ever hit the Hanalei/Princeville area was in April several years ago.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
lol... some of those are still film cameras. I'm not sure I would know where to get film developed now. I've been 100% digital since late 2003.

Sometimes at the golf course a group will want me to take their picture on the first tee, and they all hand me their phones.

Then I say I'll take them to WalMart and have their pictures when they finish.

:confused:

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
And now back on topic pertaining to times of year . . . the rain amounts from season-to-season at Poipu did not surprise me but the amounts for Princeville did. It appears the wettest months at Princeville only see about 9 inches while the driest month is a little over 4 inches. To hear the stories about how wet it is during the winter at Princeville, I would have thought the average for the winter months would have been more.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Rain falls throughout the year in Princeville. The most rain falls during the 31 days centered around January 3, with an average total accumulation of 3.9 inches.

https://weatherspark.com/y/85/Average-Weather-in-Princeville-Hawaii-United-States-Year-Round

- - - - - -
The Weather
Because Kauai lies at the edge of the tropical zone, it technically has only twoseasons, both of them warm. The dry season corresponds to summer, and the rainy season generally runs during the winter from November to March.

Most visitors don't come to Kauai when the weather's best in the islands; rather, they come when it's at its worst everywhere else. Thus, the high season -- when prices are up and resorts are booked to capacity -- generally runs mid-December through March or mid-April. The last 2 weeks of December in particular are the prime time for travel to Kauai . . .

Whale-watching season begins in January and continues through the rest of winter, sometimes lasting into May.

https://www.frommers.com/destinations/kauai/when-to-go

(We saw our first whale the second week of December . . . from our lanai at EVR @ Poipu.)
- - - - - -
The best time of year to snorkel in Hawaii is summertime, May through September. That is not to say that if you have vacation time at another time of year that you shouldn't go to Hawaii. On every island, in almost all weather conditions, you can normally find a snorkel spot that is protected and fun, all year round.

https://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/when-to-snorkel-hawaii.html

:D

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
IME - YMMV
Summer in North Kauai
Winter in South Kauai

(In general - weather patterns and predictions can be tricky).

Usually when we are in Princeville in Sept (gorgeous) - the weather in Poipu is worse.

The rain in Princeville during Summer mostly comes during the night. Homes in the Princeville area have fireplaces for a reason, and it is not because it is cold in summertime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha,
We are on island at least twice a year for the last 18-20 years. Always there for Lei Day (May Day) and the first half of December. We also have been there many other months. October is a good month. The ocean water is still warm before winter cooling. We have been at Marriott's Waiohai in December when no sun screen needed! (I know, sunscreen every day even when sun is not out) Big rain every day! More time at the Honu Bar! Best beach bar on island! And other years no rain at all! Full blown sun every day! When staying out in Poipu area, always bring an umbrella if headed out and about, because by the time you get to Lihue, or just emerg from the Tunnel of Trees it can be pouring! Any time of the year. Think of last spring, too much rain. It's a beautiful spot. Make a reservation, go and enjoy!!! Aloha...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
It strikes me how fruitless it is to try to guess what the weather will be like some time in the future. Tomorrow is hard enough.

The most spot-on comment I found is the one saying Hawaii is busiest not because of the weather there, which is always a level of nice, but because of how bad the weather is elsewhere.

Well, almost always . . . there are those occasional Inikis.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned