• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Should I Buy? Need Help Please as I would like to purchase a T-S for our Family ASAP.

moetown

Reaction score
Hello -

I just joined the TUG forums so I'm really looking forward to some advice and assistance from the seasoned TUG members. As for some family background, we are a family of four with two seven year olds and just started going on an annual vacation last year (as we went to Myrtle Beach and LOVED it). We haven't went this year as we just purchased a puppy a month ago so we're going to see if we can squeeze somewhere into OBX or MB 08.03-08.10 (if you have a TS to rent, please send me a message!). Anyways, I thought it would be nice to purchase a TS to ensure we take one vacation as a family a year. I've been looking at purchasing a Hilton TS but just missed on one as it was exercised. So without further ado...

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where? We live near the East Coast so we would visit there 95% of the time, generally from NYC-to-OBX/MB (more-so the latter locations).

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? I would like to purchase a TS as inexpensively as possible and am assuming we would never visit our home resort.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations? 1.) MB, 2.) OBX, 3.) Orlando, 4.) NYC, 5.) Anywhere else between MB and Jersey Shore (the kiddo's LOVE the beach as we typically drive to our destinations so they would need to be situated on the East Coast and close to Pennsylvania).

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself? Four total but would like the occasional option to also include my brother's family of four (2-parents and 2-kids, 13 and 10 y.o.).

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? We would travel primarily during the summer as my wife and kiddos have off from school/work.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? Sure we could.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? Yes at a min. as I like to also stay 9-to-10 total days so we get a full relaxing vacation as we typically drive to our destination.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 4 stars and up.

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? We would like to keep the initial purchase price around $5K but could flex upward for the right TS (up to $10K but would prefer, like anything else, to keep our upfront costs as low as possible).

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? Ideally, I would like to be less than $1,500.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? Not really as I like our vacations to be low-key, unplanned and relaxing.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? Yes, this is an investment in family happiness and togetherness.

Thank you in advance for helping as I think a TS would be great as we stayed at a resort in MB and our bill was $4K for the week. Again, I almost purchased a Hilton TS earlier this week but it was exercised (7K points) and my total costs would have been around $7K for the initial buy-in. Lastly, based upon which TS the community thinks is best, where is the best location / person / website to purchase?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshare stays have to be planned. Strike one. You won't get a 4 star TS for $1500 a year MF. strike two. Beach locations in high season (Summer & School vacations) are in high demand. They are often sold out a full year in advance. You will need 2- and 3 bedroom accommodations- those are not plentiful. Strike three.

You need to either modify your priorities or sweeten the pot with more money. Timeshares are luxury goods and should NEVER be financed. If you can't pay for it with ready (extra) cash, you can't afford it.

Best Wishes, And Welcome to TUG!

Jim

moetown

Reaction score
Thanks Jim for the feedback and maybe my original post was misleading as I would like to change a few of your 'strikes' to 'balls'. First, we can plan well in advance, over a year if need be. And we can sweeten the pot with additional money as we are not financing anything and never do. If the 2- and 3 bedroom accommodations are not plentiful, can you let me know what initial payment range I need to be in to get what we want?

Thanks Jim and looking forward to contributing in the community!

Dave

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Research and take your time. Rent this year. Ready the stickies for HGVC , Marriott, and Westin. They all have TS in MB. However you need to decide which TS system works for you first.

moetown

Reaction score
Thanks SteelerGal for the feedback and I hope your "Steeler" name is for/from Pittsburgh, we're season ticket holders!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
First, we can plan well in advance, over a year if need be. And we can sweeten the pot with additional money as we are not financing anything and never do. If the 2- and 3 bedroom accommodations are not plentiful, can you let me know what initial payment range I need to be in to get what we want?
If you are committed to the 4+ star 'quality' range, you are relegated to the hotel branded TSs. Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, etc. I'll tell you that there are a lot of other groups that provide great vacations that don't sell at the premium that those do. I am not in the business, but can tell you that there are some brokers that are TUG members who deal exclusively with the higher end resales- and have experience getting them through ROFR. Seth Nock, Judi Kozlowski are a couple. There are more. As you research in the HGVC and Marriott forums their names will pop up.

It has been brought up, but remains true. Rent for a while. Try different systems, so you'll know the difference. You live in the most populous part of the country and of necessity are trying to vacation at the same time as millions of others. Don't be surprised if you have to spend a good bit to compete for the space you want. Timeshares are not like hotel rooms. Hotels often run at about 65-70% occupancy, where timeshares are at very close to 100% occupancy as long at 10 months to a year before check in.

Jim

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I give the same advice to everyone, so I sound like a broken record, but here goes:

Buy Sheraton Broadway Plantation in Myrtle Beach. They are literally free on eBay. One eBay listing I saw today included a $250 gift for taking the week. I saw a $1 bid on it.

You said you loved Myrtle Beach, and that is just an automatic plus, and it's a great trader in II. You could buy a 2 bedroom lockoff unit and use it for two trades in II. The fees are about $1,204. Or you could buy a dedicated 2 bedroom with fees of $965.

