• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What should I buy?

bellepepper

Reaction score
1) Where do you want your home resort to be?
- Anywhere, I want I think a point system.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
Trade more

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Not sure

4) How many people do you usually travel with?
3-5

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
Now, none yet, I have a 1yr old. In the future, when she is at school age, then yes.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
No

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
3-4

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
$5,000

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
$1200-1500

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
Most likely

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
Yes

Thanks in advance!

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Not sure
Give this one more thought. Different point systems specialize in different ways -- largely geographically. So ... where do you hope to go? Tell us your "hopes and dreams" to be met by a points-based timeshare? What did you hear at the sales table that really caught your heart?

Consider, especially with a young family, that there will be times that drive-to destinations, locations w/in ~5 hours of your home, will be a great comfort. Exotic locations and 'dream' locations are great ... but 'drive-to' are the bread and butter when life gets busy or finances run thin.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If a person can not make firm plans 13 months in Advance the Worldmark Point System will not work unless the person is happy with whatever is less over. I have heard so many complaints from people that have bought into Worldmark and then complain about never getting the "prime" locations. Many of them don't take the time to learn how to effectively use the System and don't plan far enough in advance.

bellepepper

Reaction score
Give this one more thought. Different point systems specialize in different ways -- largely geographically. So ... where do you hope to go? Tell us your "hopes and dreams" to be met by a points-based timeshare? What did you hear at the sales table that really caught your heart?

Consider, especially with a young family, that there will be times that drive-to destinations, locations w/in ~5 hours of your home, will be a great comfort. Exotic locations and 'dream' locations are great ... but 'drive-to' are the bread and butter when life gets busy or finances run thin.

I want to have more vacations, and I think having a timeshare will help me take vacations more. What enticed me in the talk was the type of set -up the room was (condo -like), unlike in the hotel. I think now that I have found TUG, timeshare is I think something I can afford (because I will buy resale and just pay maintenance fee).
I am in the Panhandle of Texas, so I think that is a good idea to have drive to the destinations. So I guess, near the Texas Panhandle.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are great ways to vacation in timeshare-like accommodations without committing yourself to paying maintenance fees till death do you part. Rent from owners, airbnb, etc. There can be an advantage to forcing yourself to vacations you've already paid for, but if you can't plan and book up to 13 months in advance, you may be very disappointed with what's available for you.

I'd suggest studying TUG posts for an extended length of time, to the point that you are able to visualize specific destinations and how you could use a points system to get to them with advanced planning, before diving in the deep end.

As far as drive-to resorts, you have Pagosa Springs in Colorado and Santa Fe and Taos in NM, Lake Sam Rayburn in DFW area (which I don't think any points system covers directly).....The Great Plains just isn't a mecca for timeshare.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I would definitely consider renting for a bit. The cost of renting is far less than the cost of developer purchase. In fact, it can be equal-to or slightly less-than the actual maintenance fees for an owner; especially in over-developed areas. (Orlando)

By renting, you could get the feel for what system , what locations and what level of accommodations fit your family. Keep in mind, while you can't plan ahead right now, that means you can travel on shorter notice. There are often some great deals--both renting and exchanging--on shorter notice. Later, when you have school schedules to deal with, ownership may make more sense, because it's difficult to rent affordable properties in peak school vacation schedule weeks.

Worldmark is a great and affordable system for points based ownership. While it can be very difficult to book weeks at less than 12 months out, it can also be pretty easy to stitch reservations together using a 'wait list' during non-peak or shoulder seasons. Also, WM trades very well in Interval and can some really great trades; especially during the <59 days before check-in.

If you end up decided to rent/try Worldmark, come back and get the info you need; where to go, what to pay, how to book.... It's a bit of a mental game to work the reservations and exchanges etc... but I think it's worthwhile. Also, WM is pretty easy to buy, sell and use without investing a lot of money. There is a very active market that will certainly buy a good contract that you no longer want; as long as the price is right.

cheers!

Timeshare map website: https://tug2.com/tsmaps/TimeshareMaps.html

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
There is Worldmark subsection under Wyndham. There is also www.wmowners.com/forum. Worldmark has 4 Resorts in Texas with additional ones at Branson, Grand Lake OK, Lake of the Ozarks, 3 in New Mexico, 5 in Utah, 4 in Neveda, 5 or 6 in Arizona, 1 in New Orleans., etc.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing about timesharing that cannot be overstressed- and the salesweasels barely mention: YOU MUST PLAN AHEAD! You cannot just pick up the phone and get a short stay at a quality resort on short notice. The most desirable resorts are all booked up- some of them over a year in advance. Oh, occasionally you'll see a cancellation, or a few days at a less-than-desirable resort during off-or shoulder season, but even that is iffy, at best.

Jim

bellepepper

Reaction score
Thank you very much everyone! I am sure reading the past posts here in TUG. So far, I think one conclusion I got is I have to really plan ahead and book a year in advance. The sales rep told me that she was able to book a 4th of July week in Orlando with something like a week planning, oh well. Probably it was true for her, but not for the majority.
Question: If I rent, is that how far out I should check, a year? I usually plan 4 months prior to the vacation. Now that I don't have school schedule yet, I can travel in the shoulder season. I see on the threads in the last minute rentals, the latest date is Nov 20, I don't plan that short of a notice though and can't vacation that short of a notice

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The sales rep told me that she was able to book a 4th of July week in Orlando with something like a week planning, oh well. Probably it was true for her, but not for the majority.

Orlando is way overbuilt with timeshares, which means there is almost always availability there. This is not true for most other locations, which require advanced planning.

That being said, the bottom line is that sales people will say whatever you want to hear to get you to buy, so you cannot trust anything they tell you.

With a timeshare, 4 months is not enough time to get nice resorts for your preferred dates.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Even when I book a rental through Home Away, I book a year in advance. You would be surprised how booked up they get.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
The map is not loading for me. :(

The map is listed https (secure) but the scripts are not secure. Therefore, it violates many of the security protocols for browsers or virus protection software. If you have the capability in your browser, you can authorized the website permission to access 'unsafe or unsecure' scripts. It is working, just not properly. I'll forward to admin....it's had problems before.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Thank you very much everyone! I am sure reading the past posts here in TUG. So far, I think one conclusion I got is I have to really plan ahead and book a year in advance. The sales rep told me that she was able to book a 4th of July week in Orlando with something like a week planning, oh well. Probably it was true for her, but not for the majority.
Question: If I rent, is that how far out I should check, a year? I usually plan 4 months prior to the vacation. Now that I don't have school schedule yet, I can travel in the shoulder season. I see on the threads in the last minute rentals, the latest date is Nov 20, I don't plan that short of a notice though and can't vacation that short of a notice

I'd say this: there are two kinds of timeshare users. Power users--those who become deeply involved and knowledgeable (or lucky) and do the impossible, booking up to the day before leaving on vacation. Normal users--those who book and plan their vacations ahead (>9 mos) and don't spend much time chasing the impossible.

It would be a real mistake to buy a timeshare thinking the impossible will come true.

That being said....you either need to book >9 mos (12 mos in most systems) or book last minute (<59 days) and go where the going is good. That doesn't work well for most people.

Cheers!

bellepepper

Reaction score
I have realized from the posts that I should be booking much way earlier than I am. I think I can actually book 12 months in advance, I just haven't done that before. Thanks again everyone!

bellepepper

Reaction score
The map is listed https (secure) but the scripts are not secure. Therefore, it violates many of the security protocols for browsers or virus protection software. If you have the capability in your browser, you can authorized the website permission to access 'unsafe or unsecure' scripts. It is working, just not properly. I'll forward to admin....it's had problems before.
It would be great if this map can load.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My one resort sold to many autoworkers who built cars ... the plants used to close down for the 2 weeks starting July 4th Holiday. Hence, this resort SOLD/packaged, "2 weeks in the same unit" sales for week 26 & 27. Half the units those 2 weeks were the families of auto workers. Beach resort area .. good vacationing time with them.

Now, if they SOLD 4 weeks in the same unit .. a block in Jan, then Feb, and then Mar ... the resort could REALLY make some money. Or I could. South Florida .. 1 block to beach .. in Ft Lauderdale. Just the MFs for a 4 weeks in a 1bdr would be about $3100 per month.

e.bram

Reaction score
My one resort sold to many autoworkers who built cars ... the plants used to close down for the 2 weeks starting July 4th Holiday. Hence, this resort SOLD/packaged, "2 weeks in the same unit" sales for week 26 & 27. Half the units those 2 weeks were the families of auto workers. Beach resort area .. good vacationing time with them.

Now, if they SOLD 4 weeks in the same unit .. a block in Jan, then Feb, and then Mar ... the resort could REALLY make some money. Or I could. South Florida .. 1 block to beach .. in Ft Lauderdale. Just the MFs for a 4 weeks in a 1bdr would be about $3100 per month.
It is either ON the beach or it is NOT!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
My suggestion is buy where you want to stay, and you might just go back there all the time. We just came back from Texas we stayed just outside Austin. As you probably know Texas is growing, with houses, condos business and timeshares. Look at Galveston, South Padre Island, lots of great places in Texas. Check the Marketplace on TUG to see if there are rentals or weeks available or points?
Silentg

lauramiddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark books 7 or more night stays at 13 months out. The most popular resorts fill within minutes (Hawaii, West Coast summer, special event weeks, etc) But you can also waitlist and many of those requests get filled (75% of mine have filled). The system also has a generous cancellation policy (30 days) so go ahead and make a reservation 13 months out and cancel if needed.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
e.bram ....

There are almost NO beachfront resorts in Ft Lauderdale. A1A ... aka Ocean Drive separates the beach sands and the buildings. It is a beautiful drive until a good storm comes thru .. then the beach & ocean are both on Ocean Drive. It is a barrier island. So to be oceanfront, you have to cross the highway. To have an oceanfront view, you just have to be above the 3nd floor.

But I can see the beach, watch the ocean and look at the cruise ships leaving government cut, walk to the water in 5 minutes ... and the condos behind this resort sell immediately for a 1950s building in under 1 day for over a $1MM each.

Marriott Beachplace has a 4 lane section of A1A to cross ...price tags and MFs are WAY HIGHER just a long mile further south.