TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

What should I buy? Survey

Discussion in 'New to Timesharing? Look Here!' started by Dionarya, May 5, 2018.

1. Dionarya

Dionarya Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Sunset Royal
    1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?
    We try and take the following vacations each year.
    1 - Disney
    2 - A beach somewhere or vegas
    3 - overseas ( only been to Canun so far but we would like to travel other places )

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? at least half time

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
    It used to be Mexico but not sure with all the new violence that's started so Hawaii or Florida but I'm thinking we want the home resort in FL.

4) How many people do you usually travel with? 2 just the fiance and I

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
    Travel anytime. No kids and prefer to travel when school is in session.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
    Yes definitley

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
    Yes so in the years to come it will probably be 2 full weeks of vacay and a long weekend ( Thurs - Sun )

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
    3-5

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
    about 8k

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
    about $800 - 1K

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
    YES

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? YES

2. RNCollins

RNCollins TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House
  3. K2Quick

K2Quick TUG Member

Since it's just the two of you traveling, I guess I'd be curious to know what your goals are with timesharing that you can't satisfy with hotels or other vacation rentals. If your goals are to save some money over hotels, you can probably save a little bit with a decent amount of planning - even more so if you plan on preparing most of your food in the unit, but you are eliminating a lot of flexibility by vacationing with timeshares vs. hotels. That's not necessarily a bad thing (staying in hotels with kids now is a painful experience after many years in timeshares now), just realize that your vacationing options will be more limited.

So with that caveat, the option I'd throw out there is HGVC - just buy the cheapest maintenance fee 7,000 point contract you can find. It seems to fit with your destination wish list. You should easily be able to get a couple weeks of vacation out of that if you're traveling offseason. An HGVC membership comes with an included RCI membership. Maintenance fees are probably on the high end of your range. I'm not an HGVC owner, but there's a lot of good information on the HGVC board and a bunch of people willing to answer your questions.

4. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison
    In reading the OP, one question that comes to mind is how long will it be just the two of you? I'm pointing this out as I think back through our own experiences as our family grew (and now has contracted back to two). If y'all plan to start a family within the next 3-5 years, you may want to consider how having kids will affect your travel needs and preferences. At this point in life, a lot of your traveling years might involve kids - even though you don't have them now - so you might want to factor this consideration in now even though you are (at present) a duo.

5. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison
    Oops - I meant to add this. Our first TS purchase was a red week in mid August at LaCosta Beach Club. That worked fine when we were without kids, but when we had kids and they headed off to school, our school year starts in mid August. As it turns out, we have never stayed at this resort because we always traded for other locations so it can still work for you but the kid factor is something to consider.

6. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

I am copying this from another post because you appear to be young young and will have many expenses ahead as a married couple:

This is a luxury purchase. You should only buy a timeshare if you have extra disposable income e.g.

1) Have you purchased your own home and do not struggle to afford all the payments, maintenance and upcoming renovations that will be needed?
    2) Are you setting enough money aside every month for your retirement?
    3) Are you setting enough money aside every month for your children's college fund? (College is expensive!)
    4) Have you paid off all of your credit card or other debt (except for mortgage)?

If any of these are "NO" you are not ready to buy a timeshare. Renting is a lot less risky because you can save up what you need and plan your vacation against your budget without a long term commitment.

Good luck with your decision.

taterhed likes this.
  7. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin WKORV OFD
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Worldmark x2
    Agree with the above poster. I love my timeshares, why are you interested in timeshares vs hotels?

I think that you might be a very good fit for HGVC-as suggested above-or maybe a Marriott.
    You would need to reconsider the financial aspect: Good ownerships in both can be had for less than $8k, but you'll be very challenged to keep the annual MF's below $1000 for anything but a studio rental. I personally think studios are good for lock-offs, but I'm not a fan of owning a studio as your primary ownership. If you can adjust your purchase price down and increase your expected annual MF to 1000-1500 range, then I think Marriott might be a good fit.

Respond with your thoughts and I'll be glad to expand my suggestions.....

cheers.

8. GT75

GT75 Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC-x6
    I see that you currently have a Mexican TS and are in the process of rescinding a Wyndham TS. I would suggest that you relax and begin trying to understand which system (if any) best meets your needs. Take your time, don't make another hasty wrong decision.

With that said, I do agree that HGVC is worth considering (but might need to increase the budget for MFs). A couple of advantages to HGVC is that resale owners are treated to almost all of the same benefits as developer owners and it is very easy to trade within the HGVC point-based system to another resort or a different unit.