I am relatively certain you can get Outer Banks with a ongoing search request through II, but Outer Banks is a tough get, and many TUG members do rent those cheaply.

NYC is tough to get through II, but I have had success one time, and the dates didn't work because I already booked something else. That is my only hesitation in my recommendation for you.

To book your home resort for a prime summer week, you need to first buy a week at SBP that floats 9-43. Then you need to pay your fees ahead of the due date of 1/1. I pay mine in June to get June of next year. Be sure you book exactly a year out to get dates in late June through July.

I love the idea of Hilton. I would contact Seth Nock at Sellingtimeshares.net for a good Hilton deal that will pass ROFR. You definitely want to buy somewhere with low fees and with the higher level of membership.

I have also had great luck with trades with my Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort weeks. Those trade with RCI, and so does Hilton. But RCI is not what it used to be, and if you don't up your membership to Platinum with RCI, you will not see as much inventory, and that is a cold, hard fact. I know because I have 3 RCI accounts and one is platinum, the others are not. It's frustrating to have various levels of membership like RCI has. And exchange fee is $239 with RCI, only $209 with II. Presidential Villas 3 bedroom lockoff units can be had in summer for about $1,500 with closing costs included. It would be my 3rd choice.

I do like the Hilton idea. Some will say Wyndham, too, but there is great competition to get Myrtle Beach through Wyndham, so you would have to book right at 12 months to get anything with Wyndham points. And it ain't cheap to book Myrtle Beach in the summer.

I just love SBP. Have I said that enough, as a person who has owned timeshare for 38 years and has tried a lot of different ones? LOL!

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I agree with Cindy: buy Sheraton Broadway Plantation. Buy in the original ("Plantation") section; if summer season is weeks 9-43 + 47, it is Plantation section. And contrary to almost every other timeshare, the deeded week (i.e. the week nmber shown on your deed) is significant.

At SBP, an owner can reserve her deeded week 24 months in advance. So if you buy a deeded summer week, you are guaranteed it; you can also reserve any week in your season twelve months in advance.

You cost should be $0 or close to it, MF's are as Cindy described, and the unit trades well in Interval if you want to do something different any particular year.

Full disclosure: I used to own two SBP weeks. I never stayed there (my son did), but they were killer traders.

moetown

Reaction score
I really appreciate all of the responses as there is WAY more to learn and understand than I initially envisioned! So, thanks to everyone that is taking the time out of their to help; it is appreciated!

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

moetown

Reaction score
Thanks Sandy for providing the chart; it is appreciated...

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I would look into HGVC as I feel that would be a good fit for you.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Mmmm.

So, I'll definitely second some advice above:
  • SBP is virtually free, cheap and will get you some nice trades. Plus, you can use it (Bonus!!).
  • HGVC has a great program, versatile and very good quality. At the top of your price range with RCI (yuck).
  • Marriott was dismissed. I'm not sure why.....a descent lower-end Marriott trader can be had cheap and has MF's around $1500 (maybe a little more?)
    • I just checked Interval 'instant' exchange with Marriott:
      • Grande Vista weeks (2019) in July, Aug, early Sept. 2 and 3 bdrms.
      • SVV weeks---too many to list
      • Oceana Palms, Beachplace Towers 2brs in Aug,
  • I saw pretty much all of the Marriott's with my Worldmark as well. They are inside 60 days, so probably no preference.
The key to enjoying a timeshare isn't the low-cost and/or low maintenance fees----it's the ability to use and enjoy what you bought.
That being said, don't buy above your means.

Trading isn't easy...but it can be rewarding.
Start small.....explore and enjoy....add more if you can use/afford more.

Cheers.

The SBP wouldn't be a bad place to start IMHO. If you can afford it.....a Marriott trader would also be a great tool to great vacations after a little practice.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
O.P. says he has new puppy. Do they want to take the dog on vacation with them? If that was the case, they might consider a dog friendly timeshare near the beach where they like to go.

If they don’t need to take dog, I also like idea of Sheraton Broadway Plantation as trader. I believe someone is giving away a two bedroom for free with seller paying closing costs as well here on TUG right now. I would be very tempted by this if I did not already own there.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Good point about poochy.

Timeshares do not mix very well with pets.
Of course, neither do most 4* resorts etc...

moetown

Reaction score
Thanks for the latest responses. We do not have to take the poochy with us as she will stay with family while we're on vacation. I did have someone recommend the Grand Dunes to me earlier today as an excellent ts choice (2BR, at $9-13K)... but did say Hilton is great as well. "It is like choosing between a BMW and Mercedes" is how it was put to me.

Also, we going to try and "squeeze" in a vacation somewhere into OBX or MB 08.03-08.10 (if you have a TS to rent, please send me a message as we're still looking!).

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Well, SBP is more like a Dodge Caravan, if Marriott and Hilton are Mercedes and BMW. It's actually a pretty good analogy, if you are a car person.

Hilton is a good choice and gives you a lot of flexibility, and that "in" for Hilton NYC is always a nice option.

I would still take the SBP to try timeshare out. I have been timesharing a long time, and the trading power is excellent.

HDiaz1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark the Club.
My opinion will be based on Wyndham since it’s what I own.
Myrtle Beach - Wyndham has lots of options.
There’s also New York City, Atlantic City NJ, Washington DC and some options for Virginia.
Great options for Orlando and the Panhandle FL area.
I’m short you have lots of options if you live in the east coast.

You will most likely need around 250,000 for a 2 bedroom. You can probably buy for under $3,000 all fees included. Maintenance fees will be around/under $1,500/yr.

Good luck.

e.bram

Reaction score
In TUG marketplace there is summer Newport Overlook in Jamestown, RI for about $2000.00. A great deal in a great resort. 2 br. townhouse.

PS. Not I selling. I have 3 weeks there or I would buy it!

rrsafety

Reaction score
Two seven year olds? Say no to TS. When they get busy as they age there is little time for vacation planned a year ahead.
Oh, they made the playoffs in club soccer? Finals are on Long Island in June.
You want to to make the high school team? Four week camp in July.
Christmas vacation? Basketball practice.
Got the lead role in community theatre? Sudden two month commitment.
Don’t fool yourself about planning; you can’t.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The post above this is pretty negative. Exchanging SBP is easy, because if you cannot use it this year, you can deposit it into II, giving you over two years to use it. So if I cancelled a week I booked for tomorrow for a family emergency, or whatever, I can call today to Vistana, and they would deposit it, and it's not a late deposit into II. I get full trading power for the week.

I advised one of my husband's firefighter friends to buy SBP, and they loved their first week so much, they bought six more. They just got back from a 2-week Maui trip. This is the way to travel, and it can be inexpensive, if you cook in the unit. You cannot cook in a hotel room.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure you can. I bought my first timeshare when my kids were 6 and 8. They are now 18 and 20, both in College. Both were multi-sport athletes, musicians, etc. as they were growing up with all of the craziness that went with it. We made it work, but it did require *planning*, and making it a priority.

For example, Michigan high school athletics has a state-wide "dead week" in the summer when coaches are not allowed to work with athletes, so we would plan one of our vacations for that week, knowing that it limited the time someone might miss something. (Of course, coaches can just happen to work in a non-school program that athletes can just happen to sign up for, but...)

That doesn't solve the last-minute things. But, we made it clear that some of those things would have to be missed because the family had scheduled time together. Got an invitation to play up to the next age group for their tournament during our vacation? Unfortunately, we have to say no to that one. Our attitude was that neither kid was going to go pro or get a college scholarship doing any of their extra-curricular activities, so there was no reason they couldn't miss one or two events per year. You just can't do everything, even if you don't take any vacations at all. We did cut back---when they were younger, we took three or four weeks of vacation per year, but in high school it was more like one or two. But, we made those few a priority.

As it happened, the younger was recruited by several D1 schools for his primary sport, but decided he did not want to be a varsity athlete in college. That was fine with us; we were not depending on a scholarship to pay for it. In the end, he ended up with a small scholarship from his secondary sport---the donor who established the fund created it for high school athletes in this sport that did *not* participate in it on the varsity level in college. Then, to make it even more amusing, the older one is the one who competes intercollegiately (club, not varsity, so no financial support) despite being an good-but-not-exceptional athlete in high school. And, that's in a sport she never even watched before going to college! So, the lesson for us is that we can't predict a thing.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Two seven year olds? Say no to TS. When they get busy as they age there is little time for vacation planned a year ahead.
Oh, they made the playoffs in club soccer? Finals are on Long Island in June.
You want to to make the high school team? Four week camp in July.
Christmas vacation? Basketball practice.
Got the lead role in community theatre? Sudden two month commitment.
I would like to make a very sincere point here. You need to take vacations especially when you have kids because if you take so much time for everything else you don't take vacations, they will never take vacations with their families either.

School, sports working and other things are always important, but family vacations are important as well.

Tater on my Note8 tapatalk

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I agree that sports are very secondary to family time.
We have children around the same age and involved in a # of extra curricular activities as well as therapies. Advance planning actually ensures we take vacations which will create ever lasting memories. We have 2 week long vacations already and we still have to decide on Ski Week, Spring Break and Winter Break. Unfortunately we won’t be able to vacation during all those times due to our work schedules. Case in point, one of those weeks is in Hawaii off season. We will get work packets from school for that week.(Btw because my children often attend summer school, we literally only get a month for summer vacation).
Make memories w/ your family. Life truly is too short.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Baloney. Both of my kids participated in competitive sports. My daughter played year round two sports at a time in HS and was a D1 athlete in college. We were always able to find time to go on vacation - including a summer trip to Italy for 2 weeks. Did we sometimes have to change plans? Sure but get a flexible points program like HGVC and you can cancel reservations 31 days in advance and book less than a week at a time. Sports schedules are always laid out in advance so you can plan around it. I can only recall 2 occasions in 8 years when we had to change our plans and we saved our points and the change fees were minimal.

If you can understand how a timeshare system works and plan a timeshare vacation, you have to skills to plan around your kids extracurricular schedule.

Last edited: